• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox’s E3 to Focus on Hardcore Gamers, Some News Coming in May and More

Lettuce

Phil Spencer is great. Already got a much better and more personable presence than Mattrick.

Yeah I guess is Mattrick who we have to thank for the crippled system we have now, can't help but think we'd have a much more capable system if Spencer had been put in charge 2 years ago and a Kinectless one at that!..........oh how the future could have been so different.

Thanks Mattrick you absolute twat!!!

That being said, this current 2nd place of the Xbone means they now have to bring their A game and can't sit back so maybe this works in our favour!?

Tazo

That's surprising, those were the questions I asked him earlier today... I was just happy to chat with Phil, glad it's come full circle and ended up back on NeoGAF.
The main focus will be on hardcore gamers.
https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/463175909076262914
There was an idea to make Cortana the voice of the show, but Spencer didn’t like it. He likes the Windows Phone feature but doesn’t want to overdo it.
https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/463174001708109824

I also mentioned to him that I hope they "hold off [their] major dashboard features until [their] E3 conference. Make it all available for Early Access that day, too!"

He thought that sounded like a good idea too: https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/463173504410468353

mike4001_

what do you mean by second place?

xbox was second globally
360 was third globally
xbone is currently third globally

Xbox 360 and PS3 are nearly neck to neck (Wikipedia says 76 Mio. Xbox 360 by Mid 2013 and 80 Mio. PS3 by End 2013).

Yes Wii is first place but there you can subtract about 50% which only bought the console for Wii Sports and never bought another game ...

Tazo

Should put this in the OP

7y2Gbtc.png

The "hardcore gamers" part is essentially Spencer agreeing to what another user said.

The article just summarizes what Spencer shares on twitter in the Author's own words.

It's nice to be quoted on NeoGAF :D

Maybe the game doesn't actually look that promising... It has been a long time since we saw it. Nevertheless I hope they focus on that type of game. Recapture the brilliance on the original Ninja Gaiden on Xbox. Something in that mould would be welcome.

Devil's Third doesn't seem to be the same type of game that Ninja Gaiden was.

Post like this are mind blowing!

They're really not. Unfortunately, they're expected.

Same was said last year about E3 being about the games/hardcore.

And it was, they had a great conference with plenty of announcements, but it was overshadowed by the price reveal and the DRM controversy.

Still, this tweet doesn't mention Xbox One exclusive stuff or just simple Japanese stuff. Metal Gear Solid is Japanese, so is Final Fantasy XV. For all we know, he might be talking about showing one of these games at their conference. What if Dark Souls 2 is unveiled in MS's E3 Conference? What if they plan to show a demo reel of Japanese games?

Now if this tweet specifically talked about Xbox One exclusives, that would have been another story. But as it stands, this is a simple vague response, like 99% of the stuff he replies back to on Twitter.

Nothing is confirmed, but I fully expect some new Japanese Xbox One exclusives at E3. A new Futatsugi collaboration, for starters, whether it's Phantom Dust 2 or the continuation of the Crimson Dragon IP. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Platinum Games title as well, providing it really exists. But they'll probably also have a dedicated Japanese event after E3, since the console is supposed to launch there before TGS.

what do you mean by second place?

xbox was second globally
360 was third globally
xbone is currently third globally

Pretty obvious what I meant , I'm talking next gen where it is universally considered a 2 horse race. You really think wiiu (which u can argue isn't even next gen ) will stay In second place?

Jack cw

I wonder what MFST nearly non existing first parties have in their sleeve for hardcore fans. Moneyhatting is off the table...

Renekton

And it was, they had a great conference with plenty of announcements, but it was overshadowed by the price reveal and the DRM controversy.
I didn't remember it like that. Even though they showed more AAA launch titles than PS4, it felt like the presentation was more about the living room experience.

Tazo

Oh, hi Phil. Can you give us any more insight?
Hulk said:
That's Matt...

I thought my avatar would show I'm not Phil, sorry to disappoint! Anyway if you have questions or (polite) suggestions for Phil just tweet him. He's answered me a bunch of times, even about troubleshooting UI problems!

If it is paying for titles that wouldn't otherwise get publisher deals, that's fine. If it is taking games away from other platforms, that isn't ok.
People should be blaming devs for lack of integrity and chasing dem dollas $$ not MS. They are tryna get ahead of the comp aint they ?

Jack cw

Moneyhatting is on the table

Don't think so. Xbox division has to make money not spending even more. With the competition selling more than double the rate, the compensations have to be huge and for bigger IPs even in the three digit million area. Last gen 360 was leading and favoured by many hardcore gamers and the concept worked with gamers and publishers.

Striek

All three conferences compared to the "reasonable" expectations people expoused in threads here on gaf beforehand had way less announcements than predicted. It really wasn't that heavy on big game announcements tbqh.

iMax

Interesting, just finished listening to the latest Major Nelson podcast. Seems we'll be getting news of Microsoft's plans for E3 this week.

Riky

$MSFT
Don't think so. Xbox division has to make money not spending even more. With the competition selling more than double the rate, the compensations have to be huge and for bigger IPs even in the three digit million area. Last gen 360 was leading and favoured by many hardcore gamers and the concept worked with gamers and publishers.

There is a slight difference though, seeing a third party game and thinking we want that exclusive and we are prepared to pay to keep it away from the competition is one thing (Titanfall), however going to a third party and saying "will you make us Dead Rising 3 and we'll fund it?" is totally different as the game wouldn't exist (Like Bayonetta 2) without that platform holder input.

I think it is totally fine for a platform holder to take that second route and hopefully that is what Spencer is talking about.

abadguy

Banned
I wonder what MFST nearly non existing first parties have in their sleeve for hardcore fans. Moneyhatting is off the table...

