• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic Star Wars games that still hold up today.

2661051-superstarwarsempire_snespal.jpg

Super-Star-Wars-The-Empire-Strikes-Back-taun-taun.jpg

I had this as a kid, but it was so damn hard! I could never clear the first two levels.

jackal27

Banned
Surprised I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere:

It just popped back into my head as a Star Wars game I played the hell out of. Maybe the Playstation version doesn't hold up, but I played it on Dreamcast and I can't imagine it being less fun today. Essentially Twisted Metal Star Wars style. Dang, I need to pick it up and give it another shot soon.

Anybody played this recently?

KOTOR 1 & 2 hold up so well. I think it's the voice acting, it really brings characters to life.

I do a playthrough every couple of years...but I just get depressed about the lack of future Star Wars RPG's on the horizon.

EA / Bioware, you're our only hope.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Dark Forces still hold up to this day. I finished it last year after discovering it on Steam. Holds up well and has a mix of great paced gameplay and that Lucas Arts magic we've yet to see repeated.

My first introduction to the Star Wars universe was Dark Forces on PS1. I generally don't like FPSs, but there was something about that game I can't quite put my finger on. The exploratory elements perhaps?

RevenWolf

Surprised I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere:

It just popped back into my head as a Star Wars game I played the hell out of. Maybe the Playstation version doesn't hold up, but I played it on Dreamcast and I can't imagine it being less fun today. Essentially Twisted Metal Star Wars style. Dang, I need to pick it up and give it another shot soon.

Anybody played this recently?

Not too recently but that was a favourite of mine :D

I think I might pop it back into my Dreamcast one of these days, I really loved the special moves each character had!

My vote goes to that game, as well as KOTOR 2 and podracer, such good memories :)

SparkTR

My first introduction to the Star Wars universe was Dark Forces on PS1. I generally don't like FPSs, but there was something about that game I can't quite put my finger on. The exploratory elements perhaps?

It was pretty much a Doom clone, so maybe you like older shooters like Doom, Heretic, Strife, Hexen, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Unreal etc.

elohel

I love at the first post is not old star wars games lol

Well older than 10-15 years I guess but still basically 1-2 generations

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Think the OP nailed it, Kotor is by far the greatest game of all time and nothing has ever or will ever come anywhere close to it.

Tie Fighter was recently re-released on GOG and that absolutely holds up.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I had this as a kid, but it was so damn hard! I could never clear the first two levels.

Oh lord. I remember playing this a lot. I got a fair bit further then you but never completed it. Required pixel perfect jumping. As you say. A very hard game.

jackal27

Banned
I love at the first post is not old star wars games lol

Well older than 10-15 years I guess but still basically 1-2 generations

You're free to go older than that!

After something is about 2 generations back, I consider it ready to be nominated for classic or retro status. It usually seems weird to folks with a few more years under their belt, but heck I was around 10 when Rogue Squadron came out and my brother who is a junior in college was about the same for KOTOR!

EdLin

Neo Member
I still enjoy the original arcade game a lot.

swarcadej.jpg

You get three credits, one for picking an arcade game, another for picking an arcade game with vector graphics which were my favorite.

Third credit is for still being around and playing games if you played that when it first came out. :)

Munin

The SNES game are the definition of "does not hold up". Constantly respawning flying enemies, unfairly difficult, no checkpoints (if I remember right).

They still look nice but that's about it. Terrible games.

Jintor

Fuck man, Star Wars games are so rad @_@

I can't believe they never made a decent Bayonetta-esque action game. That... thing with Starkiller or whatever was complete shit.

It was pretty much a Doom clone, so maybe you like older shooters like Doom, Heretic, Strife, Hexen, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Unreal etc.

I only ever played demos of Doom, Duke Nukem and I believe Die Hard was a part of that "genre" of games as well? I really need to give them all a thorough play. Is the new Wolfenstein similar to this style of game?

Would Half-Life count as being similar to that classic style? As that's another FPS that I like.

I'm gonna throw one out no one else will mention

Its almost 2 games in one, main part is a 2d brawler ala Turtles in Time but with Jedi Powers, splitting story paths depending on who you use. Is a freaking blast to play through it just on its own.

The other part of the game is a space combat sim that pits you against up to 3 bots that plays like mix of Rogue Squadron and X-Wing. If you can get a few friends along with the game you can play 4 player dogfights against each other, heaps of fun. Shame they never followed up on that as it would have made a neat little online game to play against friends.

KKRT00

Fuck man, Star Wars games are so rad @_@

I can't believe they never made a decent Bayonetta-esque action game. That... thing with Starkiller or whatever was complete shit.

What? Nothing screams better than cutting enemies 20 times with blade look-like plasma just to kill them...
All games that includes Lightsaber, except for RPGs, should follow Jedi Outcast approach of one/two hit, one kill.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron

Despite the sometimes janky controls, this game is still a blast the sound design is what really captured my imagination as a kid and what still excites me to this day. I have long lost my original copy, but I may have to go buy a new one for myself seeing how it's impossible to emulate. I have also never played any of this game's sequels.

Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

66394-Star_Wars_Jedi_Knight_II_Outcast-3.jpg

SOTE-N64.png

This game right here

Came to post these 3. I should've known you guys would deliver!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
No love for Super Bombad Racing?

That game was solid you bastards.

I didn't play the 3DS version of Revenge of the Sith, but the GBA version is fantastic! I assume it is similar to 3DS game without ship battles. Very similar to TMNT GBA brawler. Two of the very best in genre, they definitely hold up.

I like the Starfighter games. Kind of a compromise between X-wing and Rogue games. Really enjoyed the first one, based on Ep. 1. On PC and PS2. Played a few years ago and I thought it held up well.

BumRush

Yeah kotor is one of the best games ever made. A 3rd game (non-mmo), developed by bioware, would immediately be one of my most anticipated games

jackal27

Banned
I'm gonna throw one out no one else will mention

Its almost 2 games in one, main part is a 2d brawler ala Turtles in Time but with Jedi Powers, splitting story paths depending on who you use. Is a freaking blast to play through it just on its own.

The other part of the game is a space combat sim that pits you against up to 3 bots that plays like mix of Rogue Squadron and X-Wing. If you can get a few friends along with the game you can play 4 player dogfights against each other, heaps of fun. Shame they never followed up on that as it would have made a neat little online game to play against friends.

You know what? I've heard great things about this game before, but never played it. I believe I was either burned by the Star Wars GBA games or just saw this as an expensive GBA port. Probably would have helped me out during that early DS drought. I think I may give this one a go!

As a kid I had fun with the co-op in Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles I mostly remember playing the Dreamcast version, but I also owned the GBA game. Neither are great games, but they're solid beat em ups to kill and hour or two on for an afternoon.

Most of them really. So many fond memories. Lucasarts squandered so much potential throughout the years. So much material for any genre of games.

WarpathDC

The ultimate sith modded KOTOR II is amazing. I am enjoying it for the first time now

And also thank you assholes for making me buy the SW collection on Steam now lol (any key reseller deals around?)

I find your lack of Atari 2600 Empire Strikes Back disturbing.

fI3bjXL.jpg

YESSSSS! My family was from OKC and we were in Dallas for a day trip when I saw this in the store and begged my dad for it. He (easily) relented and I just stared at it lovingly until I got home and played it until my hands were crippled from those tough 2600 joysticks.

Top Bottom