• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox’s E3 to Focus on Hardcore Gamers, Some News Coming in May and More

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/05...core-gamers-no-portable-xbox-coming-and-more/
Phil Spencer, the recently appointed head of the Xbox department at Microsoft, went all out in responding to questions from the fans about E3 on Twitter tonight.

Some of the points he made were quite interesting, and below you can read a summary:

• Spencer doesn’t think Microsoft will introduce a dedicated handheld gaming device. Instead they’ll work on Windows Phone and tablets, maybe with controller support some day.
  • Spencer wants to make E3′s show more focused on the fans and he’s looking for ideas to make them feel like the conference is for them even if they aren’t in Los Angeles.
  • The main focus will be on hardcore gamers.
  • There was an idea to make Cortana the voice of the show, but Spencer didn’t like it. He likes the Windows Phone feature but doesn’t want to overdo it.
  • Fans won’t have to wait for Tokyo Game Show to see Japanese Xbox games (possibly meaning that we’ll see them at E3).
  • This year Microsoft will show “stuff we are committed to, from top studios, for this year and future.”
  • We’ll get a “couple of things” announced before E3. May “Should be a good month for news.” It took Spencer a month to get the plans set.
  • Spencer has strict orders not to talk about any 343 industries IP before E3.
  • Both new IP and sequels will be announced at this year’s show.
Speaking about Japanese games, Spencer also talked about Lost Odyssey, mentioning that “Rights on that one are a bit complicated,” but that he’d like to see it on Games on Demand. He also stated that there may be opportunities to publish IPs that Microsoft owns but has neglected as digital games.

Finally, he mentioned that what stopped Rare from doing a new Battletoads game is just time. All of their teams are full at the moment, and they have a long list of what they’d like to do next.

One thing is for sure: Phil Spencer has been a busy bee, and it’s hard not to be intrigued about seeing the result of all that work in June. We’re just a little over a month away, and the hype is definitely building up.

"Hardcore Gamers" *new autoplatformers and FPS'*

What is an autoplatformer? Nuts & Bolts?

I am really interested to see how MS responds to a sluggish first few more the in the market. I can't imagine that they will hold anything back. If it is Greenlit it is getting shown, even if it is just a logo.

Crackdown will be one of those logos, I am sure

There was an idea to make Cortana the voice of the show, but Spencer didn’t like it. He likes the Windows Phone feature but doesn’t want to overdo it.

That was likely the plan if a proper head of the division wasn't in place prior to E3.

I mean, simulated Cortana would've been better than Julie Larson-Green

daman824

Keep in mind that he was asked these questions people. He didn't just tweet "E3 is going to be focused on the hardcore" out of the blue. Someone asked if that would be the case and he said yes.

Toki767

That second bullet point would be easy to solve if Microsoft was willing to put the E3 demo of games onto XBL.

StoopKid

Defcon 4: Moneyhats up the ass.

Capcom

sDDuM2h.gif

Should put this in the OP

7y2Gbtc.png

The "hardcore gamers" part is essentially Spencer agreeing to what another user said.

The article just summarizes what Spencer shares on twitter in the Author's own words.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Spencer wants to make E3′s show more focused on the fans and he’s looking for ideas to make them feel like the conference is for them even if they aren’t in Los Angeles.

It's really damn simple... Kinectless SKU at $350. You're welcome MS.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
If he wants to connect to people watching that are in LA, all he's gotta do is do what Jack Tretton did. Say hello to the people watching the stream and say thanks for supporting us through launch and helping course correct the Xbox Ones policies to be more what the consumers/gamers want. Then get on with the conference cause ain't nobody got time for dat. Demos from the show floor on XBL would be awesome too.
is E3 Press only still? I pretty much live in LA
I'd you line up a day or so before, you can get tickets into Sony's conference. Also, you can buy your own pass at the E3 website. It's prohibitively costly though in my opinion. Also, maybe you could go beg for some hook ups seeing as even the most uneducated not knowing what Dark Souls is people can get in.

Wasn't there a huge MS first party leak back in Jan. or Feb. detailing whats to come out this and next year?

The Japanese exclusive will probably be the only new thing; I'm betting its something from Capcom (Resident Evil perhaps).

rrc1594

Wasn't there a huge MS first party leak back in Jan. or Feb. detailing whats to come out this and next year?

The Japanese exclusive will probably be the only new thing; I'm betting its something from Capcom (Resident Evil perhaps).

In all honesty leaks only revealed what we knew or assuming.

"There was an idea to make Cortana the voice of the show, but Spencer didn’t like it. He likes the Windows Phone feature but doesn’t want to overdo it."

Good good good. God, my eyes would have rolled out of my head. Don't overwork the brand.

Shinta

Banned
They've been talking up Japanese games more than Sony has. Good for Microsoft.

What the hell is Sony doing on that front? I hope they show up with something, because it seems like MS definitely is going to.

If you're talking about ntkrnl's leaks, he suggested that what he talked about was just a small part of what's coming. Spencer already said that there would be multiple new games revealed at E3, both new IP and sequels (and I'd say a reboot or two is likely as well), but some of those are probably games that we're expecting already (Horizon 2, Halo 2, Crackdown 3?).

They've been talking up Japanese games more than Sony has. Good for Microsoft.

What the hell is Sony doing on that front? I hope they show up with something, because it seems like MS definitely is going to.
Heh, personally I cannot wait for these games they havent showed anything all sony showed was lily bergarmo and thats been mama MIA for a while now.

Project beast did leak though.

rrc1594

If you're talking about ntkrnl's leaks, he suggested that what he talked about was just a small part of what's coming. Spencer already said that there would be multiple new games revealed at E3, both new IP and sequels (and I'd say a reboot or two is likely as well), but some of those are probably games that we're expecting already (Horizon 2, Halo 2, Crackdown 3?).

Ntkrnl is GOD

Top Bottom