• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15th Anniversary of Gran Turismo Europe: Invite to GT6, [Make A New Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long we get small beater cars as premiums too, I will be happy. Take them on El Capitan for a rollercoaster ride and never let the foot off the throttle.

tranciful

Modern cars are fun but you cannot beat racing old as fuck cars that were not designed to be thrown around a corner

5330895121_0ea2e9efa9_z.jpg

This is why I find it hard to get excited about PC sims. PC sims seem to focus on only a handful of cars. GT has always been so complete in that area.

This shouldn't be an either/or. We should have a massive variery of cars that are all Premiums. This isn't some podunk studio. It would be awful to have varying degrees of car quality again, especially since I drive exclusively from cockpit (why would you ever not?) and the standard cars were terrible for that.

Just because I think standard models were shit and a horrible idea doesn't mean I don't want them in GT games. I want all of those cars in the game but done right. There is no excuse why a studio with the money, talent and experience of PD shouldn't be able to accomplish that. I am tired of people making excuses for them. Other than a dedicated hand job liasion from Sony, I don't know how much more support PD could get. This bad but super hot girl friend isn't gonna change if we keep excusing her shitty behavior.

tranciful

Why is that?
What on earth? Why would you want PS2 cars?

Because racing PS2 cars in GT5 is more fun than removing those cars...

What if they've converted all of the standards to premium... that would certainly not be "disappointing"
Edit: Give me premium Gen 1 RX-7, Ruf BTR, and Merc 190e Evolution II.

Of course if this were fantasy land I'd prefer they magically convert all the cars/tracks they've ever made into beautiful premium content. But the fact is, nobody has the resources to do that (and with many of the standard cars, it's just not worth the effort anyway) -- so instead of cutting content, I'd rather they leave it in. We'll get more premium content regardless. They have all these extra cars laying around and you people ask them to throw it out -- I'd rather keep them as extras.

tranciful

This shouldn't be an either/or. We should have a massive variery of cars that are all Premiums. This isn't some podunk studio. It would be awful to have varying degrees of car quality again, especially since I drive exclusively from cockpit (why would you ever not?) and the standard cars were terrible for that.

Just because I think standard models were shit and a horrible idea doesn't mean I don't want them in GT games. I want all of those cars in the game but done right. There is no excuse why a studio with the money, talent and experience of PD shouldn't be able to accomplish that. I am tired of people making excuses for them. Other than a dedicated hand job liasion from Sony, I don't know how much more support PD could get. This bad but super hot girl friend isn't gonna change if we keep excusing her shitty behavior.

You truly underestimate the time required to make these cars so accurate and still be efficient models that run and look good in a real-time engine.

Of course if this were fantasy land I'd prefer they magically convert all the cars/tracks they've ever made into beautiful premium content. But the fact is, nobody has the resources to do that (and with many of the standard cars, it's just not worth the effort anyway) -- so instead of cutting content, I'd rather they leave it in. We'll get more premium content regardless. They have all these extra cars laying around and you people ask them to throw it out -- I'd rather keep them as extras.

They just need to make the standards available via a cheat code. That way they can release the game with ALL PREMIUMS, and ALSO satisfy our interest in random standard cars. That would be a cool retro gaming way to keep them as an 'Extra'."

velociraptor

Ignoring the fact that the reason we have a hundred Skylines is that they are all unique variants, I can't believe anyone would complain about GT not having enough unique cars, the variety is absolutely astounding, I still find cars I don't remember ever seeing before in my garage.

Other car games focus on popular (boring) modern cars for 90% of their line up, GT doesn't and that's one of the things that makes it unique. I don't want GT to turn into another game about supercars...
Yes. To have supercars only would be boring. A great mixture of cars would be ideal. I enjoy using low-spec cars in Gran Turismo - after all, it isn't all about 600hp racing monsters.

Dibbz

Exactly.

GT5 premiums are all cars needed.

All modellers should only work on tracks.

:eek:

Why not both? I want more cars and more tracks.

Seriously though I'd buy GT6 if it there were no new cars or tracks but every track had day/night and weather.

Doing real time, time trials where you start in the morning work on your setup and before you know it, it is edging towards midday, is the stuff of dreams for me. I want the feeling of a real track day.

I find cockpit view incredibly silly when using a wheel. Seeing two steering wheels in front of you makes no sense. It's like those game box arts that have a picture of the box on them lol.

The TV screen is the car window.

Driving a car where you don't see the dashboard in front of you, your side widow, and for some reason have your view several feet forward or higher than a seat position could ever be in a car is far sillier than seeing a wheel on screen and a wheel on your desk. I don't even notice the wheel in cockpit views because I am looking ahead on the road. But having the actual perspective and FOV of where you would sit in a car is way more important for immersion than "two wheels". Driving a car from anywhere other than the driver seat makes no sense. It would be like a FPS where you aim down the side of a gun instead of along the top where the sights are.

tranciful

"And that was one of our biggest challenges," he acknowledges, "time. It's important to understand that one race track takes two years to develop, while each car takes around six months to create."

http://www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/1009_gran_turismo_5/viewall.html#ixzz2TBRBzhsM

Obviously these tracks/cars are developed on a timeline simultaneously (they don't work on them one at a time), but that's still a ton of time to get it right. It's silly to compare it to other games -- other games don't have to be nearly as accurate to real-world locations/objects.

velociraptor

:eek:

Why not both? I want more cars and more tracks.

Seriously though I'd buy GT6 if it there were no new cars or tracks but every track had day/night and weather.

Doing real time, time trials where you start in the morning work on your setup and before you know it, it is edging towards midday, is the stuff of dreams for me. I want the feeling of a real track day.

GT5 has like 20 unique tracks. I want a fuckload of unique levels, all with day/night/weather.

saladine1

If it was up to me, all cars in GT would be pre 1990!
..even that is pushing it.

I don't know, I just love all things old. I love history. I love reliving the days of yore..
I have about 10 cars all from the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Zastrava Koral (Yugo) for the win!

g5Gt83h.jpg

tranciful

They just need to make the standards available via a cheat code. That way they can release the game with ALL PREMIUMS, and ALSO satisfy our interest in random standard cars. That would be a cool retro gaming way to keep them as an 'Extra'."

or free DLC. I'd be fine with that.

You truly underestimate the time required to make these cars so accurate and still be efficient models that run and look good in a real-time engine.

No I don't. You would have to assume the current modelers are the only people on earth who could do that and that by adding more it would some how not scale up the production. If they had a team of 10 for GT 5, make it a team of 20, or 25 if it doesn't scale up exactly. They are the definition of an established, incredibly experienced 2nd party studio. The standard model cars are inexcusable for a studio of their caliber to ever put out again. Just because a bunch of us who love GT games and driving cars found enjoyment out of driving them in GT5 doesn't give them a pass on that blight.

Mascot

"And that was one of our biggest challenges," he acknowledges, "time. It's important to understand that one race track takes two years to develop, while each car takes around six months to create."

http://www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/1009_gran_turismo_5/viewall.html#ixzz2TBRBzhsM

Obviously these tracks/cars are developed on a timeline simultaneously (they don't work on them one at a time), but that's still a ton of time to get it right.

Two (man?) years for each track? I find that fucking hard to believe. Maybe if you factor in laser scanning and photography on real-world circuits, but even then it seems one hell of a long time.

One of these days PD or Turn 10 will be brave enough to include proper, flexible, detailed, intuitive, powerful track creation tools with their game. The community would produce some incredible facsimiles of real-world and historic tracks, and some unbelievably creative fantasy tracks as well. All in weeks, not fucking years.

I dont get why would anyone be happy about less cars?

Because I want the best of everything, best gameplay, best visuals, best online experience. It seems they can't achieve that because they've bitten off more than they can chew. Everything about GT5 bar the actual driving seems half arsed.

Maybe then they could concentrate on making those cars look like something from this generation instead of including 16 Honda NRXs or 22 Mazda MX5s or 43 goddamn Nissan Skylines. I bought a PS3 for the upgrade in visuals and gameplay that console allows, so it's disappointing to see a developer recycling PS2 assets. Especially as they spent so much time on the game and stubbornly refused to outsource.

Dibbz

No I don't. You would have to assume the current modelers are the only people on earth who could do that and that by adding more it would some how not scale up the production. If they had a team of 10 for GT 5, make it a team of 20, or 25 if it doesn't scale up exactly. They are the definition of an established, incredibly experienced 2nd party studio. The standard model cars are inexcusable for a studio of their caliber to ever put out again. Just because a bunch of us who love GT games and driving cars found enjoyment out of driving them in GT5 doesn't give them a pass on that blight.

I'm certain if we were all given the choice of standard or premium we'd all want premium, no question. The problem is the premium cars are all mainly modern or classic iconic cars with a couple of exceptions. Standards are old school GT in the sense that they are mainly everyday road cars. If PD come out with 50-100 new premium road cars from 70's-00's I'd take that.

DieH@rd

Banned

I don't know, I just love all things old. I love history. I love reliving the days of yore..

g5Gt83h.jpg

Tako je!

jaypah

Ha, I could live with that.

I'm certain if we were all given the choice of standard or premium we'd all want premium, no question. The problem is the premium cars are all mainly modern or classic iconic cars with a couple of exceptions. Standards are old school GT in the sense that they are mainly everyday road cars. If PD come out with 50-100 new premium road cars from 70's-00's I'd take that.

It seems to speak of probably the biggest problem with PD through the past decade, a complete detachment from their fan base and the racing sim competition. Why not pull numbers from who used what standard cars in GT5? Bump those to the front of the queue for giving the premium treatment. They became successful because they marched to the beat of their own drum, but that can only take you so far. They need to respond to the community and this new event seems like maybe they are starting to do that. I hope GT6 is more about change than delivering bullet points and making the best game possible. I want GT7 on PS4 to be their best ever game. I want GT6 on PS3 to be a bold move on their part. I want to see them taking risks, overhauling their entire career mode, jumping head first into online racing, etc.

g5Gt83h.jpg

I would pay a high price for Zastava DLC.

ruttyboy

So, does anyone know what those three questions are? I've checked the Red Bull site but can't see anything, can't get access to Twitter here at work though, could someone please check there?

Niks

I agree that the focus should be on building new tracks.
300+ premium cars are enough imo.

That said, I would pay a high price for 2013 DTM cars...
+ we know this baby is coming in premium.. hopefully other classic DTM cars are being upgraded to premium too.

clem84

Gold Member
Any chance that GT6 will go to Vita and the next console GT on PS4? I really liked GT5 but my interest level for another PS3 GT would be around zero. We've seen what they can do on PS3... Time to move on.

malyce

Fuck the cars. Tracks is what we need.

Finally someone gets it. Fuck your 1000+ cars, of which 900+ of them i don't really give a fuck about driving. Give me 100 cars that handle as close as possible to their real life counterparts, 100 perfectly modeled real world tracks with all their respective layouts(Shit do some type of cross licensing deal with iRacing if you fucking have to) and there will be online racing series' of epic proportions. Oh and fix the fucking clutch you assholes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom