• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

16 y/o teen shot dead by police in Arkansas while carrying a BB gun

If he had a gun pointed at the cops how'd he get shot in the back of the head? Did the cops ninja jump over his head, and then shoot him?

If it looks and smells like bullshit, it's probably bullshit.

It's not like cops couldn't have surrounded him. They should have used a non lethal takedown though. Ranged taser or something.

GKnight

Banned
It's not like cops couldn't have surrounded him. They should have used a non lethal takedown though. Ranged taser or something.

I dont know the availability of such tools, ie tasers, impact launchers, etc among patrol cops.the equipment needs to be made more available.

The problem with a Taser is it will make the suspect convulse and consequently pull the trigger.

At this point I consider Black folks to be morally absolved for any violence they preemptively send towards so called law enforcement officers.

theWB27

Two cops surrounded and they don't get the benefit of doubt that one of them raced to cover every angle of escape when their bullets travel much faster.

Not disturbing at all. A dog doesn't need to be put down. A dog with rabies that is biting people, yeah, please put that dog down.

The police have a history of shooting non-aggressive dogs (many examples can be found here), so racial implications aside, that's a bad analogy for the point you're trying to make.

I think there is a valid point of comparison you could make between black people and dogs in how they're viewed as an immediate danger by the police regardless of the actual threat posed. Many officers are clearly willing to shoot them as a first resort, use the same "feared for my life" excuse to justify their shootings, and largely get off scot-free afterwards, with cities taking on lawsuits instead of enacting reform.

That any segment of our human population is treated so closely to animals (especially when those animals are also treated unjustly) should be a big indicator that our criminal justice system has serious deep-seated problems that need to be addressed fucking yesterday. You should be worried, or angry, or anything other than willing to make excuses for people who have yet to prove that they deserve the benefit of the doubt in cases like this.

GKnight

Banned
At this point I consider Black folks to be morally absolved for any violence they preemptively send towards so called law enforcement officers.

This is a sad statement for society.
72 law enforcement officers have been killed in the line of duty this year, most of whom have probably never shot anybody. (in the united states)
You can add another ten if you count dogs.

This is a sad case and the kid should not have died but the vast majority of police shootings are justified. 0% of killed police officers are justified.

That's what I'm saying. Personally I think they did the same shit they did to Tamir Rice. Rolled up and shot immediately. No warning. Just this time there's no video to catch them lying. Of course that didn't make a difference then either.

Or John Crawford where the police killed the fuck out of him in Wal-Mart. Cops are full of excuses for everything. Nothing but excuses. Society has a problem with black people an thus it never changes.

Not saying I'm approving of that because I'm not but I'd also like to point out the hypocrisy in mainstream America if we did take it there.

Cause some folks did over cattle. Mother fucking cows.

Dawn-America-Armed-Militias_021145990077_0.jpg

cliven-bundy-rancher-nevada139.jpg

the-bundy-ranch-standoff.jpg

Mahonay

Banned
72 law enforcement officers have been killed in the line of duty this year, most of whom have probably never shot anybody. (in the united states)

This is a sad case and the kid should not have died but the vast majority of police shootings are justified. 0% of killed police officers are justified.
And 492 people were killed by police in the first 6 months of 2017. On track for 1000 people killed by police.

Is that an acceptable rate for you?

theWB27

And 492 people were killed by police in the first 6 months of 2017. On track for 1000 people killed by police.

Is that an acceptable rate for you?

I mean holy shit at that comment. They must really believe the badge protects you from consequence.

Beefy

How do you know 0% of police dying weren't justified? Corruption happens

Is this shoot justified? Can't just average it out. You wouldn't do that if it was your child killed like that. No one else would right? Did this kid need to die? Did the authorities do everything in their capabilities to deescalate the situation? And yes that means taking the risk of not going home. If cops are too afraid to do that then they shouldn't be cops. It's not for everyone. Nothing wrong with that.

Go sit behind a desk like me. All those cops with their overwhelming good shoots should be publicly asking questions with us. But dat blue wall. Unless it's a white woman and a black cop. Then under the bus he goes....

Verelios

God.
Damn.

You would rather sympathize with a fucking dog and humanize it before you would a young black kid?

God Damn.

Royce McCutcheon

Count the dogs, count... the... dogs.

If this was satire it would be too on the nose.

Do you morally absolve the guy who shot the black female cop who was sitting in her car a month ago?
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/05/nyregion/nypd-bronx-police-shooting.html

Outrage and anger and calls for legal justice are reasonable in any of these kind of situations, but when people start calling out for revenge killings or saying its justifiable now to murder someone else then crazy people listen and do crazy things.

R0ckman

The police have a history of shooting non-aggressive dogs (many examples can be found here), so racial implications aside, that's a bad analogy for the point you're trying to make.

I think there is a valid point of comparison you could make between black people and dogs in how they're viewed as an immediate danger by the police regardless of the actual threat posed. Many officers are clearly willing to shoot them as a first resort, use the same "feared for my life" excuse to justify their shootings, and largely get off scot-free afterwards, with cities taking on lawsuits instead of enacting reform.

That any segment of our human population is treated so closely to animals (especially when those animals are also treated unjustly) should be a big indicator that our criminal justice system has serious deep-seated problems that need to be addressed fucking yesterday. You should be worried, or angry, or anything other than willing to make excuses for people who have yet to prove that they deserve the benefit of the doubt in cases like this.

Your comment brings up a question.

Is reform more costly than continously dealing with lawsuits? If not its clear that the corruption runs extremely deep, but I think thats obvious since a lot of the time these weasels get caught and the kitchen starts getting too hot, they slither away into some new position where they still have some kind of power over the lives of minorities.

norm9

At least one dog victim was cop on cop. How does that fit into statistics I wonder? Is that a cop victim AND a cop suspect? Or is that kept off the books?

Veezy

que?
I'm White. My mom has straight up told me "at your worst, I would call anybody except the cops first" since I deal with mental illness. My sisters, my dad, and my wife all feel the same.

This terrifies me. Legit. I can't imagine having my problems and being Black.

Do you morally absolve the guy who shot the black female cop who was sitting in her car a month ago?

Outrage and anger and calls for legal justice are reasonable in any of these kind of situations, but when people start calling out for revenge killings or saying its justifiable now to murder someone else then crazy people listen and do crazy things.

Honestly I don't give a fuck what happens to anyone who puts on a badge in the USA.

Derwind

Theirs a difference here though.

Police officers killed on the line of duty signed up and were well aware of the risk(which is commendable). The general public they serve did not sign up for a jittery cop killing them and/or beating them within an inch of their lives, especially a minor with mental health issues.

theWB27

Like putting on a badge?

I still remember the ambush at the BLM parade last year that killed 5 police officers here in Dallas. Maybe police brutality and killings of unarmed black men is bad, but indiscriminate revenge killings of (completely different and unrelated) police officers is also bad?

Maybe if you ignore one has an institution behind it that legitimatize their actions. But yes...in a vacuum it's bad.

Kin5290

I still remember the ambush at the BLM parade last year that killed 5 police officers here in Dallas. Maybe police brutality and killings of unarmed black men is bad, but indiscriminate revenge killings of (completely different and unrelated) police officers is also bad?

rjinaz

It's good to see you can still remember something that happened a year ago.

Of course the killing of cops are bad. Who said otherwise?

GKnight

Banned
God.
Damn.

You would rather sympathize with a fucking dog and humanize it before you would a young black kid?

God Damn.

What a ridiculous statement.
The dogs are listed on the website as KIA's.
Just because you want to start trouble doesn't mean I will bite.
I said in the same post that the shooting was wrong and the kid should not have died.
Give me a break and stop being a boy who cried wolf.

It's good to see you can still remember something that happened a year ago.

Of course the killing of cops are bad. Who said otherwise?

That's like one of the key defense points people make when you want to talk about cops killing innocent black people.

"BUT WHAT ABOUT THE COPS THAT GET KILLED?"

Then make a thread about it? Because in a thread about how a 16 child was shot in the back of the head, the whole "what about police officers who are killed" is some disingenuous shit.

When people kill police officers they're captured (or killed) and go through the justice system. When police officers kill people, they're given high fives, promotions, and are e-fellated by a large portion of America. But please, go on and talk about how terrible the police have it.

People who perform revenge killings should and are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and brought to justice in comparison to officers who commit police brutality and rarely get fired let alone convicted and jailed for criminal acts while the families of the victims go without justice and without their loved one(s). Both are bad and only one manages to escape justice within our society. And there's no 'maybe' about it. Police brutality and killings of unarmed black men is bad and is an expression of white supremacy and black disenfranchisement in modern society.

norm9

Why is that ambush more memorable than all the victims of corrupt cops since then? Or how about the Baltimore cops framing all those people? I think that's even more memorable than the dude who was blown up by a remote robot at the blm parade. The cops used military-like bomb disposal robot on him. If we're talking memorable, how about "rogue" cop in Los Angeles who spilled the beans on his own fellow corrupt cops, and that led the the LAPD wilding out against the citizens of LA while they were on a bounty mission before they smoked him in the mountains.

Fuck the cops. If they ever saved my life, I'd still say fuck the cops.

Beefy

Nothing to do with a black kid getting shot in the back of the head

GKnight

Banned
Then make a thread about it? Because in a thread about how a 16 child was shot in the back of the head, the whole "what about police officers who are killed" is some disingenuous shit.

When people kill police officers they're captured (or killed) and go through the justice system. When police officers kill people, they're given high fives, promotions, and are e-fellated by a large portion of America. But please, go on and talk about how terrible the police have it.

Maybe if you aren't following the flow of conversation. But considering people have been saying it is fine if people are violent to cops, or that cops should let people shoot at them before using their guns you would see there is a purpose to where the conversation has gone.

Or you could just drive-by post.

Maybe if you aren't following the flow of conversation. But considering people have been saying it is fine if people are violent to cops, or that cops should let people shoot at them before using their guns you would see there is a purpose to where the conversation has gone.

So disingenuous, got it.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

MAYBE police brutality and murder is bad?

Get that goddamn reprehensible whataboutism the FUCK out of here.

Beefy

There is nothing drive-by about that post

Verelios

I said in the same post that the shooting was wrong and the kid should not have died.
This is disingenuous at best. You didn't have to mention dogs in your post even offhand, as you know it's irrelevant information. You only added it because you feel their deaths weren't justified, something you apparently can't extend to the majority of police victims.

Then you rationalized the situation with a carrot and stick method, that I'm loathe to deal with you. 'Yes, it was a sad death but most police shootings are absolutely justified. Maybe this was, maybe it wasn't, it was still sad'.

But I'm crying wolf.

theWB27

Give us a break first. You keep rushing to defend the cops who have all the impunity they need to kill without your research into the matter. How bout you research the number of cop killing without conviction rate. Then tell us what that rate is even with evidence that supports one of them should be in prison.

Could you also research the history of minorities and cops and conviction rate for bullshit charges that get people jacked up sentences.

Just because you put in "but the other thing" in your post doesn't mean your angle is somehow justified. You're siding with cops despite the insane coverage on them shooting black folk and them being scared for their lives as a good enough reason to shoot on site.

Kin5290

Somebody in this thread talked favorably about indiscriminate retaliatory violence against police officers. See:
I don't see people here condemning a call for the retaliatory killings of police officers simply for the uniform they wear. I don't think it is too taxing to both condemn police violence against innocent black people AND condemn violence against police officers. That the perpetrators of the latter violence are more likely to face the full weight of the justice system doesn't make that violence any less wrong, nor does it make condoning that violence right in any way.

GKnight

Banned

So disingenuous, got it.

It's like its impossible to feel sorry for the victim and his family and not want agree with thinking people should start being violent to Cops.

Both lines of thought are true. No need to use this young mans tragedy as a jumping off point for revolution.

PopeReal

It's like its impossible to feel sorry for the victim and his family and not want agree with thinking people should start being violent to Cops.

Both lines of thought are true. No need to use this young mans tragedy as a jumping off point for revolution.

Lol no one buying your fake both sides bullshit.

theWB27

Because you don't care to see the reason why one would say that. You'll research to look out for cops...but only take the other side at face value and not look into their plight.

Beefy

A revolution is what is needed tho. Way to many bruvas and sisters get killed by cops and fuck all is done. Something needs to happen.

Merc_

You have no sympathy for the victim in this event so stop acting like you do. You're only real concern is for defending the murderous cops.

norm9

I don't see people here condemning a call for the retaliatory killings of police officers simply for the uniform they wear. I don't think it is too taxing to both condemn police violence against innocent black people AND condemn violence against police officers.

Come on, dude. That's because the topic at hand is a cop shooting a black teenager in the back of the head.

No one's got time to think about bad feelings and words being directed at the poor cops.

GKnight

Banned
Give us a break first. You keep rushing to defend the cops who have all the impunity they need to kill without your research into the matter. How bout you research the number of cop killing without conviction rate. Then tell us what that rate is even with evidence that supports one of them should be in prison.

Could you also research the history of minorities and cops and conviction rate for bullshit charges that get people jacked up sentences.

Just because you put in "but the other thing" in your post doesn't mean your angle is somehow justified. You're siding with cops despite the insane coverage on them shooting black folk and them being scared for their lives as a good enough reason to shoot on site.

I havent defended the cops in this situation at all. Read my posts.
I dont know what happened here. If he pointed the gun at someone it was justified. If not it was not justified. That is the fact of the matter, no matter what anyone says.

If he shot him for no reason he is scum, if he shot him to preserve life he was doing his job. Nobody knows at this point so there is no point in speculating.

In no scenario would I ever side with an unjustified shooter. Or someone who used excessive force. You all seem to want a pariah to jump on, Im just stating objective facts. Calling for violence against innocent officers is wrong, doesn't mean I do not think the act was abhorrent.

Mahonay

Banned

That's rich coming from someone that has shown zero sympathy for the 16 year old victim in this case.

Top Bottom