• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox's Aaron Greenberg: "We have a lot planned to show for 2023, you will not have to wait too long for what’s next for us. Timing is key."

CamHostage

• Spider-Man 2
  • Horizon Call of the Mountain
  • Horizon Burning Shores
  • Firewall Ultra
  • Stellar Blade
These are 5 PS Studios exclusive games scheduled for 2023.

Also Lost Soul Aside and Convallaria, which Sony picked up for worldwide distribution out of its China Hero Project incubation program.

People can bicker about which bucket to list those in (I personally don't love listing pick-ups of mostly-done games as "by XX", especially with how meaningless the term "publisher" is these days, yet in this case Sony sponsored these from the beginning so no reason to quibble,) but these fit the definition of "PS Studios exclusive games".

(And just a note, despite Sony sponsoring that China Hero Project program, they don't publish all of the games that are made in it. In fact, seven games have been released out of it and I believe Sony hasn't picked up any of them themselves until now... which is a little weird what they let others take or to publish indie, but that's fine by me because we got Switch versions of F.I.S.T and Anno: Mutationem and Hardcore Mecha for those of us who want that option.)

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Also Lost Soul Aside and Convallaria, which Sony picked up for worldwide distribution out of its China Hero Project incubation program.

(And just a note, despite Sony sponsoring that China Hero Project program, they don't publish all of the games that are made in it. In fact, seven games have been released out of it and I believe Sony hasn't picked up any of them themselves until now... which is a little weird what they let others take or to publish indie, but that's fine by me because we got Switch versions of F.I.S.T and Anno: Mutationem and Hardcore Mecha for those of us who want that option.)
Yep, but I didn't include those two because (AFAIK) Convallaria doesn't have a release date and Lost Souls Aside is scheduled for Early 2024. We were only talking about 2023 games.

Having said that, this does remind us that, despite having no showcase, PS has already announced at least 3 games (that I can remember) for 2024:
  • Lost Souls Aside
  • Wolverine
  • Rise of the Ronin

Chukhopops

Didn’t they show all games they have got planned for h1 2023 already on the last years e3? Redfall, starfield, forza motorsport, stalker 2, atomic heart etc + lots of interesting indies?
Yeah and Minecraft Legends, moneyhats like Ark 2, Planet of Lana, ARA: History Untold, etc.

It’s just a narrative pushed by the same people on every occasion, just look at page 1 and the utter blue circlejerk it is.

CamHostage

Yep, but I didn't include those two because (AFAIK) Convallaria doesn't have a release date and Lost Souls Aside is scheduled for Early 2024. We were only talking about 2023 games.

Oh fug, you're right, they didn't give those dates. I've seen these games so many times over the years that I just assumed Sony was picking them up to get out in the near future.

(Although I'm not sure where the 2024 date for LSA got pulled from, it's not on the trailer or PS announcement or developer's tweet, sounds like maybe they said it live at the CHP event stage.)
(Convallaria supposedly was said to be 2023 at the same event.)
(Don't hold your breath for either, just in case, but maybe with Sony handling them they'll not stay in the shop longer than they would otherwise.)

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
I think it is fair to say that both Phil Spencer and Aaron Greenberg need to be fired and MS needs to hire someone with better management skills and ability to seek potential.

Congratulation Phil, you have killed Halo.

Robb

Gold Member
So what did they plan to have in 2023
George Costanza Seinfeld GIF

Well you have to understand that they have a lot planned to show for 2023, and you will not have to wait too long for what’s next for them. :messenger_beaming:
Yeah, everything great is always just around the corner with Xbox.
c8D6qOs.jpg

But hopefully they manage to deliver next year. StarField and RedFall should be a guarantee at least.

Three

blah blah blah.

How do they not show up with anything for the game awards? Im glad that Xbox twitter has finally turned on them. They watch Sony games win award after award and still show up with two exclusives. Like wtf are their studios doing? Where the fuck is hellblade?
Maybe the news that windows central reported is true. That they pulled the games from TGA due to trying to appear like they don't have any to regulators. The TGA was weirdly short this year.

Having said that, this does remind us that, despite having no showcase, PS has already announced at least 3 games (that I can remember) for 2024:
  • Lost Souls Aside
  • Wolverine
  • Rise of the Ronin

Might as well list DS2 for 2024 also

Kagey K

Banned
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Horizon Call of the Mountain
  • Horizon Burning Shores
  • Firewall Ultra
  • Stellar Blade
These are 5 PS Studios exclusive games scheduled for 2023. Then there are third-party exclusives that Sony is practically funding.
  • Forspoken
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
So that's 8 exclusive games lined up for 2023 that we know so far. Most likely, there will be others that haven't been revealed yet, e.g., Helldivers 2, more first-party PS VR 2 games, and maybe even TLOU Online or Firewalk's IP.
We are literally listing DLC as game releases now?

yamaci17

I've lost hope tbh. I even want them to lose the suit against FTC. I don't want them to ruin activitison blizzard (what's left of them) and fill them with useless MTX and DLCs that no one cares for (halo infinite etc)

at this point of time, we should've had decent, solid, extensive gameplay trailers / demos from some of the games they were producing. it seems like situation is simply bleak. timing is a lie.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
And yet I can play both of them on xbox. Xbox’s poor first party output in 2022 doesn’t mean xbox owners don’t have anything to play.
Of course not, there is plenty of games to play on Xbox -- just significantly fewer top-tier games when compared to PS. As evidenced by GOTY nominations this year. 4 out of 6 GOTY nominations aren't playable/available on Xbox.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think it is fair to say that both Phil Spencer and Aaron Greenberg need to be fired and MS needs to hire someone with better management skills and ability to seek potential.

Imagine if MS had guys like Reggie, Shu, or Shawn Layden in charge of Xbox. 🔥

Chukhopops

This is why those arguments can never be taken seriously. Just queue in any HI game mode today and tell me if it looks dead to you.

I wish there was a scoop update function for all the bots here but alas…

CamHostage

Maybe the news that windows central reported is true. That they pulled the games from TGA due to trying to appear like they don't have any to regulators. The TGA was weirdly short this year.

Seems as likely or unlikely a reason as any (why plan a reveal though and then pull it, it's not like this regulation issue is new...)

At least Phil Spencer got a comfy seat to sit in all night...

iKtAlon.jpg

Last edited:

CamHostage

I've lost hope tbh. I even want them to lose the suit against FTC. I don't want them to ruin activitison blizzard (what's left of them) and fill them with useless MTX and DLCs that no one cares for (halo infinite etc)

at this point of time, we should've had decent, solid, extensive gameplay trailers / demos from some of the games they were producing. it seems like situation is simply bleak. timing is a lie.

Eh, come on, we're all having our fun here dogpiling on Xbox, but they're got many good games out. FH5 and Flight Sim aren't ruined by useless MTX or DLC (those add-ons have been pretty good actually,) Sea of Thieves is still worth playing, so is Grounded, some other stuff. Even Halo Infinite, it's been a damned mess, but not without its joys amidst the frustration. Every developer is having a hard time this gen and in these times, and MS compounded the issue by announcing a ton of games which were really not games yet, just concept renders, but there's no reason to assume they ruined anything of Bethesda (actually, you could tell that they didn't ruin the first few Bethesda games... when you played them, on a PlayStation...), and Starfield alone will help balance out the conversation next year. And there's no indicator that they ruined any of the studios they acquired (they certainly haven't ruined them by rushing them along to release or show any of their games...) IMO, all these projects will be fine (and some of the shitstorm stories like the shifting seats for Perfect Dark might be what the project ultimately needed,) it's just a matter of when we'll see them and how much the wait will be worth.

In any case, Activision ruined Activision a long, long time ago...

Last edited:

Three

Seems as likely or unlikely a reason as any (why plan a reveal though and then pull it, it's not like this regulation issue is new...)

iKtAlon.jpg
It's Jez so could be a complete fabrication. The FTC planning to block the deal is relatively new though. I don't think MS expected that.

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned

iKtAlon.jpg

Phil: wake me up when they have another "life time achievement" award for me !!!

Asleep at the wheel clearly. Had six months to prep a new trailer for Forza, Starfield or Hellblade. couldnt be bothered.

Now if they had a great year then fine, but their biggest game Halo Infinite wasnt even nominated for GOTY. At least Forza was nominated last year. Sony could afford to not show up because they at least had a couple of first party games nominated. I feel like MS is so detached from reality probably because their community bubble just keeps them thinking they are doing a good job. Meanwhile everyone else is like dude wtf.

I think the problem with games like Forza, Starfield and Redfall is that they arent exactly story based games that can have a traditional 2 minute trailer. Starfield is not exactly a cinematic RPG like Mass Effect so they wouldve needed a lot more gameplay shots for it. Redfall is redfall. Meanwhile, Sony games can just show a bunch of cutscenes without having to worry about the state of their engine or whether or not the game is in development hell. Which is probably what they ended up doing.

I am actually very disappointed that sony first party had nothing at the show besides DLC. No spiderman, wolverine, SSM new IP, GG new IP, Bluepoints MGS remake, no ND's new game, No Bend game, No sucker punch game. Sony went an entire year without a show and relied upon third party studios to bring exclusives to the VGAs. The problem is that MS is so abysmal that the conversation is about MS instead of Sony. If Spiderman 2 isnt ready to show 10 months before launch, it is probably not ready to release in 10 months.
Like God of War was not ready?

zzill3

Banned
Of course not, there is plenty of games to play on Xbox -- just significantly fewer top-tier games when compared to PS. As evidenced by GOTY nominations this year. 4 out of 6 GOTY nominations aren't playable/available on Xbox.

You sure on that?

Launch to date, Xbox has 10 90+ games and 96 80+ games, while Playstation has 8 90+ games and 97 80+ games.

I think your definition of ‘significantly fewer’ is quite different from the one everyone else in the world uses.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articl...y-exciting-year-to-come-in-2023/1100-6509916/

Aaron says timing is key, but what better timing than at the end of a year with no major releases to reassure your fans and to create hype and momentum going into 2023?

If Nadella and Phil are smart, they will have something ready before the end of the year to give a taste of what's to come. They can't leave 2022 without at least some CG trailers and some promises going into next year.

Now the question is, is Aaron telling the truth of Microsoft having a "lot" to show? I ask because why would there not be a conference then if the first part of this "a lot" we won't have to wait "too long" for?

i feel like there needs to be a staff shakeup sometimes.

I wouldn't even want Aaron to be a janitor in my company of 2 people.

Last edited:

Spitfire098

You sure on that?
[/URL]
[/URL]

Launch to date, Xbox has 10 90+ games and 96 80+ games, while Playstation has 8 90+ games and 97 80+ games.

I think your definition of ‘significantly fewer’ is quite different from the one everyone else in the world uses.
Damn, imagine all that and still 3rd place?
Awkward Kid GIF

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
As an Xbox fan I just won’t get excited until we get a date for starfield at the very least. No tangible exclusive dates to be excited for.
At least two years, unless you want the game on alpha stage

My problem is Hellblade. It's close to become vaporware by now

zzill3

Banned
I think many people in this thread are referring to high quality AAA content not available to every platform and PlayStation has more of that high quality AAA content.

I don’t think I need to post the metacritic links again so I’ll just post the summary:

Could you just tell me what your definition of the word ‘more’ is because I think it’s different from mine.

Loxus

I don’t think I need to post the metacritic links again so I’ll just post the summary:

Could you just tell me what your definition of the word ‘more’ is because I think it’s different from mine.
I forgot to mention they are also referring to high quality AAA content in recent years.

Also, I'm taking about AAA games.

Last edited:

Goalus

Aaron says timing is key, but what better timing than at the end of a year with no major releases to reassure your fans and to create hype and momentum going into 2023?
First and foremost they need to convince everyone, but especially the regulators, that they have absolutely nothing at the moment.

The Sony zealots seem to be convinced already and thereby approved the Activision deal.

The regulators can now clearly see as well what a small fish MS really is. This probably means we won't get any news until April.

zzill3

Banned
I forgot to mention they are also referring to high quality AAA content in recent years.

Also, I'm taking about AAA games.

I’ve always deemed AAA to mean 90%+ or maybe 95%+ if you need to be harder on it.
Xbox matches Playstation for 95%+ games, and xbox has 2 more 90-95% rates games.

Do you have an objective definition of AAA or do you think it’s more subjective? Because from what I can see Xbox has got playstation beat.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
There aren’t only goty games outside.
SCx2K8f.jpg
Not 100% sure what you meant, but this list isn't for GOTY nominations. We were talking about GOTY nominations: 4 out of 6 games that are nominated for GOTY are not currently playable on Xbox.

The games on this list are nominated for other things (e.g., A Memoir Blue is Games for Impact), not Game of the Year.

Top Bottom