• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343: Halo 4 is best/fastest selling game in series, will do better on quality 4 Halo5

Subjectively, I completely disagree. From what I've played so far, I haven't been so disengaged since the clusterfuck that was H2's campaign, something which Bungie themselves have made no secret of how badly they fucked that up.

I also think it's a real shame that with H4, the series seems to have moved away from innovating and setting the pace, to copying its competitors.

I know this was about sales, but since I see other people ranking the games I'll get in on that too.

Halo 2>Halo>>>>>Halo 4>Halo 3=Halo 3:ODST>>>>>Halo:Reach

I think Halo 4 is the best since Halo 2 because they kept hit scan and reduced the reitcule bloom. That for me puts it up there. Almost everything else about the game leaves much to be desired, though.

And I don't believe they will learn from their mistakes. Why didn't they learn from Bungie's mistakes with Halo:Reach? AAs and reticule bloom are awful and don't belong in Halo.

Wiz

Pretty bold statement huh?

And kinda off topic...but what would be the next best Halo game to play after CE? I'm planning on finally going through this series once I get a 360 this month.

Waaghals

I can agree that there are some similarities with Halo 2's campaign, but that game was thoroughly unfun, Halo 4 is for the most part well designed and fun. (this is of course subjective). Only the promethean sections can be a drag occasionally.

Hyun Sai

Halo 3 campaign was some garbage of epic proportion. I could only finish it because I did it coop with a friend, but man, that was horrible. Among other things like the eternal back and forth levels, we were like WTF?!? at the surrealist jeep sequence in the end. At least the game had great MP.

And none of the other 8 are particularly special.
Feel so differently. There are so many fantastic encounters in that game, so many moments are a joy to fight through on Heroic.

The uphill battle in the barracks, the chopper run in the first serious vehicle battle, almost all of the Ark & The Covevant, the Scarabs, so good.

And kinda off topic...but what would be the next best Halo game to play after CE? I'm planning on finally going through this series once I get a 360 this month.
Order of release would be the way to go, but be careful you don't burn out as someone new to it.
That's a lot of Halo.

graboids

did he mean best selling game in the series? That's how I read it, but maybe I missed something. Anyway I still like ODST the most, then probably Reach & Halo 4.

Ein Bear

The big thing for me in 4 was how they just completely neutered the scale of the levels. Compare the use of vehicles in levels like Assault on the Control Room, The Ark, The Covenant, etc, with how Halo 4 used them. The second level of H4, where you drive a Warthog down a linear path before being forced to get out 30 seconds later was such a disappointment, and set the tone for the rest of the game.

Hell no.

Halo: Reach > Halo 3 > Halo: ODST > Halo > Halo 2 > Halo 4

Reach first? I know multiplayer isn't a factor for you, but this is still very surprising to me.

Mine:
Multiplayer: Halo 2 > Halo 3 >>>> Halo Reach > Halo 4 (I didn't include CE because I only played local)

Campaign: Halo CE > Halo 3 > Halo 4 >Halo Reach > Halo 2 (part of the reason I may not have like 2 is because CE seemed so good in comparison to me. But like I said before, I'm not exactly a campaign expert).

Dantis

Wait, isn't this twisting his words a bit?

Halo 4 is the best and fastest-selling Halo game in the series.

Doesn't this mean that it's both the best selling and the fastest selling, rather than the best objectively and the fastest selling?

Pagusas

Elden Member
I agree, as Halo 3 was bad, Halo 2 was TERRIBLE, Halo was amazing and ODST beautiful but had no soul. Did not even bother with Reach.

Graphic wise it destroys them all without blinking twice

Story wise is where it stumbles, it tries harder than the rest, and its a hell of a lot better than 2, but it still hits the same lame/groan moments, and the ending was pretty terrible without any sense of direction for the series.

Music, its about at the same level as the rest, maybe slightly bellow 1 and 2

Gameplay - I felt it brought things back to how they needed to be, 2 and 3 felt off and never recaputered the fun of 1, but 4 somehow did.

ygM2t.jpg

it's by far the worst in the series.
Came here to post this. Perfectly sums up my response.

RavenH2

Everyone has his own opinion... and that's great! We all have our favourites. I like that they admit there is a lot of room to improve and that they will work on it.

For me personally, I don't know if it's the best, but they certainly showed they can hold the candle to Bungie, and that means the Halo franchise is in good hands (especially the gaming part).

Honestly,
it was a bold move to kill off a main character (Cortana), and to incorporate so many things from the novels. And at least for me, it worked great, everything felt connected, from Halsey's questioning to the Composer. I suspect however Cortana will return, albeit with some changes (read HUMAN), but still a bold move, and if you ask me, a very much needed one..

I will be looking foward to Halo 5, and very likely, they have sold the Next Box to me...

So, I have to say, "Best"? Don't know... but Damn Good Effort? Of Course...

(still, a few things need improvement)

If you like Reach better than ODST and 3 (and even 4) I just don't know what to say.

4's story just felt really generic, the prometheans are even more dull than the flood and the games pacing felt really rushed like a CoD campaign. hurry push this button now hurry press that button so on and so forth. its as though the story script was written by George Lucas~awful.

Graphics and good lightning matter in a FPS. Halo 4 fixed yhe visual problems that pkahued Bungie's Halos: the darn lighting

I'll take the much better gameplay of Bungies games over teh pretty grafix of 343 any day. this franchise may very well be dead to me now.

Dreaver

Singleplayer and graphics: yes
Multiplayer: not bad, especially on first attempt, but worse then Halo 2 and 3
Networking/netcode: it's terrible, lot to fix.

I disagree. I got bored by about mission 4 and haven't played it in about 6 weeks now. Have no interest in going back. Multiplayer is the same as ever (with minor changes) and the Spartan Ops thing was mind-numbingly boring.

I wish I hadn't bought it and I will not buy another one.

i-Lo

If you say it's the worst, someone will come in here and vehemently state it's the best and vice versa. That is the beauty of forum... problem is when people "state" it as a fact as if their opinion was so.

Anyway, I found Halo 4 to have a really satisfying campaign despite a few issues. In terms of enjoyment from SP only (incl. story):

Halo 3 ODST > Halo 4 ~= Halo 3 > Halo CE > Reach > Halo 2

In terms of visual fidelity:

Halo 4 > Reach ~= Anniversary > Halo 3=Halo 3 ODST

Overdoziz

Banned
Aren't they saying it's the best selling and fastest selling Halo game in the franchise? Not necessarily the best game quality-wise?

Either way,

Campaign storytelling:
2 > 1 > ODST > 4 > Reach > 3

Campaign story:
2 > 1 > 4 > 3 > Reach > ODST

Campaign gameplay:
1 > 3 > ODST > Reach > 4 > 2

Firefight/Spartan Ops:
ODST > Reach > 4

Online multiplayer:
2 > 3 > Reach > 4

Overall package (modes, features):
3 > Reach > 4 > 2 > ODST > 1

RIP Halo

TheOddOne

Here is the actual full post from Frank:
From the face of Frank

2012 was supposed to be the end of the world. Instead, it was the beginning of ours. Halo 4, despite being the seventh or eighth game in the Halo series (depending on how you count them), was our first game. That is to say, our first-ever fully fledged title, built from the ground up creatively and technologically. So let me save you the trouble of trolling my statement: We have a lot to learn. We made a lot of mistakes. We can do better. And we know this, and we will. But I don’t want to spend the first moments of the year thinking about the negatives, because frankly, I am incredibly proud of both the team and the game that team created.

And for a first effort, it wasn’t half bad.

Stepping into Bungie’s oversized shoes would have been difficult, even for a well-established team. The challenge of wrangling that engine, that universe and that community was dizzying, even withering. Four years ago when our charter began, the challenge of starting the seed of a development team and then creating a sequel to Halo terrified us. A small group of us – names you know, like Kiki Wolfkill, Bonnie Ross, Kenneth Scott Josh Holmes and other characters who have moved on to different projects, different places – was tasked with doing something that was almost impossible.

But the team grew. And we learned. And we’re still learning. And the game arrived and it succeeded. Halo 4 is the best and fastest-selling Halo game in the series. It won critical acclaim. It won awards, from Best Graphics at the VGAs to Game of the Year at the Inside Gaming Awards. We altered the engine. We expanded the universe. We innovated in storytelling, technology, and even marketing. It wasn’t flawless by any stretch of the imagination, but by most objective criteria, it was a resounding success. So we know we have a lot to do. And we know we have a lot to learn. But we also know that we now have the capacity, the teamwork, the technology and the experience to do much better next time.

But my point is this: If you’d asked me three or four years ago if we thought we’d be where we are now, I would have looked doubtfully at you and said, “That’s a lot to ask.” But the team, through miracles of collaboration and individual contribution – and lakes of blood and tears – waded into the challenge with gusto and worked obscene hours with passion and verve to get it done. And now we’re beginning to really understand what “it” is.

I think that, perhaps perversely, rather than being looked at askance with doubt and cynicism, in some corners we’ve been given extra latitude – the only benefit of low expectations. And then the ability to exceed those expectations.

There are a ton of things we wish we'd done better: Features that didn’t make it into the final game. Glitches that emerged. Missteps made. DLC fiascos. Communication breakdowns. But there were things that went astonishingly well – the creation of a genuinely competitive AAA studio chief among them. A collection of talent and souls that can do something genuinely amazing on this and next-generation hardware. The overhaul of an amazing game engine – but one that really needed to be overhauled – and an amassed education on systems, people, code and audience that will stand us in great stead for the future.

Some of the high points of the last few years have been products as well as people – like Halo: Anniversary and Forward Unto Dawn. There have been amazing events – Halo Fest, the E3 debut, ComicCon – all blurring into a sea of faces, excitement, light, and noise.

But the most important aspect of our success, and our efforts now and in the future, has been this community – a demanding, imaginative, engaged, vocal, varied and intelligent swarm of personalities, groups and individuals, each with subtly to radically different interests in this vast and varied universe we’re charged with. That isn’t lip service, nor is it pandering. You guys pay for the privilege of playing our game, and you have every right to have a voice in its development.

It may not have ended up precisely the way you imagined – there are simply too many voices and perspectives to make all of the people happy, all of the time – but we think of the community as a direct and democratic extension of the team and, indeed, of the development process. A litmus test, a pH strip and a sounding board for ideas and innovations, you are the tension between the need for change and evolution, and the necessity of inertia.

Technically, this should be a retrospective, but it’s safe to say I’m more excited about the future than the past. Excited about what this team is already working on. Excited about what this team is capable of. And excited about the future of Halo. A future we want you to be a part of. A future we’re building for you.
Read it in full instead of the headline grabbing article.

Kev Kev

I love all the Halo games and Halo 4 is by far my favorite... at least when it comes to the campaign. I've read all the books and the story is what I was looking forward to and oh man 343 did not disappoint.

I know people are going to blood scream at their computer for what I'm about to say but Reach was my favorite multiplayer, it was just plain fun. I'm not sure what the complaints are all about when it comes to the balance in H4. It plays fine IMO but then again I don't play multiplayer competitively so I can't say that my opinion really matters on that subject. But yeah the campaign was blew my mind and I can't wait for 5 and 6.

Perhaps instead of
"Halo 4 is the best and fastest-selling Halo game in the series."
he meant
"Halo 4 is the best- and fastest-selling Halo game in the series."
?

did he mean best selling game in the series? That's how I read it, but maybe I missed something. Anyway I still like ODST the most, then probably Reach & Halo 4.

At least a few people know how to properly read English, but smh at the majority of the posts in this thread. He absolutely did NOT say it was the best game in the series. "Best selling" and "fastest selling" is how you extract that from the sentence.

Sojgat

The chronological story order for the series is Reach, CE, 2, ODST, 3, 4. I'd play them in this order if possible.

CE, and ODST are the best campaigns in the series by far. ODST takes place during the same time frame as Halo 2. However, Halo 2 is awful, so maybe skip it, and just look up it's basic plot on wikipedia, or watch the cutscenes on YouTube.

Ein Bear

Don't mean to sound like a dickhead, but what's wrong about the multiplayer? I've been playing here and there since launch and I can't think of anything that offensive or shitty.

Personally, I didn't like how they spoilt the 'purity' of the experience with stuff like different abilities and customisable loadouts. It's not a huge, "THIS IS FUCKING TERRIBLE AND I HATE IT" change, but a bit of a bummer.

The framerate is also ass in split screen, which really sucks. (I don't like playing multi over Live very much)

Exactly, but GAF just likes to read only the titles and go on berserk mode.

Pretty sure he didn't ment it that way.

Right, but the thread kind of morphed into that anyway and people want their opinions to be heard. It didn't deserve to be the best selling Halo, in my opinion. But I'm sure 343 still worked really hard to get the game done, so props there. But hey, evil CEO's probably work as hard as or harder than anybody, so hard work doesn't equate to a good game or deserved recognition (this is a massive exaggeration). I work hard but don't often get any recognition for it.

Overdoziz

Banned
I'd take Halo 3's 240p resolution, jaggies and faces over Halo 4 if it means getting the scale, encounters and gameplay back.

IHaveIce

Banned
Then he could only mean that it is the best game in the series, which is an awful thing to say.

Read the whole text of him, I don't think he means that if he admits the mistakes and many other stuff that sound negative.

Even with the sentence about Bungie it should be clear he doesn't mean their game is the best at all, heck even if he thinks so for his own I doubt he would say it in a bulletin.

It is about sales

TheOddOne

Then he could only mean that it is the best game in the series, which is an awful thing to say.
I don't know how anybody can get that statement from this all:
Halo 4 is the best and fastest-selling Halo game in the series. It won critical acclaim. It won awards, from Best Graphics at the VGAs to Game of the Year at the Inside Gaming Awards. We altered the engine. We expanded the universe. We innovated in storytelling, technology, and even marketing. It wasn’t flawless by any stretch of the imagination, but by most objective criteria, it was a resounding success. So we know we have a lot to do. And we know we have a lot to learn. But we also know that we now have the capacity, the teamwork, the technology and the experience to do much better next time.
"Best" refers to the sales.

Heck he even says that game wasn't flawless.

Hindle

Banned
Really professional of them to acknowledge the flaws.

Edit: you got to cut them some slack, this was thier first game. I expect they will blow the doors down with Halo 5.

Top Bottom