• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic Star Wars games that still hold up today.

jackal27

Banned
Ever since seeing the new Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer, I have been in the mood for some Star Wars games. However, the more I try to find some to play the more I find that many haven't aged that well. SO, I've come to you NeoGAF to ask, what are you favorite Star Wars games that still hold up to this day?

For me:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

57485-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-windows-screenshot-upper.jpg

Even though I have only played a dozen or so hours of it, it's obvious that it's absolutely a by-the-books Bioware game and as such completely playable to this day. Menus can be a pain sometimes though and I'm terrible at C/WRPG leveling. This will probably be the game I mainly play. I have never played the sequel.

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron

Despite the sometimes janky controls, this game is still a blast the sound design is what really captured my imagination as a kid and what still excites me to this day. I have long lost my original copy, but I may have to go buy a new one for myself seeing how it's impossible to emulate. I have also never played any of this game's sequels.

Star Wars: Republic Commando

Totally ahead of its time and a great, atmospheric FPS. It's a tragedy this game never got an OG trilogy sequel where we could play as Imperial storm troopers. It would have been a last gen surefire hit given how well FPS games were selling.

How about you?

shanafan

I just picked up Dark Forces for PS1 for $3 the other day. I was in the mood for some Star Wars nostalgic!

But overall, KOTOR 1 is still a killer game. Loved playing it.

jackal27

Banned
I just picked up Dark Forces for PS1 for $3 the other day. I was in the mood for some Star Wars nostalgic!

But overall, KOTOR 1 is still a killer game. Loved playing it.

See, I have tried twice now to play Dark Forces, but I just keep getting lost and stuck which means I eventually end up giving up. Why is this game so hard to navigate!?

Im really surprised this hasn't been mentioned in either the OP or first post.

Jabox.jpg

Never played it :/ I think I rented it as a kid and just never got around to it.

JDHarbs

I usually can't go more than a year without diving back into some Battlefront 1 & 2. The MP is still addicting even with bots. Great for dry spells when there's really no games coming out that I like.

Where's my HD collection!

Edit:

Oh, and how could I forget this beauty.

256px-SWracer.jpg

Tie Fighter

Wow, so many great games in this thread. I don't think there is any other non gaming franchise that got so many great games like star wars did.

RE_Player

Battlefront 2 and Knights of the Old Republic. Yes there are classics like Tie Fighter and the Super games but by todays standards I don't think they hold up as well.

I play KOTOR at least once every year and it still never gets old. The pinnacle of storytelling for Star Wars games and Bioware.

ZeroCDR

Jedi Knight II / Academy
Rogue Squadron II and III

Super Star Wars Trilogy is also pretty fun, and several events from the films are hilariously misinterpreted.

jackal27

Banned
Battlefront 2 and Knights of the Old Republic. Yes there are classics like Tie Fighter and the Super games but by todays standards I don't think they hold up as well.

You know, I disagree on the Super games. I think they probably hold up the best out of the 8 and 16 bit Star Wars games. They're fun, easy to learn and control, and crazy over the top. I'm with you on Tie Fighter though. That game felt too old to me 10 years ago.

StuBurns

Banned
Republic Commando was a fantastic game. I'm not even a big Star Wars guy, and I loved it. Would be a good candidate for VRification this generation too.

bebop242

I've always had a soft spot for Jedi Power Battles. I've played it recently with my son and had fun with it.
still a janky frustrating mess of a game, but I still
love it.

Neff

All arcade Star Wars games are still really, really good, with the possible exception of Return of the Jedi.

What didn't you like about it? I bought it last winter sale and have put about twenty hours in and really liked it. I really need to get back to it :(

1. Glitchy as hell, even with fan patch.
2. Most of Telos was fetch quest this, fetch quest that without anything really interesting occurring.

I switched to F:NV which while has fetch quests at least presents them in a more interesting way.

liquidtmd

Banned
Do the SNES games hold up? Eyeing them on the Virtual Console but idk if I should get them.

