• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers Club Unlocked Appreciation Thread (saving $$$ for the console/handheld gamer)

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
In celebration of Best Buy offering Gamers Club Unlocked for $30 next Sunday (it is usually $120), I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread detailing why this service is currently the best way to save money for handheld/console gamers.

UPDATE: GCU is now permanently $30, yay!

5794i40BD6C43E8312F5D

What is Gamers Club Unlocked?

It is a continuation of the Best Buy gaming benefit club that was originally started alongside their affiliated Gamer magazine. Once the magazine was dropped, it turned into the money saving machine that keeps giving. Basically you get a ton of discounts on games!

Be specific.... and why am I still in this thread?

Okay okay okay okay okay okay, let me get to the point.

Leo_1.gif

Gamers Club Unlocked retails at $120 for a 2 year membership, and provides the following benefits:

- Get 20% off of new video game software
- 10% bonus trade-in credit on your video game software trade-ins
- 10% off pre-owned games
- Buy two, get the third free on pre-owned games via special welcome coupon
- Save 50% on a new strategy guide via special welcome coupon

The big one is 20% off all new games. That equals $12 off $60 games, and $8 off $40 games. In two years, buy 11 or more console games = you saving money. I agree, that is a lot of games.... but what if you only had to buy 3 console games to start saving money?

$120 is way too expensive!

I have good news. Starting next Sunday (deal runs from 10/26 to 11/08) you can get Gamers Club Unlocked for $30. That is 75% off. The only catch is that you have to buy a game of $39.99 or greater value during that week to get the discount. So if you you are planning on picking up Sunset Overdrive at launch, you can get GCU for $30 at Best Buy alongside that purchase. Or, if you can somehow stomach waiting three extra days for Bayonetta 2, you could get the deal as well
Sanity not guaranteed to stay intact if you wait three extra days to pick up Bayonetta 2

Buying games at $50 (with tax) is still just too expensive for my skin.

Does $40 sound better? What if I told you that most major releases (Nintendo games excluded... sigh) gave you $10 in Best Buy reward points if you pre-order before pick-up? Sounds pretty cool huh? Here are a list of games coming up with the $10 BB reward promotion:

- Sunset Overdrive
- COD: Advance Warfare
- AC: Unity
- Halo: MCC
- GTA V
- Far Cry 4
- Dying Light
- Evolve
- The Witcher 3
- Batman: Arkham Knight
- BattleField: Hardline
- Elder Scrolls Online
- Halo 5

Note: Best Buy reward points can only be spent at Best Buy and take 15 days to become available.

Meh. Some of those games will be selling for $25 two months later.

True, and if you can wait that long then all the more power to you. The good news is that with GCU you would still get a 20% discount off that $25 to make it even cheaper. Best Buy also price matches almost every single major retailer (including Amazon.com) but the GCU discount won't be applied on price matches.

BUT-WAIT.jpg

What if I told you that with GCU, there was a way to play all the games you want at launch just for the entry price of one game! Crazy, right? Saddle up, this might get long:

- I bought Destiny for $50 at launch thanks to GCU discount. I also received $10 in reward points.

- the next week, I traded in Destiny at Best Buy
do you really have to ask why?
. Best Buy was offering $40, but GCU members get an extra 10 percent towards trade-ins so I received $44. In case you aren't keeping track, I bought Destiny for $50 and got $10 in rewards. That is a $40 transaction in my mind. Best Buy gave me $44 for the trade in. So Best Buy gave me more back then what I originally gave them!

- I picked up Shadow of Mordor the same day. My Best Buy points weren't available at this point, so I spent $6 to get Shadow or Mordor. I received another $10 in Best Buy reward points for this purchase.

- a total of $56 has left my wallet, bot not a single penny more will be given.

- I received $44 for Shadow of Mordor the next week and picked up Alien Isolation for $50. With my Destiny reward points in play, I spend nothing. Sadly, Alien Isolation wasn't a part of the $10 BB reward point promotion.

- The next week, I traded in Alien:Isolation towards Evil Within. With my left over Destiny reward points and my Shadow of Mordor reward points, I spend nothing once again. I also recieved a $10 gift card for purchasing Evil Within.

- At this point, I could continue this trend and get Bayonetta 2, Ac: Unity, Far Cry 4, GTA V, and Smash Bros WiiU without spending another dime.

- Each game should get you anywhere from $42-$44 dollars in trade in credit as long as you trade it in within a reasonable time span (2-3 weeks).

Edit: Geneijin brought to my attention that smaller releases might start off with less trade-in value or not even be available for Best Buy trade-in at all. For more information seek out his post (#142).

- Yes, it is basically a glorified Gamefly without the long waits. But at least the developer/publisher is still getting your money this way.

- bonus: each trade in should net you 80-88 reward points. 250 = $5 best buy certificate. So you will also be racking up BB certificates doing this method. Also, any dollar spent in Best Buy gives you a point. So if you buy a game with cash/credit/debit, you should get 50 points after the GCU discount. The reason trade-ins net you so much is because GCU members get double the points for trade-ins.

Summary of "but wait....there is more": After initial purchase, trade-in game in timely manner and pick up brand new one with little to no extra cost. While doing this, you will also rack up reward points which gets you more best buy money. This is all thanks to GCU discounts.

Any other questions? Ask away. This really is a great service for gamers and I can't recommend it enough!

hwy_61

Banned
It's definitely a great program. If you're buying a game at full price, GCU is a no brainer. Y'all better take advantage of that $30 deal!

I know I will to extend my existing membership.

GCU pays itself off so quick. It's a great value at $30. I paid $30 got it last year since Best Buy offered it to me at that price.

I'm considering going ahead and buying 2 more years since $30 is the sweet spot. Remember, you get every $60 game for $48, and a 10 percent increase on trade ins. You also get the 20 percent off all game sale prices. So whatever big gaming deals Best Buy has this Black Friday, you can get that item for 20 percent off the sale price....crazy good deal....

GCU works online as well for purchases on bestbuy.com. however you do not get the GCU 20percent off of a game price you price match from another store. It's either GCU or the price match not both...

Mrbob

Yep! That's what I'm doing.

Keep in mind that it is $30 with a game purchase of $39.99 or more.

Oh ok. I am planning on buying Sunset Overdrive anyway so it is all good.

I'm intrigued..

GCU is pretty much the best combining the 20 percent off discount with 10 dollar pre order coupons. I paid 60 dollars for my initial subscription around March and already made my money back.

It's fantastic, it allows me to play most new AAA games at little to no cost (or even some profit when combined with the 10 gift card and ebay)
Got to play Shadow of Mordor, Destiny, and Evil within and I'm out...maybe 10 bucks?

Neifirst

This is certainly a great deal, especially if you're a current or future Wii U owner interested in the Smash Bros. / Gamecube controller bundle. GCU members can preorder it online for in-store pickup for $80 + tax.

Skiesofwonder

It's fantastic, it allows me to play most new AAA games at little to no cost (or even some profit when combined with the 10 gift card and ebay)
Got to play Shadow of Mordor, Destiny, and Evil within and I'm out...maybe 10 bucks?

Yeah that is what I detailed in the OP at the end, and it is beyond awesome (and simple to do). I've played Destiny, Shadow of Mordor, Alien, and Evil Within with just spending $56 and taking advantage of trade-in prices and best buy reward points. If I wanted to stop, I could trade in Evil Within for $44 (assuming it starts at $40 like every other game) plus I already have $15 reward points left over from my previous transactions. In essence, I would have spent $56 to play through four quality games and then turned it into $59 of best buy credit.

But I don't plan to stop lol

overcast

My brother and I got it for free when we got our PS4. I'm getting the super smash GameCube controller bundle for 80 + tax. That's a victory in my book.

Not to mention the rewards points + pre order bonus money adding up quick.

I got into this months ago after hearing about it on GAF!

The best deal ive taken advantage of in a long time. I even got it for half price because of the deal GAF told me about.

Thanks guys!

I hopped on last year when they had 2 years for $60. What a great decision. Most games that I buy on release day I get for $40 (after a $10 BB certificate). And then 20% off on sale items and coupons.

It's highly recommended from me.

Japarican

Banned
The only reason why I'm not getting Halo digitally is because it's 40 at best buy and my Destiny trade-in payed it off. I didn't know you could keep doing that for the certificates as long as you pre-ordered, hot damn I'm starting that train next year.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm that's a damn good deal actually. I'll consider it. That trading games in a week or two after launch thing is pretty awesome, but you have to dedicate the time to beating a game in a week. Not sure I have that kind of time anymore.

Isotope

OP, I can't thank you enough for this thread. I was contemplating on getting GCU, but for $30, I really don't see how I can't take advantage of this.

I'm assuming the $40 game purchase to get $30 GCU does include 3DS games, right

Skiesofwonder

OP, I can't thank you enough for this thread. I was contemplating on getting GCU, but for $30, I really don't see how I can't take advantage of this.

