• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Finals |OT| Some dude guarantees they will win it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag

At least one of these claims isn't true. Why bother making stuff up? I love how people love to trash Miami, but making shit up about us won't make where you live suddenly as awesome as where we live. I don't see any Heat fans trashing fans of any other city. Why should we care? As Kanye would say, "Because my life is dope, and I do dope shit." No one's seen anything at Miami sports events that they don't see anywhere else in the country, except a higher concentration of beautiful women. And we're never apologizing for that. PEACE.

Best post on the thread.

I've never seen a fanbase boo their own team in the NBA finals in what they knew could be their last game.

I've never seen a fanbase leave at the end of the 3rd quarter in what they knew could be their last game. Leave a team that gave them four years of playoff runs.

I've never seen Charles Barkley show such open disdain for a fanbase and call them fake fans.

I've never seen fans leave a game and then try to rush back in when they realize how big of a mistake they made.

Those are all exclusive to Miami, among other things. There's always gonna be actual die hard fans but these 4 years have been indefensible and downright shameful displays. The fact that no one on the team called out this bullshit shows that they either don't care about fans and are just there to win rings or they didn't have the guts to do it.

Let's be fair here, NY fans are guilty of doing this shit as well to openly show disapproval of the Knicks, but never during Finals time.

Miami's atmosphere seems very fickle to me, almost like a Gladiator type atmosphere where the fans will either boo and hiss and jeer the players once they screw up, or cheer and support and stay invested when it's a blowout win or a clincher game.

Anyways, Lebron is taking the L and he has 2 rings he brought to that city. Those fans should be more than grateful he gave them some championships.

Edit: Please get rid of Melo and take on that huge contract of his! We don't need it, we need players who aren't defensive liabilities and are not as expensive.

I really am shocked at how well I'm taking this. Lebatard was right- even the losing is "fun" in the sense that I haven't been this invested about any sports team like this in my whole life. It's all fascinating and frustrating and interesting- and so fla hasn't ever had anything quite like this since the 70s.

Love this team. So grateful for the last 4 years.

Best part of being a bandwagon fan. Enjoy it

strobogo

Banned
Man, I've been to Miami more than once. It's super hot and sweaty and you feel like you might get stabbed if you take a wrong street. Sure, you have beautiful women, but so do most beach cities. Miami is 2scary4me. OVER AND OUT. COPY. PEACE.

Squalor

Because Lebron

Wade will get the Kobe "get paid" treatment I can fucking smell it smh
I feel as though Riley has more ice in his veins than Buss and Kupchak and won't acquiesce into giving Wade all the money he wants for what he did and not for what he will do moving forward.
The positive thing about this loss is that it gives them all incentive to take less money and get melo!
The addition of Carmelo Anthony does nothing about the team's awful bench and support cast. Sure, Anthony, LeBron, Bosh, and a broken-down Wade could get them through the wasteland that is the East, but that doesn't get them a championship.

PBY

Banned
Best part of being a bandwagon fan. Enjoy it
Hurrr.

It's actually more of a product of me really learning a lot more about analytics and following a bunch of really smart dudes covering basketball. Pre-lebron my basketball knowledge really was just based on my eye-test and espn.

Now I just feel like there's so much factual and quantifiable data about the sport, it's a somewhat disconnecting experience to view the sport through that lens. It's kind of why the spurs have been so fucking impressive to watch.

DMczaf

Spurs bench: +91

Heat bench: -81

AgedRemorsefulKilldeer.gif

It's kind of why the spurs have been so fucking impressive to watch.

All of that is mainly due in part to Gregg Popovich IMHO.

He built a system so efficient and so taxing on his players that they're always conditioned and always in great shape come playoffs. I believe his system is a better system than Phil Jackson's mainly because Pop's system doesn't require the most talented players, it requires pieces that work in cohesion with one another.

Ring count aside, the European style of basketball built in San Antonio will be there for a while, and I really wish Pop would build something like that in NY.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
All of that is mainly due in part to Gregg Popovich IMHO.

He built a system so efficient and so taxing on his players that they're always conditioned and always in great shape come playoffs. I believe his system is a better system than Phil Jackson's mainly because Pop's system doesn't require the most talented players, it requires pieces that work in cohesion with one another.

Ring count aside, the European style of basketball built in San Antonio will be there for a while, and I really wish Pop would build something like that in NY.

Oh come on. Pop has probably the best PF in the history of the NBA, another HoF in Manu and a top PG in Parker. And yeah, his players are in great shape, but they also play less minutes than other teams studs (which is a nod to both Pop's coaching and the depth of the team). Believe me, I would have very little to argue against someone who wanted to make the case that Pop is one of the best coaches ever - I love him and what he's done in SA the last 15 years.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I think that no matter where LeBron goes in the Eastern Conference, he will always face a better team in the finals that comes out of the West. If LeBron wants to carpool his way to more championships, he needs to look at joining a team in the West.

There is just not enough talent in the East to win.

Melo
LeBron
Bosh
PAU
Wade

Parsons
Ray
Ariza
Cole
then etc

only happens if Wade and Bosh take the vet min :p so in other words lol no chance in hell

Pat the don should just say to Wade and Bosh "you wanna get paid, or you want more rings, its all on you"

boom

Oh come on. Pop has probably the best PF in the history of the NBA, another HoF in Manu and a top PG in Parker. And yeah, his players are in great shape, but they also play less minutes than other teams studs (which is a nod to both Pop's coaching and the depth of the team). Believe me, I would have very little to argue against someone who wanted to make the case that Pop is one of the best coaches ever - I love him and what he's done in SA the last 15 years.

So where's the argument lol

Redd

Scary to think without that Chalmers flagrant elbow on Tony Parker(missed his free throws) and Tim Duncan missing both his the series would've been a sweep. Think about that.

Manu ginobli attributed his better season to losing weight so if wade can do so and work on his long range shots he can definitely bounce back

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
So where's the argument lol

Their physical conditioning in June has nothing to do with playing in a system that is "so efficient and taxing". They play less minutes. Not rocket science. I don't even know what it means to play in a system "so efficient' that it leaves players in great shape come June.

Manu ginobli attributed his better season to losing weight so if wade can do so and work on his long range shots he can definitely bounce back

I'm not convinced Wade is that dedicated to his game. He missed multiple defensive switches all through the playoffs, but especially in the finals.

There's a difference between managing minutes and just taking a bunch of games off.

The point was that they rested him throughout the season just so he would hold up during the playoffs. Instead, when it came to the finals he turned in dud after dud. The guy is 32 and he can't be counted on, his only new development was that shitty floater that was inconsistent at best, he's now a step too slow on defense to keep up with defenders, his ability to drive to the basket is pretty much gone meaning that no one is biting when he tried to drive and dish since they know he doesn't have the spring in his feet to be a legit driving threat.

What he SHOULD do is get thinner, develop a legit midrange game and become a better passer. Fully embrace the beta and develop into an incredibly talented role player who defers to his teammates.

what he will do is whine about how the baskets just didn't go in and not improve a damn thing this offseason because it's not his fault they lost, he's an all star.

Their physical conditioning in June has nothing to do with playing in a system that is "so efficient and taxing". They play less minutes. Not rocket science. I don't even know what it means to play in a system "so efficient' that it leaves players in great shape come June.

Playing less minutes was half the battle. Yes, it allowed TP to play in spurts during the playoffs, but that's only half the battle. D. Wade played the second fewest minutes of his career. You can't say Spolestra didn't give players rest as well.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wadedw01.html

I wish I had some game tape or GIFs that show all of the back screens and double screens and pick and rolls that Pop calls for his team and how they execute plays so well.

Melo
LeBron
Bosh
PAU
Wade

Parsons
Ray
Ariza
Cole
then etc

only happens if Wade and Bosh take the vet min :p so in other words lol no chance in hell

Pat the don should just say to Wade and Bosh "you wanna get paid, or you want more rings, its all on you"

boom

Lol.. they need to make an all star team for Lebron to win again? Ha ha... Talking about stacking a team!

Squalor

Zach Lowe's Finals-wrap-up essay.

Favorite stray observation:
Zach Lowe said:
I don’t know that I’ve ever seen fewer people in a Miami locker room after a playoff game. They are rock stars — constantly swarmed. It’s normally a waste of time to even go in there. There was something incongruous about James Jones changing into a “Heatles” T-shirt in a locker room that felt so somber.

Jeff-DSA

I'm not convinced Wade is that dedicated to his game. He missed multiple defensive switches all through the playoffs, but especially in the finals.

Wade didn't just miss switches, he called for them and then didn't do anything. He would just point, call for a switch, and then just stay where he was.

StMeph

Have to be honest, I've been counting SAS out for the last two seasons when they've been the most successful. I think enough praise has been heaped on Popovich, and it's all warranted, but RC Buford has been just as important in managing the team. Amazing FO all around, and that's something that will persist after Duncan finally retires. Definitely looking forward to another amazing Western Conference playoff bracket next season.

There's no point to criticize James in this loss. He's done just about everything he can do. Is he Jordan? No. But to expect him to do that is to basically shoulder all of the blame on him in the Finals, when he's the only one that showed up. Bosh is misused, and Wade is done. There's no managing his minutes, there's nothing else to do to resuscitate his game. Explosive guards peak and crash earliest. Wade needs to go, but I don't think it will be an easy thing to do, given his history in MIA, and his own pride. Everything in Miami rests on how they handle Wade's contract, and whether he opts in (probably).

Cloudy

Banned
What happened to "making teammates better"? I really don't believe in that bullshit (guys either make shots or they don't) but it's pretty funny to see how the media agenda works. When a guy they don't like gets no support it's because he didn't make anyone better. When it's a guy they like, he didn't have any help.

It's interesting how LeBron suddenly stopped making his teammates better when they ran up against a superior team lol

There's no point to criticize James in this loss. He's done just about everything he can do

Really? Kawhii Leonard have NEVER scored 20+ in 3 straight games till this series. Bron could not stop that guy after the refs stopped doing it for him..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom