• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 - Xbox One Impressions + Bonus XB1 Controller Impressions & Vid

pixlexic

Banned
I just think the battlefield guys greatly over estimated the next gen hardware when making this game.

I hope the ps4 version does not suffer as well.

I also hope it's not a frostbite 3 issue... Because I want da3 to shine.

IN&OUT

Banned
MS spent $100m dollar to ruin X360 good controller. they should have kept everything the same and just replace the d-pad.

That would have cost $3 :)

Its literally going gold this month....They'll be working hard on it, but remember it takes 4 weeks to sign, press and distribute a AAA game.

About the Dev kits, that's not an issue, games will still be shown on dev kits next E3 on both PS4 and XB1, It's just the way it works.

About the controller? I've heard it's a step back form the x360 controller, but it's still a very good controller. though I've only heard that form friends, Haven't had hands on myself yet.

Massive day 1 patching incoming

I just think the battlefield guys greatly over estimated the next gen hardware when making this game.

From playing PC version, game seems VERY CPU heavy.

derFeef

MS spent $100m dollar to ruin X360 good controller. they should have kept everything the same and just replace the d-pad.

That would have cost $3 :)

While I am getting worried, those are isolated impressions it seems. Still getting my hands on during the Road Show and see for myself. Mind you there are also people that don#t like the 360 pad triggers and bumpers.

ramb0211

Banned
I don't get people who use their index fingers for both trigger and bumper. I understand the claw, and I use middle fingers on triggers/index on bumpers, but using one finger for both makes no sense to me when your middle fingers aren't being used for anything.

velociraptor

The fact the thumbsticks travel such a short distance in the 360 controller is bad enough. I hope the DS4 is similar to the DS3 in that respect. It gives a far greater degree of control when aiming.

Tsundere

Banned
There were people concerned about somethings about it, but not out right hate it like this person.

There isn't. I think it is the TV, but I could be wrong.

Looks like the frames were modified near the end to make it a lot slower than it is. She never moved that slowly from what I remember.

Hoo-doo

Banned
That's because they're not.

Do you know what mixed even means?

When some people feel the thing is a step back from the previous controller, i'd say that counts as a negative impression.
Also, in comparison of the two next-gen controllers, the Xbone pad rarely came out on top, if ever.

I'm looking forward to fondling both new controllers in the near future though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Only signed software runs on actual hardware. They will be showing off the game on dev kits until it goes gold and actual retail discs are pressed.

Also what they are showing now isn't necessarily where they are in development as of now. The builds they show are usually atleast a couple months old. There's a process which I can get extrapolate on if people are interested. I'm feeling lazy though.

That'd be good when you get a chance - maybe a new thread? I haven't been involved with TRC submission type stuff for maybe 10+ years, it'd be interesting to see how things have changed (I'm assuming quite a lot more complicated for starters)

While I am getting worried, those are isolated impressions it seems. Still getting my hands on during the Road Show and see for myself. Mind you there are also people that don#t like the 360 pad triggers and bumpers.

Can't wait to read your impressions. Hopefully the impulse triggers will be activated this time...

Only thing I'm worried about concerning the controller is that I've heard a few times from some of our very own here that the sticks far less tighter than those on the 360. My biggest complaint about the DS3 are how loose the sticks feel, while the biggest praise on the 360 controller are the tightness of the sticks.

I dearly hope those impressions were exaggerations.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Shocking news guys, some people aren't going to like the controller.

Way more worried about the state of the game at this point.

ethomaz

Banned
Who else had a bad opinion of the controller? He's the first one I've ever heard of.
Gamescom impression thread have a lot of complain about it.... the impression are mixed here in GAF... some loved and some hated. The only coincidence is that in both sides loved the 360 controller.

Yeah, it's not final but the fact that it looks and sounds terrible at this point is pretty worrying and suggests that they might be rushing it out.
There's way too many factors in play for me to really speculate about it so I won't try to. I'm in wait and see mode right now. If the build they bring to the launch event is crap then we'll know the deal.

velociraptor

Only thing I'm worried about concerning the controller is that I've heard a few times from some of our very own here that the sticks far less tighter than those on the 360. My biggest complaint about the DS3 are how loose the sticks feel, while the biggest praise on the 360 controller are the tightness of the sticks.

Tight sticks are horrible imo. It's so much easier to play FPS games with the PS3 pad for that reason.

E92 M3

All they had to do was fix the D-Pad and maybe make it a bit prettier - that's it. The 360 controller is my favorite from any generation. Haven't tried the new X1 controller, but these impressions worry me. I'm really trying to stick with Microsoft next gen, but it's getting awfully hard.

And I love the tight sticks - tighter the better.

I didn't have any problems with the sticks in terms of how loose they were. Sticks were fine, better than on the 360 controller because they have a deeper circular bit in the middle which won't rub down with a lot of use and will keep the grip.

Spookie

Only thing I'm worried about concerning the controller is that I've heard a few times from some of our very own here that the sticks far less tighter than those on the 360.

