• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15th Anniversary of Gran Turismo Europe: Invite to GT6, [Make A New Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KKRT00

ruttyboy

I wonder what the three questions are going to be for that competition...

1) Was the inclusion of standard cars in GT5 a good thing?

2) Is Nissan the world's best car manufacturer?

3) Is GT better than Forza?

No, they dont. You are mistaking post-process used in TVs to post-process implemented in engine.

An image that takes longer to render and display is an image that has a bigger delay in showing a response to input...

Why do you think AA was removed to reduce input lag on PS3 BF3?

RED BULL • IT GETS INTERESTING™

Red Bull has published this article on their main site on May 10th, I can't believe nobody picked it up yet:
Gran Turismo: Red Bull's Greatest Gaming Hits

Last sentence:

Speculate! Pikes Peak? Red Bull Ring? F1 circuits incoming? Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak? Re Bull F1 cars? Red Bull Formula 3 licensed cars? Karts?

Also, UK NeoGaffers older then 18, apply here for a chance to win your trip to Silverstone at Wednesday (Twitter contest ending today):
http://www.redbull.com/uk/en/storie...chance-for-an-amazing-gran-turismo-experience

I like this. 2 more days!

KKRT00

An image that takes longer to render and display is an image that has a bigger delay in showing a response to input...

Why do you think AA was removed to reduce input lag on PS3 BF3?

For the same reason why BF 3 has lod on consoles based on Low settings PC, because they couldnt keep up frame update below 33ms.

As long as You keep Your rendering time below required time You can throw whatever You want into rendering engine. In GT 5 case, we are talking about only about visual feedback, because input feedback is much faster than 60hz.

If You throw away 4x MSAA You will get GPU time to use postAA [or CELL in case of PS3], decrease memory usage per frame and still will get some gpu time left for rendering something additional, thats why most current console games moved to postAA, because its cheaper, so they can spend that gpu time on something different.

For the same reason why BF 3 has lod on consoles based on Low settings PC, because they couldnt keep up frame update below 33ms.

As long as You keep Your rendering time below required time You can throw whatever You want into rendering engine. In GT 5 case, we are talking about only about visual feedback, because input feedback is much faster than 60hz.

If You throw away 4x MSAA You will get GPU time to use postAA [or CELL in case of PS3], decrease memory usage per frame and still will get some gpu time left for rendering something additional, thats why most current console games moved to postAA, because its cheaper, so they can spend that gpu time on something different.

Got that documented somewhere? All I heard/read is that there's a bigger render time using MLAA than 4x MSAA on PS3.

Got that documented somewhere? All I heard/read is that there's a bigger render time using MLAA than 4x MSAA on PS3.

God of War 3 switched from MSAA to MLAA during development (E3 demo was with MSAA) and huge number of recent games whose prequels used MSAA switched to MLAA or similar kinds of AA. The main reason is that you offload work from RSX to Cell, leading to, in most cases, to a more balanced performance utilization. You can probably look for DF's articles on GoW3, MLAA was thoroughly explained IIRC.

God of War 3 switched from MSAA to MLAA during development (E3 demo was with MSAA) and huge number of recent games whose prequels used MSAA switched to MLAA or similar kinds of AA. The main reason is that you offload work from RSX to Cell, leading to, in most cases, to a more balanced performance utilization. You can probably look for DF's articles on GoW3, MLAA was thoroughly explained IIRC.

I don't see how that touches on render time or input lag. My personal experience for example (but on PC only ofc) is that either FXAA or MLAA causes noticeable mouse lag when MSAA doesn't.

I don't see how that touches on render time or input lag. My personal experience for example (but on PC only ofc) is that either FXAA or MLAA causes noticeable mouse lag when MSAA doesn't.

Input lag happens (in most cases) when a frame takes more than 33.3ms to render (with a 30 FPS target). If you go for MLAA and still hit that timeframe, there won't be any input lag. It doesn't matter what AA method you use. The only developer I heard complaining about using SPUs for rendering purposes (such as MLAA) was Criterion.

Angst

RED BULL • IT GETS INTERESTING™

Red Bull has published this article on their main site on May 10th, I can't believe nobody picked it up yet:
Gran Turismo: Red Bull's Greatest Gaming Hits

Last sentence:

Speculate! Pikes Peak? Red Bull Ring? F1 circuits incoming? Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak? Re Bull F1 cars? Red Bull Formula 3 licensed cars? Karts?

Also, UK NeoGaffers older then 18, apply here for a chance to win your trip to Silverstone at Wednesday (Twitter contest ending today):
http://www.redbull.com/uk/en/storie...chance-for-an-amazing-gran-turismo-experience

I like this. 2 more days!

I like this too. :)

The AA discussion though - feels like I've entered a PC tech demo thread on beyond3d. It's like the ultimate killer of all hype.

The thing about having no Standard cars is good and bad.

Good that all cars will be high quality with cockpit view.

But bad that the number of cars will drop drastically.

I have no problem using standards in GT5, as I either use hood or chase-cam for all cars. So going from 1000+ cars to about 300-ish will be a huge step backwards :/

StuBurns

Banned
The mix of premium and standard cars and tracks really soured me on GT5, I'll be very glad to see fewer cars, and see the consistency in place.

Solal

Asking for more cars in GT sounds like asking for more characters in a movie.

If they are boring and ugly keep them out !

what if they've converted all of the standards to premium... that would certainly not be "disappointing"

As long as they converted ones that actually matter.

All the outdated road cars could be diched and nobody would miss them. But we need the classic and iconic cars to stay.

ruttyboy

Ask yourself "Do we need every single econobox k-car Toyota/Nissan/Daihatsu/Mazda et all graced the wangan-sen with in our racing games?"

No. No we don't.

Yes, because those are the cars that people will lament the loss of... You make it sound like there aren't any cars worth driving in the standard garage.

Edit: There's that word again, 'consistency' I don't understand the fascination with it, especially as regards the actual important part of the game, they all drive consistently great, 30 polys or 3,000,000.

Dibbz

As long as they converted ones that actually matter.

All the outdated road cars could be diched and nobody would miss them. But we need the classic and iconic cars to stay.

I love some of the outdated road cars. :( I don't want just iconic cars, I want everyday cars as well. That is part of the fun for me. Racing cars I see out on the streets.

I really doubt they converted all those cars.

It's a long shot, but who knows... If the game has around 500 cars (all premium) that will be plenty.

I agree with the above posts that PD can edit out the econoboxes and 50 version of every Nissan vehicle produced in the 90's

amar212

There is no *conversion* process from Standard to Premium, only painstaking modelling of every vehicle from a scratch.

Standard models are Standard models, PD does not use anything from them when building Premium vehicles.

*Conversion* is some crazy idea from someone over the GTP forums that became a trope while there is no real substance to it.

Nothing gets *converted*, everything has to be build from the very foundation. Every duplicate Standard/Premium model from GT5 are two different cars, made in different standards and with vast difference in various *possibilities* within game.

I love some of the outdated road cars. :( I don't want just iconic cars, I want everyday cars as well. That is part of the fun for me. Racing cars I see out on the streets.

But they can be replaced by more modern road cars.

I don't want to spend 90% of GT6 racing in 90's and early 00's cars again. GT NEEDS more modern cars.

velociraptor

I dont get why would anyone be happy about less cars?
Because I don't want my game to be plagued with low quality half-assed assets.

Perfection > A shit load of quantity.

Furthermore, the car list is the same old car list we've had for the past decade. It's getting quite tiresome.

GT6 needs a hell of a lot more unique cars instead of variations of the same thing.

Loudninja

There is no *conversion* process from Standard to Premium, only painstaking modelling of every vehicle from a scratch.

Standard models are Standard models, PD does not use anything from them when building Premium vehicles.

*Conversion* is some crazy idea from someone over the GTP forums that became a trope while there is no real substance to it.

Nothing gets *converted*, everything has to be build from the very foundation. Every duplicate Standard/Premium model from GT5 are two different cars, made in different standards and with vast difference in various *possibilities* within game.
Thanks for explaining :)

amar212

I don't want to spend 90% of GT6 racing in 90's and early 00's cars again. GT NEEDS more modern cars.

I do not agree nor will ever agree.

Variety is what counts. I would always welcome older vehicles then new ones.

New cars are boring as hell and every damn game have them.

velociraptor

I do not agree nor will ever agree.

Variety is what counts. I would always welcome older vehicles then new ones.

New cars are boring as hell and every damn game have them.
A mixture of unique cars is fantastic, irrespective of time period. But only as long as they up to standard.

Dibbz

Modern cars are fun but you cannot beat racing old as fuck cars that were not designed to be thrown around a corner

5330895121_0ea2e9efa9_z.jpg

To be fair. When I say "Converted" I don't actually mean that they turn the model into a premium. It's pretty obvious that they have to be completely re-built :p

The word conversion is used to point out that the car will go from Stardard to Premium (Not the same assets)

ruttyboy

Because I don't want my game to be plagued with low quality half-assed assets.

Perfection > A shit load of quantity.

Furthermore, the car list is the same old car list we've had for the past decade. It's getting quite tiresome.

GT6 needs a hell of a lot more unique cars instead of variations of the same thing.

Ignoring the fact that the reason we have a hundred Skylines is that they are all unique variants, I can't believe anyone would complain about GT not having enough unique cars, the variety is absolutely astounding, I still find cars I don't remember ever seeing before in my garage.

Other car games focus on popular (boring) modern cars for 90% of their line up, GT doesn't and that's one of the things that makes it unique. I don't want GT to turn into another game about supercars...

jaypah

I like those old stupid standard cars. A lot of times that's why I plug the wheel in and boot the game up. Fast iconic mega-cars are awesome, don't get me wrong, but I have a ton of fun in standards.

Also, to add to my hype I finally purchased the 2 track DLCs. I had never got around to it because honestly the regular game had a shit-ton of content.

Modern cars are fun but you cannot beat racing old as fuck cars that were not designed to be thrown around a corner

5330895121_0ea2e9efa9_z.jpg

Yeah, this is what I meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom