• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: "there are a lot" of big unannounced Xbox games.

Jay Sosa

They didnt want to announce a game with a cg trailer 3-4 years before they saw release like they did earlier in the generation.

why not? just look at how people lost their minds over a simple logo (me included). If they want me to buy a xbox they need to ante up their game..and if that means cgi trailers from games in an early development stage..so be it.

leeh

You really can't win on here.

Before E3, the majority would say that both major platform holders need to stop announcing games so early.

During E3, both platform holders listened and did just that.

After E3, people complain there were no major announcements for no upcoming big AAA titles.

Before E3, the majority would say that both major platform holders need to stop announcing games so early.

After E3, people complain there were no major announcements for no upcoming big AAA titles.

This. Like clockwork.

Jay Sosa

or people are just different. I'm not one of these guys holding it against developers if the finished product looks nowhere close to the trailer..but I do need something more than what is most likely PR bullshit, be it from Reggie or Mr. Greenberg.

Opt1kon_

launch console
EXCLUSIVE

"Good Lord, what else do you have?"
"Big unannounced Xbox games?"
"Big unannounced Xbox games?"
"Yes."
"May I see them?"
"No."

100GB racing game, 50GB corridor fps, 50GB fighting game.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

😂😂😂 I Laughed out loud because as some folks said, he's becoming very predictable at this point

God, I already can't hear that many Microsoft statements anymore, every week something new.
I was fire and flame for the X at E3 because I want to play my games on the best console available, simple, but with all the marketing bla bla recently, they really start to push me away from their future product, which is crazy if you think about it.

Put up or shut up Microsoft!

daTRUballin

why not? just look at how people lost their minds over a simple logo (me included). If they want me to buy a xbox they need to ante up their game..and if that means cgi trailers from games in an early development stage..so be it.

Yeah, I would have to agree here. Even if some of these games are in an early stage, I think it'd be smart to still show them off to instill peoples' confidence in the platform. At least everybody would know a substantial number of games are actually coming for the Xbox, and I think this could potentially entice people to get an Xbox One X. Isn't this sort of what Nintendo does with their first party games? As of now, the Xbox looks like a barren wasteland.

And FFS, don't cancel any of these games this time!

nynt9

It's almost like gaf is a forum with thousands of members that all have different opinions and those members have a variety of opinions that are often conflicting with the opinions of other members.

It's a balance. Look at the general reactions to Ubisoft and Nintendo this year.

Microsoft comes off as a company that did the bare minimum with first party ideas for a few years and then suddenly jumped in to action when they realized they needed to convince people to buy their new box. Where was this talk and 'deals being signed' a couple of years ago?

Well, to be fair, the past couple of times Metroid Prime 4 has been talked about it has been said it's coming next year. That's a lot different than showing a trailer for a game that won't make it out before the next PlayStation. Could Microsoft have used a couple of trailers for games that are still a ways off? Sure, but that's not going to get people to buy an Xbox now. Especially not after their high profile cancellations. Their best bet was to double down on selling people power and then follow up with what will release within the next year or so...and that's exactly what they did.

I'm not sure what Sony or Microsoft are supposed to do when people complain. Either they are showing games off "too early" and everybody gets mad about waiting or they show off the stuff that's coming soon and people complain about no surprises or bombshells. Pick one. (not you necessarily, but this applies to most people on GAF)

Wrong. If E3 is a "show", then how well received a conference is is measured by the impact of the showings.

Bethesda had a really poor press conference in my mind, but the quality of the press conference was suddenly heightened by the fact that 2 games that are releasing this year are announced.

The fact that Wolfy 2 and TEW2 are both 2017 games were "perception multipliers" that gave extra value and attention to their showcase.

Had those 2 games been for early next year instead of this year, people would've felt that the press conference was weaker even if the amount of games announced were no different.

The same logic applies in reverse for games like Forza. Even though every year Forza is announced and released within the same year... The fact that it's an annual franchise and that it is "expected" means that Forza doing the same thing that Wolfy2 and TEW2 did had practically no multiplier effect in making the Xbox show better.

It is about the balance. Ubisoft is a good example this year where they handled a good balance of Fall 2017, Early 2018, Fall 2018 announcements really well. The only part that they... kinda of missed the mark was BGE2.

daTRUballin

I'm not sure what Sony or Microsoft are supposed to do when people complain. Either they are showing games off "too early" and everybody gets mad about waiting or they show off the stuff that's coming soon and people complain about no surprises or bombshells. Pick one. (not you necessarily, but this applies to most people on GAF)

In an ideal world, they wouldn't be showing off games too early and they would be surprises or bombshells at the same time. At least the latter would suffice. But alas.....

Freeman76

Surely you can see a bigger picture than the one you paint here?

This wasn't a majority opinion before E3, or after. Nintendo just won E3 on this forum.

This wasn't a majority opinion before E3, or after. Nintendo just won E3 on this forum.

This.

People watch E3 to be excited.

Excitement can come from a variety of things. Dream games come true. Ambitious AAA new IPs. Big game announcements with very short announce-release cycle. Amazing trailers/demos.

If you want to have a great conference with the majority of the aspect driven by the excitment of 'short-cycle-announcements', you better have 1-2 big guns ready like AAA new IP announcements or amazing showcases to make up for the fact that you won't have any far-off announcements.

MS didn't have that this year. And if your only game that has a short-announce-release-cycle is Forza and something like Super Luckey's Tale, it will not be enough.

They did just that with Scalebound and Phantom Dust and it worked out really well for them. They're taking the smarter route this time and I'd much rather hear about a game I'll play in the next 6 or 12 months than get excited for something that went into pre-production 2 months before E3.

Shiggy

There's a big difference between announcing a game that way when it's out in the following year (Metroid Prime 4) and when it's out in only 3-4 years (Scalebound, Crackdown 3).

I really don't want to see trailers for games that are more than 2 years+ out, that's why I thought Xbox had a really good E3 this year. More of the same going forward please.

They did just that with Scalebound and Phantom Dust and it worked out really well for them. They're taking the smarter route this time and I'd must rather hear about a game I'll play in the next 6 or 12 months than get excited for something that went into pre-production 2 months before E3.

Scalebound's outcome was disappointing, but it's wasn't an abnormal approach. Game was already in development for 2-ish years, and they initially expected it to be out within 2 years. ( giving it a 4 year dev cycle )

Announcing a game after halfway through its dev cycle and being released within 24 months isn't very absurb for AAA new IPs. Still long, but not unreasonable. At that stage, neither expected game to enter dev hell.

It's Phantom Dust that was handled really, really poorly in terms of reveal.

Rodelero

This.

People watch E3 to be excited.

Excitement can come from a variety of things. Dream games come true. Ambitious AAA new IPs. Big game announcements with very short announce-release cycle. Amazing trailers/demos.

If you want to have a great conference with the majority of the aspect driven by the excitment of 'short-cycle-announcements', you better have 1-2 big guns ready like AAA new IP announcements or amazing showcases to make up for the fact that you won't have any far-off announcements.

MS didn't have that this year. And if your only game that has a short-announce-release-cycle is Forza and something like Super Luckey's Tale, it will not be enough.

It's not just that MS didn't have that this year. It's that they haven't had one for years and years. Sony and Microsoft both had poor E3 conferences. Yet in Sony's case it was unusual, and in Microsoft's case it was entirely predictable. Maybe Microsoft will have a great E3 in 2018 with loads of great announcements, but it would be unreasonable to expect such a thing. They have overpromised and underdelivered throughout this entire generation and a fair few years before it too. Worst of all, when so many of Microsoft's actual releases fall as flat as Recore, Quantum Break, and Halo Wars 2, it's hard to even get excited about the great announcements they do occasionally make.

When Sony announce games I have a certain level of faith that they will deliver on the promise. For Microsoft to gain that level of trust they need to turn around not just their announcements but their releases. As for Greenberg? He's as poor as Ryan.

peppers

Announced:
1. ReCore
2. Crackdown 3
3. State of Decay 2
4. Killer Instinct ( continuous )
5. Scalebound
6. Phantom Dust HD
7. Ori & the Will of the Wisp
8. Super Luckey's Tale
9. Age of Empires Definitive Edition

Unannounced:
10. Studio Gobo Game
11. Unknown
12. Unknown
13. Unknown
14. Unknown

Speculative:
15+. Unknown quantities of game publishing deals signed between E3 2016-17

Thanks. This is literally all I wanted. More than 4 new games without counting Halo and Gears sounds pretty decent.

Thanks. This is literally all I wanted. More than 4 new games without counting Halo and Gears sounds pretty decent.

Don't count on there being 4 MSGP games announced next year (alongside the expected Forza/Halo/Gears)

If we look at MS's trending cycle of MSGP games announced, they presumably sign 2-3 projects a year, and that means the spectrum of projects in the pipeline looks something like this:

11. (Unannounced) - 2 years since signing
12. (Unannounced) - 2 years since signing
13. (Unannounced) - 1 year since signing
14. (Unannounced) - 1 year since signing
15+. (Unannounced) - Less than 1 year since signing

Realistically we can expect 2, or maybe 3 projects to finally reach a stage mature enough to be announced by next year. And that among those projects, optimistically half of them are AAA games, and the other half would be smaller scale projects like ReCore and SLT.

My expectation for next year's E3 from MS is :
1. Halo 6
2. Gears of War 2 Ultimate
3. Forza Horizon 4
4. AAA New IP ( 2018 game )
5. AA New Game ( something along the size of Super Luckey's Tale )

leeh

Just like how it was all about which console plays the best multi-platforms in 2013 and now its about which console now has the best exclusives.

Why do you think both companies stopped doing it? Because everyone was complaining about it!
Wrong. If E3 is a "show", then how well received a conference is is measured by the impact of the showings.
You must of missed the E3 threads around 14-15 where all the opinions were all along the lines of:
"Yawn, all they showed were CGI trailers for games not coming out for years"

What I've personally realised is that people just love to complain about everything.

Just like how it was all about which console plays the best multi-platforms in 2013 and now its about which console now has the best exclusives.

Why do you think both companies stopped doing it? Because everyone was complaining about it!
Hm? People didn't always find exclusives important?

kadotsu

Banned
Hm? People didn't always find exclusives important?

There were many 900p/1080p discussions in the first two years of this gen. Probably because the content was mediocre (I mean Shadow of Mordor, a GOTY?). Now there is content so people tend to focus on that.

m00h

Banned

How long did it took you to count every complain?

With that relatively strong competition from Sony and Nintendo, exclusive-wise, Microsoft is actually not in a position to be silent about "a lot of big" games being in development right now.

Jay Sosa

There's a big difference between announcing a game that way when it's out in the following year (Metroid Prime 4) and when it's out in only 3-4 years (Scalebound, Crackdown 3).

Hate to break it to you..MP4 will not come out in 2018.

They did just that with Scalebound and Phantom Dust and it worked out really well for them. They're taking the smarter route this time and I'd much rather hear about a game I'll play in the next 6 or 12 months than get excited for something that went into pre-production 2 months before E3.

why not both? i do want to know what i could potentially be playing in 2020.. but like i said to each his own.

but i do think that we can all agree on that simply telling us that there are big titles on the horizon will make none of us go out and buy a scorpio...

leeh

How long did it took you to count every complain?

With that relatively strong competition from Sony and Nintendo, exclusive-wise, Microsoft is actually not in a position to be silent about "a lot of big" games being in development right now.
I'm happy about the exclusives Xbox is getting this year. SoT, Crackdown 3, Cuphead are titles I'm going to get myself and play the shit out of.

I'm only missing a nice RPG I can stick my teeth into, but Matt shat on that parade for me.

Cue the people who say they're not exclusives.

leeh

That's still a popular sentiment, because it takes more than that. Are you talking about the mass public or what people on neogaf think for their personal tastes?
More so the popular opinion in GAF.

Don't feel like you have to keep replying, as you probably can sense, I'm not in a great mood.

kadotsu

Banned
I'm happy about the exclusives Xbox is getting this year. SoT, Crackdown 3, Cuphead are titles I'm going to get myself and play the shit out of.

I'm only missing a nice RPG I can stick my teeth into, but Matt shat on that parade for me.

Cue the people who say they're not exclusives.

How do I become a timelord like you to get Sea of Thieves this year?

SaucyJack

You can't really put "both major platform holders" in the same bracket on this one. What they have done and are doing is in not even close to the same.

The God

E3 is their biggest stage as long as they don't make moves to change the status quo.

PSX could be bigger for Sony than E3, but they have to go all in if they want that.

TGS is a joke for Sony and will always be a joke, this TGS include. 2015 was a fluke.

The big point is it's a not a bad look if one of them follows up with multiple 6 month reveal to releases, because then we appreciate this E3 more, this will be a hindsight type thing, as there's nothing to suggest there'll be reveals like that, besides Halo 6. Microsoft has to have new games since they're not going to go the second half of the year without new reveals, so they have to have more than just Halo 6.

We have enough info to safely say Sony won't do any 6 months reveal to release games, which puts Microsoft at an advantage.

Which is why I said we'll see. If PSX is good enough to make up for their poor E3 then I'll be happy to be wrong.

Fredrik

Surprisingly? If it's an Xbox thread with more than 3 pages in a day, it's a negative thread.
Nah I refuse to believe that. Check the Forza Horizon 3 Hot Wheels expansion announcement, Freesync unveil on Xbox One X, Xbox Game Pass unveil, Xbox BC unveil, Scorpio paper launch on DF. Genuine excitement from the clear majority.

I assume most who are negative in this thread don't really like MS much in general though but all it takes is for the rest of us to post too and just ignore the trolls and the thread will turn around. Stop lurking and talk about the games you're excited about or something. Those who are negative when MS says that lots of exclusives are unannounced are so far off from MS target audience you can get, it's just illogical to be negative at something like that, they won't ever change their minds so just ignore them.

As for excitement, personally I started playing Gears of War Ultimate through Xbox Game Pass and fell in love with Gears all over again, it's just so so good! Then I tried Gears 4 when they had a free trial period and instantly bought it because I thought it was like super awesome! So just the thought of Gears 5 coming eventually makes me drool right now! :)

HonMirin

idontbelieveyou.gif

It's unfortunate because I really want MS to show off the capabilities of their box with some exclusives, but it's nothing. Nothing. Hope they really do have something hidden away.

fantomena

MS talk more about how much they've invested in first party output than they are actually showing.

Action speaks louder than words and still, there's just a whole lot of words.

Top Bottom