They are super loose, maybe not Dual Shock 3 loose but fairly close. The triggers feel odd when there isn't any rumble/resistance in them (though feeling the tyres lock in Forza was nice) and the bumpers are SUPER clicky and cheap. From everyone I spoke to last week at Eurogamer Expo who used both everyone preferred the DS4.

Edit: For reference loved 360 pad. Absolutely hated the DS3.

Skeff

Massive day 1 patching incoming

Yep, I expect every AAA game releasing for next gen to have a significant performance difference between shipped 1.00 and day one 1.01.

Also as Mortimer states, these shows don't neccesarily have the most up to date build, only the most stable build. Every build that goes to a show needs to have significant QA, there's no reason to spend so many resources to constantly change the preview build, unless you have a significantly better build, which is also stable.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I know DICE is one of the devs that pulls things through at the last minute but I really hope this game isn't a mess on next gen.

Dice have never been very good at optimizing for consoles. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the PS4 version is shoddy too.

Swarming101

Hardly the first negative impression someone has had of the XBO controller. A number of people I've seen have said that the bumpers are really bad. Not exactly glowing praise here though. That lag is pretty horrific, but is that a hardware or a software issue?

aly

Nope sorry, I'm not buying those controller impressions. I'll see for myself.

Why is it so hard to understand that this is an opinion. When you try out the controller you may like it, but that dose'nt make this impression any less valid.

Chozolore

Dice have never been very good at optimizing for consoles. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the PS4 version is shoddy too.

I've never felt frostbites efficiency is good on pc or console. PS3's BF's were marred by the poor framerate, a good fps I happen to think is important in a shooter. I personally think Frostbite is overrated, very nice visuals produced but not as efficiently as it probably should.

KoopaTheCasual

Hardly the first negative impression someone has had of the XBO controller. A number of people I've seen have said that the bumpers are really bad. Not exactly glowing praise here though. That lag is pretty horrific, but is that a hardware or a software issue?

I'm gonna chalk that one up to the TV itself. I wouldn't worry about that too much.

E92 M3

They are super loose, maybe not Dual Shock 3 loose but fairly close. The triggers feel odd when there isn't any rumble/resistance in them (though feeling the tyres lock in Forza was nice) and the bumpers are SUPER clicky and cheap. From everyone I spoke to last week at Eurogamer Expo who used both everyone preferred the DS4.

Edit: For reference loved 360 pad. Absolutely hated the DS3.

Ugh - hate the sound of that!

Lynn616

I have heard plenty of positive impressions about the X1 controller.

If hearing a few people have negative views about a product, I would literally never buy anything....

I think I'll be my own judge tbh.

From my experience, the Xbone controller is outstandingly good. I really can't share the scathing impressions presented in the OP.

I'd still give the nod to the DS4, but I actually suspect that I feel this way because it's such a massive improvement over the DS3, whereas the Xbone controller is merely a refinement of the 360 controller.

The DS4 made me actually excited to play a Playstation game for the first time in years. The DS so far has been one of my least favourite controllers with horrible analog sticks, and bad ergonomy. The DS4 just felt right from the moment I touched it. It's night and day, with vastly improved analog sticks over the DS3 and much much better ergonomic design.

That said, the Xbone controller was exactly what I expected.

I've never felt frostbites efficiency is good on pc or console. PS3's BF's were marred by the poor framerate, a good fps I happen to think is important in a shooter. I personally think Frostbite is overrated, very nice visuals produced but not as efficiently as it probably should.

Have you played the PC beta version yet lol.

I was going to give them the benefit of the doubt regarding PC, because of course some people can just overpower their unoptimized code.

But yeah, I've always felt Dice's work on Battlefield was shoddy and sloppy in many ways. It's one of the biggest reasons I've never been that impressed by their games. Say what you want about COD and Infinity Ward, but those guys deliver a polished experience day one. The framerate is solid, there is no screen tearing, the gameplay is tight, and the servers almost always work.

HariKari

I was going to give them the benefit of the doubt regarding PC, because of course some people can just overpower their unoptimized code.

But yeah, I've always felt Dice's work on Battlefield was shoddy and sloppy in many ways. It's one of the biggest reasons I've never been that impressed by their games. Say what you want about COD and Infinity Ward, but those guys deliver a polished experience day one. The framerate is solid, there is no screen tearing, the gameplay is tight, and the servers almost always work.

The technical underpinnings of CoD haven't changed in a decade. Sure, they'll splice in a thing or two, but it's still rocking those Quake tracers. I'll give DICE credit for trying to move the football forward with Frostbite 3. The beta melting machines has more to do with absolutely awful drivers and DirectX optimization than anything else. The consoles should be a smooth 60fps with relatively nice textures and lighting.

heelo

Banned
I find it difficult to lend a lot of credibility to a guy who kills the XB1 controller (or any first-party controller) so thoroughly.

It comes off like nerd rage.

There are even people with titans getting like 20fps lol

Majanew

Banned
Don't seem to lie anywhere (at the moment).

You can have an agenda and still talk about shitty games on your preferred platform.

And he says BF4 only looks slightly better on Xbox One than the 360 version -- yeah sure it does. But then he followed that comment with "50% better." Which is it? Slightly or 50%?

Top Bottom