• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Microsoft E3 Conference [Over]

What shirt should Phil Spencer wear today?

Results are only viewable after voting.

watershed

Banned
Didn't get to watch all of the conference, however what's everyone's verdict on it? A memorable Microsoft conference? Hits and misses or one to forget?

I don't think there is a consensus but I thought the first half hour was very rough, but once the trailers got rolling it was good. I think they did about a good a sell on the Xbox One X as they could. I don't like the name or price though.

MikeBison

They really have just set up the pins for Sony to knock down later today with a load of exclusives like GOW and Days gone.

Could even do a price drop to really twist the knife in. I don't think they will though, because there's no need. Bet they had a slide premade for it though.

Sony also have the marketing on the bigger 3rd party games.

Destiny
Cod
Fifa

Another E3 goes by and we're saying "maybe next year is when MS shows some first party games they've been talking about"

Didn't get to watch all of the conference, however what's everyone's verdict on it? A memorable Microsoft conference? Hits and misses or one to forget?

If you're a hardcore Xbox fan and don't own any console/PC outside of it, it would be great conference.
If you're a new to Xbox or own other console/PC, pretty meh (my personal view only)

Sky Chief

Is it just me or was the opening segment of this conference the most game industry bro thing of E3 so far? They talked about a lot of numbers that are only interesting to people who know what they mean, they revealed a luxury car for no reason, and they brought out 2 women to just stand there with controllers in their hands. That whole segment felt like an appeal to the 18-35 male demo with lots of disposable income. I know that sounds weird, but I know people who work in the tech industry like this who love big numbers when it comes to computers and tech, fancy cars, and attractive women.

Like their last few conferences, it feels like the same, PR agency driven event with big "attention grabbing" moments but no real idea of what players actually want to see. Bringing out a car on stage is indicative of that. It's a gladhanding move that makes their partner super happy but serves no real purpose other than for glamour.

As for the Scorpio "MONSTER" talk and all the weird cult like vibe of MS employees wearing shirts that said "I WITNESSED THE MOST POWERFUL CONSOLE," and people spouting off numbers and blowing their load at how small the system is...it just goes back to what I said before about the insular and narrowminded view over at MS. They seemingly haven't read any feedback since the early days of launch and have been hyper-focused on addressing those problems, when most people are simply over that and would much rather see new games, big first party investment, and stuff that makes a serious impact. Maybe I'm wrong and this is their only move considering their first party is in shambles and their second party partnerships have all floundered (Crackdown sounds like a real fuckin disaster), but this show really demonstrated that this gen is truly lost to Sony for them.

I totally agree with all this, everything was just too staged and awkward

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member

I honestly thought it was a really good one. They revealed Scorpio and gave us a taster of what it can do, showed a ton of upcoming games of all genres/shapes/sizes and reconfirmed their commitment to backwards compatibility, with the good news that original Xbox games are coming later this year.

It would seem that Sony still have more first-party stuff, if that matters to you in the least. It doesn't to me. I enjoyed the conference.

It was a really good conference but MS really needs more first party. If they had another first party title or two it would have been a fantastic show.

The second half of 2017 is barren right now.

Broman1978

That Sony got the marketing on Big Third party games etc doesnt mean shit. The Xbox One X IS THE best place to play the games on console. Microsoft had CoD for 2 years (Ghost and AW) and Microsoft had Fifa and Battlefield but nobody talked like this then? Everbody said it didnt matter because PS4 hade the best versions anyway. (Sorry for maybe bad english :p)

Is it just me or was the opening segment of this conference the most game industry bro thing of E3 so far? They talked about a lot of numbers that are only interesting to people who know what they mean, they revealed a luxury car for no reason, and they brought out 2 women to just stand there with controllers in their hands. That whole segment felt like an appeal to the 18-35 male demo with lots of disposable income. I know that sounds weird, but I know people who work in the tech industry like this who love big numbers when it comes to computers and tech, fancy cars, and attractive women.

So much this.

Judging by the way the two women were introduced, I thought they were going to have a head-to-head race or at least actually play Forza 7 - but instead, it was just some demo highlight reel that they "supposedly" played earlier and they just stood there, awkwardly smiling and *beyond* poorly reading their cue-carded lines.

The guy "shoutcasting" was the highlight of cringe-worthy, however.

MikeBison

That Sony got the marketing on Big Third party games etc doesnt mean shit. The Xbox One X IS THE best place to play the games on console. Microsoft had CoD for 2 years (Ghost and AW) and Microsoft had Fifa and Battlefield but nobody talked like this then? Everbody said it didnt matter because PS4 hade the best versions anyway. (Sorry for maybe bad english :p)

But the difference now is that Sony has the marketing deals and the install base. By a huge distance.

PS4 will still be the default place to play the 3rd party games imo

spekkeh

Banned
I think given how Microsoft has practically no first parties and their Scorpio is just a visionless 1up console, they hit it out of the park. Lots of games, slick production, no endless self wank. My expectations were rock bottom and I was very pleasantly surprised.

That said if you expected something from the conference in the first place (why?), ymmv.

I am struggling to understand why Microsoft is even in the console manufacturing business and this conference just made it even more perplexing. Why does the Xbox One X exist? Everything is on PC, the One X is unlikely to make any impact on the market at that price, Microsoft's first party output remains far too small.. What's it all for?
Subscriptions and making the Microsoft brand retain some kind of relevance for the younger generation. That's it basically.

Gradly

Moon Studios is Microsoft's most talented studio by a wide mile. Those fucking guys understand what makes a video game unique and special. Microsoft basically needs a AAA version of Moon, a team that can constantly tinker with great game design like Sony and Nintendo's first parties. But seriously kudos to the devs at Moon.

Moon Studios is an indie studio not owned by Microsoft they only have a deal, it might be something similar to thatgamecompany and Sony. I can't wait to see what they come up with later on other platforms as well

That Sony got the marketing on Big Third party games etc doesnt mean shit. The Xbox One X IS THE best place to play** the games on console. Microsoft had CoD for 2 years (Ghost and AW) and Microsoft had Fifa and Battlefield but nobody talked like this then? Everbody said it didnt matter because PS4 hade the best versions anyway. (Sorry for maybe bad english :p)

** with $499 when casual consumers can buy PS4 or X1 for cheap. But then the base PS4 is the place to play again

jmartoine

Though the conference was a 6/10.

It started off well showing, the new console looks beautiful and I am staggered at how small they have been able to make it. After the reveal it all seemed to go downhill for me.

First party titles were lacking. Something that struck me was when they mentioned XBX has been in development for three years, yet they have hardly any first party titles to show off. I expected a few new announcements but Forza 7, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2 and Cuphead are all well known about. Where were the new titles they have been working on for the last 3 years? Having 3 first party titles to support the launch is not good enough after all this time.

Ori looked excellent. Forza and Cuphead looked good. Sea of Thieves looks like it has some promise and I want to see more but State of Decay 2 and especially Crackdown 3 looked disappointing. I thought Crackdown 3 was supposed to be the big title with XBX but it looked like an uprezzed version of the original. Finally where was Below?!

The lineup of third party games was impressive, however as someone that owns all of the consoles and a PC all it means is I will get them on PC when they launch. Some of them looked stunning but for the most part there was a lack of gameplay shown, nor any release dates given.

Didn't really see enough of Assassin's Creed to judge but it looked more like an evolution of the franchise rather than the revolution I was hoping for.

Anthem looks interesting and should show off the power of the XBX but I would not be surprised if it was delayed to 2019 at least.

OG XB BC is a nice touch but without any more details at this time it seems like a token gesture. Only one title given, no details on how it will work or whether you will be able to purchase digital copies from the store has left me weary.

$499 seems high to me, the Pro is $399 which works out to £350 in the UK, I can see the XBX being £450+ here. At $399 I might have jumped in but now I'll be looked to upgrade my PS4 to a Pro, especially if any price cut is announced at the Sony conference.

My disappointment and frustration with MS has reached breaking point now. I was on team Xbox from 2003, got a 360 at launch but from the beginning of the XB1 reveal I felt like I was being pushed away. All of my friends that had 360s moved over to PS4 as did I and while I did pick up an XB1 for Halo 5, MCC, Rare Replay and Sunset Overdrive, aside from those titles nothing MS has offered me has excited me which is a shame.

Roufianos

It fell well short of what MS needed. They're launching a box with premium hardware yet 60% of what they showed were low budget indie games.

Their 1st party portfolio and 3rd party relations are at an all time low. Still, I might pick up an XOX just for the likes of Battlefront.

JakR

It means MS can not show Xbonx versions of those 3rd party games.
Sony had at the beginning if this gen deals with the new IPs (Watch Dogs, Destiny, Star Wars). This plus a good price/value/power ratio in comparison to Xone plus PR debacle at unveiling, showing around/at E3.

We are now 3,5 years into the gen, hardware is less important, games are the important thing.
It looks like MS just gets what Sony do not want and 1st party is boring and de-exciting at MS Game Studios (imho).

At a time where new hardware is showed and released you need more than what MS showed a few hours ago.

k1t4j

Watching this conference was like watching the PS+ lineup for 2018.

Jokes aside, Sea of Thieves has piked my interest :)

hawk2025

This was, largely, an unfocused disaster.

They had the whole narrative set for a simple, compelling message going in:

We have a powerful new console refresh, a new focus on genuinely new, exclusive content, and a range of new games to show.

Instead, the new console was cut off at the knees by the price, Microsoft tripled-down on timed exclusives, and... Crackdown 3.

What was salvegable from the conference is that the new hardware is still genuinely compelling, and a few of the games shown were impressive.

But I get no sense that the Xbox division understands how to leverage the hardware they've built. I hope third parties pick up the slack.

Before the conference I said I'd be happy as long as Crackdown, SoT and SoD2 had good showings, only SoT delivered. I'll still get the X1X, on the strength that multi-plats and some existing X1 games will get patches, but Microsoft really need to step their game up when it comes to showing off their 1st party games. I'd give it a 6/10.

C4Lukins

So just a limited gauge on interest for certain games for Xbox One based on YouTube views on the XBOX channel shortly after the conference. Keep in mind that some of these trailers have been up for 10 hours while others have only been up for 6, and several trailers from the conference have not been uploaded to the XBOX youtube channel yet.

Xbox Conference: 1.6 million
Xbox One X reveal: 1.05 million
Forza 7: 533k
Minecraft: 300k
Crackdown 3: 296k
Sea of Thieves: 179k
Ori 2: 159k
The Last Night: 135k
State of Decay 2: 125k
Player Unknown Battlegrounds: 105k
Ashen: 77k
Black Desert: 76k
Cup head: 55k
Super Lucky's Tale: 55k
Deep Rock Galactic: 45k
The Darwin Project: 45k
Metro Exodus: 42k
Tacoma: 37k
AC Origins: 36k
The Artful Escape: 34k
Life is Strange: 22k
Dragonball: 14k

And that is all. Several games such as Anthem have not been uploaded to the Xbox channel. Plus some of the big third party games such as Assassins Creed are probably more viewed on other sites. The first party stuff obviously gets more attention on the XBOX channel so take these numbers with a grain of salt.

MikeBison

This was, largely, an unfocused disaster.

We have a powerful new console refresh, a new focus on genuinely new, exclusive content, and a range of new games to show.

Instead, the new console was cut off at the knees by the price, Microsoft tripled-down on timed exclusives, and... Crackdown 3.

What was salvegable from the conference is that the new hardware is still genuinely compelling, and a few of the games shown were impressive.

But I get no sense that the Xbox division understands how to leverage the hardware they've built. I hope third parties pick up the slack.

Succinctly put how I've been feeling about it. Wanted a reason for them to get me to buy one. They failed.

Feel like I'm standing here with the cash in my hand but they blew it.

Dohers.

Solid 7/10 for me.

They showed a lot of games with a decent variety, many of which looked pretty good. It was well paced, which always helps. There were no "Wow" moments and the Xbox One X price was a bit of kicker, but I was never really bored once.

spekkeh

Banned

?????

How did they have this narrative set with practically no first party studios.
I know unrealistic expectations are a part of E3, but yall make no sense.

They did show a range of new games though.

Having slept on the conf I'd now grade them a 6/10.
They showed tons of games but mostly launch exclusives, and the first party stuff seems anemic now.

Also wtf happened to Crackdown 3, it looked kind of downgraded with no destrucibility shown off.

Scorpio is most certainly a fair price for the tech, (consumers are gonna flock to XB1 S tho) but MS should've had a show stopper 1st party to sell the system just that bit more.

An ok conference really, with no real wow moments. Wasn't expecting any tbf. Then again, I don't think MS really mind that with their main focus on ecosystems now.

Noctix

It was a C- for me. It started off very strongly Forza looks beautiful as always & metro was mind blowing but it all went down hill after that. I felt sea of thieves demo was ok. although the gun play looked a bit iffy. Not sure I can't put my finger on it. Shadow of Mordor demo was snoozefest. I am very disappointed with crackdown 3. Would've liked atleast a trailer from Halo6 but I know it is coming. Rest was ok. Hopefully Sony and Nintendo delivers.

jelly

The main problem for me is you can't trust them or even see a change down the road. It's all well and good saying it takes time to make new AAA IP but if they don't have the studios, it's not happening. It wouldn't be hard to say, new studio is making this, thought we would let you know, bit far off but goes to show they are doing something, anything. When they don't do that, it leads me to one conclusion, they are not doing anything.

Even throw us a 343 bone, we heard you feedback on Halo MCC and we are going to bring an update to 4K and rework many aspects or 343 is working on new 3rd person Halo IP, enjoy the tease. Trust is not there, excitement is not there, why should I care. Microsoft have IP sitting there doing nothing, stop waiting for Splinter Cell, make Perfect Dark cyberpunk 3rd person action adventure, Crimson Skies Indiana Jones Action Adventure, come on! Mech Assault! What is the point in Xbox other than being the cool thing to hook users into other Microsoft products, oooooh........Xbox is boring.

I dunno, I'm not nearly down on it as some of y'all. I am disappointed at the lack of first party, but thought there was a broad range of great looking games shown. Looking forward to the X.

black070

Would give it a 5/10 tops - no new exclusives to reveal, a ton of "console launch exclusive" indies to pad out their lineup, they managed to make the exclusives we've already known about look like ass (barring Forza) and they closed the show with a multiplatform release. Ultimately, the 2017 line-up is absolute trash.

borges

Banned
But the difference now is that Sony has the marketing deals and the install base. By a huge distance.

PS4 will still be the default place to play the 3rd party games imo

the default place? what does that mean? no doubt the best place to play 3rd party will be one x.

On par with 2013 in terms of how bad it was.

Why do people reiterate that MS E3 2013 was bad?

I remember Project Spark, Halo (XboxOne), Dead Rising 4, Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall, Crimson Dragon, and Killer Instinct all being announced at the same show, alongside Quantum Break + Forza 5 from launch, and all looking very promising (regardless of how they turned out). It was a pretty stellar lineup. Had MS shirked the kinect, 'Tv, tv, sports', from the reveal, and ended with a $399 pricepoint, the conference would have been up there with Sony 2015, and Nintendo 2014 (?).

Roufianos

I remember Project Spark, Halo (XboxOne), Dead Rising 4, Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall, and Killer Instinct all being announced at the same show, alongside Quantum Break + Forza 5 from launch, and all looking very promising. It was a pretty stellar lineup. Had MS shirked the kinect, 'Tv, tv, sports', from the reveal, and ended with a $399 pricepoint, the conference would have been up there with Sony 2015, and Nintendo 2014 (?).

Yea, the controversy at the time was the always online and used game policies which had been announced before.

The E3 conference itself and the games were pretty great. Much better than what we got yesterday.

JP

I think the main issue with it for me is that it was almost anonymous, apart from the obvious branding and the hardware announcements it could almost have been done by any company. It just lacked personality for and I don't think that the presenters really stand out as people you;d presenting things.

It reminds me a little of EAs shows, they're all a bit cold, hollow and just lacking any feeling.

I like that they attempted to present loads of games, that approach has worked well for Sony but again there was a disconnect from when others have done it. It just didn't feel authentic, for some reason.

They really need to stop all that messing around with the "Exclusive" branding though, that was really poorly done and each time they did it it just dragged the show down a little bit further.

After this show, I'm starting to think of them almost as a tribute band, they may be excellent musicians but you're always aware that there's something not quite right even if you can't quite put your finger on what it is they're getting wrong. It may be worth buying a ticket but you know there's probably a better band playing on the other side of town.

EDIT:
It's only fair that I add that I'm still really impressed with what they're doing in terms of backwards compatibility on the machine, I don't use it but they've really done some amazing stuff with it.

Betty

Banned
the default place? what does that mean? no doubt the best place to play 3rd party will be one x.

Graphically sure, but compare 3rd party support this year alone between the two.

Sony got Persona 5, Yakuza 0, Nier Automata & Gravity Daze 2 as exclusive.

They even brought out a AAA game with Horizon Zero Dawn that looks far more graphically superior than the only other exclusives Microsoft has releasing this year.

Betty

Banned
Double post my bad.

Yea, the controversy at the time was the always online and used game policies which had been announced before.

The E3 conference itself and the games were pretty great. Much better than what we got yesterday.

Except it wasn't.

Massive focus on TV, a Halo tv series that never emerged, Quantum Break having a tv show that turned out to be shit, exclusive ESPN deals, being able to watch tv in screen while playing games as if that's what we want.

Then there was the terrible price point, the attempt to force DRM onto us, the ugly console, I think they showed off a car with Forza in an equally cringey way and tried desperately to keep the tumor that was Kinect alive.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
If you're a hardcore Xbox fan and don't own any console/PC outside of it, it would be great conference.
If you're a new to Xbox or own other console/PC, pretty meh (my personal view only)

I think even hardcore Xbox fans could be disappointed by the lack of exclusive AAA games for the system. There's very little that makes the Xbox One stand out from the rest of the field.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Im gonna get a 1X, as I really enjoy the higher resoutions on PS4 Pro, but I don't think they did a great job of selling it.

I remember Project Spark, Halo (XboxOne), Dead Rising 4, Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall, Crimson Dragon, and Killer Instinct all being announced at the same show, alongside Quantum Break + Forza 5 from launch, and all looking very promising (regardless of how they turned out). It was a pretty stellar lineup. Had MS shirked the kinect, 'Tv, tv, sports', from the reveal, and ended with a $399 pricepoint, the conference would have been up there with Sony 2015, and Nintendo 2014 (?).

And if my aunt had a bollox she'd be my uncle.

Fact is they didn't, and they did a terrible job of explaining/justifying their always online and DRM poilicy.

Roufianos

Double post my bad.

Except it wasn't.

Massive focus on TV, a Halo tv series that never emerged, Quantum Break having a tv show that turned out to be shit, exclusive ESPN deals, being able to watch tv in screen while playing games as if that's what we want.

Then there was the terrible price point, the attempt to force DRM onto us, the ugly console, I think they showed off a car with Forza in an equally cringey way and tried desperately to keep the tumor that was Kinect alive.

I'm pretty sure most of what you're describing happened at the reveal event and not the E3 conference.

Kinda expected if you followed the general XBOX direction, imo. A few MP only or MP focused AAA games mostly from MS itself and some indie SP games. The Best console and services though. Depending on what you consider more important, it can be described as pretty good or pretty bad. imo, below average.

Sony

Nintendo
I can't grade the contest without looking at the context: the leadup. In the leadup tot this E3, the focus was on Scorpio and how powerful it was. Looking at their pre-E3 communication, I expected E3 to be the place to showcase what Scorpio can do. However, too much time was wasted on games that didn't look impressive graphically. Why spend so much time on SoD 2? Shadow of Mordor? Sea of Thieves took way too long aswell, even though one of the final shots looked great. They should have shown, not told, what XboX had to offer and in my opinion, they failed. Conference is a 7/10. Witout OG Xbox BC, it would have been a 5.5.

They even pulled a Surface Book: quickly mention the price because you know it's too much and quickly end the conference.

MikeBison

Oh, no doubt. Will definitely be the best place.

But the Xb1X won't change the fact that these multiplat games will sell a lot more on ps4, have a bigger player base, more likely for your friends to be there, yada yada.

i just don't understand what ms are doing with xbox anymore, its pretty much a multiplat box right now which is fine but to compete with ps4 u need exclusives. if u have a gaming pc there is no need to buy xbox, gears/forza and most probably halo are going to release day 1 on both platform

this conference was crap, last 2 years they had much better showings. all i wanted was some halo/gears and they couldnt even give me that.

Rodelero

The main problem for me is you can't trust them or even see a change down the road. It's all well and good saying it takes time to make new AAA IP but if they don't have the studios, it's not happening. It wouldn't be hard to say, new studio is making this, thought we would let you know, bit far off but goes to show they are doing something, anything. When they don't do that, it leads me to one conclusion, they are not doing anything.

Trust is a big issue right now. I've got to the point now where, even if they did announce the game of my dreams, I wouldn't really believe in them to deliver it. They could literally come out and say they're bringing 1 vs 100 back, or renewing Age of Empires, and I'd be sitting there half worried that they were going to ruin something I love. Microsoft can no longer turn things around with a good E3, they need to deliver great experiences over a few years to really reinvigorate people to the brand and make them believe that Xbox is a brand for which games come first.

The whole thing just feels out of touch and a bit clueless, and for that matter I think Microsoft deserve considerable blame for failing to control the messaging over Scorpio. The discussion over Scorpio has been entirely dominated by fanboys who were incorrectly pushing Zen, $399 and a whole myriad of other positives which we now know do not exist. In the end, Scorpio feels somewhat underwhelming and somewhat overpriced because of these endless rumours Microsoft should have put to bed a long time ago (or simply not acted out of desperation in announcing Scorpio 18 months before its release).

Top Bottom