• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Evil Within concept art leaks

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
A fan site of Evil Within noticed that concept art for Evil Within that wasn't supposed to be seen un-internally was open to the public, and as its the internet, it's now out there in the open.

Before I post this, I want to mention that I think The Evil Within isn't posting much media as they want a lot of the game to be a surprise. Call it cocky or ignorant, but as the game releases this year, they have sort of just shown the same two areas from the same demo over the last year almost exclusively. I think new media won't be released until closer to release, and that they want the game to spread through word of mouth. But anyways.

Here's the concept art:

(possible SPOILER warning, as these weren't made for the public)

The-Evil-Within-1.jpg
The-Evil-Within-2.jpg
The-Evil-Within-3.jpg
The-Evil-Within-41.jpg
The-Evil-Within-51.jpg
The-Evil-Within-6.jpg
The-Evil-Within-7.jpg
The-Evil-Within-8.jpg
The-Evil-Within-9.jpg
The-Evil-Within-10.jpg
The-Evil-Within-11.jpg
The-Evil-Within-12.jpg
The-Evil-Within-13.jpg
The-Evil-Within-14.jpg
The-Evil-Within-15.jpg
The-Evil-Within-16.jpg

f1h5.jpg

These shots show something very different than the other shots shown of the game so far. Those have depicted a man in a mental asylum who can't seem to escape and strange, nightmarish creatures. These show something that looks far more akin to an apocalypse scenario, though of course maybe something broke out of the asylum, or maybe our character is crazy at the end of the world, or maybe the world really isn't over and he just thinks it is, or something like that.

Also notable that these concept arts are marked as being done on March 2013.

Now some observations that aren't mine, but from people on an Evil Within fan forum. These may contain spoilers, of course, but here are a few notable things:

Notice that in the concept art, the mark on the grave is the same as the mark on a wall in an in-game screenshot of the Boxman. Could it be a religious insignia?

Y1tgv7l.png

In this screenshot, it looks like what tore the buildings wasn't an Earthquake, but some giant monster, as you can see giant claw and teeth marks on the buildings and such:

FWFtcRa.jpg

Also note worthy the town is called "Crimson City" by the notes.

ezekial45

Banned
Awesome. I was ready to believe the game would take place in a single location. These other places look intriguing.

Nemesis_

I was kind of hoping the setting was just a seaside town as earlier artwork suggests, but this seems interesting enough.

I really don't hope Bethesda are forcing them to go for the TLOU angle.

Dusk Golem

I was kind of hoping the setting was just a seaside town as earlier artwork suggests, but this seems interesting enough.

I really don't hope Bethesda are forcing them to go for the TLOU angle.

If the Bethesda reps are to be trusted, they are letting Mikami and his team do whatever they want to do. They think Mikami has already proven himself as a leader in survival-horror, so they're just funding him making the survival-horror game he wants to make.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Love it.

I've seen this a few days ago, surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

I really love the realistic but fantasy style they have going on. Reminds me of Darksiders a little bit in that regard.

Can't wait to play it.

dyergram

I'm interested although I don't want to play in anymore post apocalyptic settings bit bored of that kind of setting. I'm liking the diference in locations is this set in modern day or what?

Looks so good. Sad that we'd probably be getting this game around May or so if it weren't for TES:O. Beth won't want two games out at the same time like that.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Most probably the game that will make me go new gen, and I'm totally fine with the TLoU flavour. In my veins!
roflbotg5sfn.jpg

Dusk Golem

I think it's interesting the Last of Us comparisons. I definitely saw it too, but this concept art was also posted three months before The Last of Us released.

I'm interested although I don't want to play in anymore post apocalyptic settings bit bored of that kind of setting. I'm liking the diference in locations is this set in modern day or what?

It's set in modern day, but we know the main 'center piece' of the game is an asylum. In one of the demos that's been shown off a lot, the main character seems to be escaping from the asylum through a forest and taking an underground cavern, but suddenly the cavern becomes the halls of the asylum, and when he turns around the cave he was running through is also the asylum... One theme of the game is figuring what's real and what's not, from what I can tell, and if he's going to these locations, why, and if they're real or not is questionable.

.la1n

Easily the one game I am most excited for this year. I love all of Mikami's games and I have no doubt I'll love this one. It's also nice to see a developer give a AAA horror game a shot.

J-Tier

Wow, the scope of this game seems huge! I thought it was just a single place...the idea of a survival horror at such a scale is...

...please, give it to me!

Dusk Golem

Also, here is the labels drawn on the concept art 'notes' in the corners. Going in order from how I posted the concept art, left to right, top to botom:

1.) 'Spike Traps' (2013/4/24)
2.) 'Subway' (2013/3/28)
3.) 'Basement' (2013/4/15)
4.) 'Hotel' (2013/4/15)
5.) 'Ambulence' (2013/3/17)
6.) 'Brain Surgery' (2013/4/2)
7.) 'Catacombs' (2013/2/22)
8.) 'Church' (2013/3/15)
9.) (unmarked)
10.) 'Lockers' (2013/4/15)
11.) 'Mansion' (2013/3/15)
12.) (can't read)
13.) 'Camp' (2012 [triple checked, it does say 2012]/4/27)
14.) 'Spike Traps' (2013/4/6)
15.) 'Camp' (2012/02/07)
16.) 'Brain Surgery' (2013/3/7)
17.) (can't read)

Montresor

Awesome. I was ready to believe the game would take place in a single location. These other places look intriguing.

This is exactly what went through my head!!! I thought "wait... why did I think this entire game would take place in a basement?"

I don't like being scared. Alan Wake scares the hell out of me. But this game looks really good. Wow at those locations!

Now, everything with a post apocaliptic set up is related/similar to TLoU? C'mon people...

Well, come on, to you too! Clearly just an innocent jab. At first glance the way the art looks combined with the logo is strikingly similar to some TLOU concept art as well. It doesn't mean I think the game will be some knockoff, in fact they look very different. But that art is quite similar in more than one way!

This is one of my most anticipated games of the year. Really anxious to see what the current-gen versions look like compared to last.

OneUh8

Holy crap! I had no idea this game was branching out to all these different environments and locals. I thought it would be all indoor corridors. This just shot way up on my list.

I'm glad this stuff was leaked, they haven't shown any news about it in over 3 months. I've been dying for more info on the game.

I thought it would as well. Looks like somehow he is going to escape and start exploring the city. I'm guessing it won't be open world, but it will have him traversing the torn up city. Which is good enough for me.

Top Bottom