• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Update Now Available: Adds Miiverse, L+R to activate camera, etc

watershed

Banned
After messing around with Miiverse some more it's an okay experience. As I feared its more twitter-like and less forum-like. There are a lot of people just scribbling or asking for "yeahs". Not much discussion going on. But I got a few actual replies to some questions I asked and I've replied to people who actually try to say something as well. Maybe its just the unfortunate reality of Miiverse being dominated by kids.

After messing around with Miiverse some more it's an okay experience. As I feared its more twitter-like and less forum-like. There are a lot of people just scribbling or asking for "yeahs". Not much discussion going on. But I got a few actual replies to some questions I asked and I've replied to people who actually try to say something as well. Maybe its just the unfortunate reality of Miiverse being dominated by kids.

We also have to remember that the vast majorities aren't frequenting Neogaf or some other message board. I often see comments on this site saying "Miiverse is pointless and dumb." But if you're not already in an online gaming community, I'm sure it's fantastic.

watershed

Banned
We also have to remember that the vast majorities aren't frequenting Neogaf or some other message board. I often see comments on this site saying "Miiverse is pointless and dumb." But if you're not already in an online gaming community, I'm sure it's fantastic.

Miiverse may provide a sense of community for those who aren't on some other service but it doesn't seem to provide the discussion aspect which is what makes neogaf or other forums worth it in the first place. Its more like a constant twitter feed than a discussion forum or social network.

Miiverse may provide a sense of community for those who aren't on some other service but it doesn't seem to provide the discussion aspect which is what makes neogaf or other forums worth it in the first place. Its more like a constant twitter feed than a discussion forum or social network.

You're definitely right about most of Miiverse looking more like Twitter than anything, but there are plenty of good discussions that I've seen (although, not as much as you and I would like, of course).

You're also right in that it's mostly because there are lots of kids on the service, but if you start a serious thread, you tend to get serious replies and some discussion (but not like you find in Neogaf or anything).

It can largely depend on who your friends are and who follows you/who you follow. It's true there are a lot of kids, but it is possible to have decent discussion on many different things...with the right people.

I often like to sort posts in Communities by the Impressions tag, so I can see what people are saying about a game. These are often good starting points for decent conversation.

watershed

Banned
You're definitely right about most of Miiverse looking more like Twitter than anything, but there are plenty of good discussions that I've seen (although, not as much as you and I would like, of course).

You're also right in that it's mostly because there are lots of kids on the service, but if you start a serious thread, you tend to get serious replies and some discussion (but not like you find in Neogaf or anything).

Well, we'll just have to do our part in adding some class and substance to miiverse!

There are a lot of people just scribbling or asking for "yeahs".
I thought they made the number of yeahs you have received invisible because of way too much of this...

I reported someone for using the term "waifu". If Nintendo are going to moderate strictly they might as well do it for the right reasons.
Please sir, have an amnesty on the Fire Emblem Awakening community when it goes up...
I'm sure it was inappropriate in the reported post

Keeps telling me I'm entering the wrong details even though I'm using the same info I use to login on my PC. Anyone else having the same issue?

JoeM86

Nintendo sent out this on their Japanese twitter

任天堂HP] 「ニンテンドー3DSシリーズ本体 ニンテンドーネットワークID登録、およびニンテンドーeショップのご利用についてのお願い」を掲載しました。http://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/information/2013/1211.html

It's essentially saying that the sheer volume of the Nintendo Network ID registration and linking is causing the eShops to be slow, and that they recommend not trying if you've already registered your NNID between 6pm and 12am JST while the situation solves itself.

w7cd1PN.gif

watershed

Banned
Question: is there any way to sync up your friends list with your miiverse "followers"? I want to see what my friends are doing and what they're posting.

Muku

Posted this yesterday when update went live. Got inspired by the Banderas post in another GAF members post on Miiverse, haha.

zlCfzROKAlUupgRlUr

Link

eggwolio

I asked this half a thread ago, but I don't know if anyone had the answer yet or if I worded it week enough to be understood.

Do transfers still work like they used to, merging data? I'm getting the M+L XL in a week and I want to be sure that when I transfer my current system to it, I keep my copy of Dream Team.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
OK am I the only one who never switched to the camera by mistake? like, ever? the hell are you guys doing

I know its been answered...but it happens alot for me just picking the damn thing up...lol. Or flipping open the screen.

Somnid

I reported someone for using the term "waifu". If Nintendo are going to moderate strictly they might as well do it for the right reasons.

What's your reasoning? Wouldn't that be akin to using the terms "anime" in terms of being a double loan-word? I guess there a debatable misogyny but at the same time there can be real context for it since marrying in-game characters is not unprecedented or should be immune from parody.

What's your reasoning? Wouldn't that be akin to using the terms "anime" in terms of being a double loan-word? I guess there a debatable misogyny but at the same time there can be real context for it since marrying in-game characters is not unprecedented or should be immune from parody.

It annoys me :)

Anybody have an idea how we access posts we made offline?

D-e-f-

Banned
j9Eir3mh.jpg

I want someone to tell me what this means because what I think it means doesn't sound at all good for people who have bought stuff off the eshop before the update.

It means that your previous account activity on the 3DS will not be transferred over to the NNID and will thus be only viewable on that particular 3DS, and not on any potential future services that use the NNID.
That's what I thought. What a clusterfuck.
?!?!?! How does it mean that. It says VIEWABLE. All your account activity is now registered in your NNID. You just can't look it up on other devices. That doesn't mean all your purchases up to this point are hanging in the air somewhere. Jesus.

Why isn't it viewable?

How should I know? They specifically use the word VIEWABLE. Nothing, I repeat NOTHING suggests that this basically ignores all your purchases until now. NOTHING!

Look at this:
It's probably trivial, but I find it interesting that all my digital Wii U purchases are now in my 3DS account history.

Baby steps towards unified account?

I've done the same in my Wii U eShop account history. It already has blank fields for Nintendo Network ID (Nintendo 3DS). This means that I will be seeing my Starship Damrey and Attack of the Friday Monsters purchase that I will make on 3DS tomorrow in the Wii U eShop since it now let's you track stuff across both platforms. It might be as simple as the previous 3DS history formatting not being compatible with the NNID formatting.

Fact still is: you lose nothing.

edit: coming from Nintendo directly:
Nintendo said:
We are aware that some users are experiencing issues accessing Nintendo eShop at the moment.

This is due to the fact that after a Nintendo Network ID has been linked with a Nintendo 3DS system and Nintendo eShop is started for the first time, the previous account activity is transferred to the Nintendo Network ID. Because more of these transfer processes are taking place than anticipated, some users are experiencing service disruptions to Nintendo eShop.

We are working to solve these issues as soon as possible and would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused.
Thank you for your patience.
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/N...k-ID-system-update-service-issues-842049.html

And if Nintendo link my NNID to a new 3DS it will enable in the new hardware the digital games linked to the lost 3DS hardware or still a different process?

It's the same process since your purchases are tied to your NNID so once that is linked to that new system, so are your purchases.

Please let the day come soon when we can manually do these unlink processes so we can stop explaining it.

It annoys me :)

Anybody have an idea how we access posts we made offline?

Next to the POST button, there is a SAVED POSTS button. Click that?

Hey, is there a way I can hide my Miiverse username (my NNID) and only let people see my nickname?

My profile info is already hidden, but I know people can still see my username and do a search to see all my posts and my profile.

The reason I'm asking this is because I don't like the idea of my NNID available to everyone, and the possibility of having people creeping on me.

Hey, is there a way I can hide my Miiverse username (my NNID) and only let people see my nickname?

My profile info is already hidden, but I know people can still see my username and do a search to see all my posts and my profile.

The reason I'm asking this is because I don't like the idea of my NNID available to everyone, and the possibility of having people creeping on me.

All anyone has to do is just click on your Mii which takes them to your profile which would allow them to see all your posts anyway.

So with Mario 3 and now double dragon both being released on wii u and 3ds on the same day, what are the odds that means secret cross buy feature?

I'm gonna assume 0%

D-e-f-

Banned

What could you possibly be posting there that you don't want people to see? Only people who have a NNID can see your profile anyway.

watershed

Banned
Alright, after spending more time with Miiverse and finding some fellow gaffers on there I'm liking it better. Using the different filters helps to. Its hard to put into the words the benefit of having screenshots to share cool moments with others.

All anyone has to do is just click on your Mii which takes them to your profile which would allow them to see all your posts anyway.

Yeah, I know.
I just wish there was a way to hide my ID from people who aren't in my friendlist and block people from searching me with my ID.

What could you possibly be posting there that you don't want people to see? Only people who have a NNID can see your profile anyway.

Nothing besides screenshots, games questions and impressions on played games. And if I didn't want people to see what I post, I wouldn't be posting there anyway.
It's just privacy concerns.

I just wish I could control who can see my NNID, since I think it's something that shouldn't be available publicly. It's my gaming ID and login after all.

On Steam for example I have options so I don't need to disclose my login/ID to everyone.

adroit

At least it isn't your real name. Think of the millions of people who have exposed their full names (and often much, much more) on services like Facebook and Google+. Your NNID is nothing like that.

So with the purchases on my 3DS now registered to my NNID would I still be able to remove my NNID and have the purchases functional on that 3DS so if I sold it to someone they can play those games?

adroit

So with the purchases on my 3DS now registered to my NNID would I still be able to remove my NNID and have the purchases functional on that 3DS so if I sold it to someone they can play those games?
I'm not an expert but I did some Googling and it sounds like the answer is "no". It seems the games are tied to both the hardware and the NNID. Change either one and you're hosed unless you contact Nintendo support (preferably in advance).

I'm not an expert but I did some Googling and it sounds like the answer is "no". It seems the games are tied to both the hardware and the NNID. Change either one and you're hosed unless you contact Nintendo support (preferably in advance).

If I overwite my 3DS mii with my Wii U mii do I lose save data from my downloaded titles? Have seen that has happened to a few people with 3D Land..

adroit

If I overwite my 3DS mii with my Wii U mii do I lose save data from my downloaded titles? Have seen that has happened to a few people with 3D Land..
Yup, I've seen people say that. Someone said it on the Nintendo Life forum, for instance. Sounds like a huge bug to me. Selecting a Mii should have absolutely no effect whatsoever on your save data. This seems so wrong it's just gotta be a bug (IMHO).

afoni

Banned
Yup, I've seen people say that. Someone said it on the Nintendo Life forum, for instance. Sounds like a huge bug to me. Selecting a Mii should have absolutely no effect whatsoever on your save data. This seems so wrong it's just gotta be a bug (IMHO).

MY PULLBLOX SAVES

NO

So I have to choose between losing my Wii U save date or my 3DS save data? Fuck that. I have Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 downloaded on my Wii U, or I lose a ton more of data on my 3DS. This is ridiculous.

So I have to choose between losing my Wii U save date or my 3DS save data? Fuck that. I have Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 downloaded on my Wii U, or I lose a ton more of data on my 3DS. This is ridiculous.

I chose the Wii U Mii and still have all my streetpass data. Didn´t check anything else. The Mii is identical because i exported it from the 3DS when i got my Wii U. ^^

Top Bottom