• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic Star Wars games that still hold up today.

JB1981

2661051-superstarwarsempire_snespal.jpg

Super-Star-Wars-The-Empire-Strikes-Back-taun-taun.jpg

By far my favorite game for the SNES

WarRock

I tried to get into Jedi Academy some years ago and didn't find the single player all that good. It felt too much like a modded FPS, movement was so weird. One of those days I should try the modded multiplayer.

I'm gonna throw one out no one else will mention

Its almost 2 games in one, main part is a 2d brawler ala Turtles in Time but with Jedi Powers, splitting story paths depending on who you use. Is a freaking blast to play through it just on its own.

The other part of the game is a space combat sim that pits you against up to 3 bots that plays like mix of Rogue Squadron and X-Wing. If you can get a few friends along with the game you can play 4 player dogfights against each other, heaps of fun. Shame they never followed up on that as it would have made a neat little online game to play against friends.
I wouldn't mention it because the space parts are awful. It could be one of the few (Spiderman Shattered Dimensions being the other) really worthy beat'em ups for the DS, but nooooope, let's add badly design stuff instead of refining the mechanics and level design of the GOOD part of the game.

I'm gonna throw one out no one else will mention

Its almost 2 games in one, main part is a 2d brawler ala Turtles in Time but with Jedi Powers, splitting story paths depending on who you use. Is a freaking blast to play through it just on its own.

The other part of the game is a space combat sim that pits you against up to 3 bots that plays like mix of Rogue Squadron and X-Wing. If you can get a few friends along with the game you can play 4 player dogfights against each other, heaps of fun. Shame they never followed up on that as it would have made a neat little online game to play against friends.

I will second this. It didn't blow my socks off but it was still fun. I think there's a Gameboy Advance version too (it's missing the space shooter segments as I recall)

Probably doesn't hold up so well but dark forces 2 jedi Knight and its expansion mysteries of the sith was some incredible fun back in the day. Enormous levels for the time, loads of force powers to unlock as you progressed, plus multi-player had some of the best designed maps I've ever played on. Booby traps were so much fun to use on people, especially the star destroyer deck where you could remove the force field and just suck people out into space! Good times.

This. The game was impressive when it first came out and still holds up very well. I really miss the MSN Gaming Zone. I'd spend so much time on there playing JK its not even funny

Farks!

Knights of The Old Republic II
Elevates the whole Star Wars universe to a whole new level. It's a bit hard to digest at first because of it, but once the pieces start falling into place it makes all other Star Wars works look infantile.

Knights of The Old Republic
Not as good as its successor, but when it comes to the "classical" Star Wars experience this game has little competition.

Jedi Outcast
Problary the best action-oriented Star Wars game, togheter with the rest of the series. Those ligthtsaber battles were the real deal.

jackal27

Banned
A lot of folks are hating on the Super Star Wars games which makes me really sad. I almost included them in the OP, but changed my mind to leave some room for other folks' suggestions.

I think they're great games that really capture the spirit of Star Wars in a retro action game context. They throw away what doesn't make sense for an SNES video game and build off of the source material to be totally over the top and a blast to play.

Yeah they're pretty unfair and the controls aren't airtight, but in general they're fantastic in my opinion with iconic soundtracks, gorgeous visuals, awesome expanded universe creatures and characters, and neat interpretations of scenes from the movies. Just use save states.

Super Star Wars FOREVER haters!

So now that EA has rights to Star Wars, the chances of more star wars games on Steam is pretty much 0 right?

O-oh no... I never even though about this...

inm8num2

Tons of great games and mentions in here. Man, the glory days of the 90s. My faves are probably Super ESB/ROTJ, Shadows of the Empire, Episode 1 Racer, and Jedi Knight II.

Scarphace

KOTOR 1/2

I still go back and play these games, especially part 1, probably about once a year. Best star wars games there are.

Dead

well not really...yet
Republic Commando was amaze. KOTOR too

I played the shit out of Bounty Hunter too but I cant remember if it was because it was good or if it was because you could play as Jango Fett

Corgi

Banned
jedi power battles was pretty fun. had it on dreamcast and gba. The platforming was terrible though.

Anyone own the console version of eps 3? I remember the videos made it seem like a god of war style game with some pretty sweet looking lightsaber animations.

Why didn't more Star Wars games use live action footage?

It's cheesy now, but in the 90s with no feature films I was obsessed with the possibilities the games offered.

AdmiralSarn.jpg
kyle.jpg

Bubbins

To everyone mentioning the phantom menace the game, we all know that game was an overly complicated, buggy piece of shit with horrible voice overs (especially the ps1 version). However as a child I was amazed at the massive environments and the sheer fact that I was playing the movie. I do also remember getting lost and frustrated even with the strategy guide and it taking months if not years to beat it.

On a side note, rather than pausing, I once peed my pants while playing podracer on n64.

cakely

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast.

A "Cinematic" FPS long before every game went that direction. Great settings, boss battles, a fun plot. Loved it.

Cormano

It's great to see so many Jedi Outcast fans. I always that it was an under appreciated gem.

The problem with Outcast is that the story wasnt as good as Dark Forces 2.

Dark Forces 2 is by far my favorite SW games every and very tough sct to follow, although I enjoyed Outcast it sure disnt capture the charm that Dark Forces 2 had.

Lightsaber combat was awesome though.

IMO Kotor 1 and 2, Jedi knight series and empire at war( the strategy game). Man can we get a sequel to jedi academy please. Can you imagine a open world Jedi knight game? dear lord.

zoozilla

I still enjoy the original arcade game a lot.

swarcadej.jpg

I never played that, but I did play Sega's Trilogy Arcade game:

Star_wars_trilogy_arcade.png

I remember it blowing me away graphically when I first saw it. It was just like I was in the movies!

Can't say for sure whether it holds up nowadays, but back then I loved it.

Skab

For me,

Dark Forces
darkforces2.png

All of these games (especially the first three ones) capture the spirit of the original movie trilogy better than the prequels.

I absolutely love Dark Forces. I was already thinking about playing through it for the first time in a very long time thanks to the Ep 7 teaser, but I think this thread has convinced me.

GSR

Probably doesn't hold up so well but dark forces 2 jedi Knight and its expansion mysteries of the sith was some incredible fun back in the day. Enormous levels for the time, loads of force powers to unlock as you progressed, plus multi-player had some of the best designed maps I've ever played on. Booby traps were so much fun to use on people, especially the star destroyer deck where you could remove the force field and just suck people out into space! Good times.

I replayed these a few years back and they held up pretty well. I was pleasantly surprised at how complicated the levels were, with the various secret areas and the like - it was refreshing to play a shooter where exploration was so actively encouraged, especially given several force powers were dedicated to movement/manipulating the environment.

I tried to get into Jedi Academy some years ago and didn't find the single player all that good. It felt too much like a modded FPS, movement was so weird. One of those days I should try the modded multiplayer.

I wouldn't mention it because the space parts are awful. It could be one of the few (Spiderman Shattered Dimensions being the other) really worthy beat'em ups for the DS, but nooooope, let's add badly design stuff instead of refining the mechanics and level design of the GOOD part of the game.
I loved the space parts, soo much fun to play with friends, a mate of mine would play it against me all the time, we had many epic 15 min long dogfights. Both parts of the game were amazing, if they had of followed this game up and enhanced both it could have been a game for the ages.

Top Bottom