• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo to unlock Virtual Console timed trials in the near future, Card Amiibos coming

Scum

I wonder if Card Amiibos are Nintendo's solution to meeting the demand for the collection/functionality aspect while trying to address the issues they have with manufacturing a huge range of figures.

I've always wondered how they were going to handle Pokemon Amiibos. Looks like this might be the solution. Maybe Hino dropped the idea of Amiibo Cards on NCL because his crazy grand idea was Yokai Watch Amiibos. :p

NTom64

I feel sorry for the kid who gets a card version of an old Amiibo while all his friends have the statue.

I swear there's a Simpsons gag related to this but for the life of me I can't remember what.

duckroll

I'd rather an Amiibo unlock the game entirely. Then I'd probably buy one. Make them unlock a full VC game with the character, but a random one. Knock the price up a buck or two, if you need to. I'll be there.

I don't think their aim here is to sell subsidized VC games along with Amiibos. The strategy seems to be about giving people who buy Amiibos more things they can do with them, without eating into Nintendo's other margins. So by offering free "best of" selections of games featuring the Amiibo character, they're clearly positioning it as something kids can use the toy to play with, rather than an actual free game offer of value to adults.

Gartooth

I wonder if Card Amiibos are Nintendo's solution to meeting the demand for the collection/functionality aspect while trying to address the issues they have with manufacturing a huge range of figures.

The figures are in such high demand though, why should they abandon producing more? A lot of people collecting Amiibos right now probably care more about the figures than the game functionality, so cards isn't much consolation.

Meia

They're just adding more value to the toys, which is a great thing to everyone involved.

Value for things that aren't even on store shelves, wonderful.

Yeah, also not shocked about Link being the most popular one, since it's the most common one in every single store I've ever been in.

xaszatm

Banned
The figures are in such high demand though, why should they abandon producing more? A lot of people collecting Amiibos right now probably care more about the figures than the game functionality, so cards isn't much consolation.

Well, I believe they were talking about Animal Crossing or other chracter heavy games when discussing card-based Amiibos so in those cases its a matter of too many characters to make figurines for.

Phu

Banned
Card based amiibos? Boy that sounds familiar...

ereader.jpg

Even if amiibo end up providing trials, e-reader cards will still be providing more game content.

Nintendo isn't even on Nintendo's level.

duckroll

They're not abandoning them. What I mean is, as we've seen with the current waves, it is hard for Nintendo to really gauge demand for specific Amiibos in advance, and it can be hard for them to immediately make more to meet demand, or in the case of less popular ones, to keep them in supply forever. There is an inherent cost with manufacturing figurines. Introducing Card Amiibos to the selection would allow them to release more Amiibos and from a wider range of even less popular franchises, without taking on much more risk associated with the production of figures.

Lunar15

So, I'm assuming that the idea behind putting timed VC releases connected to Amiibo, is that they can use them to introduce their IP to people who might be unfamiliar with them, like kids. They realize that their wealth of IPs are probably one of the most valuable assets, and they risk losing them if they can't teach newer generations about the history of them.

This is all fine and dandy, but what's the point of doing that if you're just going to make the supply so drastically low that kids can't get these and it mainly goes to either

A. Long time fans who already know a lot about these games
B. Scalpers (Seriously, it's scalper heaven out there)

This just makes no fucking sense to me.

Furthermore, by making them cards, you lose out on the whole "toy" aspect that makes things like this, skylanders, and Disney Infinity popular in the first place.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Watch as the cards are completely random.

While the demos seems to be more based on Masterpieces from SSB Brawl & Wii U, would be cool if the hub was modeled like the Play-Choice 10.

The question is how would it work for characters like Sonic, Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B, etc. who don't have VC games?

Meia

To me, an "Amiibo" isn't a card though, it's the figure. Do they really expect cards to sell as much as the figures have? I mean, I guess they know they can't be as expensive or whatever(but they cost less to make as well so they may be more profitable) and this is uncharted territory for them, but I'm still concerned that they won't make more of the actual figures that are gone and will instead opt for cards for the "less risk" angle.

I mean, Nintendo still hasn't said they're going back to rerelease the ones already gone yet, right?

Gartooth

They're not abandoning them. What I mean is, as we've seen with the current waves, it is hard for Nintendo to really gauge demand for specific Amiibos in advance, and it can be hard for them to immediately make more to meet demand, or in the case of less popular ones, to keep them in supply forever. There is an inherent cost with manufacturing figurines. Introducing Card Amiibos to the selection would allow them to release more Amiibos and from a wider range of even less popular franchises, without taking on much more risk associated with the production of figures.

Ah OK, I see your point. Basically, if they decided to do something for the next FE it would be smarter to release them all as cards rather than having 30 different Amiibos for a bunch of niche characters.

I don't think their aim here is to sell subsidized VC games along with Amiibos. The strategy seems to be about giving people who buy Amiibos more things they can do with them, without eating into Nintendo's other margins. So by offering free "best of" selections of games featuring the Amiibo character, they're clearly positioning it as something kids can use the toy to play with, rather than an actual free game offer of value to adults.

Yeah, I realize that. And that certainly makes sense from their perspective. I just want those things because I want them. I do recognize that it wouldn't really gel with what Amiibo is for.

I really do think Nintendo needs to put out some sort of Amiibo adventure game, so I think we'll see something like that come E3. Maybe.

TunaLover

This is the tipically patch solution that Nintendo comes every time now. 3DS didn't have second stick, they release that ugly add on.
Gamepad battery life is short, they release an extended battery later. They can't catch up amiibo demand, they release card version.

Why they just don't come with the definitive solution from the start?

It could be genius on Nintendo's part if the Card amiibos also worked as a collectible card game. Maybe not something as complex as Magic, but there are plenty simpler games they could model these as.

Jawmuncher

Oh Man Timed Trials just what I wanted!
Not. Guess it's ok, but not too many people who aren't scaloing are buying unknown figures and not knowing where they're from.

As for cards at least it'll make more worthwhile content (like Steam Fire Embem characters) more easy for everyone to have.

Also cards make way more sense for portability feature. I don't wanna lug around amiibos for stuff.

Popnbake

So, I'm assuming that the idea behind putting timed VC releases connected to Amiibo, is that they can use them to introduce their IP to people who might be unfamiliar with them, like kids. They realize that their wealth of IPs are probably one of the most valuable assets, and they risk losing them if they can't teach newer generations about the history of them.

This is all fine and dandy, but what's the point of doing that if you're just going to make the supply so drastically low that kids can't get these and it mainly goes to either

To me, an "Amiibo" isn't a card though, it's the figure. Do they really expect cards to sell as much as the figures have? I mean, I guess they know they can't be as expensive or whatever(but they cost less to make as well so they may be more profitable) and this is uncharted territory for them, but I'm still concerned that they won't make more of the actual figures that are gone and will instead opt for cards for the "less risk" angle.

I mean, Nintendo still hasn't said they're going back to rerelease the ones already gone yet, right?

Figures are one thing but getting kids hooked on card collecting is something else.

As long as they can get the supply right (which shouldn't be that difficult) than these should be more successful than the figures depending on how they are released.

Gartooth

I wish Nintendo would create an Amiibo app just so that people can keep track of the functionality all of these different characters have. (Ex: Scan Pit and get a list of all the games he works with.)

18-Volt

Instead of card amiibos, they should find a better manufacturer for the figure amiibos. Clearly, whoever they have hired for the job isn't enough.

alvis.exe

All I can think of is

I hope they make those Amiibo cards all holographic and shiny like full art Pokemon cards.

On second thought maybe they shouldn't.

Furthermore, by making them cards, you lose out on the whole "toy" aspect that makes things like this, skylanders, and Disney Infinity popular in the first place.
Because everyone knows Kids hate trading cards, right?

Phu

Banned
It could be genius on Nintendo's part if the Card amiibos also worked as a collectible card game. Maybe not something as complex as Magic, but there are plenty simpler games they could model these as.

I'd be cool if you could scan the cards into the gamepad to build a virtual deck and play online.

But who am I kidding, Nintendo isn't nearly that savvy.

Awesome 3 of my four mains (Ike, Captain Falcon and Marth) are the highest in their respected regions. Hope we get nice figure restocks and not just the cards =/

All these little value-add things Nintendo's doing with amiibo makes it seem like it's completely missing the point of why people are buying them. No one gives a shit about the in-game functionality: the people buying these are hardcore Nintendo whales who want the little statue. Adding piecemeal functionality isn't going to get more people in the amiibo grinder. There needs to be a game that requires amiibo to function, DI/Skylanders-style. That widens the reach, not VC demos, AI buddies, or pixel Toads.

anaron

how is anyone taking issue with this? it's cool and a good thing that they're giving amiibo's more value through further unlockable options

Sterok

I mean, this is kind of lame to us, but it's a nice bonus for the kids. Seems harmless enough for now.

Not seeing the cards as a solution to the shortages though. Almost everything else Nintendo has been making as of late has had major stock problems. Why would these cards be any different?

I'd be cool if you could scan the cards into the gamepad to build a virtual deck and play online.

But who am I kidding, Nintendo isn't nearly that savvy.

It'd be awesome to have a Nintendo amiibo trading card game. Though let's not pretend kids would only buy cards for a game. I know I'm not the only one who collected a shit ton of pokemon cards as a kid without ever once actually playing the actual card game with them, or even knowing the rules

rjinaz

It'd be awesome to have a Nintendo amiibo trading card game. Though let's not pretend kids would only buy cards for a game. I know I'm not the only one who collected a shit ton of pokemon cards as a kid without ever once actually playing the actual card game with them, or even knowing the rules

I totally did that.

Just give me a Xenoblade set and I'll throw you my money Nintendo.

webkatt

Sell Ambiios for $5 without the NFC chip. I'll buy them all!

And make a affordable card set with nfc chips I can use instead.

I mean, this is kind of lame to us, but it's a nice bonus for the kids. Seems harmless enough for now.

Not seeing the cards as a solution to the shortages though. Almost everything else Nintendo has been making as of late has had major stock problems. Why would these cards be any different?

Cards are small, cheap, and can be sold in packs and not just individually. Shelf space is one of the big limiting factors for stores that stock amiibos, and a pack of cards takes way less space then either a game box or an amiibo. Add to this the lower cost of entry, especially compared to a full game, and retailers take much, much lower risk for stocking them opposed to a game. Plus, unlike games, cards are a strictly physical product. With games Nintendo expects most people who want a very specific game, but can't find a reasonably priced physical copy to just go to the eshop (Which benefits them more than you buying retail anyways, especially if the retail copy is used). And for all that people bitch and moan about Nintendo's account system on neogaf, I'm willing to bet most people would just buy digital if that was their only option.

NimbusD

So they come with demos? Uh, okay, that's cool I guess. Hope they can be more creative but at least it shows they've got some kinda gears turning.

how is anyone taking issue with this? it's cool and a good thing that they're giving amiibo's more value through further unlockable options

Did you play SSBB? It had these same demos they're talking about.

It's really nothing more than a footnote that's a 15 minute distraction of something you're familiar with.

All these little value-add things Nintendo's doing with amiibo makes it seem like it's completely missing the point of why people are buying them. No one gives a shit about the in-game functionality: the people buying these are hardcore Nintendo whales who want the little statue. Adding piecemeal functionality isn't going to get more people in the amiibo grinder. There needs to be a game that requires amiibo to function, DI/Skylanders-style. That widens the reach, not VC demos, AI buddies, or pixel Toads.
Maybe they didnt show it yet? goddamn

While I absolutely need Nintendo to make more Amiibo, there at least a dozen already I need Nintendo?, the cards are important too.

Say you want to use all the boards in the Mario Party but don't care about Amiibo or only a select amount of them (I want about half of the available Mario characters). Cards essentially function as DLC unlocks that can be used in multiple games.

This way you can also also unlock Mario Kart costumes or use the Fire Emblem guys for Codename STEAM. I only want one Fire Emblem Amiibo but I can get cards to use the rest.

It's a very neat idea, new players will be able to see the origins of their favourite Amiibos for free. How many kids who buy a Link Amiibo have actually played A Link to the Past?

Too bad it's only limited to NES and SNES games.

Card Amiibos if used properly will be huge.

Top Bottom