• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Microsoft E3 Conference [Over]

What shirt should Phil Spencer wear today?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Betty

Banned
I'm pretty sure most of what you're describing happened at the reveal event and not the E3 conference.

Ah you're right I got them mixed up.

So are we relying on Sony and Nintendo to save E32017?

Mario Odyssey will save E3, and hey Cuphead looked phenomenal.

It wasn't a bad conference, it was snappy with lots of in game footage letting the games speak for themselves.

It's just that the games weren't too hype.

Lichter

It was a good conference if you don't play on Xbox, great multiplatform show, bad in terms of 1st party.

I wish Phil would spend the money they spent on "22 console launch exclusives" on actual MS exclusives...

GHG

So are we relying on Sony and Nintendo to save E32017?

I'm already happy with what a lot of the 3rd parties have shown so far. Biowares new game looks good, Metro looks good. Wolfenstein looks really really good.

But yes, a few megatons wouldn't go amiss :) .

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I haven't had the chance to watch this again but what happened during the Forza 7 live demo when they called people on stage. Was it scripted?

Fitts

In terms of intrigue, best of conference for me is The Last Night and The Artful Escape. Cup Head and Tacoma both showed well, but the former has looked awful outside of trailers and the latter has that Gone Home pedigree. (a game I very much disliked)

Anthem could be a thing. Didn't show the greatest but, as an alienated Destiny player, I'd like to know more.

Best overall goes to Dragonball Fighter Z. Wish I cared for DBZ and/or GG gameplay because that shit is super hype.

Radec

Good thing none of those Xbone exclusives interests me, i can easily justify not buying an XboneX.

Also, looks like too many plant clappers once again in the audience.

le.phat

7/10 conference for me.

I mean, it was a good showing for multiplat games, and if they didn't beat you over the head with the xbox branding, you could easily present this conference as a sizzle reel for other platforms. The 1st party offerings were unremarkable at best.

The biggest problem i have with this conference is that they had the spotlight, but failed to give a compelling reason why the Xbox one X is worth my money. They talked about enhanced modes, ultra 4K, HDR and all that jazz but if you don't / can's show us the difference it makes, then it's really hard to give a shit.

Raide

For Sony fans, the show had nothing to convince them. No exclusives that match Spiderman, God of War etc etc.

For PC fans, the show had nothing to convince them. They already have beast systems that play pretty much all XB1 games better, plus Steam etc etc.

For XB1 fans, it was great to see a renewed commitment to keeping the Xbox ecosystem alive with the BC plans, as well as offering the best place to play 3rd party console titles.

I was bored watching it. I don't like how they must talk during gameplay, just show off the game in silence, talk about it in a post show interview.

seady

For people that do not have an Xbox One, after this conference, I don't think there are still any reason for them to buy one. It's still the same type of games, same type of hardware, same type of marketing.

I miss the Xbox 360 days. That was when Microsoft really tried to appeal to many different people through different genre of innovative IP and games (Dead Rising, Shadow Complex, Crackdown, Blue Dragon etc)

pastrami

Microsoft showed off some pretty cool games. Ashen, Anthem, Metro, Ori, Deep Rock Galactic, and others caught my eye. The problem is that Microsoft gave me no reasons to even contemplate getting an Xbox One.

Apathy

Ah you're right I got them mixed up.

Mario Odyssey will save E3, and hey Cuphead looked phenomenal.

It wasn't a bad conference, it was snappy with lots of in game footage letting the games speak for themselves.

Yeah cuphead looked great, but it's now been two (or three) e3's. The super amazing reaction to it has been taken away and replaced with "wtf I've been waiting forever just give it to me"

Double post my bad.

Except it wasn't.

Massive focus on TV, a Halo tv series that never emerged, Quantum Break having a tv show that turned out to be shit, exclusive ESPN deals, being able to watch tv in screen while playing games as if that's what we want.

Then there was the terrible price point, the attempt to force DRM onto us, the ugly console
, I think they showed off a car with Forza in an equally cringey way and tried desperately to keep the tumor that was Kinect alive.

I love the confidence, but you've totally proven my point.

At MS's 2013 E3 TV was mentioned 3 times in passing (including during Quantum Break talk), for less than 15 seconds total. Halo TV series didn't have a presence at E3 2013. ESPN wasn't mentioned. Console had already been shown. Picture-in-picture wasn't mentioned. DRM wasn't even hinted at during the conference. Kinect and motion controls were collectively only mentioned like 3 times, all of which were in relation to voice commands - less than 30 seconds was spent on it.

The console launch and selling-point was a disaster, and that sentiment definitely seeped into their E3 show. But the show's content was great.

Theorry

Good show overall. Good tempo and alot of games (cant believe i say this, but maybe abit to much indie games) but solid overall.

R&R

I think one of the most disappointing parts was that after they had detailed those juicy specs of the XBX and said "now let's see what this monster can do"...they kept showing game after game that didn't really make much out of those monster specs.

The fact that Metro and Anthem, both multiplatform games, were the only AAA games that looked amazing tells a lot. Ok, Forza was fine but that alone is not enough. Oni (and Cuphead) also looked amazing but again you don't really "win" these conferences with that kind of games, no matter how good they are.

Like many have said, conference really needed a Halo, a Gears, a flashy new MS IP, hell - any new AAA new MS IP, is that really too much to ask?

gamz

Good show overall. Good tempo and alot of games (cant believe i say this, but maybe abit to much indie games) but solid overall.

That's the way I felt. BUT, I wish they slowed down a bit. I would like a Crackdown 3 showcase.

I also wished they showed a long term roadmap of what's being worked on now. Don't care if it's 2 years away.

I would loved to see Halo 5 and Gears 4 running on X 4K. They didn't show off the X enough. I wish the show ran 3 hours. lol

Tomeru

I think a seperate event for the one x wouldve been alot better, like what sony did with the pro. But we probably wouldve gotten an even more boring conference...

Rymuth

the default place? what does that mean? no doubt the best place to play 3rd party will be one x.
The higher base plus the exclusive content will prevent jumping to XBX a sure deal, tho. People want to stick with their friends and don't want to be left out on exclusive content.

OléGunner;240245128 said:
Scorpio is most certainly a fair price for the tech, (consumers are gonna flock to XB1 S tho) but MS should've had a show stopper 1st party to sell the system just that bit more.
Problem with that line of thinking is that Xbox sales have already cratered to pre-Xbox one S sales (meaning: the momentum built by XBS has not been sustained). X was supposed to be that new momentum but it's already suffering a backlash.

yuraya

MS made a big mistake in not showing off some of the far future games they are working on. There is nothing wrong with showing off 2019 and 2020 games when you are asking people to drop 500$ on new hardware. New hardware that is not releasing for another 5 months too. You have to go all out and appeal to all future customers.

All they needed to do was show like a 45 second teaser for Halo 6. Maybe a 30 second teaser for Gears 5. And throw a few more quick teasers for some first party stuff they are cooking up for the future. They have to be working on something. If they aren't working on any new AAA 1st party IP then it is really unfortunate for Xbox fans.

le.phat

The higher base plus the exclusive content will prevent jumping to XBX a sure deal, tho. People want to stick with their friends and don't want to be left out on exclusive content.

Problem with that line of thinking is that Xbox sales have already cratered to pre-Xbox one S sales (meaning: the momentum built by XBS has not been sustained). X was supposed to be that new momentum but it's already suffering a backlash.

No it wasn't. Microsoft made clear from day one that the one X is geared towards the hardcore. They fully expect to sell this to their hardcore clientele first and foremost, so their target audience is limited to 10 million potential users tops. If anything, i have the impression that the one X exists purely to realign the brand with the optics of 'being the most powerful, and shaking the stigma's of poor performance when it comes to third party games.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
In my opinion this conference did nothing to widen the platform outside current XB1 fans, as a current PC and PS4 owner there was nothing to convince me to jump on board, but I guess owning a PC why would I need to.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
i just don't understand what ms are doing with xbox anymore, its pretty much a multiplat box right now which is fine but to compete with ps4 u need exclusives. if u have a gaming pc there is no need to buy xbox, gears/forza and most probably halo are going to release day 1 on both platform

this conference was crap, last 2 years they had much better showings. all i wanted was some halo/gears and they couldnt even give me that.

To compete you most of all have to be cheaper. They now have a technology advantage that makes barely a difference (because checkerboarded 4K and 4K, who cares, 90 % of TVs out there are still 1080p) and makes them $100 to $150 more expensive than a PS4 Pro. They have learned NOTHING from the Xbox One launch. $399 is a sweet spot for consoles. If Pro sells 1:5, One X will sell 1:8 at best. How many consoles did Microsoft sell last year, 7 million? One X won't even a sell a million in a year at this price. If this was their plan all along it was a stupid plan. They should have just went full next gen in 2018.

gamz

To compete you most of all have to be cheaper. They now have a technology advantage that makes barely a difference (because checkerboarded 4K and 4K, who cares, 90 % of TVs out there are still 1080p) and makes them $100 to $150 more expensive than a PS4 Pro. They have learned NOTHING from the Xbox One launch. $399 is a sweet spot for consoles. If Pro sells 1:5, One X will sell 1:8 at best. How many consoles did Microsoft sell last year, 7 million? One X won't even a sell a million in a year at this price. If this was their plan all along it was a stupid plan. They should have just went full next gen in 2018.

It'll do a million before 2018.

borges

Banned

Not necessarily, see Apple or even Microsoft with Surface devices.
Also, I never heard that Microsoft plan was to put X1X as main seller device. All the contrary: They said all this time that they expect S to sell much more. And also: What makes you believe that a 2018 console would be less expensive than a 2017 one?

Duxxy3

I think that now that we've seen all the cards from all the players, that the mass market will gobble up the PS4 slim. And that's without seeing Sony's conference.

bigJP

Gonna preorder the one just to reserve a console but damn was their presentation underwhelming. Made me want to jump to PlayStation and I've been an exclusively Xbox gamer since the start

Lemondish

I wish they'd actually let the games speak for themselves instead of talking over them (or in one case shouting).

eerik9000

This seemed so reactionary to the claims that Microsoft's list of exclusives is short and not very diverse. So they threw together a bunch of smaller/indie titles and put an "EXCLUSIVE" label in front of everything. It was quantity over quality.

God damn the negativity is strong in this thread. Im primarily a ps guy but i didnt think their conference was that bad. I will say tho the only thing that erked me was the fact that they pushed the most powerful console gimmick so hard and they didnt show dick that actually showed its power. The only game that looked like holy shit good was anthem...a 3rd party game and judging by horizion is gonna look just as good on my pro as the x. Now that ive had time to collect my thoughts (and honesty cd3 i feel will look awesome on the s) i think cuphead coming in sep pushed me to just go ahead and get a s intead of the x

pitchfork

Thought it was really good myself. A nice diverse line up of games, all within reach (coming in the next 12 months), Scorpio/X price was expected from the start so no worries there - mind is still blown by how small it is! OG Xbox BC was a nice surprise too

I'm happy enough

madmackem

Underwhelming just down to total lack of big first party second party titles, this was the coming out of the most powerful console ever made yet Phil forgot the big games to take advantage of said most powerful console ever made.

Lom1lo

God damn the negativity is strong in this thread. Im primarily a ps guy but i didnt think their conference was that bad. I will say tho the only thing that erked me was the fact that they pushed the most powerful console gimmick so hard and they didnt show dick that actually showed its power. The only game that looked like holy shit good was anthem...a 3rd party game and judging by horizion is gonna look just as good on my pro as the x. Now that ive had time to collect my thoughts (and honesty cd3 i feel will look awesome on the s) i think cuphead coming in sep pushed me to just go ahead and get a s intead of the x

you can get cuphead on pc if you have one.

Good show, but new first party output is really a problem. Forza 7 and Ori 2 as only new stuff on an e3 ? weak.

State of Decay 2 and Crackdown didnt look good (graphics) and sea of thieves looks like it will never be finished..

The way they dropped the price, without fanfare or a slide, and quickly moved on to another thing kinda shows they don't own it, they're not confident about the price point.

Microsoft knows they had a show that didn't fully justify the expensive box they're putting out. This was the time to come out with the big guns, even if they're two years away, and they had nothing.

Zocano

Yah I'm baffled at people thinking this is somehow on par with the xbone reveal and the tvtvtvtv conference. Like, the fuck is wrong with y'all. First party is lacking a strong system seller, but otherwise it was a goos showing of different games with at least some microsoft exclusive stuff with sea of theives and crackdown.

thenexus6

I thought they did well, just game after game. Some did go on a little too long however.

I think the One X looks sweet, but I am rocking PS4 and PC so I am covered. I think alot of people will overlook the console though because of the price tag which is unfortunate.

Kibbles

Phil Spencer has gotta go. They got the world most powerful console and just slow off indies that look like they can run on 360? What was the point. Anthem is the only one that looked remotely like it took advantage of the hardware. Great job selling a $500 console yet again. Nothing from first parties besides what looked like a massively downgraded Crackdown, SoT which looks terrible and they spent way too long demoing, no Halo??,No Halo 5 4K res update or even a map pack...Anything to celebrate H3 10 year anniversary, Worst since E3 2013 for sure. A bummer year and I don't care for the rest of the conference's besides seeing some 3rd party titles that will come to Xbox from Sony's.
Anthem and DBZ was probably the highlight and I haven't touched any of those games or animes in years. Rest looked like Steam games.

EGM1966

Didn't get to watch all of the conference, however what's everyone's verdict on it? A memorable Microsoft conference? Hits and misses or one to forget?
If you already have XB1 and in the ecosystem it was alright. Lots of games shown coming your way, some big & some small. Scorpio looked like it would make 'em look substantially better. Only real blip was not too many true or large exclusives.

Conversely if you don't have an XB1 and were looking for differentiating reasons to consider getting one it was fairly weak as most everything shown would be available on other platforms (even if only PC) and there weren't really any "big guns" type reveals.

Basically I thought it was designed for those already convinced and ties in with the Scorpio pricing clearly aiming at existing core XB1 gamers as an upgrade audience and didn't really attempt to appeal much beyond those already in their ecosystem.

For people that do not have an Xbox One, after this conference, I don't think there are still any reason for them to buy one. It's still the same type of games, same type of hardware, same type of marketing.

I miss the Xbox 360 days. That was when Microsoft really tried to appeal to many different people through different genre of innovative IP and games (Dead Rising, Shadow Complex, Crackdown, Blue Dragon etc)

I wonder if MS thought "it's" (as in available everywhere else) diverse lineup was enough to silence the critics. They proudly said this was their most diverse conference but what does that matter if 90% you can play on other systems. I think they defo tried to cover up a weak 1st party lineup by just showing as many games as they could fit and trying to deceive by mentioning the word exclusive when they were just timed.

Who did that car reveal target? Certainly not most people that play video games. The overlap of gamers that play games and could afford that car is probably close to 1% if not less.

MTC100

Banned
i just don't understand what ms are doing with xbox anymore, its pretty much a multiplat box right now which is fine but to compete with ps4 u need exclusives. if u have a gaming pc there is no need to buy xbox, gears/forza and most probably halo are going to release day 1 on both platform

this conference was crap, last 2 years they had much better showings. all i wanted was some halo/gears and they couldnt even give me that.

MS doesn't care, they want you to play games if it's on the PC then they're fine with it, they don't even care where you play their IP Minecraft. Xbox was always a very, very small endeavor for them and they don't really seem to care much about how often it sells, as long as it's not completely irrelevant.

MS has also only a very small booth at E³, even though its open to the public too their's isn't any bigger than the ones of third parties. Sony has a space that is about three times as large followed by Nintendo that has at least twice as much space as MS there...

wapplew

I wonder if MS thought "it's" (as in available everywhere else) diverse lineup was enough to silence the critics. They proudly said this was their most diverse conference but what does that matter if 90% you can play on other systems. I think they defo tried to cover up a weak 1st party lineup by just showing as many games as they could fit and trying to deceive by mentioning the word exclusive when they were just timed.

A lineup is a lineup, exclusive or not and it's the most diverse lineup they ever had. Beside, it's a pro consumer move that they do not lock down games for others console forever.

GHG

MS doesn't care, they want you to play games if it's on the PC then they're fine with it, they don't even care where you play their IP Minecraft. Xbox was always a very, very small endeavor for them and they don't really seem to care much about how often it sells, as long as it's not completely irrelevant.

MS has also only a very small booth at E³, even though its open to the public too their's isn't any bigger than the ones of third parties. Sony has a space that is about three times as large followed by Nintendo that has at least twice as much space as MS there...

That is completely untrue. They were really going for it during the first 4 years of the 360 era, then RRoD happened and the rest is history.

MTC100

Banned
That is completely untrue. They were really going for it during the first 4 years of the 360 era, then RRoD happened and the rest is history.

The xbox segment is still very tiny compared to what they make their investors proud and money with. Sure they had a much larger vision but they haven't made it come true in three console generations now and investors are getting restless about it.

Top Bottom