• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

16 y/o teen shot dead by police in Arkansas while carrying a BB gun

Mahonay

Banned
Change comes from within doesn't it? There's a part of me that figures if enough cops cared enough there'd be change that y'all could force across jurisdiction. Would the person in Jeff Session's position be the one with enough power to force that?

I don't know your area and wouldn't ask you what it is...but when you see places like Minnesota have a rate of arrest 9 times higher for minorities than whites it's hard to take your second paragraph at face value because the the numbers don't favor us almost regardless of where you look.
Well put.

Some of you are just choosing to pretend the current reality is not as depressing and fucked up as it actually is. It's easy to brush it off when it's not happening to you. When you're not the one being treated like an uncontrollable dangerous criminal that must be stopped, simply because you're black. Black = menacing to a significant portion of the nation, especially our police who are supposed to be there to protect them.

I doubt it

there more than happy to let it boil over then question why is it's happening

and lets not pretend the cops aren't itching for escalation
Theyre not interested in a Black Panther revival at all. They can deal with unorganised rioting all night and day, but trained, armed men ready to fight to the death? They dont want that.
Some of the toughest "law and order" types in the country sounded scared and unnerved in the period right after those cop shootings in Dallas and Baton Rouge. The tough talk and posturing went out the window for about two or three weeks and the dialogue switched to de-escalation and talk of mutual respect between cops and the communities they police. I was surprised by how few seemed to notice this abrupt change in tone (it didnt last long), but I vividly remember it. It wasnt so much as what was being said, but who was saying it, because they'd never spoken that way ever before in their public life.

norm9

Hey remember last week when the President of the United States gave the cops the Ok to rough up people?

At least two police officers and two departments have tweeted that that's not what they do. #notallcopsjustmostofem

However, they did forget to criticize their fellow officers who were in attendance and clapping like trained seals.

GKnight

Banned
Yea, it's everyone else. Couldn't possibly be the intent or content of your posts. Don't even attempt to look back and see why everyone thinks you are showing no empathy to the victim and defending cops. Nope nope nope.

Im sorry if that's what it looks like but that isn't what any of this is about and objectively that's fairly clear.

I see the posts and honestly Im afraid about what is going to happen there. The level of resentment being cultivated is going to end in nothing but a continued cycle. It's a fire that has to be stuffed out in my opinion for everyone safety.

And I posted my thoughts on police reform so dont act like I'm saying what the police are doing is fine.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
RIP. 😥

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...hootings-2017/

y76iU2R.png

Interesting site though. Not sure of the data accuracy but the filters are useful.
I know CA is a large state, but I'm disturbed that 96 people have died here.

Enzom21

Im sorry if that's what it looks like but that isn't what any of this is about and objectively that's fairly clear.

I see the posts and honestly Im afraid about what is going to happen there. The level of resentment being cultivated is going to end in nothing but a continued cycle. It's a fire that has to be stuffed out in my opinion for everyone safety.

And I posted my thoughts on police reform so dont act like I'm saying what the police are doing is fine.

Do you think the resentment directed at cops in unearned? Who should snuff out this fire, cops? It's funny how you're more concerned with mean things said about cops on a video game message board than you are actual killing of citizens by cops.

I tell you though, it is always hilarious when someone who has had no experience with dealing with cops in this country chimes in like they're some sort of expert on the matter.

Sunster

Real life doesn't work like that though. Sometimes, you just can't talk someone down. Sometimes you encounter someone off their medication and simply talking to them isn't effective at all. Put a weapon in someones hands that are in that condition, and it's a bad situation. Hopefully it can end well, sometimes it doesn't.

lots of times it doesn't. seems like most of the time.

norm9

Real life doesn't work like that though. Sometimes, you just can't talk someone down. Sometimes you encounter someone off their medication and simply talking to them isn't effective at all. Put a weapon in someones hands that are in that condition, and it's a bad situation. Hopefully it can end well, sometimes it doesn't.

You could be describing cops with this post.

Mahonay

Banned
In a nation that has for-profit prisons, with more inmates that any other country, that jails a shockingly disproportionate amount of young black men and women, it's a pretty ignorant stance of take that the police enforcement system in America isn't heavily skewed against black people in every way. Especially in situations where their lives are in officers hands.

Just...get real. Come on.

The sad thing about Americans is that they don't seem to know about police training in other parts of the world, how they handle violence, or question why existing law gives their law enforcement so much power to operate. The norms established are quite sad. A lot of unnecessary death and stress among the public.

Mahonay

Banned
The sad thing about Americans is that they don't seem to know about police training in other parts of the world, how they handle violence, or question why existing law gives their law enforcement so much power to operate. The norms established are quite sad. A lot of unnecessary death and stress among the public.
Absolutely.

Is it a fair comparison though if you can assume most of the time criminals won't have guns in much of the rest of the world? The places that do have rampant gun ownership seem to also have pretty terrible law enforcement.

I do agree that cops in USA are way to trigger happy and can definitely learn de-escalation techniques from other places and many precincts are doing that, but I don't think comparing say policing in Europe is really that similar to policing here. Policing in places in South America, Russia, Middle East, etc don't strike me as very citizen friendly, just from anecdotes I have heard and seen.

Mahonay

Banned
Is it a fair comparison though if you can assume most of the time criminals won't have guns in much of the rest of the world? The places that do have rampant gun ownership seem to also have pretty terrible law enforcement.

I do agree that cops in USA are way to trigger happy and can definitely learn de-escalation techniques from other places and many precincts are doing that, but I don't think comparing say policing in Europe is really that similar to policing here. Policing in places in South America, Russia, Middle East, etc always seem to be much harsher than USA.
Canada has a very high percentage of gun ownership yet they are able to avoid the epidemic we have.

Lol also it's real fucking sad we have to look at places like Russia and South America until we find countries that are worse than us when it comes to brutal police force.

GKnight

Banned
Do you think the resentment directed at cops in unearned? Who should snuff out this fire, cops? It's funny how you're more concerned with mean things said about cops on a video game message board than you are actual killing of citizens by cops.

I tell you though, it is always hilarious when someone who has had no experience with dealing with cops in this country chimes in like they're some sort of expert on the matter.

Yeah the cops should snuff out the fire by training their people differently.
Im not an expert, just someone who thinks the less people dying the better.

Breeding a culture of mutual hatred is not the way to do so.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Yeah I flat refuse to believe that 13% of the population is commiting 4x the crime as the majority pop.

Why? Obviously poor people will commit more crimes. You are much less likely to commit a crime if you have something to lose. I don't know the context of those 13 %, but that in general a minority is responsible for the majority of crimes is just a fact.

Mahonay

Banned

It starts with the police. Period. It won't change otherwise.

F34R

Change comes from within doesn't it? There's a part of me that figures if enough cops cared enough there'd be change that y'all could force across jurisdiction. Would the person in Jeff Session's position be the one with enough power to force that?

I don't know your area and wouldn't ask you what it is...but when you see places like Minnesota have a rate of arrest 9 times higher for minorities than whites it's hard to take your second paragraph at face value because the the numbers don't favor us almost regardless of where you look.
Yeah, I can't really comment to much on other areas that I don't have the data for. Change comes from within, I can go with that. I think they should start there. Whether it's from the bottom or the top, someone needs to start. What the Feds can do, I dunno. Being able for one part of the Federal Government trying to police 18,000+ police departments is probably not something that can be sustained.

Yeah I flat refuse to believe that 13% of the population is commiting 4x the crime as the majority pop.
Look at the FBI statistics. Take murder.. 13% of the population commits 49.7% of the murders in the United States. The white people, 77%, commit 48% of the murders.

I don't want to get into a big numbers debate, so take my numbers from my jurisdiction as anecdotal and we can leave it there. Look through the FBI numbers and form your own opinions/conclusions based on that.

Mahonay

Banned
Why? Obviously poor people will commit more crimes. You are much less likely to commit a crime if you have something to lose. I don't know the context of those 13 %, but that in general a minority is responsible for the majority of crimes is just a fact.
Hooooooo boy.

Someone copy/paste that massive list of studies that directly refutes this.

COME ON GAF. You should all be smarter than this.

Why do you feel the need to fantasize about what a cop might or might not do? That's just as bad as denying that cops murder people.

Honestly, I've had nightmares about my experiences with police.

It hurts knowing that way too many cops kill people and clearly seem to treat it like a game. They rarely face any punishment because they're automatically the good guys right?

The inherent acceptance that police life are worth more than anyone else's disgusts me. But that's what it is because cops know all they have to say it that they feared for their life or that they thought the victim was reaching for a weapon.

I've personally seen enough of cops killing people who are running away and then plant drugs on them casually while fellow police corroborate the lie that the victim had it coming but only because a bystander filmed what actually happened, the killer cop is punished. But if nothing happened to the cops who supported the lie, what am I supposed to conclude?

That the cops know they can get away with shooting a kid in cosplay running away in the back. And it doesn't matter if they kill a guy with a toy gun in Walmart who was just a black guy with a toy gun in Walmart that some asshole called the cops on for no reason because you know they couldn't take any chances with their own clearly more valuable lives

"Don't you know cops kill more white people?"

People actually say that to defend cops, it trips me out. People really automatically believe the cops are just in most anybody they kill, it's sick.

I get why people worship cops, but I don't. I can't

I don't see how you can make a genuine argument that me being honestly disgusted by police regularly killing with impunity, knowing all they have to say is x, y, z is just as bad as denying the fact cops murder people except that murder means unlawful killing and police don't abide by law the way regular citizens do, so police never murder people, of course

Slayven

"I don't know anything, but I do know them darkies be criming"

Heroman

Banned
Person who knows nothing talk something they no nothing about.

Enzom21

You didn't answer my resentment question. What actions are causing this "mutual hatred"?

Where are you getting these facts and do you live in the US?

Syder

What the fuck, dude?

Not even making any attempt to hide blatant racism?

Not

Banned

Go be a black person in America.

Back? Cool. Now go be a black person in America, and be poor.

All right, now be a poor black person in America, and try to be rich.

This exercise is most effective if you've spent your entire life up until now as a white person.

Tagg9

Hooooooo boy.

Someone copy/paste that massive list of studies that directly refutes this.

COME ON GAF. You should all be smarter than this.

FYI the study that said black offenders committed 52% of all homicides is for the time period between 1980 and 2008. If you want the actual document for this, it's here:
https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htus8008.pdf

However, it's worth pointing out that these numbers may be different now given the following statement that the FBI released in 2013:
In 2013, the FBI has black criminals carrying out 38 per cent of murders, compared to 31.1 per cent for whites. The offender’s race was “unknown” in 29.1 per cent of cases.

These are the only studies that I've seen for this type of information, so I would be interested to see anything that contradicts this data.

Note that for the record I don't believe race has anything to do with it - it's actually based on social class, living in poverty, gang life, etc.

"A minority".

Sure buddy. I know what the real "dark instinct" is here.

Beefy

🤔

American society is pretty comfortable with Black folks being on the receiving end of a police baton (or bullet) upside the head, but when Black folks start talking about giving that same energy back to police, America's inner pacifist comes out. All of the sudden it's "violence isnt the answer." All of the sudden there's a call for mutual respect and understanding.

You love pointing out how "mutual" the hatred is, but are you willing to admit who breeds this hatred and where it starts? Because, and here's a hint, it isn't the civilians.

How about the onus be on the government employed, specially trained, weapons carrying, loved by the president, officers to change things?

Like, seriously? All your doing is saying "don't hate the police". Why the fuck shouldn't I after everything they've done?

Seriously: JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE A POLICE OFFICER DOESNT MEAN I HAVE TO RESPECT YOU.

In fact, The moment you wear the badge I lose some respect for you.

If you're a good police officer you won't care and you'll do your job anyway

Black people arent responsible for the "majority of crimes", you sound like a Stormfront poster. Crime with a disproportionate Black representation is homicide and property theft.
Domestic violence, arson, sex crimes, DUIs, terrorism, vandalism, hate crime, those are overwhelmingly White crimes.

Its not a fact and that is the very same bs talking point that bigots and racists use against immigrants and minorities. Now I am not saying you yourself are a racist because I do not know you but you are using the very same logic and talking points that bigots and racist people do.

theWB27

Maybe I'm missing a joke or something but I don't see what you calling out people for calling out bold-faced racism achieves…?

Legit stunned by some of the comments in this thread.

Mistake on my part for quoting Bronx... but it was one post since ive been in this thread for a couple pages. If you've noticed ive went at a few of those posts that stun you.

My mistake Bronx.

Syder

Mistake on my part for quoting Bronx... but it was one post since ive been in this thread for a couple pages. If you've noticed ive went at a few of those posts that stun you.

My mistake Bronx.
I see that now.

I dipped on this thread when someone compared black kids to rabid dogs so I missed some of your posts. I came back in to another ridiculous racist statement, unfortunately.

It's really sad how the burden of responsibility for this murder shifted to the victim and then minorities in general.

Moff

In many countries, statistically minorities commit more crimes in relation to the majority.
Racists will abuse those statistics, express their toxic views and blame the race, nationality, religion or ethnic background of the criminals.
when in truth those minorities are systematically oppressed and pushed down and kept in poverty. Poverty is the true main reason for those statistics. Poverty turns good people into criminals, especially in a judicial system that does not rely on rehabilitation. I think that is what darkinstinct was trying to say.

Top Bottom