Huh? Last i checked they had a pretty decent amount of first party studios, Spencer even hinted on Twitter about studios that have yet to be formally announced yet. (LXP likely being one of them)

I didn't remember it like that. Even though they showed more AAA launch titles than PS4, it felt like the presentation was more about the living room experience.

You clearly watched a different conference than i did.

ankuo

Banned
Same here I honestly dont believe nothing is wrong with moneyhats Idk why people hate it so much.

After you get around all the smoke screens and bs it call comes down to fanboy wars. OMG ITS NOT ON MY SYSTEM I DONT LIKE THAT @@%@ YOU.. Since MS does employ alot of money hatting (even though they have the best lineup for both consoles atm and more potential new IPs over Sony) they will still find ways to beat MS with the shit stick. like i stated before both companies need to step up my ps4 is collecting dust and i only play my xbone for titanfall

Dabanton

There is a slight difference though, seeing a third party game and thinking we want that exclusive and we are prepared to pay to keep it away from the competition is one thing (Titanfall), however going to a third party and saying "will you make us Dead Rising 3 and we'll fund it?" is totally different as the game wouldn't exist (Like Bayonetta 2) without that platform holder input.

I think it is totally fine for a platform holder to take that second route and hopefully that is what Spencer is talking about.

From the Final Hours of Titanfall thread about why TF was only on XBO and PC

A couple different reasons. Essentially, Microsoft was talking with them about Durango very early on and courting them to move Titanfall over to that. They asked Sony if they could talk to them about the next Playstation, but Sony constantly said they weren't ready to discuss. It even mentions Sony were willing to help Respawn to get a Vita version of the game. It mentions that they essentially pleaded with Sony, saying "Listen, things are about to be locked in behind the scenes. If you want this, please talk to us", which Sony again declined.

It also mentions that at a point later in development, Zampella and West sat down with Riccitiello to tell him that they didn't have enough manpower to develop for any consoles other than Xbone and, maybe, PC, and that Respawn was essentially out of money and the game would need to be delayed and that they'd cut single player. EA ended up having to find the funding for the project with a first party, and Microsoft were willing to put up the money to actually finish the game.

big_z

someone should tweet phil about the stacked silicon/multilayer gpu that misterxmedia is still going on about. I think the xbone has something like 9tf of power to be revealed at e3 now....

Definitely the E3 conference I'm looking forward to most. That line on the Japanese games is exciting too, suggesting it's something the West will like too, and not dating sims or the like.

Bundy

Banned
Same here I honestly dont believe nothing is wrong with moneyhats Idk why people hate it so much.
If it's a Bayonetta 2 moneyhat (= without the money, it wouldn't exist) ---> everything is alright.
If it's a Titanfall moneyhat (= paying the publisher so that he ignores a certain system) is bullshit. Better use the money to create a new IP / a new studio.

If it's a Bayonetta 2 moneyhat (= without the money, it wouldn't exist) ---> everything is alright.
If it's a Titanfall moneyhat (= paying the publisher so that he ignores a certain system) is bullshit. Better use the money to create an own IP / a new studio.
Cant say I agree. I think any company that wants to have success do it by all means nesscesarry. Its not like the paid for titanfall out of spite.

Jack cw

That would be great though. But as we saw with Titanfall, that doesnt guarantee the effect Microsoft wanted. The game couldnt move systems and funding IPs that wouldnt have been release otherwise imply that the IP isnt that huge. Funding new IPs though is what I like, because there is always the possibility of a true hit.
Huh? Last i checked they had a pretty decent amount of first party studios, Spencer even hinted on Twitter about studios that have yet to be formally announced yet. (LXP likely being one of them)
You clearly watched a different conference than i did.
"Previously in a parallel universe full of myths and legends."
All I see is based on history. They have their IPs but lack the proper teams and the talent to revive those great titles. They ditched Bizzare studios, MFST Japan is dead, ditched Bungie, key talent left at Lionhead studios, RARE, etc. Instead they focused on Kinect and ignored the core gamers that made them so big for nearly 5 years.

ekim

If it's a Titanfall moneyhat (= paying the publisher so that he ignores a certain system) is bullshit. Better use the money to create a new IP / a new studio.

Regarding Titanfall, see #139

derFeef

All I see is based on history. They have their IPs but lack the proper teams and the talent to revive those great titles. They ditched Bizzare studios, MFST Japan is dead, ditched Bungie, key talent left at Lionhead studios, RARE, etc. Instead they focused on Kinect and ignored the core gamers that made them so big for nearly 5 years.

Bizarre and Bungie are/were not first party.

If you think exclusives from 3rd parties then MS is in an even better situation now.

You're confusing it with the Xbox One reveal event, the entirety of their E3 conference was about games and game-related functionality.

I'm not sure what you mean, they have plenty of first party studios now, and the usual collaborations with independent developers are certainly not off the table.

All three conferences compared to the "reasonable" expectations people expoused in threads here on gaf beforehand had way less announcements than predicted. It really wasn't that heavy on big game announcements tbqh.

It depends on your definition of big, but nobody can say their conference wasn't jam packed with games. Revealing Dead Rising 3, Sunset Overdrive, Project Spark, Below, D4, Killer Instinct, Black Tusk's now abandoned game, and Halo, with new looks at Forza 5 and Quantum Break, the first gameplay of Titanfall, Ryse and Crimson Dragon returning from hiatus, MGS5, Battlefield 4, The Witcher 3, and Minecraft shown on the multiplatform front, World of Tanks and Max and the Curse of Brotherhood for the 360, and Kinect Sports Rivals, Powerstar Golf, and Zoo Tycoon being announced shortly before and after the conference, they knocked my socks off and far exceeded my expectations.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!

Titanfall wouldn't exist without MS.

Top Bottom