• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

16-bit Cityscapes

Some more Sega Genesis/Megadrive goodness:

Outrun 2019:
1332056562_outrun-2019-history.png

1332056598_outrun-2019-6.png

OutRun%202019%20%28J%29.png

Pusleman:
PulsemanJf1_002.jpg

Phantom 2040:
36464-phantom-2040-genesis-screenshot-s.gif

36470-phantom-2040-genesis-screenshot-metropia-in-chaos-s.gif

36466-phantom-2040-genesis-screenshot-using-the-induntance-rope-properly.gif

Miguel81

Aladdin SNES
I remember being so impressed with the parallax background of Agrabah
al5.jpg

Rad Racer II(freakin' loved this stage as a kid)
rad_racer2_screen3.jpg

Voliko

Shin Megami Tensei II - Super Famicom
112496-shin-megami-tensei-ii-snes-screenshot-at-this-place-you-get.gif

I always thought it was a little strange since the game is set in a post-apocalyptic world.

If NES supported a higher resolution, I think it might be possible. Isn't the "BIT" part about how many colors are being used in this case?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. NES games are too pixelated to support these kinds of graphics.

Although, just imagine if the graphics processors of today were available 30 years ago. You probably would have seen these kinds of things in an NES.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. NES games are too pixelated to support these kinds of graphics.

Right, these scenes are 640x480, while the NES's standard resolution is 256x240, so quite a difference (5 times the number of pixels). The NES's limited 54-color palette probably would also pose problems when trying to render these kind of scenes, even at lower resolution.

Fularu

Banned
Um, are you telling me that these are possible on an NES?

8 bit colors means 2^8 = 256 colors displayed on screen. The NES can't ever hope to achieve such a result. (and I doubt the trick used here would even be possible on it).

For reference, the NES color palette only contains 54 useable colors.

Yamauchi

Banned
OH MY GOD

This is so good it should be its own thread.
I kinda figured there was already a thread dedicated to it, which is why I dropped it in here. I knew people who appreciated retro art would love his stuff.

Thanks HellBlazer for pointing people to http://www.effectgames.com/demos/canvascycle/ -- That's what introduced me to his work.

Yeah, Mark Ferrari's stuff is in games. And, as already mentioned, most of the games are shite. Had he worked on some badass RPGs or point-and-click adventures, they would have no doubt been some of the most beautiful 8/16-bit games ever created.

It's a modern game, and I'm not sure if this artwork was going to be featured in the game itself, but Blood Alloy's website banner had a cool example of this. Here's a (sadly tiny) look at it:

bloodalloy.jpg

I don't know what the game's status is since the Kickstarter failed, but it looked interesting.

ScHlAuChi

Nice thread, here are my contributions, that i just ripped:

Metal Masters (Amiga - double the original size and looped)

Warau Salesman (Mega CD)

AmyS

Does neo geo count as 16 bit?
1041029-lr1.jpg

Of course it does.

Neo-Geo is absolutely 16-Bit.

Just because Neo-Geo had games that far surpassed the 16-Bit home consoles, does not mean Neo Geo was anything more than a 16-bit system. The CPU configuration was the same as the Megadrive / Genesis, a 68000 and Z80, but clocked faster. The real difference was because of Neo Geo's array of powerful custom chips for graphics & audio, just like most 16-bit arcade platforms of day.

BTW, Last Resort was awesome, one of my favorite shmups for the system. It gets overlooked a lot because of Pulstar.

Would honestly pay money to have these large enough, and to still look good, inside some kind of high quality digital photo frame that I could hang on a wall. I can't imagine seeing some of these on a Sony BVM monitor in person.

Top Bottom