• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked for FREE with purchase of $15 prepaid phone this week.

Credit to CAG and Slick Deals. Best Buy has a deal for Gamers Club Unlocked 2 year membership for FREE with purchase and activation of any cell phone. Regular price is $99 for GCU. It is in this week's ad. However, fine print says prepaid phones do not need to be activated. They have the AT&T Z222 and LG TracFone (I bought this one) for $14.99 each...I just did it and it works without a hitch and doesn't need a manager override.

Here is how I did it.

1. I had them scan my Free Best Buy rewards zone membership card first..or you can give them your phone number and have them look it up. A good cashier will ask if you are a MyBestBuy/Rewards Zone Member before they even scan your goods. ..

2. Then scanned the Gamers Unlocked Card I found on an endcap in the gaming section (it will ring up $99, but relax)

3. I had them scan the phone 3rd, and the $99 charge for Gamers Unlocked dropped to $0.00...

$16 and some change out the door without a hitch...you can just throw out the phone....

This WILL extend your current GCU Membership. Mine was going to expire in February 2016, it now expires February 2018. You do not need to buy minutes with the phone. They will "activate/scan" the phone when you buy it, but you do not need to buy any extra minutes to make the phone work. The "scan/activation" is needed so you can add minutes to the phone if you want to in the future. This is so people cannot steal them and buy minutes for them somewhere else. My phone even says "You must scan this phone at the register to activate it"

Here is a link to all the Best Buy Games that will net you a $10 rewards certificate for preordering. You can preorder online and have it shipped, preorder online and pick up in store, or preorder in store and pick up in store. You will be emailed the rewards certificate in about 3 weeks after you get the game.

Games with the $10 Preorder Rewards Certificate (this makes the game approx. $38 with the GCU Discount), at the moment, include:

Ass Creed Unity
Batman: Arkham Knight
Battlefield Hardline
Dying Light
The Elder Scrolls Online
Evolve
Far Cry 4
Grand Theft Auto 4 Remaster
Halo 5 Guardians
Halo Master Chief Collection
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

If you want to no more about the GCU program, check out the GAF Appreciation Thread.

I went to get the LG phone and it was sold out at almost all Best Buys. I found one at a different store so I ordered it online and when I got there they wouldn't price match it because it was ordered online so I bought this net 10 wireless activation kit (I have no idea what it even is) and it worked. $6.99 no price match no hassle. I got 2 and am good for 4 years now. Thanks Best Buy.

mi6fSGTdCqgtxMVGm57eFvw.jpg

If you are buying the NET 10 Wireless Activation, follow the steps below! Thanks to paulgandersman
-Enter your rewards phone number first, make sure they pull up the account you want to use.

-Scan GCU cards

-Scan net10cards (employee will have to select and "activation plan" for each, all are $0.00)

-All GCU cards should now be $0.00

-check out!

Also, does anyone know if best buy will match target's buy 2 get 1 sale next week? And if so can you use GCU with it?

Link to Slick Deals thread on this deal!
http://slickdeals.net/f/7306992-fre...one-including-prepaid-no-activation-req-d?v=1
Link to CAG thread on this deal!
https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic...purchase-and-activate-any-cell-phone-112-118/

McDougles

At the very least, make sure to recycle those phones in proper receptacles that deal with electronics recycling!

I'm really hesitant to extend past 2018, but the price is tempting me. I'm not of the mindset that Best Buy will be closing by then, but I just don't see the point-- and when the price keeps dropping like a rock out of nowhere like this, I'm even more hesitant.

Really, I'm fearing a nerf to the program is coming soon. The sales keep coming more often, and they're more extreme each time, mostly to the detriment of impulse buyers like we saw last week. I'd hate it if it was restructured once again and removed some of the limited perks it already provides, but I can't fathom why else they'd be so aggressive with the pricing of the program (notice the overall price has also dropped to $99 as of this week).

The Argus

Not a bad deal. A burner and a year of game discounts for like 20 bucks. Might do this so I can pretend I'm Jack Bauer.

Can you stack the year for membership? I've got a year left but for 15$ can't beat it!

Mine shows online that it stacked, in the threads I posted it's stacking as well....I had little over one year left, now I have 3.

I've never seen it this cheap, I was happy to get it for $30 early this year...

yatesl

I'm from the UK - is this a discount card or something? What else does it do? I can't imagine paying that much just for a reward card.

So what do you get with best buy gamer unlocked?

I would like to know this as well.

Pretty easy to check:
http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club-Unlocked/td-p/723505

A bit more to it than what Chicagocubsfan posted, but that's the gist of it. Of course, the way they're dropping the price and discounting it left and right, I'd halfway expect it to be 10% off and no point bonuses in the near future

I posted a link in the OP to the appreciation thread.

20 percent off all games (all new games will cost you $48), including sale prices, 10 percent trade in bonus, 10 percent off new games....Its all detailed very well here.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=914725

If you buy 2 games new in the next 2 years, that will save you $24 and pay for this deal.

Does it stack onto sale offers? So, if they did a B2G1 deal like Target - would three new games only cost me $98?

_woLf

Wow, if this extends your membership if you already have it, I may have to go take advantage of this...

20 % off all new games for 2 years. So all day 1 games are now 48 dollars instead of 60, 40 instead of 50, 32 instead of 40, etc. You also get rewards points that will get you coupons and credits.

Yeah, and most of the new big titles coming out the next year get you a $10 rewards card/gift card to use on a future purchase if you preorder. This makes all new $60 games you purchase around $38....

Does it stack onto sale offers? So, if they did a B2G1 deal like Target - would three new games only cost me $98?

GCU stacks with ALL sales at Best Buy, but does not apply to price matches. You either get the price match, or the GCU discount, but not both....

If Best Buy does their own B2G1 deal, it will stack with that deal...

Pretty easy to check:
http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club-Unlocked/td-p/723505

A bit more to it than what Chicagocubsfan posted, but that's the gist of it. Of course, the way they're dropping the price and discounting it left and right, I'd halfway expect it to be 10% off and no point bonuses in the near future
I dont think they can nerf it, especially for the people that paid $120 for it when it came out. I expect some kind of GCU tiers in the future though. That would make more sense.

Timan

Developer
Tip too, those 15$ phones are perfect for switching to tmobile if you ever plan on doing so. Instead of trading in smart phones hehe.

Kriken

Wow, I JUST got a new phone last week >.<

Oh well, $15 for a junk phone I won't use? Sure I'll add another 2 years to last week's deal

Wow, I JUST got a new phone last week >.<

Oh well, $15 for a junk phone I won't use? Sure I'll add another 2 years to last week's deal

I'm gonna let my 7 year old play with the phone. It has a camera and MP3 player so she can have at it lol....

I dont think they can nerf it, especially for the people that paid $120 for it when it came out. I expect some kind of GCU tiers in the future though. That would make more sense.

A tiered system would be sensible, and I'd bite providing the benefits were worth the asking price. However, it's not out of their nature to remove features from GCU, even if some of them were limited-time programs from the get-go. Plenty of people were pissed the last time they adjusted the terms and removed some of the perks (though I wasn't a subscriber back then, it was memorable nonetheless). I wouldn't put it past them to sell as many subscriptions as they could before adjusting the program, seeing as the terms allow them to do as much.

At any rate, I'm worried solely because of their seemingly incessant drive to discount GCU more aggressively and more often. Judging from the recent pricing trend, by Black Friday it'll probably be handed out for free to the first thousand customers per store. Let's hope some sort of revamp is on its way and proves to be beneficial, not stabbing newcomers in the back.

I don't mean to be so negative about all this, because it really is a fantastic deal-- I'm just concerned over all the red flags popping up left and right. I'll quit with the tinfoil hat speak from here on out ;)

Do you need Rewards Zone or what? I'm not seeing anybody in the CAG or SlickDeals threads talking about that.

When I bought GCU with the 30 dollar deal last week, they had to enter a rewards zone account to attach the gcu to. The register would not allow them to sell it to me without that. It would register the GCU card, apply the discount, and then delete it from the transaction until the reward zone info was entered.

When I bought GCU with the 30 dollar deal last week, they had to enter a rewards zone account to attach the gcu to. The register would not allow them to sell it to me without that. It would register the GCU card, apply the discount, and then delete it from the transaction until the reward zone info was entered.

Do you know if signing up for a MyBestBuy account is the same thing as Rewards Zone?

Requires a Rewards Zone card?

Damn :-/

Not the credit card, you just need to be a free Rewards Zone member, if you are, you can just give them your phone number and they can look it up, but you want to give them that info first since the GCU is applied to your Rewards Zone membership. They may actually call it MyBestBuy Rewards or something now....

Once you are done with this deal, all you do is show them your Rewards Zone card, or give them your phone number, to get the GCU benefits. They also work online as long as you attach your Rewards Zone Account to your online Best Buy account...

Make sure they don't scan the bar code for the phone activation. I just ran back inside after buying the SO Bundle and had it done. She scanned the Reward Zone Card, GU and then the phone. It dropped it down to $16 for everything.

Paid $30 with the purchase of Bayonetta 2 last week. Oh well, can't complain, this is a great deal for anyone who hasn't hopped on board yet.

So are we sure this works at any Best Buy? I don't want to go and have $135 ringed up on my card lol.

I posted links to both CAG and SlickDeals threads in the OP. I'm not seeing anyone really having issues....I just heard it recommended to do this deal exactly as I listed in the operating...

Give them your free Rewards Zone Phone Number or let them scan your Rewards Zone card first, then the GCU card, then that $15 phone. The $99 GCU charge then goes to $0.00.

Top Bottom