• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

16-bit Cityscapes

CHC

0SNATCHER_036.jpg

HELL yes, I was going right for this, beat me to the job!

joedick

This is such a random thread.

Thanks for a great topic, OP! Nice to get a fun alternative to discussions about poor sales numbers.

batbeg

I vaguely recall someone doing a similar thread years ago. It is as then still an awesome thread idea.

Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-2-NES-Gameplay-Screenshot-300x150.gif

TMNT II: The Arcade Game (NES/8-bit)

v1oz

I'm not sure these count as 16-bit, but they look great:

photo2usu2.gif

photo1ms81.png

Does anyone know what games these are from? I got them from GAF and I've tried to search for the original thread on here but haven't been able to track it down. I think it was like forgotten Japanese RPG's or something like that.

that neon look reminds me of Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon

xkramz

It's amazing how some of these city scapes depict NYC lower Manhattan high riseswith the empire state building, but no wtc

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
As a lover of cities, these screens are pure bliss.

I always wondered what was going on with the city of Thor in Tales of Phantasia:

70-205.jpg

You enter from above into what seems to be an long-abandoned ancient ruin, but then from inside you can see what looks like a lively, vibrant city full of life... which you don't actually visit. What was the deal here?

This is an AMAZING idea for a thread! And you posted the exact same city I was gonna post! I have no idea what was up with the whole Abyss of Thor part either, always wondering that!

Also love how much mileage artists got out of that Akira cityscape in the 16-bit era :)

Anyways.

Sly Spy:
ss05.png

D.Lo

Freaking awesome thread.

There's something about early 90s games in particular that clicks with me. I think it's that Japanese games started shifting from primarily western influenced themes (eg Rambo for Contra, Hollywood for Castlevania etc), and started on the '80's anime' look (eg Fist of the North Star). And it was before anime went all loli.

PaineReign

Neo Member
Aladdin SNES has a nice cityscape, I like it mostly because it has a different time period that the city is modeled after gives it a very different feel.

Aladdin_Pic_3.png

Best picture I could find, looks way better in motion (like 7 different layers of paralax).

Starts around the 7 minute mark

Man, I just LOVE cityscapes, especially at night. The most beautiful thing there is. This one isn't the best, but it hasn't been posted yet. It's from Street of Rage 2.

tumblr_m4qwdfIPdX1qd4q8ao1_500.png

cacildo

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who has this fetish

It is strange. I always liked it a lot on the SNes days, but i thought it was a detail only i cared about.

I even played a terrible doom clone in the 90´s just because it was set in a building at night

(what was the name of that terrible game?)

Top Bottom