• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A confrontation over race at Yale

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry but the OP is confusing me. It's just awkwardly written. Can somebody give me a good rundown what is going on?

edit: so to get the picture, white girl dressed up as Mulan, it's offensive, people demand yale's black dean does a push over racism?

Was she wearing 'yellow face' as others have pointed here? Or did she only wear the oufit?

Mulan's a kick ass movie.

From what I understand, Yale sent out an email to students encouraging them to avoid "culturally insensitive" costumes. The head of one of Yale's colleges sent out her own email wherein she stated the opinion of her and her husband, which is that the sentiment is right but that, ultimately, free expression is more important, and if a costume truly bothers you that much, you have the responsibility to fight it with speech, rather than expecting the college to take action against those who offend you. This generated a lot of blowback from students of color, who resent that the couple - sociologists, I believe - were so incognizant of the power differential at play and deemed the free speech of powerful offenders as more important than the perspective of those without power.

Edit: College only exists as a home for the purpose of enabling free intellectual pursuit.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Terrible, confusing OP, leading to a confusing, shitty thread. Feel free to make another thread if you can figure out what it's about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom