• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ryse: Son of Rome combat vidoc and singleplayer footage

While the graphics are looking better then current gen, it's nothing like the story trailer was

Exactly . In game graphics are not mind blowing.

lol......

Story Trailer:
i6NLoQkPJREl3.png

Realtime Gameplay:
iZdPMTXvIdm3w.png

Story Trailer:
iuoNaYsi2BM5.png

i3SRdXWCytDYU.png

Realtime Gameplay:
ibhVlFI1WEMnyd.png

iX1GYRwQtm96f.png

ibb04UEn2p1uGQ.png

whoops my bad. its hard to keep track of everything.

The cboat and thruway, always end up in the same threads.

still, dat downgrade

Wat downgrade?

everything about this game looks good... except the non QTE combat... which is most of the gameplay.

Would love to be proven wrong though. does the xbox bangbus have this for demoing?

Yeah, I can tell by looking at it that I will have an absolute blast with it. Like I said before, I think most of the criticisms are coming from people who are just jaded as hell with good old hack n' slash fun. But I'm not. I'll always love games like this and am not expecting someone to come along and reinvent the wheel. It looks more than fine for what it is.

Yep, I think it works just fine as is. It's pretty obvious that it will get torn apart in some reviews for being that type of game (or for other reasons), but I couldn't care less. I have a policy of generally ignoring reviews for games I'm interested in. I form my own view based on what I play, and then I check out reviews afterwards to see which one I agree with the most.

So it works in reverse. I review the reviews of certain games, but I don't allow their opinion to dictate my view of any game. I pretty much do a similar thing for certain previews also, but it isn't as blanket a rule as I have in place for reviews. Some previews are worth reading, even ones with criticisms for games you like based on what you've seen or read yourself elsewhere. However, there are times when you have your outright troll previews that are generally worth ignoring altogether.

lol......

Story Trailer:
i6NLoQkPJREl3.png

Realtime Gameplay:
iZdPMTXvIdm3w.png

Story Trailer:
iuoNaYsi2BM5.png

i3SRdXWCytDYU.png

Realtime Gameplay:
ibhVlFI1WEMnyd.png

iX1GYRwQtm96f.png

ibb04UEn2p1uGQ.png

Wat downgrade?

Holy shit haha. Talk about a smack in the mouth for those talking about downgrades. it looks the same... This post is perfection.

Can they release a update that would stop the character from preforming the action without pushing a button?

I'm not sure what you mean here, but you trigger executions by pressing the trigger button. However, you don't have to use the executions. You can kill enemies all using the basic combat system if you wish. The players in the footage released are choosing to execute enemies with the fancy slo mo animations.

It's more like the reloading in Gears of War. Time it right for bonuses.

Good example. That's exactly what it is.

Time it right and get one of four bonuses.

More XP
More health
More damage
A boost to focus gauge?

And the reward system takes the worst of your results in a given execution. If a certain execution has 3 steps, and you get 2 legendary hits, and one where you completely mess up the timing, your reward will be based not on the 2 legendarys, but on your worst attempt, yielding you less of a bonus.

MarkV

Is there an HQ version of the Gametrailers video? The 3 videos from the Xbox site are really good but i want to see the other location in such great quality.

alterno69

Banned
Graphics are very very impressive indeed, i'd like to see it live on a 55" tv to judge properly but so far this and Killzone are very close, hard to decide which looks better from Youtube videos.

I'm not sure what you mean here, but you trigger executions by pressing the trigger button. However, you don't have to use the executions. You can kill enemies all using the basic combat system if you wish. The players in the footage released are choosing to execute enemies with the fancy slo mo animations.

More XP
More health
More damage
A boost to focus gauge?

And the reward system takes the worst of your results in a given execution. If a certain execution has 3 steps, and you get 2 legendary hits, and one where you completely mess up the timing, your reward will be based not on the 2 legendarys, but on your worst attempt, yielding you less of a bonus.

There's a preview out there that says otherwise, I'll look for it and post the quote.

ironcreed

Banned
It has actually been upgraded since the story trailer. Look at the fringe and velvety texture on his cloak in the new gameplay shot.

Story trailer footage:

i6NLoQkPJREl3.png

New gameplay:

iZdPMTXvIdm3w.png

MCD

All I know is that I need these visuals in my Japanese RPGs and action games.

Will never happen.

Will never happen.

I hope crytek makes an sequel that is more like the witcher 2..
I really do have it bake some more in the oven. Because the normal combat looks good for an rpg.

More XP
More health
More damage
A boost to focus gauge?

http://www.destructoid.com/ryse-son-of-rome-a-time-of-great-unrest-265037.phtml

My main problem is that there is really one way to engage an enemy (run up and slash at them), and really only one way to finish them off. To be clear, the finishing sequence is not optional. You can choose not to press the prompted buttons, but if you engage the enemy at all when they have the finisher icon above their head, you'll be thrown into slow-mo time.

What's strange is that, even if you skip pressing buttons, the slow-motion hit sequence continues to play out. You won't get your perk charge from the kill, but you're still forced to watch it. Imagine watching these slow-mo kills 50 times in a row.

So any button you press makes the finishing sequence start. So for example if I am fighting a group of 4 people and one of them has an execution icon above their head and I attack them in any way the finisher starts.

There's a preview out there that says otherwise, I'll look for it and post the quote.

If there's a preview stating otherwise, then it's completely wrong. This is why I generally ignore some of these sites giving their opinions. Some of them specifically have no idea what they're talking about, or are just spreading misinformation. All evidence and information directly from the game developers themselves, and from gameplay footage where the devs decide to showcase this aspect of the game, display quite clearly that you can play the game choosing to not even bother with executions.

Particularly in an over hour long stream from last week based on MP where at one point they just started killing everybody normally without executions. You trigger executions yourself based on pressing the trigger button. You can choose not to press the trigger button and just kill them with a normal speed combo. You get surrounded by 6 enemies? You can kill all 6 without using a single execution move.

So any button you press makes the finishing sequence start. So for example if I am fighting a group of 4 people and one of them has an execution icon above their head and I attack them in any way the finisher starts.

Yep, a recent article no less. It seems to clash quite bizarrely with what the devs showcased on a stream just last week. The game USE to work this way from my understanding, but it doesn't appear to work that way now from footage I've watched that includes dev commentary.

KKRT00

But if You attack that enemy with normal attack he will also die, just not in a pretty way like in execution.
Executions are not shortcuts, they are prettier finishers with some benefits. You can end enemy with one normal hit or by pressing execution button.

===

Graphics are very very impressive indeed, i'd like to see it live on a 55" tv to judge properly but so far this and Killzone are very close, hard to decide which looks better from Youtube videos.

Download those

http://news.xbox.com/~/media/Images...ll/Ryse_Palace_BRoll_1080p2997_ST_50Mbps3.mp4
http://news.xbox.com/~/media/Images...roll/Ryse_York_BRoll_1080p2997_ST_ 50Mbps.mp4
http://news.xbox.com/~/media/Images...roll/Ryse_Glott_BRoll_1080p2997_ST_50Mbps.mp4

====

Awesome shot, dat Marius expression.

jem0208

It has actually been upgraded since the story trailer. Look at the fringe and velvety texture on his cloak in the new gameplay shot.

Story trailer footage:

i6NLoQkPJREl3.png

New gameplay:

iZdPMTXvIdm3w.png

I thought it looked a bit better.

The lighting on the cloak/cape thing also seems a lot better. Gives a better sense of depth. It looks rather flat in the story trailer.

reKon

Banned

Will never happen.

Deep Down looked pretty crazy in some parts from that gameplay a month ago. That screamed next gen, running at 60 FPS

jem0208

That's not true at all.

There's gameplay showing Marius attacking enemies with icon's above their heads with normal attacks and it doesn't go into the execution mode.

Dunno what that author is talking about.

That's not true at all.

There's gameplay showing Marius attacking enemies with icon's above their heads with normal attacks and it doesn't go into the execution mode.

This is why gaming journalism can be a joke at times. Only way to explain such a mistake is if there is a difficulty level of some kind where you can't trigger it yourself. Otherwise, they're badly mistaken, or intentionally being misleading.

I thought it looked a bit better.

The lighting on the cloak/cape thing also seems a lot better. Gives a better sense of depth. It looks rather flat in the story trailer.

Gameplay shot looks better, so it's the cutscenes that got the downgrade? :p

jem0208

This is why gaming journalism can be a joke at times. Only way to explain such a mistake is if there is a difficulty level of some kind where you can't trigger it yourself. Otherwise, they're badly mistaken, or intentionally being misleading.

I can't believe that he was flat out lying...

I dunno, maybe he was basing it off of an old build or like you said a weird difficulty setting.

That's not true at all.

I haven't seen that gameplay video, can you link me to it please. And I am just going by what the previewer said. I haven't played the game myself so I have no clue, but he made it sound pretty bad right there.

I haven't seen that gameplay video, can you link me to it please. And I am just going by what the previewer said. I haven't played the game myself so I have no clue, but he made it sound pretty bad right there.
Not to be rude, as I don't feel like searching for the videos, but the executions aren't required. There are indeed videos where you can continue attacking enemies without engaging in the execution prompt.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
And this?
ixT0j0QPM8MOP.gif

That's common as hell in games like this. God of War executions slide all over the damn place to frame it for the camera.

Batman does it a lot too, counters can suck you backwards in a flash. Otherwise animations would be clipping through geometry.

Not to be rude, as I don't feel like searching for the videos, but the executions aren't required. There are indeed videos where you can continue attacking enemies without engaging in the execution prompt.

I'm watching the latest vidoc now and I don't see anyone going down without an execution with the icon above their head, I have heard previously that it was the case, that's why that preview through me off. I believe you guys, I just wanted to point that out just in case.

EDIT: He actually just said in the vidoc that enemies can be defeated with normal attacks, sorry for posting that article guys I was misinformed.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Will never happen.

Both consoles are sorely lacking in RPGs at launch.

jem0208

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcY85eNnAwE

At about 1:20 mark. He fights two guys until they both have icons and they hits them a few more times before executing them.

IIRC, he doesn't actually need to execute them to kill them. You can kill enemies entirely by using normal attacks.

While the visuals are top notch, the actual game mechanics and animation are pretty awful.

This fidelity, however, bodes well for those using or planning CryEngine for their game.

BearPawB

Banned
Wow. I was completely doubting this game. I think this could be a really fun arcade style beatem-up. Looks really fun.

Top Bottom