• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4Chan allows .webm format, world rejoices

Status
Not open for further replies.

strata8

Pretty sure that WebM is supported natively in almost every browser, except for like iOS browsers.

Already been said, but every browser does support it as far as I'm aware. However NeoGAF is run on forum software that limits what web features can be used here, such as basic HTML like font size that is excluded in GAF's BBCode implementation. The userscripts and extensions created in these threads basically allow us to see what the browser can already render, but which otherwise GAF itself doesn't currently support.

Neither IE nor Safari natively support WebM.

A H264 video like this, on the other hand, will play on almost every device.

strata8

Would be nice to have h.264 as an open standard, but you're right it's supported and optimized for more devices. At the moment WebM is the FOTD due to 4chan's news-worthy adoption in their imageboards, but I'm happy there's at least some image hosts that currently support it in the way it's being used.

Though in the end both are kinda dumb IMO. In a perfect world everyone would be using animated WebP. Too bad it has no support... at all :(

explodet

In a perfect world we'd all be pronouncing 'gif' the same way and all devices would play mkv's.

And quit directly linking to 4chan, content there has the potential to evaporate within hours.

wilflare

Not any more, and hasn't been that way for a long time. 4chan has it's own inline extension built in. You can expand them in thread by changing your personal (cookie-saved) setting in that little setting link at the top of the page.

Or by using a Chrome Extension like 4chan Plus, but hey, either way.

thanks! hmm the other threads had inline expansion on default so I was wondering what's wrong with /v/

The real reason is that no GPUs support hardware decoding of VP8 (WebM's codec), unlike H264 which has widespread support. CPUs are shitty at decoding video and for that reason WebM's never going to be viable as a GIF replacement, especially for mobile devices.

In contrast I'm able to have 10 gfys open at the same time on the Surface 2 and IE's CPU usage sits at 15%.

Practically zero hardware acceleration. A single HD webm already pushes an i5 2500k to ~10% CPU usage. I fear what would happen on a page full of auto-playing webm videos.

Webm, like h264, is a video codec. The browsers aren't designed to have several dozens of them playing at the same time on a single page.

WebM is just a container. The codec, VP8, is 6 years old and was the last version of the TrueMotion codec lineage by On2 Technologies before they were purchased by Google, who open-sourced the codec.

The problem is the lack of hardware decoding. Decoding modern video is very taxing, but we hardly notice it because nearly everything uses h264, which has ubiquitous hardware acceleration support. Disable hardware acceleration and h264 becomes as CPU-intensive as WebM, if not more.

VP8 completely failed on getting hardware support from hardware vendors. On PC, only some Intel GPUs actually offer hardware support while on mobile only a few Android devices do it.

It seems Google is working hard to fix this with VP9, which is the rival to h265 in becoming the "4k generation" codec. However, this means we'll probably need new hardware to play accelerated VP9 (NVidia and AMD GPUs might get shader/compute-based decoding via drivers, but mobile devices and intel IGPs need new revisions.)

Thanks for the corrections.

Goddamn. That cat would be out on the streets in 2 seconds if that was my boy. Fuck that thing.

sry for the editorializing.

I'd hope that you aren't stupid enough to let your kid hit your cat.

And I need to see more examples of this amazing technology! That link to the 4c board is dead.

EDIT: Holy shit, did not realize this was pages deep ... will read up. (for some reason Chrome didn't display the page count like all other threads)

Forkball

Until they can be embedded at a decent size, the gif will reign. Also having to click on them kind of kills the randomness.

So before I install the extension, what keeps all of them from playing the sounds all at once if they loaded in the same page? Also, didn't really see any good tutorials on how to make them, any guides that people use?

Somnid

Until they can be embedded at a decent size, the gif will reign. Also having to click on them kind of kills the randomness.

HTML5 compatible video codecs compress far better than gif. At the same quality they are much, much smaller. Click to play is trivial implementation issue (Andrex already has a few different behaviors for his extension).

Tenks

Goddamn. That cat would be out on the streets in 2 seconds if that was my boy. Fuck that thing.

Glad to see at a young age you're willing to instill "You can do whatever the fuck you want without consequence" in your child. You're truly a modern parent.

using the chrome extension with hover to play is AMAZING. each one uses about 25-30% of my CPU on my work computer. (about the same as a youtube video) there is no way I could get away with autoplay.

We have three cats and a husky and we've always taught our daughter to pet gently and only on the head and we've never had any issues with the pets (and don't expect to).

Even at that age, the child is probably 2x the mass of the cat and the cat should be afraid when the kid takes a swipe at it like that.

Part of this is simply the responsibility of the parents to instill common sense into their children; if you attack an animal, it's going to feel threatened and strike back. You can see the cat immediately runs away afterwards.

On topic: loving this .webm stuff. Is there a way that I can capture and save screencasts directly to .webm?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Most of the links aside from the one in the OP and a couple others gave a 404 error, but the ones that did work including that Bayonetta 60fps one?

The future is here. They all loaded so fast that they were already playing in the other tab the instant I clicked on them.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Most of the links aside from the one in the OP and a couple others gave a 404 error, but the ones that did work including that Bayonetta 60fps one?

The future is here. They all loaded so fast that they were already playing in the other tab the instant I clicked on them.
That's how 4chan works. If a thread drops off the page limit without being bumped, it's deleted, links also expire.

Darksol

Yeah, I only get pets that allow children to slap them in the face! Seriously? Hit an animal in the face, expect retaliation. Cats > Kids

Anywhoo...I welcome our new .webm overlords!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom