• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

16-bit Cityscapes

Would honestly pay money to have these large enough, and to still look good, inside some kind of high quality digital photo frame that I could hang on a wall. I can't imagine seeing some of these on a Sony BVM monitor in person.

I can't believe how good some of the shit on his website is.

The mountain dusk one is also amazing. This guy should make a retro game and just put everyone to shame.

sytadel

vendetta_zpsceb42c90.jpg

slapnuts

Edited

Love the animated GIF's ..always have, always will..i guess it just brings back good old gaming memories of the 80's and 90's.

I guess i am just sooooo grateful to have grown up as a kid in the 80's!! I cherish that early gaming era so much!! Tech toys, gaming, computers, movies, music,etc of the 80's ..simply priceless!

Biker19

Banned
Of course it does.

Neo-Geo is absolutely 16-Bit.

Just because Neo-Geo had games that far surpassed the 16-Bit home consoles, does not mean Neo Geo was anything more than a 16-bit system. The CPU configuration was the same as the Megadrive / Genesis, a 68000 and Z80, but clocked faster. The real difference was because of Neo Geo's array of powerful custom chips for graphics & audio, just like most 16-bit arcade platforms of day.

The Neo Geo was technically a 16-bit system. It just cheated and also had another 8-bit processer.

So did Genesis.

Both used the 8-Bit Z-80 as the sound CPU. So did other 16-bit arcade platforms.

Definitely agree. Also, the Neo-Geo AES was the only console that could perfectly handle the Arcade versions of SNK's & other companies games (in which they were ran off of Neo-Geo MVS carts) very perfectly down to the last detail back then during the SNES/Genesis era. Some games on the SNES managed to handle certain Arcade versions of games like "TMNT II: Turtles In Time" very perfectly, but still.

It wasn't until the N64/Sega Saturn/Playstation 1 era that consoles were starting to emulate Arcade versions of games very well (though there were still some limitations in that era, such as the Saturn & PS1 versions of games like "Warriors of Fate", & "X-Men Vs. Street Fighter", & the limitations on games like those continued until the Dreamcast/Xbox/Gamecube/Playstation 2 era came abound).

Today, we got the Wii U, Xbox One, & Playstation 4 that could easily handle every single arcade version of a game in the book perfectly without limitations at all. :)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
SNK loves them for their backgrounds

AoF, KoF and FF sounds more street fighting than Street Fighter lol

Knew this thread would be epic if the OP started things off right with Streets of Rage.

The OP and the first page didn't disappoint!

DAT elevated rail background!

Subaru

I always loved Marvel Super Heroes stages, specially Psylocke and Spiderman's ones.
But I can't find a decent image, sry

AmyS

Definitely agree. Also, the Neo-Geo was the only console that could perfectly handle the Arcade versions of SNK's & other companies games (in which they were ran off of Neo-Geo MVS carts) very perfectly down to the last detail back then during the SNES/Genesis era. :)

Yep. Same hardware, same software between the MVS arcade and AES console.

Kof96womenbg.gif

KOF 96 had some amazing BGs too.

And found Rock Howard's stage.
img006.gif

Still amazed that some of these NeoGeo backgrounds look better than early CPS3 stuff. SNK was full of wizards.

I think we all subconsciously admired these from the old days and now that the focus is on them, all that nostalgic love is pouring out :D

It's the same with 80's/early 90's anime for me - the cityscapes are a huge part of why I love them so much. So much attention to detail in what is essentially just a background.

Solune

I always loved Marvel Super Heroes stages, specially Psylocke and Spiderman's ones.
But I can't find a decent image, sry

Couldn't find those two in particular yet but Captain America's is pretty good.

Marvel vs Street Fighter - Manhatten
Marvel vs Capcom - Казахская CCP A.D. 2048 & Onslaught
Megaman Power Battles - Turbo Man
Megaman 2: Power Fighters - Centaur Man

Tizoc

This is SNK, right?

ewwdaf.gif

Pssst
there's someone at the trash bin on the right

You can see Clark and Ralph wayyyy in the background. The position of the cars and characters changed with each round too.

HOLY SHIT I NEVER NOTICED THEM!
Changes in stages was one of SNK's main themes in fighting games where the background changes after each round.

My god, this is just cyberpunk (except for the last one) p*rn.. Thanks for posting this!!!

The 2 gifs from spuitt aren't cyberpunk.
The first city with cars is from 1998, the 2nd image is set in 2006 or 2012 (forgot when Garou took place =V)

What is the person behind the car doing.

There's a trash can next to him so he's just scavening from it.

I already posted a Karnov's Revenge screenshot, but I tried only to extract the cityscape background layer, so here's the result (there's also a brighter, sundown version of the background but didn't rip it):
1nEYDvX.png

BTW, I just remembered Wild Streets from Titus has a nice cityscape on the intro screen (this is from the Amiga version):
wild_streets_02.png

Top Bottom