• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo to unlock Virtual Console timed trials in the near future, Card Amiibos coming

From the investor's meeting.
No official translation, but rough translations seem to confirm it
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/150217/04.html
Seems to be Wii U only for now, unlocking NES and SNES VC game trails based on the amiibo scanned.
Some more amiibo news from the investor's meeting:
Amiibo with the highest sell-through:
Marth-US, Captain Falcon-JPN, Ike-AU, Little Mac-EU.
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/247441-nintendo-details-amiibo-sell-through-rates-around-the-world
Link continues to be the most popular amiibo basically everywhere (except AU)
63% of amiibo have been sold in the US.
Lock if old or not appropriate.
According to the slides and commentary, Nintendo is looking into releasing card-based Amiibos along with the existing figure-based Amiibos. They also talk about Amiibos on the WiiU allowing for free VC demos, yes. The demos are limited to select "famous scenes" from related games, and there will be a play time limit. The scene selections will be rotated, but you cannot play the entire game for free. They plan on introducing this in the first half of the year.

I can't decide if this is desperation to find something else to do with Amiibo or desperation to find something else to do with Virtual Console.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I can't decide if this is desperation to find something else to do with Amiibo or desperation to find something else to do with Virtual Console.

They're just adding more value to the toys, which is a great thing to everyone involved.

Acerac

Banned

Not sure if Nintendo is desperate about Amiibos at the moment with their sales...

AdanVC

Not sure how I feel 'bout this... Cool I guess?? : / They need to resolve the amiibo supply issues first though.

I imagine it's to build up popularity for these character while giving more incentive to buy certain amiibo...also more incentive to buy VC games.
Seems smart enough. I thought about this as well. I'm guessing timed trials to prevent people just sharing amiibo and unlocking games for free-ish
Think of it as Masterpieces DLC.
basically...I wonder how downloading it will work. Do you just go to the eshop and scan it in to download? Or does it download a "hub" where all are available to play.

Soo lame. I'm tired of your same old vc games Nintendo

Exactly. I can't wait to play a timed demo of Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda for the literal hundredth time. Considering how poorly the VC has been handled, my expectations couldn't possibly sink any lower.

Mr. RPG

They don't even have that many Virtual Console games up on the Wii U's eShop to begin with.

Oh well. This is a strange thing to announce at their investor meeting.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I imagine it's to build up popularity for these character while giving more incentive to buy certain amiibo...also more incentive to buy VC games.
Seems smart enough. I thought about this as well. I'm guessing timed trials to prevent people just sharing amiibo and unlocking games for free-ish

I really don't think anyone is going to be buying amiibos to unlock a timed demo for old-ass VC games. It's an okay bonus, but that's about it.

Ok then.

I really hope for an amiibo game announcement by E3 or so. Of course nobody would really be able to play it anyway unless they make the figures more widely available.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I hope you get a decent sample, or a discount. If its like "Play for 10 minutes!!", then I don't see people caring. If you can get an hour to play, and like 20% off, that would likely do wonders.

Jakoo

For all of the people complaining about this in the thread--I feel like we are not the target audience. I feel like this is mostly targeting kids that may have these Amiibo's but are unaware of the "history" of the characters or franchises. Smart and simple way to promote the back catalog.

Fox Mulder

Having playable demos tied to amiibos is a great way to expose people to the games these characters come from.

It's totally harmless and could help push sales of the VC and maybe another surge of Nintendo support.

SerTapTap

Pretty lame but at least it's not actively harmful to people attempting to buy Amiibos at MSRP or for people who don't buy Amiibos. Which makes it pretty unique...

If it's the full game trial that's pretty cool. If it's just like Level 1 then not really cool.

If it's anything like the Smash trials, they're so incredibly short it doesn't matter if they're the full game or not.

duckroll

According to the slides and commentary, Nintendo is looking into releasing card-based Amiibos along with the existing figure-based Amiibos. They also talk about Amiibos on the WiiU allowing for free VC demos, yes. The demos are limited to select "famous scenes" from related games, and there will be a play time limit. The scene selections will be rotated, but you cannot play the entire game for free. They plan on introducing this in the first half of the year.

TheMoon

Why not just call it a pretty great idea.

Get more people to check out VC. "that old game for 8 bucks? eh ...oh free trial ...hey this is actually awesome, wow! *buys*"

I hope you get a decent sample, or a discount. If its like "Play for 10 minutes!!", then I don't see people caring. If you can get an hour to play, and like 20% off, that would likely do wonders.
There are probably several VC games that can be beaten in an hour so I doubt it.

added to the OP

Man it's almost like Nintendo's not targetting the people on NeoGAF who played all these games when they were originally released, and are fully aware the VC exists.

Scum

Card Amiibos for games with too many characters, innit. Pokemon. Yokai Watch. Animal Crossing.

duckroll

I wonder if Card Amiibos are Nintendo's solution to meeting the demand for the collection/functionality aspect while trying to address the issues they have with manufacturing a huge range of figures.

I'd like to know what happens when you put in a sonic or ike amiibo...

Nothing. Nintendo is full of great ideas that they never properly execute. Do you really think a three minute demo of Super fucking Mario Bros. is going to entice consumers to buy more Virtual Console games? I don't want to speak for other people, but man, I'm sick of NES.

I'd rather an Amiibo unlock the game entirely. Then I'd probably buy one. Make them unlock a full VC game with the character, but a random one. Knock the price up a buck or two, if you need to. I'll be there.

The card amiibos intrigue me. I hope they have some wicked artwork.

The demo idea is interesting I guess. I think some full game unlocks would be cool too though, especially for NES titles.

Man it's almost like Nintendo's not targetting the people on NeoGAF who played all these games when they were originally released, and are fully aware the VC exists.

Man, it's almost as if Nintendo seems to be looking for any excuse to exploit the same titles from their back catalog over and over, as if that somehow replaces new games.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I'd rather an Amiibo unlock the game entirely. Then I'd probably buy one. Make them unlock a full VC game with the character, but a random one. Knock the price up a buck or two, if you need to. I'll be there.

yeah that's what we need, more expensive amiibo

Hazu

Other than demos, I think it would be great if you could unlock themes on the 3DS/Wii U with Amiibo.

Lunar15

Card based amiibos? Boy that sounds familiar...

ereader.jpg

Fox Mulder

I wonder if Card Amiibos are Nintendo's solution to meeting the demand for the collection/functionality aspect while trying to address the issues they have with manufacturing a huge range of figures.

Or for lines too big for figures like Pokemon.

Top Bottom