They do. I replayed Empire in the last six months at least. MAN I found it tricky. I'm sure I never used to.

Satisfying. A bit repetitive and overrated by some, but the whole Super SW Trilogy on the SNES are solid great games.

I know many, MANY will diss it as classic status but I thought the Force Unleashed I on 360 was a fantastic romp. Segas Arcade POD RACER I played in the last year and would still love a perfect + port of it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Knights of the Old Republic I and II (modded) are still both excellent playing RPGs with among the best stories in the franchise. Obsidian's writing naturally elevates II's characters.

The Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series still holds up very well. Dark Forces 2 is a great shooter/melee of its era, and while I don't feel the level design of Jedi Outcast holds up as well, the melee sabre combat is about as good as the franchise ever got. It and Academy have very distinct and enjoyable multiplayers.

TIE Fighter is what it is. Classic, still holds its own, but largely because it has no contender. A self contained work.

Republic Commando kinda fits that bill too, and is perhaps the most bitter sweet of the lot, because the concept really deserved another outing with room to grow the squad mechanics and story telling. It's probably the very best thing to come out of the prequel trilogy, and deserves props for being a great Star Wars game where a lot of effort went into a perspective devoid of fucking Jedi shit.

Rogue Squadron is a weird one. I'd have to play it again. The series, when good, is really fucking good. But when it's bad it's a bit of a chore. Rebel Strike dropped the ball hard, weakest flight missions of the lot and terrible ground missions. Rogue Leader was particularly well rounded, from memory.

But we all know who is the real king of Star Wars video games.

yodadaujl.jpg

Probably doesn't hold up so well but dark forces 2 jedi Knight and its expansion mysteries of the sith was some incredible fun back in the day. Enormous levels for the time, loads of force powers to unlock as you progressed, plus multi-player had some of the best designed maps I've ever played on. Booby traps were so much fun to use on people, especially the star destroyer deck where you could remove the force field and just suck people out into space! Good times.

Zushin

I usually can't go more than a year without diving back into some Battlefront 1 & 2. The MP is still addicting even with bots. Great for dry spells when there's really no games coming out that I like.

Where's my HD collection!

Edit:

Oh, and how could I forget this beauty.

256px-SWracer.jpg

Yep this. Hoping one of the unreleased LucasArts games on GOG is this.

darthbob

Rogue Squadron is a weird one. I'd have to play it again. The series, when good, is really fucking good. But when it's bad it's a bit of a chore. Rebel Strike dropped the ball hard, weakest flight missions of the lot and terrible ground missions. Rogue Leader was particularly well rounded, from memory.

Rebel Strike was good for two reasons, and two reasons only. Rogue Leader Co-Op and the unlockable arcade cabinets.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
X-wing, Tie fighter, X-wing vs Tie fighter, X-wing alliance, Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy are eternal. I still play all of them regularly.

Lucumo

Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

66394-Star_Wars_Jedi_Knight_II_Outcast-3.jpg

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

jediacademy2.jpg

(not sure why there is blood, my version only had dismembering)

Love those games and played so much of the latter online. Those were the days...

vocab

Jedi knight outcast is the goat. Jedi academy is alright but man its short.

Racer has aged so bad for 64, but the PC version was so damn good.
Poor rogue squadron. Great game that has aged so bad. I can't even return to it.

Daingurse

Haven't played the original Kotor in many many years, but I know that game would still hold up, because it was good as fuck. Excellent RPG.

Rogue Squadron II
Rogue Squadron III
Podracer
Supremecy/Rebellion
Super Star Wars
Super Empire Strikes Back
Super Return of the Jedi
X-wing
TIE fighter
Yoda Stories

KOTOR is a bit buggy for my liking to be honest. Which is a shame as I love listening to the assassin droid's dialogue.

Top Bottom