• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon COD: Ghosts Review update: (XBONE better version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

skynidas

Banned
http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/5/5052646/call-of-duty-ghosts-review

While the Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts has been confirmed by Activision to run at a lower resolution than its PS4 counterpart (720p upscaled to 1080p native, respectively), that numerical difference is less meaningful than you might imagine.

The two versions look nearly identical. Viewing the Xbox One release next to the PS4 , I had difficulty telling them apart. It's possible that the PS4 version looked somewhat sharper, but that may have just been my imagination after confirming the hard resolution difference. The next-gen releases of Call of Duty: Ghosts are so close together that gun to my head, I'd have no confidence in being able to discern which version was which — at least, while the two are standing still.

The Xbox One release's framerate was far more noticeable. As mentioned in the initial review, Call of Duty: Ghosts suffers from consistent framerate drops on the PS4, especially during multiplayer when action got especially hectic. The Xbox One version suffered no such drops, maintaining a steady 60 frames per second throughout.

For a multiplayer shooter, framerate consistency is paramount. Given its relative visual parity with the PS4 release, Call of Duty: Ghosts is a more playable, slightly superior (albeit disappointing) game on Xbox One.

Xbox One score: 7.0
PS4 score: 6.5

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Ah snap...higher than the PS4 version and a more stable framerate.

NEW!
UPDATE: 11/12/2013
CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS REVIEW UPDATE: XBOX ONE

While the Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts has been confirmed by Activision to run at a lower resolution than its PS4 counterpart (720p upscaled to 1080p native, respectively), that numerical difference is less meaningful than you might imagine.

The two versions look nearly identical. Viewing the Xbox One release next to the PS4 , I had difficulty telling them apart. It's possible that the PS4 version looked somewhat sharper, but that may have just been my imagination after confirming the hard resolution difference. The next-gen releases of Call of Duty: Ghosts are so close together that gun to my head, I'd have no confidence in being able to discern which version was which — at least, while the two are standing still.

The Xbox One release's framerate was far more noticeable. As mentioned in the initial review, Call of Duty: Ghosts suffers from consistent framerate drops on the PS4, especially during multiplayer when action got especially hectic. The Xbox One version suffered no such drops, maintaining a steady 60 frames per second throughout.

For a multiplayer shooter, framerate consistency is paramount. Given its relative visual parity with the PS4 release, Call of Duty: Ghosts is a more playable, slightly superior (albeit disappointing) game on Xbox One.

studyguy

Shots fired... then readjusted. FIRED AGAIN!
Artillery_Fire.gif

That took a whole 2 minutes for the PS4 version to drop.
Was it an error?

Silky

Banned
Riots will ensue.

EDIT:

>STEADY FRAME RATE ON XBOX ONE
>FLUCTUATING FRAME RATE ON PS4

>XBONE GETS HIGHER SCORE

POLYGON PLS

Better framerate on One versus higher res on PS4; Choose your poison.

Nibel

#0Point5Gate

720p > 1080p

Asymmetrical controller layout > symmetrical controller layout

Where is Cerny now

mrg6290

Just saw that. Quite interesting. They should have made it sub 1080p on PS4 in order to maintain framerate.

Wasn't planning on picking it up, but if I do I suppose it will be on XB1. Currently planning on doing XB1 first anyways.

Tough call for IW if true. PS4 runs at 60fps 95% of time at 1080p. Do you stick or drop to 720p for the sake of those rare drops?

Reader, what would YOU do?

Feorax

There are several outlets that disagree with this. In fact, every other outlet that's updated in the last few minutes seem to disagree with this.

Then again, it is Polygon. Do we expect credibility?

Tamanon

Banned
To be fair, it always looked like both versions looked like shit, at least for Next Gen consoles. I think there was a reason Battlefield 4 was included in the Sony Media bundles and not Ghosts.

PS4 isn't 2.25x more powerful than X1, so dropping the resolution by such a significant amount should result in a higher framerate.

nib95

Banned
Whether you prefer a steadier frame rate or 1080p vs 720p is purely subjective. But that is a shame if true. Why couldn't IW just drop the PS4 version to 900p? In any case, DF's comparison will be extremely interesting on this one. Polygons reputation is somewhat on the line.

Kacho

We're in for a wild ride.

Honestly though, whichever version is "better' they both look great and I'm sure both will play perfectly fine on both consoles. No need to get worked up about any of this nonsense IMO.

coldfoot

Banned
Ah snap...higher than the PS4 version and a more stable framerate.
Holy shit look at that review! "Can't tell 720p from 1080p unless there's a gun to my head?" How is Polygon even respected and not belong to the same shit tier as xx420xxgames.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom