• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Grand Theft Auto V will use additional DRM on PC (Steam + Denuvo)

Wow, combined with the "here's content you can only play if you bought a last gen version" R* really don't want me buying their fucking game at anything other than Steam Sale pickup pricing.

Oh the humanity of missing out on a few cosmetic items and a little bit of money. Hopefully 60fps will make up for it.

GTAV has its fair share of cheaters, so they need something to help protect people online. Too bad it couldn't have just been Steam.

Orayn

Well, in that case it's pretty impressive.

Yeah, Lords of the Fallen has lasted a week and a half now, FIFA 15 since the last week of September. That said, part of it might be lack of motivation since LotF is somewhat niche and FIFA's main audience is on consoles.

Squishy3

"Denuvo is the new company formed from a management buyout of the Sony DADC DigitalWorks team, the team that developed best-of-breed copy protection systems like SecuROM for games and Screen Pass for movies"

No fucking thanks

Kinthalis

Banned
IF the DRM is transparent and doesn't cause any issues for me as a paying customer, and it's not intrusive in any way.

I don't give a crap. Hell, good on them. Anything to stop pirates that doesn't affect my time with the game is fine by me.

dreamfall

Here's the thing: with all the Shark card ish to upgrade clothes, vehicles, etc. I figured they'd be pretty tight about how they'd control the game.

But if this makes modding problematic, that will be really sad news.

Yeah, Lords of the Fallen has lasted a week and a half now, FIFA 15 since the last week of September. That said, part of it might be lack of motivation since LotF is somewhat niche and FIFA's main audience is on consoles.

You can bet that after this news they will kick it into high gear.

Orayn

IF the DRM is transparent and doesn't cause any issues for me as a paying customer, and it's not intrusive in any way.

I don't give a crap. Hell, good on them. Anything to stop pirates that doesn't affect my time with the game is fine by me.

Denuvo might wind up interfering, it's supposedly been a source of bugs and performance problems in Lords of the Fallen.

Kezen

Banned
I can totally understand the need of protecting your investment, I just hope performance will not suffer too much from this DRM.

Man, I am on edge about this now. Not sure if it's enough to prevent me from buying it, but I'm getting damn cautious, and it certainly won't be close to day one until I see what problems there are.

Wait, it affects performance?

Fuck that, then. This is more than inconvenience and just a straight up insult.

Supposedly. I haven't really looked into it, but I saw some article the other day alleging it does. Shit like this has hurt performance before. Back when Witcher 2 launched the Steam retail versions ran significantly worse than the GOG (DRM free) version. Luckily CD Projekt patched out the DRM for everyone once it was known.

Dmented

Banned

I doubt that. I guarantee they're doing all they can on these new forms of DRM. It's probably fun to them to see if they can crack something they're not supposed to.

Freeman

Banned
There had to be a catch, R* seems to hate PC. Why make PC gamers wait then? There will be no way to pirate the game, so what is the excuse?

See you when this game gets a patch to remove this shit once its hacked (assuming it doesn't take longer to fix the issues caused by a possibly bad port) by that time it will probably have a much better price on steam anyway. No lack of games for 2015.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
this needs to be in more games before people start jumping the gun on hit hurting real buyers, two games are using this so far. lords of the fallens has performance issue and stuff but thats down to developer issues and bugs not drm.

i find it a bit sad how many people here are saying practically they arent buying gta on pc now because its trying to stop hackers (which so far neither both games have been cracked).

DRM is not cool, but people should enrage at pirates not the studios protecting their intellectual property.

Would you like your products to be steal freely?

I don't think a lot of people who are getting $60 games for free are sitting around thinking I'll buy these later. There might be some but a lot are just enjoying getting games for free.

So throwing DRM in there is only a hindrance to legit buyers

"Denuvo is the new company formed from a management buyout of the Sony DADC DigitalWorks team, the team that developed best-of-breed copy protection systems like SecuROM for games and Screen Pass for movies"

No fucking thanks

Cause when I think good DRM, I think SecuROM.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2275464

I can totally understand the need of protecting your investment, I just hope performance will not suffer too much from this DRM.

"Too much"

If it suffers at all then this DRM is trash.

ElRenoRaven

Well. This made my choice easier. I'll wait till Ps4 or xbone version is cheap and won't be touching the PC version with a 10 foot pole.

MUnited83

For you.
Oh the humanity of missing out on a few cosmetic items and a little bit of money. Hopefully 60fps will make up for it.

GTAV has its fair share of cheaters, so they need something to help protect people online. Too bad it couldn't have just been Steam.

Denuvo does jackshit to prevent cheaters. Denuvo has no anti-cheat system at all.

Orayn

I doubt that. I guarantee they're doing all they can on these new forms of DRM. It's probably fun to them to see if they can crack something they're not supposed to.

I'm sure people have been trying, it's just not an urgent matter yet. I mean, the SC2 beta lead people to build a pirate version of Blizzard's authentication servers to crack it on PC, so there's precedent for people going to extraordinary lengths when a game is in sufficient demand.

daxgame

woah, I didn't even know that there were non-pirated games nowadays. Wasn't this Denuvo thing used in FIFA14 though? I'm confused as to what's changed. I don't know how it works.

Nzyme32

If DRM hurts performance or breaks a game, publishers should be required to provide a refund upon request. I understand I'm getting ahead of myself here, but news like this is frustrating considering how much the pc landscape has changed over the last 5-10 years.

Completely agree with you. However, I have no idea if this is actually a good or bad solution. I don't even know how the Steamworks DRM solution works, but I like it since it doesn't seem to effect me playing a game, it's performance or using it offline.

IF this solution can offer the same issue free use and stability, I won't care. However, it is rare that a DRM solution has been actually good news for the paying customer, so I am sceptical

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I mean Fifa not being cracked yet is one thing. But this is GTAV. I'm fairly certain there will be massive interest in cracking it, more so than Fifa

Isn't this the DRM that's linked to causing massive performance issues in PC games? Lords of the Fallen being the most recent title with these issues.

Umm... What the fuck Rockstar?

Reminds me of when The Witcher 2 launched with SecuRom. Lots of people complaining about horrible performance, meanwhile the smart people who got it on GoG were all "What are you talking about?". The culprit was of course SecuRom, which CDProjekt promptly patched out.

a) must resist tag quote
b) DRM doesn't affect pirates by its very nature. It only affects legitimate customers.
c) GTAV has a fucking dedicated online mode thats regularly updated and goes through their own servers. You know how there's no pirate copies of things like League Of Legends, or World Of Warcraft? Its because connecting to a master server for an online game lets you do server authentication on users - its the same as always on DRM, but less offensive as if you're playing an online game you're expected to be online anyway.

DRM stopping pirates from downloading the game doesn't affect pirates???

And your answer is that instead of going for an unobtrusive, unbroken DRM scheme they should instead make it always online??

WTF

LilJoka

I think many of us already had/have doubts on the port performance, and now if the DRM just causes sacrificed optimization, it could be a really bad situation for the game. I was really wanting to buy for the 2nd time, something I have never considered in my life before.

Ill wait till after release before making my decision now.

Completely agree with you. However, I have no idea if this is actually a good or bad solution. I don't even know how the Steamworks DRM solution works, but I like it since it doesn't seem to effect me playing a game, it's performance or using it offline.

IF this solution can offer the same issue free use and stability, I won't care. However, it is rare that a DRM solution has been actually good news for the paying customer, so I am sceptical

As far as I know the Steamworks drm just runs a quick check to see if you are signed into Steam under the licence holder's username. Then boom, game.

It's not as if it's a second log in or anything like that as far as I know, it isn't with fifa at least. So you won't have to deal with it and it will be completely invisible to you.

Every piece of DRM software has fucked with my operating systems in some way, every damn one of them, so I ain't taking no chances anymore with that crap. DRM is nothing but a hassle that rewards pirates for pirating because they get to crack the protection and not deal with it.

Anti-piracy is a waste of time and money and only hinders paying customers. Offering more value, better experiences and more convenience is the better way to go. Steam, Netflix and the likes are getting rid of piracy way faster than any kind of DRM ever has.

Of course, but this is Rockstar, they don't care if the DRM screws up the game.

I've had 2 Rockstar games not work because of their DRM

Alasfree

I hope so too, and i hope rockstar is ready for all the complains because as soon there is a perf/stability problem this thing will be blamed immediately.

d00d3n

Good to know about this new drm. I was thinking of buying lords of the fallen at full price to support the developer, but I guess that won't happen after all.

It boggles my mind that game companies are still putting so much effort into drm. The kids who pirate everything can't afford games anyway. Why spend so much useless energy to prevent them from playing your games just because they didn't pay? Let them have their glitchy, inconvenient, multiplayer less fun for free, and recruit them as paying customers when they can actually pay for games. If they were playing and enjoying your games for free, they may be lining up as customers.

Squishy3

DRM stopping pirates from downloading the game doesn't affect pirates???

And your answer is that instead of going for an unobtrusive, unbroken DRM scheme they should instead make it always online??

WTF
there's 2 titles that use denuvo, let's not call it uncrackable, there will obviously be more interest for gta v to be cracked than lords of the fallen or fifa

Mrbob

Yo dawg I heard you liked DRM.

I will not be buying the PC version of GTA5 now. Especially since it seems like Denuvo hurt performance.

Sentenza

How does it works exactly?
Is this another one of these shitty DRMs installing stealth drivers on your system that are essentially annoying and potentially harmful malware, like Securom, TAGES and Starforce?

cool. You shouldn't be pirating anyways.
I... wasn't planning to?
But now incidentally I'm far less enthusiast at the idea of purchasing it.
Well done Rockstar, I guess?

sangreal

Every piece of DRM software has fucked with my operating systems in some way, every damn one of them, so I ain't taking no chances anymore with that crap. DRM is nothing but a hassle that rewards pirates for pirating because they get to crack the protection and not deal with it.

Anti-piracy is a waste of time and money and only hinders paying customers. Offering more value, better experiences and more convenience is the better way to go. Steam, Netflix and the likes are getting rid of piracy way faster than any kind of DRM ever has.

Steam and Netflix both use drm though

Top Bottom