• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo to unlock Virtual Console timed trials in the near future, Card Amiibos coming

Actions speak louder than words. I guess we'll have to wait and see if the issues are addressed or not. Look I don't know anything about what's going on at Nintendo or how Nintendo does business. Neither do you unless you work there. What I do know is that the amiibo situation is bad, and hasn't gotten any better it's worse actually with more and more amiibos seemingly only getting one print. They say this will be fixed. We'll see. Not all of us are willing to take Nintendo at their word.
Actions take a shitload more time than words though. And it's pretty clear Nintendo's taking a cautious approach with amiibos and waiting to see how they do before reprinting them, while working on new amiibos instead while they decide. Reprinting old amiibos necessitates either expanding manufacturing and getting more production lines (which isn't a quick or easy process by any means), or reducing the amount they make of the new amiibos

Dryk

Furthermore, by making them cards, you lose out on the whole "toy" aspect that makes things like this, skylanders, and Disney Infinity popular in the first place.
Yeah but you gain back the people that want the content without having to house a pile of figurines. If they use identical chips in both I think it would work out.

If they were significantly cheaper and I could purchase the cards I wanted (in sets works for me) then I might buy cards for content instead of restricting myself to buying figurines I want.

The cards are good for people who just want the functionality, but personally I could care less about them.

I want the figures and could care less about the functionality.
I want some of the figures and some of the functionality with very little overlap, it's a giant pain in the arse.

It means that Marth sold the most relative to what was shipped. Like, hypothetically lets say they shipped 1000 Marths and they sold 900, and they shipped 10000 Marios and they sold 7500, Marth would have the higher sell through rate since he sold more of his shipment compared to Mario. If that makes sense, I'm bad at explaining these kinda things.
But...Marth, WFT, Villager, Falcon, Pit, Mac, and Rosalina are all completely sold out in NA. They should be all tied unless I'm misunderstanding. Wat.

If they are little plastic cards similar to credit cards in size with a picture of the character, a little bit of history, and are not random, I'm okay with that. Maybe even put a little spot to sign them.

Personally, I would like it if they did packs of cards based on different franchises.

Mario & Friends Pack.
Mario Party Pack
Fire Emblem Pack
The Legend of Zelda Pack
Nintendo Classics Pack Volumes 1, 2, and 3..

Doing stuff like that would be cool, because cards are a bit easier to transport inside of your New 3DS XL case.

What Nintendo SHOULD do is license out the amiibo NFC codes/tech to FUNKO.

Think about it. FUNKO Vinylmation statues that are also amiibos.

Card based amiibos? Boy that sounds familiar...

ereader.jpg

Kick in the nostalgia

TSM

I'd rather have a small stack of cards then dozens of larger figures. Then again, just sell me digital figures/cards for a couple bucks on the eshop. I'm not particularly interested in this physical DLC thing Nintendo seems so keen on.

1. Buy Link amiibo because you're a Zelda fan.
2. Get demo for a Zelda game you've played through 5 times already.

I don't understand the logic.

It's not like this is a negative thing in any way, it's just so redundant.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Maybe they should have shown that before they released all the little toys? Or at least announced it?

Nah, they're fine. They can't keep them on the shelves as is. The game will come later and help keep the figures selling. They sold almost 6 million of these things since the end of November and they have barely any functionality yet.

Terrell

They don't even have that many Virtual Console games up on the Wii U's eShop to begin with.

Oh well. This is a strange thing to announce at their investor meeting.

Not really. Investors have been interested in Amiibo performance considering that it adds substantially to profits, and value-adds like this which make it more enticing to certain people would definitely perk up some ears in the audience.

Amiibos should unlock the entire game.

And you should win things by watching.

Nothing. Nintendo is full of great ideas that they never properly execute. Do you really think a three minute demo of Super fucking Mario Bros. is going to entice consumers to buy more Virtual Console games? I don't want to speak for other people, but man, I'm sick of NES.

Luckily, Super Mario Bros. isn't the only game that could be available, cuz y'know, not every Amiibo is Mario. This gets a lot better mileage from Amiibo like Ike, Ness, Mega Man, Little Mac, Captain Falcon... because despite popularity in Smash Bros, their games/franchises are much more obscure to newer gamers. And what's the harm in giving someone an opportunity to play something they haven't played before?
The Masterpieces selection in Smash is not only incomplete, it's also very lacking in flexibility of what it can offer.

All these little value-add things Nintendo's doing with amiibo makes it seem like it's completely missing the point of why people are buying them. No one gives a shit about the in-game functionality: the people buying these are hardcore Nintendo whales who want the little statue. Adding piecemeal functionality isn't going to get more people in the amiibo grinder. There needs to be a game that requires amiibo to function, DI/Skylanders-style. That widens the reach, not VC demos, AI buddies, or pixel Toads.

They seem to be selling quite alright without the presence of a game and in enough quantities that it can't just be "Nintendo whales" buying them, since everyone keeps telling me their numbers shrink by the second.

how is anyone taking issue with this? it's cool and a good thing that they're giving amiibo's more value through further unlockable options
Oh hey look, an idea that some here won't ever use, but yet they're throwing a hissy fit as if they'll be forced to play these time trials everyday.

People will always a reason to bitch in a Nintendo thread, just ride the wave, guys.

They announced ONE reprint of ONE figure. That's all, no more, no less. What's funny is people thinking this is of course going to extend to all of the other shortages, so hey, problem solved!

What's funnier is that you think they'd act like they all recently got lobotomized and would stop at a single character. Because Nintendo, apparently.
They're making Nintendo money. OF COURSE, they'll reprint the others. The only question is if the reprint quantities will sate demand properly.

The logic is that hardcore Nintendo fans who have played every game in every franchise might not be the only ones who are buying them and this gives those people a value add.

... oops, I keep forgetting, if it doesn't appeal to the hardcore, it doesn't matter. Forget I said anything.

The logic is that hardcore Nintendo fans who have played every game in every franchise might not be the only ones who are buying them and this gives those people a value add.

... oops, I keep forgetting, if it doesn't appeal to the hardcore, it doesn't matter. Forget I said anything.

I think the non-hardcore are even less likely to buy an amiibo from a game they haven't played.

Unless this is for whatever reason not how it works, this is exactly my reaction. I have Shulk, Fire Emblem, and Kirby amiibo as well as those games because I'm a fan, so I'm not sure this will matter for me. Guess it'll be good for those who collect all the amiibo, maybe.

Terrell

I think the non-hardcore are even less likely to buy an amiibo from a game they haven't played.

Hence why Smash Bros, a game that many of them probably HAVE played, got the first round of figures. It touches as many of their franchises at the same time, including ones with smaller exposure that can still have fans regardless of any knowledge of the franchise they originally belong to.

My nieces like to play as Zelda and Villager in Smash. They have never ONCE played a Legend of Zelda or Animal Crossing game. But they recognize Zelda and Villager and would ask for the Amiibo on sight. If my brother activates this feature, that's one more potential fan of either series, if done correctly. And it initially cost them nothing for that to happen.

I've been slowly working towards getting my middle-child niece into playing Zelda games by buying them the Mario Kart DLC for Christmas. Something like this could do a little bit more to getting me there.

Nintendo needs to get its act together and start a subscription-based service for its virtual consoles, like a Netflix-for-gaming kind of thing. This new idea will convert what, maybe 1% of people, to actually buy the full game? Most of the people buying Amiibos have already bought and played the related games when they were on store shelves anyway.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

There are a lot of people who have not played the older games. So maybe it could be, buy Zelda Amiibo, get LttP demo. Great game, tons of people have not played it, younger generation has not been exposed to it, and it held up well over time.

Yeah I know, I am just bring up that making cards is not going to affect other productions (games, hardware, and figures). Nintendo's production lines for those three right now are terrible, but producing cards is not going to slow down any of those three.

I'm not worried it's going to cut into production of the actual toys, I'm worried that they consider cards a good enough replacement for the toys. I'm worried that they're going to release the cards, dust their hands off and say "and that's the end of that" while the toy production and distribution remains staggeringly terrible.

I wonder how much cards will be. They are not cost effective as singles so that brings the point is how many in a pack and will they be dreaded blind packs (I imagine this will be like the Kid Icarus ones where some cards are one per booster box...which was annoying for the lucky people who managed to get whole boxes of 24 packs when Argos were selling them for cheap).

Luckily, Super Mario Bros. isn't the only game that could be available, cuz y'know, not every Amiibo is Mario. This gets a lot better mileage from Amiibo like Ike, Ness, Mega Man, Little Mac, Captain Falcon... because despite popularity in Smash Bros, their games/franchises are much more obscure to newer gamers. And what's the harm in giving someone an opportunity to play something they haven't played before?
Herein lies the problem. If you have a Ness Amiibo a demo of Earthbound is going to be really uninteresting to you because chances are you've already played the game.

That is why I think the trials should work like this. Each Amiibo unlocks 5 games. Characters like Mario will have two spots permanently be Mario games. The demos rotate on a weekly basis. Perhaps in a pattern where having multiple Amiibo give you access to more games.

This avoids problems of "what will Wii fit Trainer do?" or "This Earthbound game demo really stinks".

They need to hurry up with N64 or DS VC as it would be nice for Fox to have a VC game available (I'm not remembering the SSB characters well but it is weird he is the same category as ROB, Rosalina and all the Pokemon etc ...oh plenty of company there :( )

Top Bottom