• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4Chan allows .webm format, world rejoices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete Rock

Very interesting, I did not know about webm at all. Seems like a good solution outside of iOS, large format animated png files are enormous.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Yeah, no way to get them going on iOS at all. Bit of a non-starter for me. The likelihood of Apple supporting a google technology at this point is pretty low.
If WebM gets packaged in the HTML5 specs as the default video container, Apple won't have much of a choice on that issue.

SgtCobra

So the browser in my Galaxy S3 doesn't read webm. And I have to click on links. What?
Same here heh.
I guess that decent smartphone support is still far off.
Not really sold atm, it would be horrible for people like me who browse GAF most of the time on their smartphone if this gets implemented here... Unless it gets fixed.
I'm using Chrome mobile btw.
I like the idea though.

Dennis

Banned
video hitches in the same 3 spots during this webm. Is it just me?

edit: might just be other webms playing simultaneously while this one goes.

It hitches for me too, now. But when I open it in a separate tab it is ultra smooth.

Don't know if it is to do with the number of wifs on the page or something because it didn't hitch earlier.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any way to make them start automatically and repeat like actual GIFs? Great quality though.

Bsigg12

Is there any way to make them start automatically and repeat like actual GIFs? Great quality though.

There is but it'll fry your CPU. When the first extensions came out last night, the first page of this thread was causing everyone's CPU to hit 100% usage

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
WebM for NeoGAF (Chrome) 1.4

- Added toggle for video controls
- Added toggle looping
- Added toggle for auto-playing audio
- Added default volume controls
- Click-to-play option now also has click-to-pause

Would it be possible to implement this as an option?:

Ideally (at least for me) an option to autoplay videos when under a specified file size limit would be perfect, eg:

If under [ 1MB ] autoplay.

That way the smaller videos (typically reaction gifs) could play automatically while the larger ones could be static until clicked.

Would be perfect for some of us.

Would love to but I'm unsure if it's possible to read the filesize before it's downloaded. Maybe. I'll look into it.

sorry to sound like a broken telephone

two bugs/issues
- "Click-to-Play" does not work unless you right-click and press play

Really? It works fine for me. Hmm.

- "Hover-to-Play" requires the cursor to stay on the WebM to keep playing

That's as designed.

Andrex: Can you please make an extension for K-Meleon that does what your script does?

What's K-Meleon?

HUELEN10

How's the Safari version coming Andrex?

So iOS users, what do you use to play? VLC? It's Playing? VLC seems to be quickest for me.

Somnid

Andrex, could you add an onerror handler to gracefully catch the 404s? Also, would you be open to throw this up on GitHub?

In terms of limiting to small videos, I don't think you can read the filesize before it's downloaded unless the content-length header is explicitly provided by the host.

I like how it has the ability to only load the image/video when you click play. gifs make my mobile browser unresponsive as it loads and renders every single gif on a page.
This changes everything.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Andrex, could you add an onerror handler to gracefully catch the 404s? Also, would you be open to throw this up on GitHub?

In terms of limiting to small videos, I don't think you can read the filesize before it's downloaded unless the content-length header is explicitly provided by the host.

404 catching is a good idea. And I'll throw it up on GitHub a little later, when development has simmered down a little.

SJRB

Gold Member
WebM for NeoGAF (Chrome) 1.4

- Added toggle for video controls
- Added toggle looping
- Added toggle for auto-playing audio
- Added default volume controls
- Click-to-play option now also has click-to-pause

Would love to but I'm unsure if it's possible to read the filesize before it's downloaded. Maybe. I'll look into it.

Really? It works fine for me. Hmm.

That's as designed.

What's K-Meleon?

Excellent update, thanks sir.

Blatant repost from the OT, but for Firefox folk who haven't migrated to the extension yet:
Usescript Embedder version 5.

Added options. Now every NeoGAF page has a "WebM Embedder Options" button at the bottom of every page. You can now set whether WebMs and MP4s auto play, auto mute, shows controls and auto loop by default, and you can also customise the width of the videos in question. Haven't worked out how to not increase the side of slimmer/smaller videos, and I suspect it'll be beyond my capabilities.

Oh, and due to the library used to make the option menu, this may not work native in Chrome or Opera any more (but you've got Andrex's extension, so who cares?).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
WebM for NeoGAF (Chrome) 1.5

- Now works with posts added by D4Danger's Live Reload extension (version 2.1+ required, which he's uploading now, so sit tight!)

So Andrex, a third party 4chan extension, 4chan-x, just updated with a feature that pauses autoplay of .webm files when they aren't in the viewport (ala Facebook videos, I would presume). I'm not a codemonkey but I linked their github, so you might find that a useful feature to try to emulate, maybe, as another option to save CPUs.

Thank you, I'll look into using that. Worked on it last night but it was a little beyond my sleep deprived brain.

wilflare

WebM for NeoGAF (Chrome) 1.5

- Now works with posts added by D4Danger's Live Reload extension (version 2.1+ required, which he's uploading now, so sit tight!)

Thank you, I'll look into using that. Worked on it last night but it was a little beyond my sleep deprived brain.

thanks for the update!
not sure why I still can't Click-to-Play... I have to right-click Play for that option to work :/
using dev channel Chrome on W8.1
with DirectWrite and D3D11 flag enabled (tried disabling both but that didn't work either)

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I'm liking this, thank you for the plugin. I'm not getting looping on Dennis' lizard video, I'm not sure why though. I'm going to check some others and see if there are any more that don't.

So Andrex, a third party 4chan extension, 4chan-x, just updated with a feature that pauses autoplay of .webm files when they aren't in the viewport (ala Facebook videos, I would presume). I'm not a codemonkey but I linked their github, so you might find that a useful feature to try to emulate, maybe, as another option to save CPUs.

I like this idea, if this were implemented click to play wouldn't be necessary. If possible, not playing unless fully in frame would be a good option to have as well.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ah, I'd like to say thank you to everyone that's expressed appreciation for the extension. :)

I try not to respond to every thank you because my ego gets too big, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom