• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

18 Minutes of New Persona 5 Footage

I hate due to the localising delay we are going to hear about 100% of game months before we can even play it....

Blame Atlus.

Among many other things, I'm glad people are turning on this company for their backwards and ultimately pointless, shooting-selves-in-foot actions.

convo

Atlus: "Make our promotional material easily available to consumers? Why on earth would we do that?!"

All of this is Japan only promo material in their minds right can't have it showing off anywhere but there basically. The thought that foreigners could actually waste their time with media not meant for them is inconceivable. But some trolling on their part must be involved.

All of this is Japan only promo material in their minds right can't have it showing off anywhere but there basically. The thought that foreigners could actually waste their time with media not meant for them is inconceivable. But some trolling on their part must be involved.

The fact that Atlus continues to do this when the world is so easily interconnected, and we are all watching the streams anyway is hilarious. But of course, we need to make everything needlessly hard for those dirty gaijins so they won't bother.

wmlk

Teddie is OK, but when he says sappy emotional shit I just tune off. You're a damn bear from inside a TV.

Aters

Teddie is OK, but when he says sappy emotional shit I just tune off. You're a damn bear from inside a TV.

But that's point. He's a lonely bear stuck in a TV and finally he has someone to talk to.
That's probably why he's so horny too.

convo

The fact that Atlus continues to do this when the world is so easily interconnected, and we are all watching the streams anyway is hilarious. But of course, we need to make everything needlessly hard for those dirty gaijins so they won't bother.

'Why would we want to spoil ourself to things that we'll get months later anyway', they can't imagine why we are wasting our time on this stream.The Marketing for foreigners is for later when it comes out here.The western marketing team is simply an entirely different team that has little connections to the japan one. Not saying it's any good but that's what they think.
It's really the mentality of a small company rather than a square-enix that can afford multi-language dubs.You'd think Atlus is big like that but maybe they're really not.

ckohler

Among the many things that don't make much sense in P4, one thing I never understood is why Teddy
was even a bear to begin with.

I hate due to the localising delay we are going to hear about 100% of game months before we can even play it....

It sucks but probably just control yourself and stay away from discussion threads or anywhere with potential unmarked game spoilers for a few weeks until the heat dies down.

'Why would we want to spoil ourself to things that we'll get months later anyway', they can't imagine why we are wasting our time on this stream.The Marketing for foreigners is for later when it comes out here.The western marketing team is simply an entirely different team that has little connections to the japan one. Not saying it's any good but that's what they think.
It's really the mentality of a small company rather than a square-enix that can afford multi-language dubs.You'd think Atlus is big like that but maybe they're really not.

It doesn't matter if it's Atlus USA or JPN. They have ALL bungled something when it comes to P5. Atlus USA especially has shown that they are completely ill-handled to deal with both the US and Europe like JPN expects them to.

And with SEGA not even giving them any sort of stability on the EU, this joke of a show continues indefinitely.

Setsu00

Among the many things that don't make much sense in P4, one thing I never understood is why Teddy
was even a bear to begin with.

Actually for the same reason why his Persona is a based on a doll: Teddie wants to be loved, and assuming the form of a mascot character is his way to do achieve that. It's also worth noting that once Teddie begins to understand human interactions, he creates a new body for himself that allows him to create more meaningful relationships.
Persona's art makes usually a lot of sense. Soejima is the kind of guy to put a lot of thought into every single one of his designs.

Kthulhu

See the cat is fine, and she'll probably become human at some point (hidden Waifu?).

Just don't let them fill her dialogue with cat puns...

Actually, given P4's tendency to use Japanese honorifics, why didn't they just let Teddy say "kuma" at the end of sentences?

Because Moogles are the worst part of Final Fantasy.

Nachos

I don't envy the person responsible for localizing those crosswords.

Just making new words doesn't seem that hard. There are so many Scrabble and Crossword helper websites that I was able to throw this together in a few minutes:

QeTrgd4.png

Unless, of course, you mean things like an over-reliance on the same two-letter words, and making sure that your average person can figure out the hints without going online. In which case, I totally agree. "Mayaguez" is already pushing it.

Setsu00

Just making new words doesn't seem that hard. There are so many Scrabble and Crossword helper websites that I was able to throw this together in a few minutes:

QeTrgd4.png

Unless, of course, you mean things like an over-reliance on the same two-letter words, and making sure that your average person can figure out the hints without going online. In which case, I totally agree. "Mayaguez" is already pushing it.

Doesn't the original crossword puzzle directly reference in-game objects? I feel like "Blue Mountain" was in one of the previous games as well. That would make it even harder to properly translate them without re-programming them.

QeTrgd4.png

Have to change the letter input too.

And after Persona Q I have every faith in Atlus USA not going overboard with localised puzzle difficulty.
/s

convo

It doesn't matter if it's Atlus USA or JPN. They have ALL bungled something when it comes to P5. Atlus USA especially has shown that they are completely ill-handled to deal with both the US and Europe like JPN expects them to.

And with SEGA not even giving them any sort of stability on the EU, this joke of a show continues indefinitely.

Sega Eu really only does PC stuff, they are actually not equipped to do localizing stuff for japanese games, that is what they are. That they can't expand to do more stuff is a different matter, just finding publishers to do their work for them seems to be enough for Atlus.

RocBase

Maaaaan, never thought I'd say this but Im absolutely LOVING Morgana. HA! Her AOA portrait is straight up boss.

I've been saying this for a while but all that animated text in the UI is going to be a nightmare to localize. It actually makes me worried they won't make the U.S. release date OR they might cut corners and take out all of the slick animation. :/

Naaaah. Im sure they have competent graphic designers there!
Personally I'm jealous of those who get to localize the graphic design into English. The game is so beautiful in JP I would absolutely relish the challenge of getting that same beauty the English version *___*

The game is looking so stylish and the music sounds great. So much going on. Sad all the delays have happened but man, this game looks like it's gonna be worth all the waiting. Trailers confirm I'm gonna really love Yusuke. His angry face is ridic and his ending pose is great.

All this Teddie hate, smh.
lMp1w5N.png
It's unbearable!!!

Squire

Banned
I'm super excited for P5, but is anyone else put off by the UI? It's ridiculously "busy." I feel like I'm getting eyestrain from just a few minutes exposure to the dialogue boxes.

I think it's gorgeous. This is the kind of graphic design work you only get in pretty high tier comics at this point. Atlus USA has their work cut for them.

Nachos

Doesn't the original crossword puzzle directly reference in-game objects? I feel like "Blue Mountain" was in one of the previous games as well. That would make it even harder to properly translate them without re-programming them.

I thought "Blue Mountain" just referred to the type of coffee bean. And now that I'm looking it up, I can't find anything Blue Mountain-related on the MT wiki.

Have to change the letter input too.

And after Persona Q I have every faith in Atlus USA not going overboard with localised puzzle difficulty.
/s

Yeah, but I would hope that if they can change the characters in the crossword itself, that they could change the ones in the palette. I just didn't want to spend too much time on a quick mock-up.

But speaking of Persona Q, I have to wonder how much they actually can reprogram the game. Nich M said that they had to localize the quadrant puzzle without being able to reprogram anything (I think the original puzzle was kanji-based?). Have to wonder what they can do with 5's puzzles.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Man, localisating this game must be hard as fuck.

As someone who worked on localization of Grandia 3 back at Square-Enix many years ago, yeah, localization of an RPG is fucking rough. lol. I enjoyed working at Square for that short time on that project, but yeah, it's crazy how much work you put in making sure that the localization isn't busted.

Ahh, so she is basically Alice from Heaven's Memo Pad. NEAT + hacker + physically underdeveloped. Maybe there's new trope of NEAT girls.

have you ever met Asian women before? They aren't under developed, it's just a physical characteristic. But whatever, I don't want to derail this thread.

DMiz

It's really interesting to think about how much gameplay we have yet to see that Atlus hasn't revealed yet. Even if this was all of the side content that we can expect in terms of activities, the volume feels pretty comparable to other games in the series. From memory, what we've seen so far (spoiler'd for those who don't want to know, but are in this thread for some reason):

Burger store, 7-11/'on-the-go' store, Cafe - food preparation and coffee preparations Cafe that is external to the one that the MC stays in; raises charm?, Crafting, Baseball batting centres, Muay-Thai(?)/martial-arts training sessions, church confessional?

Likely missing several as I'm doing this from memory, but the quantity is pretty impressive. I feel like the team is taking more of a Yakuza approach to its side activities in the sense that there were be several different activities offerings similar bonuses - which I'm all for. It'll reduce the sense of grind that you could sometimes develop while playing Persona 4 and doing the same activities over and over again to grind stats.

Combat looks snappy and fast, which is appreciated given the new, expansive dungeon layouts. Since things seem a bit more complex this time around, the less time you spend out of the map and thinking about where you need to go, the better.
Conversations are also a big plus, here. They look fun and it's great to see this mechanic returning to Persona.

It's definitely nearing the stage where I am choosing to go on media blackout, though. It's going to make the wait more painful... but hopefully FFXV and I am Setsuna will tide us well over to the new year.

Aters

have you ever met Asian women before? They aren't under developed, it's just a physical characteristic. But whatever, I don't want to derail this thread.

Maybe I used the wrong word. She's not under developped, but still she's probably one of the shortest girls in her class, and I say this as an Asian.

Guess Who

Banned
Man, I hope that cat is talking all the time. Every video has it just talking constantly. Biggest turn off for my hype so far.

Most of it's not voiced. Morgana's dialogue seems to replace the narrator dialogue from P3/P4 (the >You went to the theater. or >You decided to hang out with Yosuke. sort of stuff).

Top Bottom