• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo to unlock Virtual Console timed trials in the near future, Card Amiibos coming

Popnbake

It'd be awesome to have a Nintendo amiibo trading card game. Though let's not pretend kids would only buy cards for a game. I know I'm not the only one who collected a shit ton of pokemon cards as a kid without ever once actually playing the actual card game with them, or even knowing the rules

Don't know if they'll go that far for the cards.

Pokemon was an absolute monster having its own popular animated series, handheld games in playgrounds, and theatrical films. Nintendo is in a different situation now so that's most likely not going to happen for Amiibo cards.

They just need to at least make them appealing (few holographic varieties) and keep them in stock.

Nanashrew

Banned
From Cheesemeister:

Iwata: Tap the Amiibo to select a Virtual Console game from which to play a famous scene. Play time is limited, and not in full, but by...

...tapping the same Amiibo in succession, several different scenes from that software will be changed in. Like changing cartridges...

...tapping Amiibo to quickly change out games has an interesting feeling. #Amiibo #WiiU

Some of you guys are acting printing cards are going to cut into the production of aimibos.
It is just another thing that they can sell that have the same functionality.

Thoraxes

The cards are good for people who just want the functionality, but personally I could care less about them.

I want the figures and could care less about the functionality.

Meia

Some of you guys are acting printing cards are going to cut into the production of aimibos.
It is just another thing that they can sell that have the same functionality.

It's Nintendo. They still haven't come out and said they're producing more Amiibos at all(the ones that are now gone). I'd personally rather not hear about something like cards until they actually open their mouths about this, as I'd hope it's a bigger issue to them. But, it's Nintendo.

It's Nintendo. They still haven't come out and said they're producing more Amiibos at all(the ones that are now gone). I'd personally rather not hear about something like cards until they actually open their mouths about this, as I'd hope it's a bigger issue to them. But, it's Nintendo.
They already said marth will be getting a reprint though

Hazu

1) Scan Mario Amiibo
2) Unlock Super Mario Bros demo with only one live
3) Demo starts here :
6a017742b59543970d017c36a70765970b-600wi

Actually, they said Amiibo that are in demand will be reprinted, and that the limiting factor is their production capability. And while I'm sure they're trying to expand that at this point, it takes a lot of time to do so, especially since production is almost certainly handled by a third party, meaning Nintendo can't directly increase the amount of production lots. The issue is that reprinting amiibo takes up a portion of their production that they also need to make new ones

Maybe they should of released an amiibo game when Wii U released? We know what happened they slow.

Putting aside Nintendo's chronic lack of foresight, it's shocking (like actually shocking, not GAF shocking) that Nintendo doesn't understand just how devoted its core fans are. Whales. An ocean jammed full of Moby Dicks. Yes, they will buy officially produced toys of characters no one has ever heard of that do nothing. They will buy all of them. It's like people buying Star Wars figures. Why the hell do I have a Bossk figure? I don't know, but I do. And I'm not alone.

Nintendo's production is pathetic, assuming the worst is understandable.

Production isn't a simple issue, and I can fucking guarantee you Nintendo isn't doing any of that themselves, for pretty much anything. Mass production of products, be they games, hardware, or stuff like amiibos is going to be handled by a third party.

Corgi

Banned
i'd buy amiibos if there was an actual game that utilized them well.

4th time I walked up to an amiibo section in a store and walked away thinking that if I'm gonna buy a happy meal toy for $12, it better do something awesome in a game!

Dreavus

Timed trails suuuuck. The Masterpieces in Smash 4 are fun to play around with for like 15 minutes, once, and then that's it. Sounds like it's going to be more of that.

Regiruler

I can't wait to have a full Amiibo deck of Loki's entire tarot.

Right?

Also: print some more goddamn kid icarus booster packs. It's hard as balls to complete them in NA.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Production isn't a simple issue, and I can fucking guarantee you Nintendo isn't doing any of that themselves, for pretty much anything. Mass production of products, be they games, hardware, or stuff like amiibos is going to be handled by a third party.

That really isn't part of the equation. Production is dependent on Nintendo exchanging funds for production / goods. Often times, Nintendo seems very reluctant to spend money to produce enough things.

Gleethor

The NES trials will probably look just as great as the Smash NES masterpieces and not terrible like the actual paid versions.

The Boat

One of the Amiibos main goals, if not THE main one is to make sure Nintendo characters and IPs stay in people's, namely kids, minds when they go into a store. Adding timed demos not only adds value to the Amiibos, it's a smart way to have these people know about these classic games and encourage them to spend money on the eShop. It's not entirely unlike SSB demos.

I don't see what's the problem with this, it's actually a pretty good idea, it's just not targeted at "us".

Find an NES cart of Ice Climber for $5 shipped. Most of these VC games are a bargain compared to their older versions.

That's a ridiculous argument, and you know it.

Edit: I deleted a much longer reply, thinking, "No one would go for Retro's point", just to see someone agreeing above me. Ugh. Okay, as a "collector," you should know you're not getting a physical cartridge (pretty much anything "collectable"), you're getting the same ROM dump they've probably been reusing since 2002, except with increasingly overbearing "anti-seizure" methods applied. (All VC NES games seem to be dimmed, for example.)

That really isn't part of the equation. Production is dependent on Nintendo exchanging funds for production / goods. Often times, Nintendo seems very reluctant to spend money to produce enough things.

It absolutely is though, because it means in order to change production Nintendo needs to work with an outside force. Especially if they want to increase the number of lots associated. It also means they're limited by the needs of the other company. Not to mention the third party is probably not working exclusively with Nintendo, so short of creating a brand new factory or something (which is a huge expense), any increase in Nintendo lots will by necessity come from a decrease in someone else's lots, and the other company may not be ok with that. I think it's really unfair to just throw all the blame on Nintendo for considering their own financial situation and making decisions based on financial realities. And I don't get this enough. As I said, with games, Nintendo wants people to go digital anyways, and most people, even if they prefer retail, will still go digital if no reasonably priced physical copies are available to them.

I don't get this idea that Nintendo is limiting production to spite their fans. If Nintendo thinks they can sell more and have the ability to produce more, then of course they'll do it. It's just that it's an issue that takes time and money

HUELEN10

One of the Amiibos main goals, if not THE main one is to make sure Nintendo characters and IPs stay in people's, namely kids, minds when they go into a store. Adding timed demos not only adds value to the Amiibos, it's a smart way to have these people know about these classic games and encourage them to spend money on the eShop. It's not entirely unlike SSB demos.

I don't see what's the problem with this, it's actually a pretty good idea, it's just not targeted at "us".

I agree; this is like Super Guide, it can only HELP and it hurts no one, or gets in the way of anything.

Personally, I'd have tied amiibos to franchise-wide discounts.

ex. An amiibo from the Super Mario series nets you 20% discounts on all Mario VC titles, 10% discounts on all Mario retail download titles.

That sort of thing.

But this approach offers a terrible value for the customer.

As if any of their actions so far have inspired confidence in their production capabilities.

Yeah I know, I am just bring up that making cards is not going to affect other productions (games, hardware, and figures). Nintendo's production lines for those three right now are terrible, but producing cards is not going to slow down any of those three.

The figures are in such high demand though, why should they abandon producing more? A lot of people collecting Amiibos right now probably care more about the figures than the game functionality, so cards isn't much consolation.
Honestly the only thing I can imagine is that supply line production is so costly it renders full-scale manufacturing out of reason.

There's no other explanation, except for just wanton negligence.

The market demand is outrageous right now and it's not likely to last. At the end of the day, they are only harming their bottom line.

Meia

Yeah I know, I am just bring up that making cards is not going to affect other productions (games, hardware, and figures). Nintendo's production lines for those three right now are terrible, but producing cards is not going to slow down any of those three.

Unless they decide that releasing easier to find cards is "good enough" when it comes to sold out figures and they wander away to do other things.

"But Meia, you say, there's no way they'd do something that backwards!" But then I reply simply with, "Nintendo." :p

This again is one of those things that shouldn't be a question. If you're going to be reproducing more amiibos that are currently impossible to find, you gain absolutely nothing by withholding that information, so why are they? But then again, they decided to reveal the idea of Marth getting reprinted as an afterthought in a sentence(blink and you miss it kind of thing). Why isn't that a bigger deal? NINTENDO.

TunaLover

I have this unsettling feeling that cards are Nintendo's way to appease figurines shortages, probably they won't increase the amiibo production, so they can relay on cards without leaving the user without amiibo functionality.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I have this unsettling feeling that cards are Nintendo's way to appease figurines shortages, probably they won't increase the amiibo production, so they can relay on cards without leaving the user without amiibo functionality.

I don't, I feel Nintendo is going to use them in franchises that have large character sets. So you will get things like Pokemon and Animal Crossing Amiibo cards, and can buy booster packs. I could also see them pulling them out for FE:If, since the game will have cards tied to it.

Meia

It's funny how much people bitch about these things without even looking to see if the issue is being addressed

They announced ONE reprint of ONE figure. That's all, no more, no less. What's funny is people thinking this is of course going to extend to all of the other shortages, so hey, problem solved!

Platy

So .... I take that Mario unlocks a demo from a mario game and stuffs like that ...

...what demo Shulk unlocks ?

They announced ONE reprint of ONE figure. That's all, no more, no less. What's funny is people thinking this is of course going to extend to all of the other shortages, so hey, problem solved!

They've said they'll reprint other amiibos if there's enough demand. WHich is obvious, but people like to pretend Nintendo is some mindless beast incapable of logic, when pretty much all their unpopular decisions have at least some reasoning behind them, whether you like it or not

Drago

How can Marth have the highest sell through when it hasn't been available since launch and people couldn't even find it at launch?
It means that Marth sold the most relative to what was shipped. Like, hypothetically lets say they shipped 1000 Marths and they sold 900, and they shipped 10000 Marios and they sold 7500, Marth would have the higher sell through rate since he sold more of his shipment compared to Mario. If that makes sense, I'm bad at explaining these kinda things.

You do understand what sell through means, right?
Yes I do but I can't imagine there was enough manufactured to have reach that status given its limited availability. Not being able to find it even at launch means likely low numbers.
It means that Marth sold the most relative to what was shipped. Like, hypothetically lets say they shipped 1000 Marths and they sold 900, and they shipped 10000 Marios and they sold 7500, Marth would have the higher sell through rate since he sold more of his shipment compared to Mario. If that makes sense, I'm bad at explaining these kinda things.
The OP said sell through and not sell through rate/ratio so I took it as pure numbers.

rjinaz

They've said they'll reprint other amiibos if there's enough demand. WHich is obvious, but people like to pretend Nintendo is some mindless beast incapable of logic, when pretty much all their unpopular decisions have at least some reasoning behind them, whether you like it or not

Actions speak louder than words. I guess we'll have to wait and see if the issues are addressed or not. Look I don't know anything about what's going on at Nintendo or how Nintendo does business. Neither do you unless you work there. What I do know is that the amiibo situation is bad, and hasn't gotten any better it's worse actually with more and more amiibos seemingly only getting one print. They say this will be fixed. We'll see. Not all of us are willing to take Nintendo at their word.

TunaLover

GameCube adapter had/has enough demand too.

Top Bottom