• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Microsoft E3 Conference [Over]

What shirt should Phil Spencer wear today?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rymuth

MS doesn't care, they want you to play games if it's on the PC then they're fine with it, they don't even care where you play their IP Minecraft. Xbox was always a very, very small endeavor for them and they don't really seem to care much about how often it sells, as long as it's not completely irrelevant.

MS has also only a very small booth at E³, even though its open to the public too their's isn't any bigger than the ones of third parties. Sony has a space that is about three times as large followed by Nintendo that has at least twice as much space as MS there...
They can't charge you for online play like they can on Xbox, tho, so that's a big loss. Plus, I imagine if you buy a game on a different store (Steam/GOG etc) as opposed to W10 store, than they'd definitely care.

Wasn't this supposed to be the year where we would be finally seeing Phil Spencer's first-party efforts?

There were two possible scenarios:

Scenario 1, Microsoft cared strongly about being a market leader in the console gaming space and wanted to hit back against Sony with a more powerful, competitively priced box featuring multiple big budget AAA exclusive first party games.

Scenario 2, Microsoft, under the leadership of Satya Nadella, in their process of steering the company away from the disastrous Devices push taken by his predecessor (of which the Xbox was a product of), agreed to give the Xbox division a relatively modest budget to make one final attempt to prove the Xbox is worthy of Redmond's time and if not, at least segway it's user base onto the PC.

For the last 2 years every sign has pointed towards scenario 2 but diehard Xbox fans who aren't really aware of the wider context of Microsoft as primarily an enterprise productivity software company insisted that E3 would prove scenario 1 to be true.

Well here we are, let this be the end of the debate. I can't even call this a failure or a bad conference, if I was in the position of the Xbox division heads with a limited amount of money to squeeze the remaining juice out of the brand I would probably just moneyhat a few timed exclusives and call it a day too. I don't really know what else people expected.

Detective

I thought the conference was really bad. Not MS bad but bad as in general.

This must be the worst conference I've ever seen actually.

Scorpio was my selling point. The rest is just so fucked up.

As an Xbox gamer first, it's an embarrassment.

But I guess they have things for next year. I remember Phill said they are not gonna show games early in development, So next year maybe.

gamz

I thought the conference was really bad. Not MS bad but bad as in general.

This must be the worst conference I've ever seen actually.

Scorpio was my selling point. The rest is just so fucked up.

As an Xbox gamer first, it's an embarrassment.

But I guess they have things for next year. I remember Phill said they are not gonna show games early in development, So next year maybe.

Which is fucking stupid. I want to see games in development.

wapplew

E3 is not be all and end all, plenty of time and opportunities for MS to make a case for Xbox one X again.
Gamescom is coming, they can tease what coming later half of 2018 with mind blowing Halo 6 trailer etc or they could host special hands on and showcase event.
They can also add games bundle or elite controller to sweeten the deal, they can do trade in program or even cut the price before launch.
If anything Phil Spencer good at, it's his quick reaction and execution.

LastChance2Frag

Neo Member
Just rewatched some of the trailers on YouTube. Pretty happy over all. Shame there was no killer surprise or new IP to go along with the launch of xbx. Sea of thieves looks like it's coming along. Don't understand why crackdown 3 got such little time but happy about the Black Desert announcement but that's 2018.

gamz

Just rewatched some of the trailers on YouTube. Pretty happy over all. Shame there was no killer surprise or new IP to go along with the launch of xbx. Sea of thieves looks like it's coming along. Don't understand why crackdown 3 got such little time but happy about the Black Desert announcement but that's 2018.

Yeah, SoT looked fucking fantastic!

E3 is not be all and end all, plenty of time and opportunities for MS to make a case for Xbox one X again.
Gamescom is coming, they can tease what coming later half of 2018 with mind blowing Halo 6 trailer etc or they could host special hands on and showcase event.
They can also add games bundle or elite controller to sweeten the deal, they can do trade in program or even cut the price before launch.
If anything Phil Spencer good at, it's his quick reaction and execution.

Really not seeming that way on the games front.

Breakage

The stability and quality of the Xbox.com livestream was impressive (despite my lack of 4K display). I hope Sony can achieve something similar.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
It wasn't empty, but it did lack anything big. Is this the inevitable lull year for their E3 conference as they transition to shorter announce-release times?

I'm glad they gave Gears and Halo a break. Especially the latter.

Even though I was bummed about the pricing on Xbox One X, the rest of the conference was great to me. They had an awesome variety of games and that was honestly the most important thing to me. I get why people expecting some AAA exclusive bombshells were disappointed, but that's not why I play stuff on Xbox.

The real reason is that I get almost all of my games for free through Bing rewards.

TeeDoff

Neo Member
So, I haven't seen numbers anywhere, of the "22 exclusives" that Phil S mentioned, how many were timed and how many were actual exclusives? (for sake of argument, exclusive means not on Nintendo/Sony devices in this instance).

Detective

You haven't answered the question. How is the studio a mess. Your evidence MCC?

Halo 4, MCC and halo 5.

The fact is that Halo has been in decline ever since 343 took over should give you a hint.

Halo 4 the messed up MP and the decline it saw a year later compared to 3 and Reach which had approximately 1 million active players a year later compared to Halo 4 which had 20k I think.

The MCC

The launch of Halo 5, the fucked up campaign and the constant problems with it and it's servers , also incredibly low in population.

That's just the some points.

Miles X

Halo 4, MCC and halo 5.

The fact is that Halo has been in decline ever since 343 took over should give you a hint.

Halo 4 the messed up MP and the decline it saw a year later compared to 3 and Reach which had approximately 1 million active players a year later compared to Halo 4 which had 20k I think.

The MCC

The launch of Halo 5, the fucked up campaign and the constant problems with it and it's servers , also incredibly low in population.

Halo 4 still sold huge numbers. Since XBO everything has been in decline (for xbox I mean). Probably more to do with that.

Hubble

You haven't answered the question. How is the studio a mess. Your evidence MCC?

You must be joking. It's obvious Halo has been at a decline since 343 and their direction. The studio is clearly at a crossroads. No Halo announcement this year is a clear sign. The studio is pondering their future with the franchise. IMO I think it would be smart to let Halo 6 go. Let the franchise breathe. Create a new FPS IP. Then next generation, reboot Halo in the veins of Halo 1-3. Halo is just not going to do it for them this generation. The damage to the franchise has been done.

Halo 4, MCC and halo 5.

The MCC

I agree, Ever since COD 4: Modern Warfare came out and took the number 1 spot on xbox live, Halo has never been the same since.

gamz

You must be joking. It's obvious Halo has been at a decline since 343 and their direction. The studio is clearly at a crossroads. No Halo announcement this year is a clear sign. The studio is pondering their future with the franchise. IMO I think it would be smart to let Halo 6 go. Let the franchise breathe. Create a new FPS IP. Then next generation, reboot Halo in the veins of Halo 1-3. Halo is just not going to do it for them this generation. The damage to the franchise has been done.

No man. Halo 5 makes huge money! Don't know where you are getting that and Halo I think always had a 3 year window.

Detective

Halo 4 still sold huge numbers. Since XBO everything has been in decline (for xbox I mean). Probably more to do with that.

Sells is not everything,

And the fact it sold so well and declined so much in just a year should be obvious and proof my point. It was a messed up game .

Scenario 1, Microsoft cared strongly about being a market leader in the console gaming space and wanted to hit back against Sony with a more powerful, competitively priced box featuring multiple big budget AAA exclusive first party games.

Scenario 2, Microsoft, under the leadership of Satya Nadella, in their process of steering the company away from the disastrous Devices push taken by his predecessor (of which the Xbox was a product of), agreed to give the Xbox division a relatively modest budget to make one final attempt to prove the Xbox is worthy of Redmond's time and if not, at least segway it's user base onto the PC.

For the last 2 years every sign has pointed towards scenario 2 but diehard Xbox fans who aren't really aware of the wider context of Microsoft as primarily an enterprise productivity software company insisted that E3 would prove scenario 1 to be true.

Well here we are, let this be the end of the debate. I can't even call this a failure or a bad conference, if I was in the position of the Xbox division heads with a limited amount of money to squeeze the remaining juice out of the brand I would probably just moneyhat a few timed exclusives and call it a day too. I don't really know what else people expected.

R&D isn't cheap (at all), and If anything Xbox One X probes that it's not a 'final attempt'. MS is making money (finally) with the xbox brand. Not being first doesn't mean is worthless.

About 1st party support: we've got several games to be released (all presumably) within the next year.

My two cents: based on the recent E3s looks like MS was serious about not revealing games too early. Now, everything which has been showcased will be released within a 1 - 2 years release window. So, we won't have Halo 6 nor GoW5 on holidays 2018 but 2019. With Forza 7, Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2 and Sea of Thieves, Ori 2 already in the pipeline (all of them known or at least expected, case of Ori 2), which surprises has MS prepared for next year holiday season besides Forza Horizon 4? I guess will find out later down the line; so far next 12 month 1st party support looks great.

The Pope

R&D isn't cheap (at all), and If anything Xbox One X probes that it's not a 'final attempt'. MS is making money (finally) with the xbox brand. Not being first doesn't mean is worthless.

About 1st party support: we've got several games to be released (all presumably) within the next year.

My two cents: based on the recent E3s looks like MS was serious about not revealing games too early. Now, everything which has been showcased will be released within a 1 - 2 years release window. So, we won't have Halo 6 nor GoW5 on holidays 2018 but 2019. With Forza 7, Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2 and Sea of Thieves, Ori 2 already in the pipeline (all of them known or at least expected, case of Ori 2), which surprises has MS prepared for next year holiday season besides Forza Horizon 4? I guess will find out later down the line; so far next 12 month 1st party support looks great.
It looks anything but great and has been anything but great. They just dont have the capicity anymore - they gutted their studios( Sony has too which is deeply dissappointing but they still have at least 3 x the output capability as MS).

Noctix

Sorry but 500$ console is not the answer for any of this. I still don't understand why they went in this direction. Even if there existing base of (26-30 mil) jumped ship it would still be the same people. I don't think this will inject an extra 30-40 mil users for microsoft to be market leader. I think it will do ok in US but I strongly feel it will not do good in Europe which has always been sony land.

Looking at SoD2 and Crackdown 3 it didn't look like the highlight for Xbox One X like it should have. They should've inject money/resources into these 2 games to make them be the big games they shouldve been. Oh well.

MisterR

What was going on with Crackdown and Sea of Thieves. Sea of Thieves looked so dull until the sea battle(Unbelievable water tech). Crackdown must be in dev hell.

I honestly think they'd cancel Crackdown, if they hadn't already gotten so much shit from cancelling Fable and Scalebound. It's supposed to release this year and that's all that was shown of it?

MisterR

That Sony got the marketing on Big Third party games etc doesnt mean shit. The Xbox One X IS THE best place to play the games on console. Microsoft had CoD for 2 years (Ghost and AW) and Microsoft had Fifa and Battlefield but nobody talked like this then? Everbody said it didnt matter because PS4 hade the best versions anyway. (Sorry for maybe bad english :p)

You're comparing apples and oranges. At the time the PS4 was cheaper and more capable and the sales leader. Yes, if you want to spend 500 bucks you can get the best version of 3rd party games on the One X, that's not at all the same thing as comparing base models.

MisterR

A lineup is a lineup, exclusive or not and it's the most diverse lineup they ever had. Beside, it's a pro consumer move that they do not lock down games for others console forever.

It's definitely a pro consumer move for me, it means I don't have to rebuy an Xbox.

mazillion

So whatever happened to that "little something" Halo that was supposed to be at E3? Anything Halo outside of the conference?

Only thing I remember is the mentioning of a 4K update for Halo Wars 2 but that hardly seemed worth mentioning.

Maximus P

It wasn't all bad for me-

Pros:

Metro looked incredible
As did Ori 2
and Anthem
Original Xbox games coming is a nice feature
The design and size of the Xbox one X is really nice
I'm excited about Player Unknown
Minecraft cross play and servers will be huge in my household

Cons:

I really expected an Elite controller to be packed in at the $499 or at least a new game
I've seen way too much of Shadow or War
No big new AAA exclusive
Closing the show off with a multiplatform game that was announced 24 hours prior, just seemed strange to me and left me with a 'is that it?' feeling at the end

it was solid for gamers as a whole. and I'm happy with the show. But i expected more and feel slightly let down.

They spend all this time talking about the world's most powerful console. They even had people wearing the shirts that said I witnessed the world's most powerful console. To then show a bunch of indies that some guy keep saying exclusive but I'll be able to play on PS4 at a later date. We been promised for years that they made a billion dollar investments in firts party and every year we end up disappointed and say well maybe next year they will show them. MS truly learn nothing from the past mistakes. They be lucky to sell a million Xbox one X by 2018.

Hawk269

Props to Mixer btw. It ran super smooth for me and the quality was easy above YT and Twitch.

My biggest fear is regards to being able to watch the conference was if Mixer would be able to handle the 4k/HDR feed and it delivered. Very impressed with the quality of the stream and was shocked it was in HDR also. Some of the games looked downright impressive in 4k.

Came back here quick to say holy shit Anthem blew my mind. I'm finding it really hard to be excited for Destiny 2 now when I know I'll be able to play as space Iron Man a year later. I will take all of that game please.

I think Microsofts conference missed the point a bit.

They have been hyping up Scorpio and its superior horsepower for months now.
E3 would have been the time to show games which show of a substantial visual jump over what we've seen in recent months.
Just repeating the "true 4k" slogan again and again won't convince people if what they see in the trailers looks pretty much the same as what we are already used to.

They had 2 hours to show something to justify the 499.
The hardware in the box surely is worth it, but specs don't convince many people.
Microsoft needed at least one exclusive AAA visual showcase, something like Anthem, but fully exclusive.

BigPapi

I love the short announcement to release schedule. Gears 5 would be holiday 2019 halo 6 is most definitely holiday 2018. I imagine their e3 will start to just paint the road map up until the next e3 going forward now.

rgoulart

I've never been happier for trading in my Xbox One for a PS4 in early 2015. Nothing against Microsoft, I really want to see every company thrive and be successful but my favorite games are on PlayStation. I wish I had the money to have all three consoles but for now I have to set for only one.

With that said, I think Microsoft needed a really big exclusive game at this conference. Something to make me (a PlayStation owner) want an Xbox console. Every year I watch expecting this to happen. To this day, the one exclusive game I really wish I could play is Sunset Overdrive, it looks so good.

Cels

Did anyone get their gifts from the mixer promo? I'm wondering if you get a notification or something once you are eligible or is it just silent

Conference was definitely a letdown imo. I was really hoping for a big surprise or two. Not that some of the 3rd party stuff wasn't incredible (Anthem, holy shit) but multi-platform games aren't what i was looking for. I was really hoping for some exclusive surprises, stuff we didn't know about and didn't expect.

The one game I was anticipating, Crackdown, didn't even have a good showing. After all this time I just assumed we'd see a playthrough or maybe a multiplayer match... not just some quick montage of footage.

6/10

- Good format
- Anthem was impressive
- A lot of games shown

- Severe lack of new first party games, especially ones with a notable budget.
- Bad pricing
- Touting exclusive to games that are nearly all either console exclusive or timed console exclusives

Funniest thing was Phil having his Japan trip to supposedly get DBZ and Code Vein on Xbox when those games would be coming to Xbox anyway lol

Rocketz

I never gave my 2 cents so I'll throw it in here now.

It was great to see a lot of games being shown off. That's what I want to see. I'm really excited for a lot of the titles coming up. But in saying this, there wasn't a home run moment of the show for a game. Anthem looked cool but I kinda know already how it's going to play looking at Destiny and The Division. In addition to being well over a year away it's hard to get too excited now. 1st party stuff is obviously a concern and it's not getting better.

With this, XB1 X isn't a big need for me at the moment. I wanted it to be a Day 1 thing after the show. I'm just not getting the push I wanted to see to want to get it right away. My OG XB1 will continue to ride it out with me through this holiday it seems.

Conference overall was fine but not great. Want to see them redo the stage for next years. Focus on games was good. Need that home run moment though.

This was a pretty rough conference. I was ready to get a Xbox One X if they had a couple first party or exclusives. Instead Sea of Thieves was pretty much the only thing I would like to play but even that looked a little weird in the demo they showed.

I don't know I don't really want to be negative but I did not enjoy the show at all.

I hated the (EXCLUSIVE) voice over only to be met with a (console launch exclusive) in the fine print.

I feel like they didn't really do much to sell people on the power advantage of the X.

weird year for E3 all around.

I think Microsofts conference missed the point a bit.

They have been hyping up Scorpio and its superior horsepower for months now.
E3 would have been the time to show games which show of a substantial visual jump over what we've seen in recent months.
Just repeating the "true 4k" slogan again and again won't convince people if what they see in the trailers looks pretty much the same as what we are already used to.

They had 2 hours to show something to justify the 499.
The hardware in the box surely is worth it, but specs don't convince many people.
Microsoft needed at least one exclusive AAA visual showcase, something like Anthem, but fully exclusive.

You can't show games that don't exist.

Nephtes

This was honestly the first Xbox E3 press conference I was disappointed in in a long time...
They seemed like they had a lot of momentum going into the pricing of the XOneX... And then "$499" escapes Phil's lips and that was it.

It's just not a competitive price given their opponent's install base lead and with no MUST HAVE IP on display... They didn't sell the $499 price tag. They could have with an experience that won't run on PS4 Pro... But they didn't.

Coming out of this press conference I really feel like I just witnessed the last Xbox that will ever be unveiled...

Do I want an XOneX?
Sure.
All of my 3rd party releases have been on the Microsoft platform since the X360...
But do I think they're going to make another generation of consoles after this?

Quite frankly... I don't know.
They made a pretty box with lots of power, but they don't seem to be spending the capital needed to give it the software backing it deserves.

Will wait and see if FFVII Remake gets an XOneX enhanced version I guess...

Top Bottom