I'm assuming the $40 game purchase to get $30 GCU does include 3DS games, right

Np! Yeah as long as the 3DS game is $39.99 or above then it will work.
Can I get the 30.00 deal if I preorder a game from them that week or must I buy a game? Does a preorder not count?
I don't think so. Now if you are putting down $40 towards a game you might be able to talk specific stores into doing it. Depends on how lenient that manager is.

Yeah, this is 20% off every game right?
This will make Christmas very nice.

20% off new games, 10% off pre-owned.

I bought it for 60 around April and I can say I've a saved a good 100 bucks, not to mention another 50 from reward certifcates. For 30 bucks, it is a steal. Hell, I have half a mind to get another two years but they'll probably have this deal again next year

netguy503

I bought four years when they had this for $60 (don't worry I had alot of certs so I only paid $60 for 4 years which is pretty much this deal- I'm not that stupid). I was told by a gaming rep from the store at that time that I could only go up to four years. Is this true/have they changed the rules? If so I'm very tempted to add another two years though they might have a better deal before March 2018.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
$30 nice. If there's b2, get 1 coming soon that about pays for it.

I got mine for free with the white Destiny bundle. I haven't used it, but 2 years is a long time.

Amazon always sends my games in a bubble enevelope and my shit gets damaged. Done with them.

Skiesofwonder

I bought this earlier this year and I still buy all of my games digitally

I think I messed that up

Well at least you supported a great service!

I bought four years when they had this for $60 (don't worry I had alot of certs so I only paid $60 for 4 years which is pretty much this deal- I'm not that stupid). I was told by a gaming rep from the store at that time that I could only go up to four years. Is this true/have they changed the rules? If so I'm very tempted to add another two years though they might have a better deal before March 2018.

I'm not sure about that. I am a bit worried though that Best Buy won't be around in 2018...

netguy503

$30 nice. If there's b2, get 1 coming soon that about pays for it.

I got mine for free with the white Destiny bundle. I haven't used it, but 2 years is a long time.

Amazon always sends my games in a bubble enevelope and my shit gets damaged. Done with them.

You get a b2g1 coupon with the gcu purchase(even at $30)!

Chairhome

Skylanders, Disney Infinity figures and Amiibos also get 20% off.

Getting the Smash gamecube bundle for $80+tax with the discount. I love GCU.

Best way to do GCU is to get the BB credit card for the extra points bump. I'm getting 148 just for Evil Within, post GCU discount...that's insane.

Best rewards program for games ever. I'll definitely add two years on...good through 2018 baby :D

SeanTSC

Absolutely love GCU. It saves me a ton of money with how many games I buy per month. I average around 4 per month, though sometimes it's as high as 6 or 7.

20% off + $10 pre-order bonuses + rewards points is saving me many hundreds of dollars.

Skiesofwonder

Best way to do GCU is to get the BB credit card for the extra points bump. I'm getting 148 just for Evil Within, post GCU discount...that's insane.

Best rewards program for games ever. I'll definitely add two years on...good through 2018 baby :D

Wow I have heard good things about the card but wasn't aware it tripled your points! I've thought about getting one and paying it off ASAP just to get the points, but as a college student with limited amounts of income I'm afraid that I might walk into Best Buy to pick up a game and walk out with a brand new Xbox One lol.

I paid $60 for it when Mario Kart 8 came out. Can I extend it by 2 years if I pay $30 for it next week? I already made my money back on it and then some (that buy 1 get 1 free 3DS game sale!). I've even been sharing with friends since I get their reward zone points when they buy games.

SeanTSC

I wish I could get the BB credit card. Unfortunately I'm pretty much a ghost and since I have no credit record I can't get their credit card. Going to have to build my credit up with some card that requires a few hundred dollar deposit some day heh. I've just never had a use for a CC or anything that builds credit before sadly. Always paid for things in cash.

Skiesofwonder

I paid $60 for it when Mario Kart 8 came out. Can I extend it by 2 years if I pay $30 for it next week? I already made my money back on it and then some (that buy 1 get 1 free 3DS game sale!). I've even been sharing with friends since I get their reward zone points when they buy games.

Yes you can! That's what I will be doing.

Mugatu

The extra 10% for trade-ins is hit or miss because BBY's system only gives it if they scan your card at the right time. I only got it about 50% of the time.

Skiesofwonder

The extra 10% for trade-ins is hit or miss because BBY's system only gives it if they scan your card at the right time. I only got it about 50% of the time.

It shouldn't be. I tell them that I am GCU right when I get to the counter and if they mess it up I nicely ask them to do it again because I'm suppose to get an extra 10%.

Toki767

I find you have to tell them beforehand so they know. Most people handling the trade-ins ever since they moved from the video game section to the regular customer support section aren't aware of what GCU even is.

Top Bottom