• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Grand Theft Auto V will use additional DRM on PC (Steam + Denuvo)

If DRM hurts performance or breaks a game, publishers should be required to provide a refund upon request. I understand I'm getting ahead of myself here, but news like this is frustrating considering how much the pc landscape has changed over the last 5-10 years.

SerTapTap

DRM is not cool, but people should enrage at pirates not the studios protecting their intellectual property.

Would you like your products to be steal freely?
Look at music. They have up this fight long ago. Music didn't die because of it either

Denuvo is strong shit. Fifa15 is still not cracked.

This move will give GTA5 at lest month or two [or six] of no cracks.

Does this hamper the experience at all? I never played Fifa 15 and i'm wondering how well it performs. If it's completely invisible and doesn't cause a shitload of connection errors or bugs I don't really care.

Etnos

Banned
Look at music. They have up this fight long ago. Music didn't die because of it either

There is plenty of articles of how stuff like Spotify has fucked up revenues for artist, If you guys think that AAA Game Development like Grand Theft Auto big budget single player experience can survive in a pirate friendly environment... you guys are delusional.

Yeah. The steam.api is usually hack day zero.

Funny part is, I had to do this to my Steam version of Far Cry 3 when I bought it because uPlay wouldn't update and allow me to sign in. Kept that crack on the game for almost a year until uPlay decided to sort it's shit out.

There is plenty of articles of how stuff like Spotify has fucked up revenues for artist, If you guys think that AAA Game Development like Grand Theft Auto big budget single player experience can survive in a pirate friendly environment... you guys are delusional.

Oh no, how will GTAV possibly make a profit without this?

So basically put it into their day1 patch?

Isn't stuff like this just a challenge to crack it lol? Piracy exists. Live with it. You can adjust many things, but DRM won't help one bit.

They still haven't cracked Fifa 15, so maybe they have come up with something that works. I think it'll eventually be cracked, but we'll see. Either way, if it causes performance issues for paying customers, it's too high a cost.

leadbelly

Banned
DRM is not cool, but people should enrage at pirates not the studios protecting their intellectual property.

No previous DRM has worked. That's the problem. It has only ever hindered legitimate buying customers.

They claim this new DRM is hack proof. We'll see!

Chobel

Rockstar will use new DRM system in GTA 5 for PC. This system is Denuvo, which also used in FIFA 15 and Lords of the Fallen.
This System uses special code which changes every time so this DRM is still not hacked, and I think it wont be.
No more piracy on PC
and only way you can play GTA 5 its Steam.

Just a quick check on the internet, but it seems like both FIFA 15 and Lords of the Fallen have been cracked.

Edit: After some search, it looks like Lords of the Fallen wasn't actually cracked.
Edit2: FIFA 15 also isn't cracked.

The Cowboy

Well, that settles it for me, i was in 2 minds already but its 100% off the cards now at release - I'll wait for the inevitable Steam sale, I've waited this long for the PC version already, i can easily wait another 6 months.

Orayn

I'm pretty sure Lords of the Fallen has been cracked and released on torrent sites.

It hasn't. I still have from my accounts on various torrent sites from my wild days in high school, and a casual search for Lords of the Fallen turned up nothing. One could also check the release listings for major cracking groups, but I'm pretty sure none of them have done it yet.

It hasn't. I still have from my accounts on various torrent sites from my wild days in high school, and a casual search for Lords of the Fallen turned up nothing. One could confirm this more rigorously by checking with the major scenes that release cracks, since they have pages that list what they've released.

Exactly, and just because it's listed doesn't necessarily mean it even works.

You're presenting a false dichotomy here. The choice isn't between this DRM or no DRM at all.

ChapaNDJ

Banned
2bPa96e.gif

Of course, this will only affect paying customers while pirates play it freely without a problem or unwanted bloatware running around in the background. For fuck sakes.
As if i haven't had enough with Ubisoft pulling their games from Steam, now i get to deal with this shit.

Phamit

Denuvo is strong shit. Fifa15 is still not cracked.

This move will give GTA5 at lest month or two [or six] of no cracks.

Oh Fifa 15 using additional DRM? Played just like every other game from Origin.

So if the DRM is implemented the same way, it's not that bad and you won't notice this at all.

Isn't this the DRM that's linked to causing massive performance issues in PC games? Lords of the Fallen being the most recent title with these issues.

Umm... What the fuck Rockstar?

Dmented

Banned
Just a quick check on the internet, but it seems like both FIFA 15 and Lords of the Fallen have been cracked.

Just checked TPB and it going by the comments it has not been cracked at all. Seems people have uploaded copies that do not work.

a) must resist tag quote
b) DRM doesn't affect pirates by its very nature. It only affects legitimate customers.
c) GTAV has a fucking dedicated online mode thats regularly updated and goes through their own servers. You know how there's no pirate copies of things like League Of Legends, or World Of Warcraft? Its because connecting to a master server for an online game lets you do server authentication on users - its the same as always on DRM, but less offensive as if you're playing an online game you're expected to be online anyway.

I'm aware of private MMO servers, but its mostly irrelevant to the point

ymgve

The only thing I care about is if it works offline. If it's just an one-time activation thing I don't care, but I don't want another round of always-online DRM.

Rich!

Awesome, this is great news. The pirates will get a better experience than paying customers yet again! Brilliant!

/sarcasm

SparkTR

It hasn't. I still have from my accounts on various torrent sites from my wild days in high school, and a casual search for Lords of the Fallen turned up nothing. One could also check the release listings for major cracking groups, but I'm pretty sure none of them have done it yet.

Well, in that case it's pretty impressive.

Does this hamper the experience at all? I never played Fifa 15 and i'm wondering how well it performs. If it's completely invisible and doesn't cause a shitload of connection errors or bugs I don't really care.

It's quite buggy, but it's fifa and ea so who knows what is at fault it's tradition for the game at this point

LilJoka

Of course it will, Rockstar hates mods. The Steam version of SA was patched to kill the mp mod.

Thats not good at all.

My first reaction was, well if it doesnt really cause me any problems playing then i dont care, but killing mods is a problem =(

I get the feeling groups will be trying extra hard to break this DRM with it being GTA and all.

Top Bottom