• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDEN

Both the Steam and GoG page say single player. I would suspect something with multiplayer (even in a limited fashion) would be added in an update, but it doesn't seem to be a feature for launch.

It's strange since Sean did give an impression of at least a light multiplayer experience, but I feel like if there was one it would be stated on the product pages.

FStop7

Banned
I don't know what's sadder:

The people instantly jumping to conclusions that there's no running into other players based on a single pretty terrible "test"

or

The people instantly pretending Murray never said you would run into other players even though there's countless instances when he said exactly that.

Both sides need to chill until there's more info and/or testing from players. No need to jump to the extreme one way or the other.

I'm more fascinated by the fact it happened in less than 24 hours. That doesn't seem right given the scale of the game.

One of the players seems to have trouble staying online. His game keep saying he is not online for whatever reason. Lots of user error at the moment. Hopefully they will figure this out shortly.

People in other streams say they've been getting "Not connected to server" off and on all day long.

Sounds like Launch Day Server issues. The usual stuff for launch days.

Mashing

People need to stop talking about "instances"

That's not how the game works

If the seed is the same, but the procedural elements are generated on the fly on your hard drive then how would they meet up? Would that not cause synchronization issues? For instance it is possible that there's a storm on one players computer and clear weather on another? If the former player let his life support run out and he died would the other character just fall over dead (or turn into a gravestone) on the latter's screen?

If HG has said it's not instanced then I stand corrected.

Why are so many people defending this or blaming people for hyping it up??

Hello games clearly led people to believe that you COULD run into other REAL players and physically see them in game. It would simply be a very very rare thing and not something that happened often.

If this is true and you can't in fact run into another other players period then yes, it feels like we were lied to.

I don't see why so many people are defending this or blaming thie players for "over-hyping" it when it's what we were bloody led to believe...
But Hello Games were enticing people to see each other. The day 1 patch added the ability to see star systems people have discovered to increase collision with other players.

RiverKwai

I thought the idea was that the seed would generate the same universe for everyone. So even if it was local, everyone would see the same thing, biomes, etc, because the seed was the same, so the math was identical and colors and whatnot should be the same.
Yes, that is the case. Everyone has, on each of their ps4s, the same universe seed number.

It generates the universe the same for everyone because it's the same number.

That doesn't necessarily mean that it stays the same for everyone. It won't. You'll have local changes that only you will see.

Why are so many people defending this or blaming people for hyping it up??

Hello games clearly led people to believe that you COULD run into other REAL players and physically see them in game. It would simply be a very very rare thing and not something that happened often.

If this is true and you can't in fact run into another other players period then yes, it feels like we were lied to.

I don't see why so many people are defending this or blaming thie players for "over-hyping" it when it's what we were bloody led to believe...

Because not being able to see someone has not been proven.

Did people honestly think this was MP and they just *never* menetioned it *ever* on stage or in a trailer?! Fuck me xD

There are more than a few quotes posted in this thread from Sean about how players have a possibility of interacting in the world. Don't act like it's a crazy thing and people are making it up

pj

Banned
Tell us how the game works.

The universe is pre-determined, just like a level in Halo or Doom. A planet will be the same every time you go to it. Stuff like weather, time of day, and other inconsequential things are likely randomized and are local to your machine.

Even if the game has multiplayer, I doubt time of day and weather would be synchronized, and they are certainly not controlled centrally, as they are not important.

It has nothing to do with "instancing"

Zomba13

Did people honestly think this was MP and they just *never* menetioned it *ever* on stage or in a trailer?! Fuck me xD

People thought it was MP (as in the Journey or seeing Dark Souls shades way, not the CoD or Minecraft way) because Sean Murray has said multiple times how you will be able to see other players even though it's super duper rare.

Man I feel bad for the people that were planning to do Elite Dangerous shit in this game, everytime I see people on gaf going on media blackout for a game after the first trailer I think "There is no way a game could live up to that level of hype"

Never wanted it to be an mmo and this won't stop me buying it but not seeing other players at all is a shame. Just the thought of maybe one day bumping in to someone when you least expect it is exciting so to know it can never happen is very disappointing.

v1lla21

Uh they were both online streaming from their ps4...
That doesn't mean they were both connected to the game servers. I wasn't able to connect at all yesterday.

People thought it was MP (as in the Journey or seeing Dark Souls shades way, not the CoD or Minecraft way) because Sean Murray has said multiple times how you will be able to see other players even though it's super duper rare.
This doesn't mean it isn't like journey.

Zojirushi

Be that as it may, the interesting part here is that it took like what, a day, for two players to meet up on the same planet at the same time which was supposed to be so incredibly unlikely :D

Aw man that sucks :/ I mean I know the chances of it happening were super low anyway but the thought of randomly seeing another person play would have been so damn cool

There are more than a few quotes posted in this thread from Sean about how players have a possibility of interacting in the world. Don't act like it's a crazy thing and people are making it up

I'm not saying that even that wouldn't be possible, but how far do you think those interactions would go? Would it make up a core gameplay loop, or do you think it'd just be an interesting aside?

depths20XX

That doesn't mean they were both connected to the game servers. I wasn't able to connect at all yesterday.

