• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Grand Theft Auto V will use additional DRM on PC (Steam + Denuvo)

Edit: It seems that Denuvo is not in GTAV:

9XJFEIc.jpg

From reddit.
http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2lkhrp/

Original:

Hi guys got some news for PC players.

Rockstar will use new DRM system in GTA 5 for PC. This system is Denuvo, which also used in FIFA 15 and Lords of the Fallen.
This System uses special code which changes every time so this DRM is still not hacked, and I think it wont be.
No more piracy on PC and only way you can play GTA 5 its Steam.

Got this info today. Also today Denuvo updated partners on their site. Rockstar now here too. So its confirmed.

image.jpg

Site http://www.denuvo.com

I think it is good they fight piracy, but Denuvo is very hard DRM and some people can have crashes or another issues like in Lords of the Fallen.
What are you think?

http://gtaforums.com/topic/745799-v-pc-to-use-denuvo-drm/#entry1066428562

This is pretty dumb. They could have just used Steam. Denuvo is supposedly like SecuROM.

Adamas

Neo Member
Well, as long as it's not Windows Games Live. Oh my god that was awful. Didn't they removed WGL on GTAIV recently ? Are they that dense ?

iNvid02

this is from the people that brought you securom, ffs i hated that piece of shit.

still, its impressive that both those games remain uncracked

Wow, combined with the "here's content you can only play if you bought a last gen version" R* really don't want me buying their fucking game at anything other than Steam Sale pickup pricing.

Firebrand

Did not know LotF had this thing. I guess that one can slide further down the wishlist then.

edit: Not seeing anything on LotF's page about DRM. Hm.

If this hurts performance like some people have claimed it does in Lords of the Fallen, then they can fuck right off. I'll avoid every game with it.

Etnos

Banned
DRM is not cool, but people should enrage at pirates not the studios protecting their intellectual property.

Would you like your products to be steal freely?

Having a dupe steam.exe isn't hard. You've never seen someone in your friendslist play a game but when you check it says "Non-Steam" game?

Yes, even retail copies I believe.

Oh I thought that's when you added a non steam game to your games list so you could launch it through steam.

Yes, there are people who do. Steam's DRM is easy to crack, but it's very helpful in stopping pre-release games from being pirated.

Ah ok.

Corpekata

Banned
Wasn't there allegations this DRM was one of the problems with Lords of the Fallen's shaky launch? Not sure if it ever panned out, but I'd like to see a list of exactly which games are using this and see how many of them have had poor PC versions.

DieH@rd

Banned
Denuvo is strong shit. Fifa15 is still not cracked.

This move will give GTA5 at lest month or two [or six] of no cracks.

Rapstah

Does every Rockstar PC game have to have some fucking thing between Steam and the actual game? Who did what to Rockstar to cause this?

feel

Because PC players waiting for GTA5 haven't suffered enough, for fucks sake.. This better be the mother of all well optimized PC ports.

Glass Rebel

Oh, that's alright, I'll just keep my money then. The late release was bad enough but they can fuck right off with this shit.

Corpekata

Banned
Will this interfere with mods?

Rockstar in general will. They don't like them and patches frequently deliberately broke them. It wasn't until the game was not being patched anymore that we saw real movement on that front, especially since people had to brute force everything.

Top Bottom