• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343: Halo 4 is best/fastest selling game in series, will do better on quality 4 Halo5

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't know how anybody can get that statement from this all:

"Best" refers to the sales.

Heck he even says that game wasn't flawless.
Did you not just agree that it could not possibly be the best selling Halo game? I just don't understand the wording in either context.

Overdoziz

Banned
Heck he even says that game wasn't flawless.
Wish they'd be less vague about it and just tell us what they are planning on changing/fixing. Acknowledging that there are issue is great, but with specifics it's hard to know if your specific complaints are being heard. Good to see that they did note that they're going to work on their communication, though.

Sojgat

I think it's clear he's talking about sales which is why he's being misquoted, because his statement is incorrect. Halo 4 was the fastest selling Halo game in it's first week. However, last time I checked it's sales stood at around 4 million copies, which means the only Halo title it sold better than was Halo Wars.

TheOddOne

Did you not just agree that it could not possibly be the best selling Halo game? I just don't understand the wording in either context.
Best selling refers to how well the title is selling compared to the older titles, this does not mean all of them combined though. See it as this: Reach sold faster than Halo 3, Halo 3 sold faster than Halo 2, Halo 2 sold faster than Halo 1 and so forth. In this context it means Halo 4 is selling faster than Reach.

Wish they'd be less vague about it and just tell us what they are planning on changing/fixing. Acknowledging that there are issue is great, but with specifics it's hard to know if your specific complaints are being heard. Good to see that they did note that they're going to work on their communication, though.
Agree. Still skeptical about it all, but it feels like their first big step.

Manp

Given that the core titles have all but ignored the other SII's, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Also the current Expanded Fiction author Karen Traviss has ignored the S2/3's on Onyx in favor of building up the Infinity and Osman.

well one can still hope.
and given that as you say the books seems to be centered around Kilo 5 this would leave all the Spartans from Blue Team jobless.

after all Glasslands have very little to do with Halo 4 main plot, if you ignore Spartan Ops (i'm not sure about Thursday War since i still have to read that but i can imagine it would pick up Kilo 5 team from were they were left in Glasslands and expand on that), and the way i see it they could very well use the books to push forward the Kilo 5 subplot and use John and the whole Blue Team in the main story arc (in the new game trilogy i mean) to finish the fight against
the Didact

:)

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Best selling refers to how well the title is selling compared to the older titles, this does not mean all of them combined though. See it as this: Reach sold faster than Halo 3, Halo 3 sold faster than Halo 2, Halo 2 sold faster than Halo 1 and so forth. In this context it means Halo 4 is selling faster than Reach.
Fastest selling would imply it is selling at a more rapid pace than its predecessors. He says that. Best selling is a term that specifically implies most, and is a measure of the total.

TheOddOne

Fastest selling would imply it is selling at a more rapid pace than its predecessors. He says that. Best selling is a term that specifically implies most, and is a measure of the total.
I see where you are coming from. Yeah, it could be implied that way too. However, I still think Frank was referring to overall performance wise compared to the older titles. Still even then the wording is still murky at best.

Jawmuncher

Personally 2 is still my favorite and from a story perspective Reach is better.

We've already commented on the weak villain.
But part of my dislike on Halo 4 is that 343 seemed to be scared to try and take the story in a different direction. I'm not talking some DMC reboot. But it just felt the same sometimes to much to the previous campaigns.

I still say the original is still my favorite but I loved Halo 4. I'm actually looking forward to the next one. I remember when they announced Halo 4-6 and thinking they were just milking at this point and I figured it would be disappointing. I'm glad I was wrong. 343 did a great job with Halo 4.

clav

Of the recent Halo games, definitely the best multiplayer although 343 needs to embrace the community more (i.e. Forge maps).

Campaign was also better than most although the QTE scenes and some cheesy story occurrences ruined what made Halo special.

I remember how disappointed I was with Halo 3 and ODST. So much backtracking in Halo 3 ruined the pacing.

That (marketing) quote is really gross, though.
Agreed 100%, and I actually thought the overall marketing was really poorly done. Only saw/fast-forwarded through the live-action commercial a handful of times, and the information that we got before the release was shoddy at best.

Having said that, the launch party at the Microsoft store here in Austin was fucking fantastic. Alison Stroll is an amazing human.

wow that's a bold claim. And I don't even agree with him when he clarifies. There's being positive and then there is being delusional.

However I do understand that a ton of players like the changes brought to multiplayer. If that's the direction that the franchise is going, I'll have a hard time following it .

KageMaru

I see nothing wrong with what he's saying. He'll obviously have a bias for the game he's dedicated years to work on, so what do people really think he'll say? I'm just happy that he admits mistakes were made and they have a lot to learn. That gives me some hope for Halo 5.

nOoblet16

Graphics and good lightning matter in a FPS. Halo 4 fixed yhe visual problems that pkahued Bungie's Halos: the darn lighting

If anything the strongest point of Halo 3, ODST and especially Reach was the lighting engine which was superior to most console games. Halo 4 significantly pared back the intensity (for particles and explosions) and radius of lights from Reach. I find the post processing and shaders in Halo 4 to be great but the overall lighting to be worse than Halo Reach, it might be asthetically more pleasing (with the light shafts and glows that are in your face) depending on what you prefer but technically 343 definitely had to make some compromises.

Its my least favourite game in the series (outside of Wars) but bad Halo is still better than most other shooters.

That quote is really gross, though.

And you wonder why the gaming industry is in decline. Anything properly marketed is written off and discredited because of how well its marketed and at the same time game b is written off because no one knows about it. 343 Pushed more Blu-Rays because of Forward Unto Dawn than SONY did with some of their firsty party game releases and the 360 lacks a fucking BR drive. Why are gamers so terrified of marketing? Ive see simple dashboard ads drive gamers to tears.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Agreed 100%, and I actually thought the overall marketing was really poorly done. Only saw/fast-forwarded through the live-action commercial a handful of times, and the information that we got before the release was shoddy at best.

Having said that, the launch party at the Microsoft store here in Austin was fucking fantastic. Alison Stroll is an amazing human.
I'd say it was the best part of the whole launch. I've enjoyed Forward Unto Dawn (which I'm pretty sure is what he's referring to as innovative) more than the game itself.

It's still not better than Halo 2. Halo 2 had better mechanics, probably still a better campaign, and the multiplayer is better as well.

Halo 4 has the best multiplayer since 2 though. It's campaign is maybe the worst in the series though.

I love when thread titles are blatant lies on the OP's part to get people riled up. Happens more often in OT, though.

It's a quote. It's also the headline of the article the OP is referencing. And then the OP quotes the interview where it is clarified. All the info is there.

Roffles. Yeah, okay...where is that yeah, okay gif???

Anyway, 343, a Halo 3 Expansion Pack beak you guys out, I am sorry. Halo 4 is a pretty good game, but it is not quite the time to get on your high horse.

xemumanic

At first I agreed flat out, but now after thinking about it for a bit, arbitrary ranking among the games is a pretty bad idea. They're all most great games, so ranking one over another just doesn't work. But in all I still think Halo 4 is one of the better entries in the series objectively speaking. 343 did a great job, and its only has me waiting to see the next one.

I honestly would say that its the best in the series. Graphically its a no-brainer. As far as story telling goes, it far exceeds the previous Halo games. You can argue about the content of the story itself, but you can't really argue that the storytelling in Halo 4 is the best in the series. It introduced several new sandbox pieces (weapons, vehicles, enemies) that are actually going to stick unlike many of the additions after Halo: CE. The sense of "wonder" that has been lacking since the original game is back and better than ever. Although Marty composed some really great stuff, I would argue that Halo 4's soundtrack is the best of the series as a whole. Multiplayer is probably the most balanced a Halo game's has ever been. Spartan Ops is the first time the series has had a co-op mode that gives people reason to keep playing its dedicated co-op mode. I would also personally add that as far as atmosphere and tone go, Halo 4 is the best in the franchise and that the game's campaign is the best in the franchise. That part is my opinion but I would agree that Halo 4 is the best entry in the franchise whether Frankie and 343 meant to say that or not.

It truly is an amazing game. Single player still has a long way to go, but the atmosphere was nailed. The actual level design isn't the best. They used lots of arena areas rather than creating open environments that felt real, and what isn't an arena feels very narrow and linear.

Multiplayer feels like a mix of Reach and 3, which is perfect for me. Perhaps some balance issues, but for the most part it's fine.

What really needs to be fixed is the damn file browser. Why wasn't this a priority?!

I kinda agree, but it's not that good. A year from now few will even remember it existed or recall anything about it. I think I liked...what was it called, "haven?"
So, in that regard, Halo is still stuck in ODST and Reach mode. Irrelevant. Purchased and then forgotten.

For the time, Halo 1 wins by a landslide. Matter of fact, it's the only game in the series that mattered at the time it was made on a creative level and influential level.

I read that as best selling and fastest selling at this point, not as bestest Halo ever, look at us!

Regardless, its the most consistent fun I've had in multiplayer. Netcode is solid, JIP works as advertised (works like a dream for me, but your mileage may vary), and the core movement and gunplay is the best there is. Campaign is gorgeous but less cohesive than others in the series and a letdown story-wise, and Spartan Ops is good as a terrorist hunt/co-op elimination mode, but needs more varied objectives and locales. DLC is also properly integrated into playlists and comes up often in my sessions, and thats a huge improvement.

Its a fucking great game, and better than I had hoped it would be honestly, but its definitely 343's beast now. Still Halo, but different.

So far I find the story to be a boring walk and shoot experience, halo 1 felt a lot better in level design.

Halo 4 looks amazing but it's not the best gameplay wise to me.

funny, I missed when quotation marks stopped indicating a quote. It's a quote, which is then clarified.

"Halo 4 is the best and fastest-selling Halo game in the series." That's a quote.

"Halo 4 is the best... Halo game in the series." That's a quote. A misleading one.

The guys could easily be talking about sales when he says best. taking that section out of the quote makes it seem like he only meant to talk about quality.

"Halo 4 is the best and fastest-selling Halo game in the series." That's a quote.

"Halo 4 is the best... Halo game in the series." That's a quote. A misleading one.

The guys could easily be talking about sales when he says best. taking that section out of the quote makes it seem like he only meant to talk about quality.

Are you joking? The first quote you posted:

"Halo 4 is the best and fastest-selling Halo game in the series."

It's the best Halo and the best selling. I don't see what's so hard to understand.

yes, it's trying to grab viewers, but it's what the guy said. If he only meant best selling, he would have only said best selling. But he didn't.

None of the Halo games have been perfect anyway, but I'd seriously argue that this one does the most things right out of all of them. I just hated all the new enemy types.

I think the quote is a little nondescript, and could go either way, but I am willing to bet that many of them are blowing smoke up each others bottoms.

eso76

I...no.
I think it's probably the worst Halo as far as sp campaign goes.
Worse ai, a lot less sandboxy, smaller areas, stupid, annoying enemies that made me wish I had to fight the flood instead, and the way vehicles were implemented for God's sake.
No guys, you really didn't get what makes halo special.
Cut scenes looked incredible, though, I'll give you that.

TheMink

How could you claim to be the best of something you didnt in invent?
"We made the best halo game evah!!!!! Not that we could have come up with the idea that revolutionized console shooters....."

Mindwipe

I find it so odd that they focus on the update so much that the communication needs to be better, and don't answer the basics - what are you planning to change, and when?

It's a huge fucking misquote if the original comment was "best- and fastest-selling" and transcribed incorrectly.

Also, the game is bad.

Top Bottom