• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in how ranks will work. You'd have to think they would only be in the game-specific lists, because someone could theoretically be a 35 in Halo 2's sandbox, a 45 in Halo 1's, and a 25 in Halo 3's, so rank feels.. off in mixed types. Someone could have a good long run of Halo 2 then you get matched with them in a Halo 3 match and they can't do anything.

I think it'd be interesting to have ranks for each individual game, and perhaps a global rank across all of the games, with voting options that allow you to select one map from each game. It wouldn't be precise, and it'd be weird having five options to select from (with anniversary halo 2 maps in there as a choice).

Filaipus

Banned
Maybe a general rank behind the scenes and different ranks for each game that are shown. Almost like the elo system on LOL now.

Computron

Not necessarily. Embrace the supersampling!

Wut. Since when have any console games employed SSAA when you play at a lower resolution than is targeted? Has that actually ever been a thing?

I would rather take a framerate boost TBH... (guess that doesn't really apply to MCC)

That would be interesting since I found a way to unlock the framerate for Halo 360 games in theatre mode a while back and as long as not much is going on in terms of physics/simulation Halo 3 will actually get ~60fps in a lot of areas in multiplayer maps at the full 640p.

Never tried it at any SD res though... maybe it could be solid 60 in smaller games where the CPU isn't working so hard?

link1201

Halo 3 Pit slayer at 1080p/60fps on dedis. My brain is not ready.

Can I please get an option to tick/untick what maps I want to play before starting a matchmaking search like in Counter-Strike:GO? It's 2014, stop being so annoying, Halo MM guys.

I'm hoping for something like this as well. I am willing to play any map but I hate it when people start leaving when they don't get what they want. A ranking system may help but being able to play what you want is the better answer, imo.

Wut. Since when have any console games employed SSAA when you play at a lower resolution than is targeted? Has that actually ever been a thing?

I would rather take a framerate boost TBH... (guess that doesn't really apply to MCC)

That would be interesting since I found a way to unlock the framerate for Halo 360 games in theatre mode a while back and as long as not much is going on in terms of physics/simulation Halo 3 will actually get ~60fps in a lot of areas in multiplayer maps at the full 640p.

Never tried it at any SD res though... maybe it could be solid 60 in smaller games where the CPU isn't working so hard?
One thing I do remember is the tomb raider games back in 2006-2007 actually ran at a faster frame rate if you played them in SD on the 360, but this was back in the early days when some games still glitched out using vga cables and such, no same since does this kind of thing.

(Expected) Pixels.

ro1GRDI.png

gah. this has me so pumped.

Discusguy

I'm more excited about the prospect of getting to play Halo at 60fps than the resolution bump. If it lives up to the hype I could see this having long legs and the servers will always be packed. I'm so hyped for this game.

Halo 3 Pit slayer at 1080p/60fps on dedis. My brain is not ready.

Can I please get an option to tick/untick what maps I want to play before starting a matchmaking search like in Counter-Strike:GO? It's 2014, stop being so annoying, Halo MM guys.

The problem wit this is we will end up with ZERO population on a ton of maps due to how many there are. I also worry that the voting might cause this too. People get stuck on a few favorites and it is all you see.

My hope is that they have a voting system smart enough to cycle through all the maps and maintain variety. THEN after the community votes a for a few weeks make a "Favorties/Most Popular" hopper for people who aren't as interested in the variety.

The amount of games. gametypes, and maps in this are going to make things tricky, but 343 really seems to be as pumped for this as we are so I've got the faith!!!

antigoon

I think a filtering system similar to Dota 2's (im sure it's in other games as well) for gametypes would similarly be something worth exploring.

Get rid of the specific playlists, in a way, and just let people make their own.

What's wrong with it? I think it looks fine.

Too much random post-processing flourishes like glows, gradients and scanline overlays. Not enough actual information. Hell, look at a game like Smash that manages to showcase every stage in the game over the course of two or three "pages." It probably wouldn't be that difficult to have a system in place for map collections per game, with variations for Forged maps. Even a return to Reach's text overload would be welcome at this point. Another font would be nice, too. Going from Conduit ITC (which was thicker and a little smoother) compared to the weird angular hairline Halo 4 font is jarring as hell. I think there needs to be a halfway point. Use a condensed Segoe UI if you have to.

wwm0nkey

I like to have all my info on screen and less wasted space.

live-in-the-next-generation-the-trueskill-system-20051028115404257-000.jpg

Also Map select really doesn't need to be a huge bar that takes up that much space, have it be a select screen like SSB like Sub suggested and then have the image pop up AFTER its selected.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

Also Map select really doesn't need to be a huge bar that takes up that much space, have it be a select screen like SSB like Sub suggested and then have the image pop up AFTER its selected.

With 100 maps, a little picture to remind people of what they might be selecting could be useful.

How long is the game?
What's the score limit?
How many people can play?
Is that party open or closed?
Is it neutral bomb? multi-bomb? single bomb?
Weapons on map? Starting weapons?

Would be nice to have some real information instead of just giant boxes.

wwm0nkey

With 100 maps, a little picture to remind people of what they might be selecting could be useful.

This is for customs. Just have a map select option but pop up a screen like this

468px-GALE01-82.png

Then replace that ugly bar with some info about the gametype for the players in the party or joining the party and put the image of the map being played over into a corner.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
This is for customs. Just have a map select option but pop up a screen like this

468px-GALE01-82.png

Then replace that ugly bar with some info about the gametype for the players in the party or joining the party and put the image of the map being played over into a corner.

Dunno man, I think your example looks worse than the Halo screen...

Overall, I'm not bothered, whatever they decide.

468px-GALE01-82.png

MY EYES AHHHHHHHHHHHH

I think Halo: Reach had the best multiplayer lobbies:
Halo-Reach----Personalize-Your-Game-Lobby-Nameplates.jpg

Custom.bmp

not a big fan of the busy background of the custom lobby though, but the one in matchmaking is perfect.

wwm0nkey

Dunno man, I think your example looks worse than the Halo screen...

Overall, I'm not bothered, whatever they decide.

Players need info, there is a complete lack of it on this UI which is just bad UI design.

MY EYES AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hey its the only one I can find lol they would Halo it up somehow.

Guess this would have been a better example though

XV9uTnD.jpg

I think Halo: Reach had the best multiplayer lobbies:
Halo-Reach----Personalize-Your-Game-Lobby-Nameplates.jpg

Custom.bmp

not a big fan of the busy background of the custom lobby though, but the one in matchmaking is perfect.

Reach was pretty good. 2-3 were my favorites though.

BraXzy

Q: Will stats from the previous games (i.e., Rank, Armor, Commendations, K/D etc) carry over to the new titles?
-BaconShelf

A: Players will be starting fresh in terms of rank, stats, armor, and more on Xbox One. We’ll have more specifics at a later date.

QQ Bungie gi3f me f1aM3z

Gief me r3c0Nz

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
While I've played through the single player campaigns in all of these Halos I'm an online multiplayer virgin. The collection will literally be my first taste ever of Halo multiplayer, so I'm wondering, what am I in for? Is it like Battlefield?

While I've played through the single player campaigns in all of these Halos I'm an online multiplayer virgin. The collection will literally be my first taste ever of Halo multiplayer, so I'm wondering, what am I in for? Is it like Battlefield?

It's not like Battlefield.

You have long kill times so there is a good chance that you will be able to get hit from behind, turn around and kill your attacker if you are better than they are. You will also defend areas of the map more than you would on a BF death match game because the weapons and power up spawns.

It may be frustrating at first but I would spend time learning the layouts of the maps and the weapon spawns in your first few games because knowing that will let you know where people will camp.

