• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic Star Wars games that still hold up today.

Jabox.jpg

jedi_academy_full_titegalg.jpg

xevis

Banned
No love for Dark Forces? That game had terrific atmosphere. Also one of the first titles to use mouselook! I seem to Rebellion being quite good too but I've not played it since release.

Rockondevil

I still remember Republic Commando being one of my favourite Star Wars games and I am so amazed it never received a sequel at some point.
Obviously Battlefront 2 was amazing also, amongst other games.

As far as Star Wars games go, this is a real classic:

Battlefront_copy.jpg

I actually haven't played it in years, but in my mind I would like to think it still holds up. Also the X-Wing/ Tie-Fighter games are still great too.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Do the SNES games hold up? Eyeing them on the Virtual Console but idk if I should get them.

If you don't have nostalgia for them back in the day, they're awful. Hard for hard's sake, and borderline nonsensical much of the time. ESB is the most playable of the three but I wouldn't call any of them good by modern standards, and I never cared much for them at the time, either.

zma1013

Rogue Leader

screenshot1.jpg

full20040611112258.jpg

star-wars-rogue-leader-rogue-squadron-ii.jpg

Still the best looking Star Wars game IMO.

This shit had me legit amazed when I saw it running on a demo unit in a gamestop, and this was after having played Halo on my friend's Xbox for quite a bit. Comparing the size between the mammoth Xbox and the tiny Gamecube, I just couldn't believe it in my little pea brain. I'm just like, "How is this little purple box doing this?" That and seeing Resident Evil and Metroid Prime in magazines led me to buy the Gamecube the next year.

I played most of Jedi Outcast for the first time about a year ago and I don't know if it holds up that well. Maybe just barely, but there's a lot of old PC game bullshit kicking around in there. Hope you like quicksaving every five feet, especially for the three or so levels before you get the lightsaber. I've heard Academy holds up way better.

Episode 1 Racer's still pretty good though.

I really should replay Republic Commando again. Shame it didn't get a sequel.

I honestly hate Battlefront 2. FFS got it as a kid and even then I could see its flaws and they've only grown more obvious and painful as I've aged. The balance, the animations, the terrible gun feel, just everything about it is just off.

Seyavesh

Cw3WwpV.png

word up if you know this shit

this is the true best MP you'll find for any star wars game, ever

lightsaber battles that are actually like classic star wars movies, 'power balance' done right between mooks, heroes and jedi

this is the realest star wars MP game

accurately creating what the tension was supposed to be in the ep1 naboo power generator area with 'duel of the fates' playing? waaaay too fucking cool.

Kei-

Don't think I've seen anyone mention these two but;

Star Wars: Shadows Of The Empire on N64

Star Wars Episode 1: Jedi Power Battles on PS1

Oh, I also enjoyed that Jango Fett one, Star Wars: Bounty Hunter on PS2. I remember first arriving in Coruscant. So pretty back then.

Vaddon

Rogue Leader, that blew my mind when I first played it on the GC. Still the most impressive launch game I've ever played.

JNT

For me,

Dark Forces
darkforces2.png

Jedi Knight
ss_f25e18dacac9ccd2083363f5504ba7bf13d26a1d.600x338.jpg

Jedi Outcast
SWJK2_SS1.jpg

Knights of the Old Republic 1/2
kotor-knights-of-the-old-republic-468190_640_480.jpg

All of these games (especially the first three ones) capture the spirit of the original movie trilogy better than the prequels.

KKRT00

Jedi Outcast is like one of the best singleplayer game ever released.
Jedi Academy is like one of the best multiplayer game ever released.

The saber and force combat has not been beat to date. Its just amazing how deep and flexible the combat was and You additionally had one of the best movement schema of any TPP game ever released.

---
Modded KotOR 2 is better than KotOR 1.

Unmodded KOTOR 2 is also better than KOTOR 1.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Star Wars: Republic Commando

Totally ahead of its time and a great, atmospheric FPS. It's a tragedy this game never got an OG trilogy sequel where we could play as Imperial storm troopers. It would have been a last gen surefire hit with how FPS games were selling.

How about you?

How odd. I installed this game for the first time on my sons PC last night at 2 in the morning. He loves it.

Great idea for a thread by the way.

TheOddOne

Star Wars: Republic Commando

Totally ahead of its time and a great, atmospheric FPS. It's a tragedy this game never got an OG trilogy sequel where we could play as Imperial storm troopers. It would have been a last gen surefire hit with how FPS games were selling.

How about you?
RebelFM had an interview with the director of the game in 2009. Really great insight into the development of it.

I truly believe that Jedi Outcast is one the greatest action games ever made. The lightsaber combat and force powers are unique, well executed,and a blast to use. It's definitely in my top five. It's just a shame it doesn't seem to be more widely remembered.

mp1990

Banned
I just started playing KOTOR,and even i'm only 1 hour in,i can see why people like it.The dialogue it's very good,and the gameplay still hold's up today.

JackBauerCTU225

Neo Member
I loved KOTOR will always be my favorite.

I really remember liking SW Bounty Hunter where you played as Jango but that was a long time ago not sure how well that's aged.

I enjoyed battlefront a lot as well

EGM1966

Pretty much everything I could mention has been.

Amazing how good the brand was and how great so many of the ganes were too.

Sadly last game that comes to mind was the awful Kinect title, a horrible use of the brand and one of a number of low points for brand value.

Disney arguably have better track record than Lucas of retaining and preserving brand value so curious to see how they handle things including deals made before their ownership.

In some ways I'd be a lot more interested in great games based on Star Wars franchise than films. Or at least a bit of a return to the glory days of both.

Top Bottom