• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers Club Unlocked Appreciation Thread (saving $$$ for the console/handheld gamer)

foxdvd

I love this program..

I have one question. I am already a member and I am thinking about adding 2 years. If I buy a game at 39.99 it will be discounted down because I am already a member. Will I still be able to get the 2 years for 30 bucks, or do I have to buy a game at 50 so that it will still be over 39.99 after my discount?

I love this program..

I have one question. I am already a member and I am thinking about adding 2 years. If I buy a game at 39.99 it will be discounted down because I am already a member. Will I still be able to get the 2 years for 30 bucks, or do I have to buy a game at 50 so that it will still be over 39.99 after my discount?

Probably need a 50 dollar game but honestly, It has to be in store because thats the only way to get the membership i think and they might not be very strict in store.

As far as the discount for buying new/pre-owned games goes, sharing is easy. Just give your card to the family member in question or he/she can just give the employee your telephone number linked to the account (make sure they mention GCU). Best Buy won't ask for anything else and it should work!

As far as trade-ins go, they usually ask for your ID.

OK thanks. I don't really do tradeins any more but I guess my brother might.

Hm, I was going to trade in The Evil Within next Friday and pick up Bayonetta 2, but it looks like I'll wait that hellish wait of 2 days so I can be eligible for this. This is a crazy deal isn't it?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Do you get 20% off the full priced game you have to buy along side the $30 membership?

If you don't already have GCU then I don't believe so.

Hm, I was going to trade in The Evil Within next Friday and pick up Bayonetta 2, but it looks like I'll wait that hellish wait of 2 days so I can be eligible for this. This is a crazy deal isn't it?

It's the best way to buy retail video games.

I have a question. If you preorder more than onr copy (lets say CoD) do you get multiple preorder bonuses. I know the limit is 3 so lets say you preorder 3 copies, would you get three times the bonuses?

Coins

Banned
Couple questions.

1) Couldn't I buy a full price game to get the membership and return the game? Then buy it from another BB with the discount?

2) Is the BB reward zone thing a credit card program or just a frequent purchaser thing?

I have bought more games this year with the GCU than I have in probably the last 5 combined. With how crazy sales have been I became someone who waited. I totally did not know about the trade in though and I actually am thinking about Destiny now because despite liking it, I've only played for a few hours since launch.

Skiesofwonder

I have a question. If you preorder more than onr copy (lets say CoD) do you get multiple preorder bonuses. I know the limit is 3 so lets say you preorder 3 copies, would you get three times the bonuses?
The pre-order promotions of $10 reward points can only be used for a single copy of a specific game per best buy account. So no, you would only get $10 in rewards for all three copies.

Couple questions.

1) Couldn't I buy a full price game to get the membership and return the game? Then buy it from another BB with the discount?

2) Is the BB reward zone thing a credit card program or just a frequent purchaser thing?

1. It is possible depending on the store you frequent.

2. Gamers club unlocked and the best buy credit card are two separate things that are not tied to each other.

Fuck that shit. For $87 out of pocket I'll just buy a Playstation TV or Nexus TV I'll never use.

The GCU for $30 deal only works with video game software purchases that are $39.99 or above.

I love this program..

There's a topic on the BB unboxed forums asking that very question, still waiting on an official response. I think it'll work, but we'll see.

BlindRage

This is honestly why I can't go all digital and don't see it happening for a while.

still hoping they'll let me get the $30 GCU since I'm buying the white x1

The pre-order promotions of $10 reward points can only be used for a single copy of a specific game per best buy account. So no, you would only get $10 in rewards for all three copies.

1. It is possible depending on the store you frequent.

2. Gamers club unlocked and the best buy credit card are two separate things that are not tied to each other.

The GCU for $30 deal only works with video game software purchases that are $39.99 or above.

No, I know the $10 is limited to once. But I'm talking about the game's preorder bonuses. Like, for example, CoD's day 1 perks.