Raide

So is Halo 4 going to be only 1080p? Any better textures etc? Actually, seeing Halo 4 1080p@60fps is going to be like playing a brand new Halo game!

So is Halo 4 going to be only 1080p? Any better textures etc? Actually, seeing Halo 4 1080p@60fps is going to be like playing a brand new Halo game!

Everything I've read says 1080p/60fps with no other updates, but apparently it makes a pretty huge difference in reality. I'm pretty excited to see it as i already thought it looked great!

It is going to be a looooong wait until November!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It may be frustrating at first but I would spend time learning the layouts of the maps and the weapon spawns in your first few games because knowing that will let you know where people will camp.

But there's like one hundred maps right?? And weapons spawn? Do I have a regular loadout?

Halo 3 will actually get the biggest boost due to the upscale. Halo 4 was already native 1280x720 but Halo 3 was only 1152x640. All these games are going to look amazing.

Want NOW.

coffee2.gif

If we're doin this...

-Ascension
-Lockout
-Zanzibar
-Terminal
-Waterworks
-Sanctuary

That's what I want, but I have a feeling Coag will get remade. I'd also like Turf but there isn't enough room. DLC plz.

Midship needs to be in there. It's an absolute must. I'd put in that and Warlock in place of Zanzibar (sick of it because Halo 3) and Waterworks.

Chitown B

Well yeah. They get more money if a game sells at their location.

edit: I think retailers pay a little extra to get specific pre-order rewards for their customers.

yes but no one orders from a retailer for a specific skull. They'll always be missing the others, and no one is buying more than one copy for another skull.

yes but no one orders from a retailer for a specific skull. They'll always be missing the others, and no one is buying more than one copy for another skull.

I think that some people do make retailer choices based on exclusives. I'm sticking with Amazon because it's so darn convenient (obviously the #1 decider), but if I wasn't, my choice would probably be made by the skulls simply because I do not care at all whether I order from Best Buy or Gamestop. They're both about equal distance away and charge the same prices. In that case I'd just pick whichever skull I wanted.

Which happens to be the Bandana. Damn you retailer exclusives.

But naw, no one is buying two to get both skulls. That is, unless theyre just being sneaky and will quickly return it after claiming their prize.

Kibbles

New ranking system across the games, Halo 1 will even have it.

They still need to change that UI up quite a bit.

I hate the big old flashcards, why not just a big list we can simply scroll down like in the past. Instead everything is fat and slow to navigate.

I really hate it and it's a shame to see it back in full force for this collection.

Chitown B

I dont know why everyone hates join in progress. Sucks being in a game that is severely unbalanced with no hope for new teammates to fill the gap. A guy and his guest leave unbalancing the game, then another couple quitters with bad attitudes also leave, then the game is wrecked and the few remaining people give up hope and leave. I played many games where it was only me and one other person left getting completely slaughtered by unbalanced teams.

It's worse if guys quit and then pros join in and wreck everyone. It's better to know the score at the beginning and then just play it out.

Chitown B

I think that some people do make retailer choices based on exclusives. I'm sticking with Amazon because it's so darn convenient (obviously the #1 decider), but if I wasn't, my choice would probably be made by the skulls simply because I do not care at all whether I order from Best Buy or Gamestop. They're both about equal distance away and charge the same prices. In that case I'd just pick whichever skull I wanted.

Which happens to be the Bandana. Damn you retailer exclusives.

But naw, no one is buying two to get both skulls. That is, unless theyre just being sneaky and will quickly return it after claiming their prize.

I'll be buying digital, because it's 2014 and I don't need to store discs anymore. Plus instantly playing as an app...... can't beat that.

Prezhulio

Did any of the halos in this collection run at 60fps (console versions)? The last halo I played was 3 and I feel like that was 30fps, but it was around launch so it's been a while and I could be wrong.

If that was the case that they all ran at 30, the 60fps upgrade may be the biggest differentiation for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom