• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
People thought it was MP (as in the Journey or seeing Dark Souls shades way, not the CoD or Minecraft way) because Sean Murray has said multiple times how you will be able to see other players even though it's super duper rare.

Yes, I know, but let's not take in not happening in this instance (which may have something to do with one the players being on NAT 3, apparently) as concrete evidence that no one will be able to see another player.

whyman

I said this the second I saw you could pause the game. Still people will claim its in there. Pretty sure now it isnt.

Knew it. Called it.

I had a feeling all the Multiplayer is SO rare PR was just there to make it seem so impossible that they could take it out entirely and have no one bat an eye.

Orca

ITT: People who still believe there's multiplayer in this game (for some reason).

Also ITT, people who don't believe the lead developer repeatedly saying you'd be able to run into other people is something people should have thought was real.

I'm trying to figure out which is more annoying, the folks blowing this out of proportion or the folks trying to sweep it under the rug as a non-issue.

I'm watching both their streams right now. They are both in the exact same spot on the same planet, both have PS Plus (one guy even signed up just to make sure this wasn't an issue), but of their games say online services active, they can't see any trace of each other.

I'd call this pretty definitive.

Nothing is definitive when your sample size for a test is 1

Not saying it's possible or not possible either way but you can't take much of anything from this. Especially when connectivity seems to be all over the place

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
This is a deal breaker for me. In many ways, NMS is an ideal sci fi game, but no player interaction guts one of the most important things Id want from an experience like this.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
ITT: People who still believe there's multiplayer in this game (for some reason).
Perhaps the devs shouldn't have waited until literally the day before release to at best, vaguely specify that there's no MP after two years of straight up saying that there is but without things like PSN/Steam names. Including but not limited to saying that you can see the model of other players. They need to just say, there's no multiplayer and stop being so damn vague I mean damn these guys are as humble as CD Projeckt but quite terrible at actually communicating answers to direct simple questions... ಠ_ಠ

Man the grasping at straws in defense.

"Maybe it's NAT"

"Maybe because one guy doesn't have PS+ even though everyone was rejoicing that you don't need it for this game"

"Maybe because planetary orbits aren't synced so they're technically in different places around the sun"

"Maybe they were on different instance servers"

"Maybe launch load"

etc. etc.

AND even if all of those things are wrong and the game simply doesn't have multi at all, the narrative is "oh we knew this all along, here are numerous quotes that I'll say aren't vague and cagey even though they all clearly imply that it should be possible to see other players."

Forget the part about them not being able to see each other.

I think the bigger story here is that that it hints at the size of the universe? Regardless of whether they can see each other, one player found a planet already named by another player, which is to say the same planet. As the game continues to grow in terms of user base, can we expect this to become more common? Is the size of the universe finite? Will the universe run out of planets for people to discover?

"Maybe it's NAT"

"Maybe because one guy doesn't have PS+ even though everyone was rejoicing that you don't need it for this game"

"Maybe because planetary orbits aren't synced so they're technically in different places around the sun"

"Maybe launch load"

etc. etc.

AND even if all of those things are wrong and the game simply doesn't have multi at all, the narrative is "oh we knew this all along, here are numerous quotes that I'll say aren't vague and cagey even though they all clearly imply that it should be possible to see other players."

This is why no one should claim anything to be 'definitive' one way or the other

We simply don't know so it's really up to individuals whether or not they want to believe Sean when he says it is possible in very specific circumstances

(And possible =/= guaranteed to happen)

He's online with PS+ now and they both have "Online Services Connected" now, but they haven't been able to see each other yet.

edit: incase other people are curious: http://multitwitch.tv/psytokat/thesadcactus

I took this screen shot about 60 seconds ago, it's clear the guy is having trouble.

ziTNHBQ.png

Nzyme32

From the very article you posted:
"Game Informer: Will your friends show up on the map?
Sean Murray: Yeah, but they will be a long way away."

So they don't show up in a particular map either? I haven't followed the game, but I assumed when it is said as "see each other" people meant it literally, which I didn't know was a thing in the first place (at least I didn't see anything saying that in my vague glances over the years). Also the article is from 2014 - something I remember reading a long time back. Games change over that many years in development, but I have no idea what has been said lately

depths20XX

"Maybe it's NAT"

"Maybe launch load"

etc. etc.

Lol pretty much

No one should be purchasing No Man's Sky as a MP experience. Just enjoy the game for what it is and stop complaining about nothing.

rainz

Uhh there is literally no way Sean lied about this, something is up... whether story/time related, or something changed... I heard him say numerous times you would see each other if you managed to find someone. He hasn't lied about anything else I doubt he would lie about that..

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sean Murray said multiple times in the past years there is a (small) chance to meet other players in the universe.

Yes... he did not say you can coordinate a meet-up at the local Spacebucks from any interview I read.

He said it was like Journey. So it is completely random. This OP is zero proof that does not exist.

Is OP going to update at all?

There's some uncertainty about network issues - both connectivity to game servers and NAT type for one player

Lots of people won't go through the whole thread so unless the first post gets updated this discussion will keep going in circles

Edit: welp there it is

'try deleting system32', hahaha

ThereItIs.gif

Gamezone

Gold Member
People have to understand one thing. Most of us knows that the possibility of running into each other is very slim, but we all thought it was possible to do so. I don't know what to call it, but knowing that there's a possibility kinda makes the game a whole lot more interesting. Now it's gone, and it kinda sucks.

I feel like if that was the case they could and should have just said so. This makes me look upon them with disdain. Don't bullshit people about what can potentially happen in a game. Ask Peter Molyneux about how that works out.

Sean Murray will remove his mask Scobby-Doo style to reveal Peter Molyneux

NJDEN

Some clarification into what Sean said in a Tweet, "To be super clear - No Man's Sky is not a multiplayer game. Please don't go in looking for that experience. The chances of two players ever crossing paths in a universe this large is pretty much zero."

My take away from that Tweet is...

1. No Man's Sky is NOT a multiplayer game. He said it right in the Tweet.

2. When he states "The chances of two players ever crossing paths in a universe this large is pretty much zero" I think he is referring to any universe with the size and scale of that in No Man's sky. I don't think he was trying to infer No Man's Sky has multiplayer in any capacity, it may have just sounded that way as a mistake.

boinx

I had to go check out the PSN page for this aswell and it says the game is only for 1 player. No amount players for network mentioned.

Some clarification into what Sean said in a Tweet, "To be super clear - No Man's Sky is not a multiplayer game. Please don't go in looking for that experience. The chances of two players ever crossing paths in a universe this large is pretty much zero."

2. When he states "The chances of two players ever crossing paths in a universe this large is pretty much zero" I think he is referring to any universe with the size and scale of that in No Man's sky. I don't think he was trying to infer No Man's Sky has multiplayer, it may have just sounded that way as a mistake.

We already have many sources in this thread from interviews and such where he does imply it's possible. He even specifically mentions a lobby.

liquidtmd

Banned
Perhaps the devs shouldn't have waited until literally the day before release to at best, vaguely specify that there's no MP after two years of straight up saying that there is but without things like PSN/Steam names. Including but not limited to saying that you can see the model of other players. They need to just say, there's no multiplayer and stop being so damn vague I mean damn these guys are as humble as CD Projeckt but quite terrible at actually communicating answers to direct simple questions... ಠ_ಠ

I've got the game. I've logged four hours. I'm enjoying the hell out of it and no this doesnt bother me one jot but to people bemoaning it, again and again the 'It's incredibly unlikely but possible' line was implied or said. I'm not surprised people aren't thrilled. To them I say I hope you still enjoy the game, its great.

Liamc723

So they don't show up in a particular map either? I haven't followed the game, but I assumed when it is said as "see each other" people meant it literally, which I didn't know was a thing in the first place (at least I didn't see anything saying that in my vague glances over the years). Also the article is from 2014 - something I remember reading a long time back. Games change over that many years in development, but I have no idea what has been said lately

So you don't actually know what you're talking about, and your initial post was just you jumping on the hate for this game.

2. When he states "The chances of two players ever crossing paths in a universe this large is pretty much zero" I think he is referring to any universe with the size and scale of that in No Man's sky. I don't think he was trying to infer No Man's Sky has multiplayer, it may have just sounded that way as a mistake.

Regardless of what he meant, he needs to come out NOW and say definitively "yes, you can see other players in the world," or "no, you cannot see other players in the world."

There is no way to misinterpret either of those statements. But I'm certainly not alone in reading his tweet as "it's highly unlikely that you'll run into anyone else, but you can do it"

That's not meeting other players. That's seeing traces of other players. Totally different thing.

But I guess technically is "seeing other players" (if you want to mislead people), but not in real time.

What you're describing is Dark Souls, not Journey.

You see people in real time in Journey.

NJDEN

We already have many sources in this thread from interviews and such where he does imply it's possible. He even specifically mentions a lobby.

But how old are those sources. That Tweet is from August 8th. I am optimistic something may be patched in... I just don't think it is something we have at launch.

Hanmik

Yes... he did not say you can coordinate a meet-up at the local Spacebar from any interview I read.

He said it was like Journey. So it is completely random. This OP is zero proof that does not exist.

I played journey with another gaffer . We planned to meet and it was easy._ he showed me the stuff needed for the trophies.

So it was possible in journey .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom