• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthony Gallegos (Daylight) laid off

ibxJSSPwkJsYQD.png

https://twitter.com/Chufmoney/status/471432509654568960

For those who don't know, Anthony Gallegos is a former editor at IGN and Gamespy, and currently one of the hosts of Rebel FM podcast. He left IGN last year to take a job as Game Designer with Zombie Studios.

So I guess that's what happens when you work on a game that turns out like that. A shame since I like Anthony for the most part, but I suppose not entirely unexpected.

I can't find any more detail on what he worked on for the game other than "design" - it seemed like most complaints about it were leveled at the core mechanics and terrible script (Chobot?).

Do you guys think he deserved another shot with Zombie Studios?

StuBurns

Banned
Brutal OP.

Shit or not, how you launch a PS4 game like this after PS+ just gave everyone Outlast, crazy. Didn't help attacking GAF over the TV size thing either.

corn_fest

Damn, really sorry to hear that. I'm a big fan of the guy from all the podcasts he's participated in, hope he lands on his feet.

Can anyone give me a summary of what went on? Something about Daylight not being great and lashing out at GAF or something?

Can anyone give me a summary of what went on? Something about Daylight not being great and lashing out at GAF or something?
Capture_zps12deb238.jpg

He later apologized:

Hey people,

I didn't mean to make you all so mad. And for that I apologize. I made a flippant comment (hello, internet!) because I was pissed that people were ragging on mitch for such a silly remark he made. Like, why do people care so much about what he talks about with TVs? It was a moment of bitterness, a moment of weakness, and a silly thing to say. I'm sure most of you are great people. Some of you are my colleagues. Some of you are potential customers who, I hope, can forgive someone for having a moment like we've all had. Twitter makes it too easy to say something out of hand and have it become more important than you'd think. So again, NeoGAF, I apologize to all of you. No one forced me to do this. My employer didn't make me do this. I wanted to do this because I saw that I offended many of you, some of whom no doubt supported me during my lowest days of unemployment after layoffs, etc. It is unfair to group together all of you when it's really only some of you who sometimes say unnecessarily mean remarks to my friends, etc. Can you forgive someone for a fault, NeoGAF? I hope so.

kuYuri

The last episode of Rebel FM I listened too a few weeks back, he sounded genuine when he said he was listening and noting all the negative feedback about Daylight.

FatalT

Banned
I enjoyed Daylighf actually. It was like a higher production version of Slender: Rising. I hate to hear this because Anthony is a great guy and I love listening to him on The Comedy Button. I'm sure he'll be back on his feet in no time.

His comment about GAF was pretty on point as well. Hate him for that if you want but he said what we were all thinking. Sometimes this forum turns into an echo chamber...

balohna

There are probably thousands of out of work or aspiring game designers. If that's your only skill and your portfolio isn't very good... work on it.

How much of the game being garbage can we blame on him?

Jesus, come on. What an idiotic final little punch to finish off your OP.

It sucks to hear about people being laid off, and it sucks even more to see insensitive pricks report news of layoffs with such tactlessness. Most game studios are large teams of people.

This is the first game he's worked on and he's a single part of a team that made the game. Even as a joke it's dumb to even say that.

I may have worded that poorly - I'm not attributing the game's failure to him. I was just wondering what he worked on, and how it played into the final product.

$h@d0w

I'm thinking Daylight didn't pull in the numbers like Blacklight did and they had to cut costs.

Zombie Studios will become a F2P studio.

StuBurns

Banned
ehh, I think everyone in games media has said something negative about gaf. Can't hold it against them forever.
But he's not in the media, he's a game designer.

If you're selling a video game, you don't shit on the biggest independent gaming board a month before it's out, that's just stupid. Hate us privately instead.

Jesus, come on. What an idiotic final little punch to finish off your OP.

It sucks to hear about people being laid off, and it sucks even more to see insensitive pricks report news of layoffs with such tactlessness. Most game studios are large teams of people.

That was a poor choice of words on my part, I did not mean to attack Anthony or suggest he alone is at fault - I've updated the OP with a question that is more in line with what I was asking.

DeviantBoi

I enjoy listening to him on podcasts, so I hope wherever he lands he can still do Rebel FM.

People say he wouldn't fit in with the Giant Bomb crew, but I disagree.

Curufinwe

There is absolutely no way any of us can know what his contribution was to the game and it's rude to speculate so let's not act like jerks. I have always liked him and hope he gets another job soon since he seems set on a career in development.

At least this thread showed me his post about the tweet which I had never seen before.

MoeB

Why do people get so worked up when someone insults GAF? It's not like they're coming after your loved ones. It's a discussion forum. Unless someone is directly calling you out, don't fret.

That was a poor choice of words on my part, I did not mean to attack Anthony or suggest he alone is at fault - I've updated the OP with a question that is more in line with what I was asking.

OK, that's a much better question, but we can't really know. This was his first game design gig, and that he was laid off and not fired probably says a lot. I'm sure he'll move onto another project and successful or not, simply being part of a team shipping a game this early in a career is an accomplishment.

Why do people get so worked up when someone insults GAF? It's not like they're coming after your loved ones. It's a discussion forum.

I think it's the hivemind BS. If some people said stupid shit, call them out. Now to completely bundle everybody up into a huge entity? It's stupid. It's no different than when someone drives by post and calls it Sonygaf etc etc.

OK, that's a much better question, but we can't really know. This was his first game design gig, and that he was laid off and not fired probably says a lot. I'm sure he'll move onto another project and successful or not, simply being part of a team shipping a game this early in a career is an accomplishment.

Very true. Many devs put out 5, 10, or even more games for free as flash or browser games before they actually ship a "real" item. And to be fair - while the scores were middling they are technically in the middle range (51/100 metacritic), there have been 'worse' games put out by much more experienced and larger teams. Really hope he gets a second chance somewhere.

Poor Anthony. :( Been a fan for about 8 years now I guess, since GFW way back when. He had been sounding really upbeat recently on both Comedy Button and Rebel FM after going through what you might call a stage of depression last year. Sucks for him.

The selfish side of me would hope he would move back to the west coast to be on his podcasts in person again, but whatever he does next I hope it works out for him!

Apologies don't suddenly make wrongs done in the past acceptable. It's still something to remember, despite his apology.

Get a fucking grip. Good lord.

Well that sucks for him and I hope he lands another job soon but I am not surprised that game didnt do well.

Outlast on PS+ killed it. Also it being a hot mess didnt help but I would say even if it was a better game, launching next to free Outlast did not help

eot

Banned

Odd question, we don't know why he was laid off.
That said, I think hiring someone from the games press to do level design is a bit strange. Quite different skill sets. Maybe he's great at it though, I don't know.

edit: oh, he was community manager? Makes more sense then I guess.

Sounds like too much of the geis douchiness rubbed off in that tweet. He is a much more entertaining and enjoyable fellow than that husk of a man.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
What gaffer here reads an insult to "GAF" and really thinks "they're talking about ME. How dare you!"

Top Bottom