• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers Club Unlocked Appreciation Thread (saving $$$ for the console/handheld gamer)

malfcn

I've loved it.
Only thing is one time they didn't give me bonus points on a game trade and when I got $300 for my arcade.

Super misleading first paragraph. It's $30 only if you buy a game priced at $39.99 or more.

Anyways. GCU is awesome if you buy a lot off games.

netguy503

Super misleading first paragraph. It's $30 only if you buy a game priced at $39.99 or more.

You only have to preorder Farcry 4, AC4, and Call of Duty/ GTA5 (which any gamer should be doing anyway). You get $30 gc off that alone and each game will only be $48 bucks. :)

hwy_61

Banned

Which is addressed in an underlined paragraph further down. Its not misleading if you bother to read the OP.

wanders

IF YOU'RE A BEST BUY EMPLOYEE YOU CAN GET GAMERS CLUB UNLOCKED FOR $20 UNDER GAMING EMPLOYEE ACCOMMODATION

Edit: Lol didn't see the promotion. Get on it guys!!!

RedAssedApe

Banned
great deal especially if you can split the cost between friends or family.

i use my brothers gcu account whenever i want to buy something from bb and just place an online order for store pickup. they allow you to specify friends and family pickup so i can get stuff on launch days without having to get it shipped or having my bro do the pickup.

quesalupa

Holy crap $30???? (With purchase of game) I'm jumping all over this.

OMG at the "but wait there's more." Can we delete this thread so Best Buy won't see it.

I take it the $39.99 game is probably post GCU discount for current members? What I mean by that is, if I wanted to extend my membership I'd need to buy a game that goes for at least $50 before my discount? I wanted to grab Fantasy Life but after discount that would only be $32 + tax.

netguy503

Are you 100% sure pre orders work?

I meant you buy the $40 game with a $30 CGU 2 year membership. When you have it THEN you preorder those three games (each game will be $48 + tax btw) and each game I listed comes with $10 back in certs= $30 (the price you just paid for a 2 year CGU sub). So you've already made back your money the first month of your sub and you have 2 years left plus you didn't have to pay normal price for those three games. When you look at it that way that's crazy value.

This sounds amazing. I wasn't going to buy Lords of the Fallen until December or so, but I want this $30 deal, so I guess I can make Lords my $39.99+ purchase.

netguy503

So what happens if you buy the game, get the GCU, and return the game?

You have to wait 2-3 days to return or they will flag your account but after that you probably will get $44 dollars week of release for a $60 game (that you only pay $48 for).

If you want to go that way you might want to do the SO deal. Get SO for $48+ $10 in certs+ 48 points on your account, wait a few days, and return it for $44 + 88 points on your account (I believe you get an extra point on your trades w/CGU for every dollar plus 10% extra so you might get more than $44). If you get 250 points on your account you will get a free $5 cert as well.

SalvaPot

I might jump into this, but Best Buy hates my dirty mexican credit card (I live in the Border) and the store is too far away from me to go regularly.

So my question is this. Can I go to the store once, get the subscription (I do have a US address) , and then anytime I want to order a game online from them, I could buy a best buy gift card, redeem it online and order the games online?

I know it sounds a little bit complicated.

netguy503

I might jump into this, but Best Buy hates my dirty mexican credit card (I live in the Border) and the store is too far away from me to go regularly.

So my question is this. Can I go to the store once, get the subscription (I do have a US address) , and then anytime I want to order a game online from them, I could buy a best buy gift card, redeem it online and order the games online?

I know it sounds a little bit complicated.

Yes. You only have to go to the store to get the subscription (which I think is dumb, why not online?).

I will probably wait until Sunday to buy Bayonetta 2. I am going to be so tired on Friday and I can wait a day.
Also, it comes with a B2G1 free coupon is nice.

Mugatu

It shouldn't be. I tell them that I am GCU right when I get to the counter and if they mess it up I nicely ask them to do it again because I'm suppose to get an extra 10%.

I find you have to tell them beforehand so they know. Most people handling the trade-ins ever since they moved from the video game section to the regular customer support section aren't aware of what GCU even is.

Might just be my store but personally I don't count on that 10% anymore. It's not that big of a deal but it just annoys me since it's supposed to be a benefit and I often don't receive it.

With the 20% off I think this is still a great deal that will pay for itself quite quickly and I plan on getting it again.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
3 per platform then you risk getting banned. Same with trade ins

*I think you mean 3 of the same game.

You can buy as many games as you want and continue to get the GCU discount. Just don't buy 3 or more of the same game while getting the GCU discount on all 3 (puts you at risk for being banned but isn't guaranteed).

BlindRage

*I think you mean 3 of the same game.

You can buy as many games as you want and continue to get the GCU discount. Just don't buy 3 or more of the same game while getting the GCU discount on all 3 (puts you at risk for being banned but isn't guaranteed).
Yeah my bad, I thought that's what he was asking by a limit. But they did just change it to where you could buy 3 cod ghost for x1, then 3 cod ghost for ps4, etc. before it was just 3 of the same game no matter the system.

You could buy every single game that comes out in the 2 year period and get the 20% off.

Remeard

This is really great if you're planning on picking up a collectors edition of a agame. Got Destiny Ghost Edition, made it 30 bucks off the price plus I got the 10 dollar gift card

I've got a question: Is there a limit on how many games you can use the discount towards?

I buy a ton of Nintendo games so this sounds good at first glance but if it stops giving me a discount midway through the year or something, I'd like to know in advance.

Skiesofwonder

I've got a question: Is there a limit on how many games you can use the discount towards?

I buy a ton of Nintendo games so this sounds good at first glance but if it stops giving me a discount midway through the year or something, I'd like to know in advance.

It was just answered above, there is no limit unless you are buying the same game over and over (3 or more times) on the same platform:

Yeah my bad, I thought that's what he was asking by a limit. But they did just change it to where you could buy 3 cod ghost for x1, then 3 cod ghost for ps4, etc. before it was just 3 of the same game no matter the system.

You could buy every single game that comes out in the 2 year period and get the 20% off.

And thanks blindrage, I had no idea that they changed it to a per platform basis now. Not sure if I would ever take advantage of the change, but hey it's a change for the better!

Skiesofwonder

oh what, my bad. I must of looked over it.

You're good, sounds like you would get a great benefit from the program if you are buying physical copies and not digital. Now, if only we could get Best Buy to start offering $10 reward certificates for pre-ordering major Nintendo releases as well...

Boogiepop

Awesome! A bit of a shame that those $10 things aren't going to Nintendo preorders, as I generally buy stuff on Nintendo consoles a lot, lot more. But still, I was trying to figure out if there was some way to make this feasible a while back, but the $120 entry fee made it feel not worth locking myself to Best Buy. But $30 I can definitely do. Just out of curiosity, the game purchase required to sign up for this should also get tagged with the discount, yeah? Anyway, had Bayonetta 2 on preorder from Amazon, so this should actually probably get me it sooner, anyway!

Wow. I think I'll actually do this. Guess I'll cancel my Pokemon preorder at Gamestop too. That'll be twenty bucks made up for in a few weeks. Maybe I'll pick up fantasy life or harvest moon. I think I'll still do the free amiibo offer at whichever store that was for smash though.

How is the discount applied? Will sharing with family be possible or would i have to personally do the shopping for them?

A shame Nintendo games don't do the extra bucks thing, though.

Skiesofwonder

Wow. I think I'll actually do this. Guess I'll cancel my Pokemon preorder at Gamestop too. That'll be twenty bucks made up for in a few weeks. Maybe I'll pick up fantasy life or harvest moon. I think I'll still do the free amiibo offer at whichever store that was for smash though.

How is the discount applied? Will sharing with family be possible or would i have to personally do the shopping for them?

A shame Nintendo games don't do the extra bucks thing, though.

As far as the discount for buying new/pre-owned games goes, sharing is easy. Just give your card to the family member in question or he/she can just give the employee your telephone number linked to the account (make sure they mention GCU). Best Buy won't ask for anything else and it should work!

As far as trade-ins go, they usually ask for your ID.

Kriken

$30 for 2 years with the purchase of a $40 game? Guess I'll start looking into some 3DS game I missed since I already have a Bayonetta 2 pre-order locked in elswhere

gdt

Damnnnnnnnnnnnn definitely buying this. I gameshare on PS4 with my brother but I can use this for

games he's not interested in

and Wii U/future XBone games. At $30 I'm there.

gdt

Bayonetta, Smash, Dragon Age III, Lords of the Fallen.....I'll make my money back on that alone.

I'll wait 3 days and buy it with Bayonetta -_-

Skiesofwonder

So I could cancel my mcc order and pay it in store to get the deal?

Yeah you can't attain GCU through an online transaction (unless maybe you did store pick-up and asked to pick up GCU at store..... but I'm not 100% sure of that). So buying the product in-store is the safest way to guarantee your GCU @ $30, and then you can go back to buying through the best buy online store and start getting your GCU 20% discount!

Bayonetta, Smash, Dragon Age III, Lords of the Fallen.....I'll make my money back on that alone.

I'll wait 3 days and buy it with Bayonetta -_-

Sanity not guaranteed!
but your wallet will be happy.

Top Bottom