• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox’s E3 to Focus on Hardcore Gamers, Some News Coming in May and More

rrc1594

Heh, personally I cannot wait for these games they havent showed anything all sony showed was lily bergarmo and thats been mama MIA for a while now.

Project beast did leak though.

ntkrnl said platinum game is 2016, so the game is still a mystery. DetectiveGaf needs get on the case!

Hyunashi

They've been talking up Japanese games more than Sony has. Good for Microsoft.

What the hell is Sony doing on that front? I hope they show up with something, because it seems like MS definitely is going to.

Sony likes to keep info to their chests frustratingly but honestly why should Sony talk about Japanese games more? Its going to get most of what comes out of Japan at the end of the day.

N.Domixis

Banned

What the hell is Sony doing on that front? I hope they show up with something, because it seems like MS definitely is going to.
Microsoft is dead in japan, sony has nothing to worry about.

fasTRapid

Banned
Should put this in the OP

7y2Gbtc.png

The "hardcore gamers" part is essentially Spencer agreeing to what another user said.

The article just summarizes what Spencer shares on twitter in the Author's own words.
It's Dualshockers after all. Every news they break is just a paraphrased tweet at this point. And most of those tweets are from "insiders".

scsa

Just like Cerny understands the game industry , Phil seems to be the good guy at Microsoft. Let's see what he comes up with.

Fox Mulder

I'm interested in what they'll show, probably helps that they'll be limping into the show real bad with how the console is selling. I laughed when I saw it's really back at $499 again.

wapplew

I don't know, Lily Bergamo, Deep down, Persona 5, Tales of Zestiria, Oreshika 2 just to name a few concrete Sony exclusives.

$349 sku with a free game and kinect included? they do that and they will own e3 lol

Even with a $349 SKU, the Xbox One isn't that powerful enough as the PS4. Hence paying $50 more for a powerful hardware seems like a better option but if they do announce a cheaper SKU then as a home entertainment machine it would be good.

JimiNutz

Banned
They're building a lot of hype. Really hope they deliver.
Competition is so good for the industry. Hopefully having MS on the backfoot will make them less lazy and more willing to take risks.

You honestly think MS is going to have more Japanese games than Sony?

JP third parties are once again late to next gen. There are quite a few notable JP games coming out this year: Persona 5, Tales of Zestiria, KH2.5 but as you can see its all on PS3.

I can see MS funding JP games for the following devs though:

Mistwalker (if they are still okay to make console games)
Platinum (Project Nagano)

I guess they could reveal Nagano this E3.

Not understanding the WinPhone and tablet/hybrid laptop/Surface/whatever talk. They usually say something about it every year but nothing all that notable comes of it. Their very low marketshare in smartphones makes essentially anything DOA if they honestly want to make dedicated stuff for WinPhone. We've had "tablets and stuff will replace handheld gaming devices!" for ages now... They have in a lot of demographics but not so much within the "people who also have a home console" audience.

"Dat gaming feel of a console" is still much lacking from iOS/Android/Metro.

Really hoping that there's no too much corporate pressure from above that skews/forces certain things around. If they come out with a price cut as expected and want to heavily invest in Japan that's just more money they have to justify as long-term ROI, though.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Eh, I copied the title from the article but would a mod kindly change the title to something about the TGS quote? I mainly made the thread for that part.

So Sony shows Japanese games and its wtf are they doing? While Spencer just tweets about it, means they are really going for it?

I guess talking about something means more then actually showing it.

JimiNutz

Banned
If MS targets Japanese games I hope/expect them to be skewed more towards Western interests.

So new game by Platinum, maybe Devils Third exclusive?

More action than JRPG.

They need to build on Killer Instinct too, that game has so much potential. Just needs some more content and modes.

This is the most honest and transparent I've heard Microsoft in a while, Phil seems to be really open and eager to please. Xbox is his baby after all, he's been head of the gaming division for so long now and knows all those people really well, I think he wants to see Microsoft succeed. Nice to be in second place with an Xbox!

If MS targets Japanese games I hope/expect them to be skewed more towards Western interests.

More action than JRPG.

JRPGs are still quite popular in Europe, and god knows they need every bit of help they can get in the European market.

More action than JRPG.

They need to build on Killer Instinct too, that game has so much potential. Just needs some more content and modes.

Devil's Third exclusivity has already been show down...

Devil's third doesn't seem to be MS exclusive, so I don't think it will be in MS E3

fMC21Fv.png

https://twitter.com/DMC_Ryan/status/449323908286529536

Philippo

Not even interested in buying an Xbone, but i get pumped at the idea of the three companies going all out this year.
Man, E3 will be the stuff of legends.

JimiNutz

Banned
JRPGs are still quite popular in Europe, and god knows they need every bit of help they can get in the European market.

Are they really? I always thought they were quite niche games... Maybe it's just the people that I know/hang around with but I didn't realise that JRPGs had much commercial appeal.

Devil's Third exclusivity has already been show down...

Maybe the game doesn't actually look that promising... It has been a long time since we saw it. Nevertheless I hope they focus on that type of game. Recapture the brilliance on the original Ninja Gaiden on Xbox. Something in that mould would be welcome.

Sony has talked about E3 once compared to Spencer's 2 dozen + times. That doesn't mean MS will have an E3 24x better than Sony.

Both companies have different approach to communications, for better or worse.

Sandfox

So basically MS is going to try and use E3 to reverse the damage they caused to their image last year. They would honestly be better off just targeting the people they did with the 360 rather than focusing on just hardcore gamers.

Amused

Demos from the show floor on XBL would be awesome too.

This sounds like a great idea. Hope both Sony and Microsoft will stream - using the camera so we can see the people playing the games as well - from the demo stations on the show floor.

Striek

Same was said last year about E3 being about the games/hardcore. Hopefully they come out swinging but its always good to manage expectations.

I have a feeling all three companies delivered less than the most modest expectations last year. People always think they're going to unleash everything but they never do.
what do you mean by second place?

xbox was second globally
360 was third globally
xbone is currently third globally

No need to be so pedantic, you know what he meant and also that its generally expected the XBOne will slide into the #2 position soon by sales.

Maybe the game doesn't actually look that promising... It has been a long time since we saw it. Nevertheless I hope they focus on that type of game. Recapture the brilliance on the original Ninja Gaiden on Xbox. Something in that mould would be welcome.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. It's not looking good for my hopes of someone funding a spiritual successor to Ninja Gaiden any time soon...

Guess I'll have just have to make do with Bayo 2.

R_Deckard

I have a new revived faith in Xbox now that a guy that gets gaming and comes from a similar angle as Sony now being more gamer centric, I know is in part to a sudden self realisation or the fact that don has now gone (who hoooo!) and any console needs gamers first and foremost, but I feel this will be the best E3 in years due to the sheer amount of games for both sides and I think this time MS will come well armed!

Eh, I copied the title from the article but would a mod kindly change the title to something about the TGS quote? I mainly made the thread for that part.
The TGS quote? He never implied that it was E3. His response regarding Japanese games for Xbox One was simple.

m3MNfUx.png

This doesn't mean anything. He never specifically said E3.

Akai__

what else could it be? I don't think the studio is big enough to be working on Halo2, Halo5 and and a new IP all at the same time.

When they remade Halo CE Anniversray, it was actually Saber Interactive and Certain Affinity, who actually remade the game. 343i was working on Halo 4 meanwhile.

I would agree, that they aren't big enough for a 3rd game, unless they partnered with an other company to make Halo Wars 2, for example.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
The TGS quote? He never implied that it was E3. His response regarding Japanese games for Xbox One was simple.

m3MNfUx.png

This doesn't mean anything. He never specifically said E3.
"can we expect some japanese stuff at this e3 or we'll need to wait tgs?"
"You won't have to wait until TGS"

Clear as day.

Because Killer Instinct, Forza, Fable Legends, D4, Below and Project Spark are shooters, right?

Fulgore can shoot lasers, the Lamborghini Aventador shoots from the starting block. You can shoot spells in Fable, the guy from the D4 trailer had a gun, so it's a shooter. Pretty sure Below will have magic like Fable, so that's a shooter and you can make shooters in Project Spark.

He's right.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wasn't last year kind of like that? Some nice new games for Xbox one, no kinect, console launch? And most E3s just after launch should be like that anyway. Your TV/media stuff - as cool as it might be - can have a separate event or do it at CES etc, then have a quick 5 min recap at E3

Slightly worried about the 'future' comment. They did show a lot including 2015 games last year, and being behind might pressure them to show more new stuff that won't be coming until 2016, just to have new things to talk about, and maybe familiar IP (Gears?). But for me at least, it is difficult to get excited for things so far out.

If they don't talk about those, then they also risk treading water, showing updated info on last years announcements.

"can we expect some japanese stuff at this e3 or we'll need to wait tgs?"
"You won't have to wait until TGS"

Clear as day.
Still, this tweet doesn't mention Xbox One exclusive stuff or just simple Japanese stuff. Metal Gear Solid is Japanese, so is Final Fantasy XV. For all we know, he might be talking about showing one of these games at their conference. What if Dark Souls 2 is unveiled in MS's E3 Conference? What if they plan to show a demo reel of Japanese games?

Now if this tweet specifically talked about Xbox One exclusives, that would have been another story. But as it stands, this is a simple vague response, like 99% of the stuff he replies back to on Twitter.

I like the fact that they don't jump into the gaming handheld boat and just stick to console and phones/tablets, which needs improvements so all fhe other companies have to improve theirs aswell.

Top Bottom