Q: Once I am a member of Gamers Club Unlocked, is there a limit to how many new video games I can buy with my 20% discount?
A: Yes. Members are limited to three copies of a new (i.e. not pre-owned) gaming software title per platform, per year. Collector’s and Limited Editions count toward that title limit. Game of the Year editions, usually released much later including additional content do not count toward that limit but would essentially start as a separate game and limi

This means copies of the same game correct? I get can more then 3 different games a year for this price correct?

ViciousDS

Banned
the deal is incredible at $120.....due to the fact they allow 3 copies per game with the 20% off....I pre-order for my little brother and buddy now. They pay me....I get all the points....so I'm actually gaining money most of the time for doing nothing lol. When they check out as well they just give them my phone number at the register and wallah 20% off. I keep a checklist on what games have reached there limits....but if you have a close group of buddies you only need 3 people to chip in $10 for that special and just pre-order online to in store through the one buddy who picks everything up the day it comes out lol.

Skiesofwonder

No, I know the $10 is limited to once. But I'm talking about the game's preorder bonuses. Like, for example, CoD's day 1 perks.

That I do not know about. I'm assuming yes though.

This means copies of the same game correct? I get can more then 3 different games a year for this price correct?

Yes, it is referring to three copies of one specific game, all on the same platform. So your account would be at risk for banning if you went out and bought three+ copies (with the GCU discount) of Alien: Isolation for the PS4. The 20% discount is unlimited outside of that.

Boogiepop

Here's a random question: if I preorder Bayonetta 2, would I have to pick it up before the deal starts, or would they hold it long enough? Also, can you preorder online for in store pick-up? Just a bit worried about stock, potentially.

ev0

Here's a random question: if I preorder Bayonetta 2, would I have to pick it up before the deal starts, or would they hold it long enough? Also, can you preorder online for in store pick-up? Just a bit worried about stock, potentially.

This deal is instore only, so you can't do online for instore pickup because you can only buy GCU in-store (currently at least) (also, technically you may be able to go through to customer service shenanigans to get it added when you pick it up; but probably not worth your time and is highly dependent on CS competency).
Your best bet is to pre-order it in store $5 down. When you go to pick up the game (they should save it for a week) they should be able to add the GCU to the transaction then.

RedAssedApe

Banned
this isn't related to GCU but it looks like BB are offering $100 trade in for PS3 Slim and Xbox 360 S 250GB. When you trade the console you also get an extra $50 you can use if you use it towards the purchase of PS4.

OK I'm in, especially now that Amazon has started to charge sales tax in my state there's reason for me not to do this.

General question: f you preorder a game from BB online for in store pickup, you get charged when you preorder, right? Not when you pick up? That is one nice thing about AZ, not getting charged until the game is shipped.

Boogiepop

This deal is instore only, so you can't do online for instore pickup because you can only buy GCU in-store (currently at least) (also, technically you may be able to go through to customer service shenanigans to get it added when you pick it up; but probably not worth your time and is highly dependent on CS competency).
Your best bet is to pre-order it in store $5 down. When you go to pick up the game (they should save it for a week) they should be able to add the GCU to the transaction then.

Cool, thanks. I guess I'll see if I can get over there some time this week, and if not I'll just hope for the best/grab Fantasy Life instead if needed.

Skiesofwonder

OK I'm in, especially now that Amazon has started to charge sales tax in my state there's reason for me not to do this.

General question: f you preorder a game from BB online for in store pickup, you get charged when you preorder, right? Not when you pick up? That is one nice thing about AZ, not getting charged until the game is shipped.

Yeah Best Buy charges you the full amount when you pre-order online. There have been reports of their online store putting weird holds on your account (that eventually disappear) but they might have fixed that by now...

Cool, thanks. I guess I'll see if I can get over there some time this week, and if not I'll just hope for the best/grab Fantasy Life instead if needed.

Answering your question earlier, pre-orders will be held for up to seven days.

Love GCU. My brother and I share an account with a friend of ours (we split GCU 3 ways when it was $60 for 2 years and he spends enough at BB the past few years for premiere elite) and it works great. The 3 of us get to get 20% off new titles, only thing is we do have to call dibs who gets the preorder of those specific games that give you an extra $10 back in reward points.

Smokey

Best deal in gaming. I've had it for a year and have racked up a bunch of certificates. I get most of electronic items from Best Buy since its 2 blocks away. $30 should be a no brainer.

JJP12

I heard about gcu from gaf a few months back when it was $60 and I consider that a steal! I'm pretty sure I've already made my money back. I would highly recomend this to anyone that buys lots of games. I honestly don't know how I would survive November without gcu lol

I think I might get this. Can anyone tell me if I can just return the 40 dollar game I purchase to get GCU. Also, is it 20% off brand new releases or is it for all new games, regardless of when they came out?

Skiesofwonder

so can i preorder COD:AW and get GCU for $30?

If you mean putting $40 towards a preorder, maybe no... maybe yes. It's gonna depend on the store and how lenient the manager is.

I think I might get this. Can anyone tell me if I can just return the 40 dollar game I purchase to get GCU. Also, is it 20% off brand new releases or is it for all new games, regardless of when they came out?

It's 20% off all new games no matter their release date. Returning the game you got the GCU discount with is going to depend on the store.

tw1164

I was wondering this as well, also digital pre-order discounts would be great

I'm guessing no, but any way to easily use this on digital purchases?

I doesn't, I asked them when i was trying to get the destiny digital edition that included the DLC. They explained they don't make the same margins, but I honestly don't think that's the reason. I thing the real reason is so the get you into the store(although you can get your game shipped).

It's $20 off of new games, not just new releases. You'll probably not like their response when trying to return the game you used to get the deal, but even so, why try to pull one over on them? You're already getting a pretty damned good discount. No need to muck it up for the rest of us and have them modify the terms even more to save a couple bucks.

If you're really that hard up, then either don't bother with GCU, seeing as you'll almost always need to spend money to utilize it anyway, or buy something like Sunset Overdrive and flip it for credit ASAP-- you'll make most of your money back.

I don't mean to specifically call you out, since your intentions are probably not so sinister, but rather a general message for anyone reading this and considering the program-- please don't mess it up for the rest of us.

Also, it's been repeated constantly over on CAG that you'll be able to apply the 20% to the game you purchase with the GCU, so consider that plus the bonus you get for trading in games if you're planning on flipping. You can preorder Sunset Overdrive and receive a $10 giftcard, get 20% off at the counter, and then return it with a 10% bonus tiv-- that's got to be pretty close to what you end up paying for it, excluding tax.

Geneijin

Wow, about time GCU had its own thread here.

If you return a game like Natural Doctrine or Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate that was part of a $10 BestBuy gift card preorder bonus, you'll get charged for the free gift card since the gift card was part of a promotional offer. You could get charged the full amount for GCU if you choose to return that game from that promo.

20% off new games in general. Don't let the managers tell you otherwise. They can be wrong. If they do, contact customer service.

Geneijin

- Each game should get you anywhere from $42-$44 dollars in trade in credit as long as you trade it in within a reasonable time span (2-3 weeks).
This is not true however. Not all titles are guaranteed to have a $40 trade-in value in the first week. Some titles aren't even accepted for trade-in because BestBuy does not give them a value; therefore, BB will not accept those games for trade-in. I hate to say this, but if a person was interested in the more limited release games - Japanese titles like Danganronpa 2, GCU may not only not list them for trade-in, but GCU may not even sell some titles like Atelier Rorona Plus and Xblaze Code:Embryo. Moreover, if such titles are not preordered, expect BestBuy to essentially have a limited first come, first serve at their store. What that means is whatever stock BestBuy has initially from the first shipment may be the last time they ever sell them. For example, the first Danganronpa game had like 2-3 restocks before finally being delisted, and Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited is nowhere to be found on BestBuy.com anymore. That's my warning if someone likes these types of games.

- bonus: each trade in should net you 80-88 reward points. 250 = $5 best buy certificate. So you will also be racking up BB certificates doing this method. Also, any dollar spent in Best Buy gives you a point. So if you buy a game with cash/credit/debit, you should get 50 points after the GCU discount. The reason trade-ins net you so much is because GCU members get double the points for trade-ins.
If I may add, here's why it's better to shop as GCU member more than a PUR member:

GameStop reward points are as followed
10 points per dollar spent on all new games and consoles
20 points per dollar spent on pre-owned games, accessories and consoles
20 points per dollar on traded-in games or consoles

- https://login.gamestop.com/Home/FAQ

Being a PowerUp Rewards member means 1% back on buying new games, and 2% back on buying used games in the form of membership points. Spending $100 on used games at GameStop nets 2,000 points as a PUR member which is equivalent to $2 since 4,000 points is needed to redeem a $5 off used game coupon or 5,000 points to get a $5 off new game. However, being a Gamers Club Unlocked member means 4% back on buying new and used games in reward points. 250 points is needed to redeem a $5 rewards certificate. By buying $100 worth of games is 200 points back, that's equivalent to $4 back in reward points at BestBuy. This isn't even including the Elite/Elite Plus membership perks and BestBuy's rewards card, which stacks with GCU. It makes GameStop's card offer a joke in comparison.

Best way to do GCU is to get the BB credit card for the extra points bump. I'm getting 148 just for Evil Within, post GCU discount...that's insane.

Best rewards program for games ever. I'll definitely add two years on...good through 2018 baby :D
Is the credit card just for BB or can it be used anywhere?

TheGamer

I've had Gamers Club Unlocked for a while now and I absolutely love it. The 20% off makes it a great deal for me because I usually buy games on Day 1.

Skiesofwonder

Update:

- pre-orders will NOT get you the 75% discount for GCU, even if you are putting $40 or more towards a game.
- online orders set for in-store pickup will NOT get you the 75% discount on GCU.
- you will get the 75% discount for GCU on any $39.99 (or more) video game bought in-store, even if your current GCU membership brings the price you pay to below $39.99. So yes, you can pIck up Fantasy Life, Smash 3DS, etc. with the 20% off and still get GCU for $30.

Source: Best Buy forum and CAG

This is not true however. Not all titles are guaranteed to have a $40 trade-in value in the first week. Some titles aren't even accepted for trade-in because BestBuy does not give them a value; therefore, BB will not accept those games for trade-in. I hate to say this, but if a person was interested in the more limited release games - Japanese titles like Danganronpa 2, GCU may not only not list them for trade-in, but GCU may not even sell some titles like Atelier Rorona Plus and Xblaze Code:Embryo. Moreover, if such titles are not preordered, expect BestBuy to essentially have a limited first come, first serve at their store. What that means is whatever stock BestBuy has initially from the first shipment may be the last time they ever sell them. For example, the first Danganronpa game had like 2-3 restocks before finally being delisted, and Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited is nowhere to be found on BestBuy.com anymore. That's my warning if someone likes these types of games.

If I may add, here's why it's better to shop as GCU member more than a PUR member:

GameStop reward points are as followed

Being a PowerUp Rewards member means 1% back on buying new games, and 2% back on buying used games in the form of membership points. Spending $100 on used games at GameStop nets 2,000 points as a PUR member which is equivalent to $2 since 4,000 points is needed to redeem a $5 off used game coupon or 5,000 points to get a $5 off new game. However, being a Gamers Club Unlocked member means 4% back on buying new and used games in reward points. 250 points is needed to redeem a $5 rewards certificate. By buying $100 worth of games is 200 points back, that's equivalent to $4 back in reward points at BestBuy. This isn't even including the Elite/Elite Plus membership perks and BestBuy's rewards card, which stacks with GCU. It makes GameStop's card offer a joke in comparison.

Thanks for clarifying! I'll add an edit/note to the OP about smaller releases and trade-in credit.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
with Black Friday around the corner do these deals apply to sales items ?

Skiesofwonder

with Black Friday around the corner do these deals apply to sales items ?

I didn't have any experience with this so I did some looking around and I believe the answer is yes (saw multiple people on CAG saying that it works). I know for a fact that it works on regular game sales.

This seems really good. I just don't think I can stomach trading my games in. Not that I have too.

Well even if you don't trade in games, at a $30 entry price you should start saving money on your 3rd or 4th new game purchase.

Top Bottom