They both checked and they were connected. I watched the stream. One guy didn't have ps+ but that shouldn't matter. I think they're testing it with ps+ now.

NJDEN

Never wanted it to be an mmo and this won't stop me buying it but not seeing other players at all is a shame. Just the thought of maybe one day bumping in to someone when you least expect it is exciting so to know it can never happen is very disappointing.

My thoughts exactly. Even dangling that carrot of "Maybe one day I will cross paths with someone" and not having it is pretty unfortunate.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Of course he wouldn't mention that, obviously, but stupid to not see each other. In an interview he told that players would be able to see each other. Did he lie?

its weird. Both players are in the same spot and online but their planets change colors inversely. Like one player is on a nighttime cycle when the other is on a daytime cycle.

DeathPeak

Dude wasn't even connected. Hopefully they get it sorted out(or HG says something) and we get closer to a definitive answer.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Sorry to quote myself, but would love this answered by someone who expected meaningful MP (so not just something akin to Dark Souls' ghostly apparitions) from this.

Sean Murray said multiple times in the past years there is a (small) chance to meet other players in the universe.

Gaenor

Banned
Only because one was offline and the other was online. they need to be both online to sync their world.

From what I understand, their worlds were synced as one could see that planets were already discovered by the other.

However, there can be a lot of reasons as the reason why they didn't see each other (if the game has a Journey-type of MP for example). I wouldn't throw stones one way or the other. It's a wait and see situation for me.

GHG

Guys what if they are actually the same person but one of them is trapped in the upside down? Not just in the game but also in real life?

It would make sense since one players environment was dark.

Sorry to quote myself, but would love this answered by someone who expected meaningful MP (so not just something akin to Dark Souls' ghostly apparitions) from this.

You could literally just read the last page where there's an article linked with Sean saying that you can in fact see your friends on the Galaxy map.

"Game Informer: Will your friends show up on the map?
Sean Murray: Yeah, but they will be a long way away. "

Is OP going to update at all?

There's some uncertainty about network issues - both connectivity to game servers and NAT type for one player

Lots of people won't go through the whole thread so unless the first post gets updated this discussion will keep going in circles

Edit: welp there it is

43007c1f241f42cf95928c47f110f744.png

Waikis

Sigh, no one here thinks that this will be a full blown MP experience. That's not even what this thread is about.
HG has indicated that there will be a low chance of minimal interaction such as seeing other players suits. That's all I'm expecting.

S2580

Neo Member
This topic really highlights my issue with the game. So many people had such wild expectations for what this game was going to be. Whether these ideas were in their imaginations or not, Hello Games from what I saw just played along with these ideas helping feed their imaginations more. Like in this case, I'd seen it raised several times before and a simple yes or no would have sufficed, but instead we still don't know the real answer and instead have these wishy washy half answers.

Their multiplayer stance always sounded fishy to me. They seemed to say it was possible to meet other players... but it was 1 in a billion chance to do it given how big the galaxy is. Which sounded fishy because, why don't have normal drop in/drop out coop? lobbies? Or whatever system? Why would they actually work a netcode system and a server/client infrastructure to allow online gaming and then make it so that 99.99% players wouldn't use it? That was senseless to me.

People like to play these games with friends. If they don't give you the ability to do it so, it's because technically they were not able to. You are leaving money on the table otherwise, it's as simple as that (as strong coop abilities would have sold more copies).

pj

Banned
If the seed is the same, but the procedural elements are generated on the fly on your hard drive then how would they meet up? Would that not cause synchronization issues? For instance it is possible that there's a storm on one players computer and clear weather on another? If the former player let his life support run out and he died would the other character just fall over dead (or turn into a gravestone) on the latter's screen?

If HG has said it's not instanced then I stand corrected.

The procedural elements are what use the seed and they are the things that will be the same for everyone. Storms are probably random, not procedural, but they wouldn't really cause any issues. What do I care if another player is seeing grass whip around and I'm not?

I would expect the MP, if it exists, to be pretty simple. At the most basic level it just needs to show the position and orientation of the other player. If the other person died they probably would just disappear. How that situation is handled has nothing to do with whether the game is instanced or not though.

What would be weird is if you blew a big hole in the ground, and since that is not synced, the other player would see you falling into solid earth as you jumped into it.

I'm watching both their streams right now. They are both in the exact same spot on the same planet, both have PS Plus (one guy even signed up just to make sure this wasn't an issue), but of their games say online services active, they can't see any trace of each other.

I'd call this pretty definitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom