• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Abyss Odyssey |OT| A Warlock's Nightmare From Which I Am Trying To Awake

Genki

Will probably end up pre-ordering even though Rock of Ages ended up being pretty underwhelming to me. This looks like it'd be more up my alley and the art is beautiful. The discount+soundtrack deal is generous, but I really wish they wouldn't do anti-consumer stuff like forcing you to pre-order to get the discount instead of say having a first week discount and converting $ directly into €.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Did...did you read the OP?

There is an issue Sera. That´s seems to either be US Date only since no info cant be found for the Euro release or it releases the next day or so on Europe. The Steam Page uses Pegi16 logo but that doesnt confirm anything for the consoles until Atlus or ACE Team says so. Someone should ask em at Steam Community but that is kinda Off Topic considering its not really a steam question.

Will probably end up pre-ordering even though Rock of Ages ended up being pretty underwhelming to me. This looks like it'd be more up my alley and the art is beautiful. The discount+soundtrack deal is generous, but I really wish they wouldn't do anti-consumer stuff like forcing you to pre-order to get the discount instead of say having a first week discount and converting $ directly into €.

Well it is on Steam so the game will get a discount pretty soon on the Winter Sales if we consider with how it works there. So if you miss the 33% probably by waiting a few months it could be 50% to 66% off. I guess the OST will be sold separately later but if the game gets a discount the OST will probably get it too.

Vazra

The ghost monk is a good concept. Normally that would be something you'd fight, not play as.

You can play with everything you fight actually. Each enemy has a complex moveset like the main characters. You can use all those characters on Vs mode for example. I believe I read either on their forums or the steam discussions there are currently 37 playable characters and more would come as DLC.

Yes...yes I did.

Usually there is a page for the games pre-release, but thank you for that.
There is usually a page for the games pre-release but not every game gets those pages. I hope its not delayed for Europe.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yes...yes I did.

Usually there is a page for the games pre-release, but thank you for that.

That's mostly for bigger games. For example, Mousecraft and One Piece: Unlimited World Red come out today, and neither of them have store pages yet. And they're being released in a few hours. We likely won't see anything on the store for AO until the moment it goes up.

Tizoc

That's mostly for bigger games. For example, Mousecraft and One Piece: Unlimited World Red come out today, and neither of them have store pages yet. And they're being released in a few hours. We likely won't see anything on the store for AO until the moment it goes up.

Grace Chen'll let us buy them when she feels like it brah.
Abyss Odyssey might get a pre-order this week on US PSN at least, since various other games had them.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Grace Chen'll let us buy them when she feels like it brah.
Abyss Odyssey might get a pre-order this week on US PSN at least, since various other games had them.

Oh I hope it does. I'd really like the pre-order discount Steam is getting on PSN as well, since that's where I'm planning on getting it. Hopefully we get something like that. Maybe a PS+ discount? Not likely, I know, but I can hope. :lol

Vazra

Oh I hope it does. I'd really like the pre-order discount Steam is getting on PSN as well, since that's where I'm planning on getting it. Hopefully we get something like that. Maybe a PS+ discount? Not likely, I know, but I can hope. :lol

I believe the team wanted to do something like the Steam Offer on consoles. We´ll see if they manage to get that on PSN and XBLA.

Caerith

Just ignore it. It should be obvious to anyone with half a brain who can get one eye open that Abyss Odyssey and Dragon's Crown are nothing alike. One's a 2D platformer with fighting mechanics, the other is a side-scrolling (z-axis, not 2D) brawler. The only things they have in common is being published (not developed) by Atlus and that there are idiots on the internet.

Vazra

Just ignore it. It should be obvious to anyone with half a brain who can get one eye open that Abyss Odyssey and Dragon's Crown are nothing alike. One's a 2D platformer with fighting mechanics, the other is a side-scrolling (z-axis, not 2D) brawler. The only things they have in common is being published (not developed) by Atlus and that there are idiots on the internet.

Its not just that but also the discussion they have later on on the nudity in games. They went full circle.

for those who didn't know :
-ace team also made zeno clash 1&2 and rock ages, thus earning their cuhrayzee permanent status
-it was founded by three brothers and the A C E actually comes from the first letter of their name (Andres, Carlos and Edmundo) (sorry rockstar gaems, we found better)

classic steam community
vlambeer really nailed their early access thing, nuclear throne probably has the best steam hub, everybody is welcoming and calm (i expect it to go to shit for a bit after release though)

Caerith

Its not just that but also the discussion they have later on on the nudity in games. They go went full circle.

Yep, and that is a discussion you should definitely ignore, at least in the context of a game's OT. Last year's Dragon's Crown Reviews thread got locked and a round of bans. Dragon's Crown got 9/10 across the board, except one site that's notorious for clickbaiting gave it a low score because boobs. The OT didn't link that site, because it was obvious bait.

If there's going to be a discussion of nudity in games, it should be in a dedicated thread. Like the one made in 2010 that only went for four pages before everyone forgot about it. Otherwise it's derail city.

Vazra

Yep, and that is a discussion you should definitely ignore, at least in the context of a game's OT. Last year's Dragon's Crown Reviews thread got locked and a round of bans. Dragon's Crown got 9/10 across the board, except one site that's notorious for clickbaiting gave it a low score because boobs. The OT didn't link that site, because it was obvious bait.

If there's going to be a discussion of nudity in games, it should be in a dedicated thread. Like the one made in 2010 that only went for four pages before everyone forgot about it. Otherwise it's derail city.

That was a messy thread that was talking mostly about the controversy started by certain site that in the end didnt stopped the game from being good and well received by most sites. I don't see this game really getting the controversy DC had.

As for comments on the gameplay video I like the focus on combat but the running and walking movement seems stiff. Fighting, Dodging and jumping on combat seems smooth enough.

Strider

I preordered this yesterday based on 1 post in the Steam thread that sold me on the game right then lol. Of course the discount didn't hurt either.

Ozium

What characters are you guys going to check out/play as first? I thinking about rocking the ghost monk.

Caerith

That was a messy thread that was talking mostly about the controversy started by certain site that in the end didnt stopped the game from being good and well received by most sites. I don't see this game really getting the controversy DC had.

As for comments on the gameplay video I like the focus on combat but the running and walking movement seems stiff. Fighting, Dodging and jumping on combat seems smooth enough.

It does look kinda off, yeah, but it grows on you. I like that keys are visible on the character models, thought that was a neat touch.

vg260

Very interested, but I'm reluctant to buy this at launch. The pre-order discount is tempting though and it might be a while until a sale any time after.

Vazra

What characters are you guys going to check out/play as first? I thinking about rocking the ghost monk.
Im good with everyone but I wanna check Pincoya first.
It does look kinda off, yeah, but it grows on you. I like that keys are visible on the character models, thought that was a neat touch.
Maybe after leveling up gets smoother? Who knows.

Dr Dogg

Another neato OT Nito ;)

But damn did that 7 min gameplay vid sell me on this game. In a bizare twist Abyss Odyssey shares a few similarities with another Atlus title for me, SMT: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army, well a few character designs anyhow.

I'm trying to think the last time a sidescroller action game used fighting game style mechanics. Well I can and it was the SNES version of Batman Forever which was pretty much the combat engine from Mortal Kombat II but I've tried to expunge that from the memory.

That person going off on one over at the Steam Community discussion is just crazy. So to get a bit of perspective as to why they were so upset I went and had a quick read up on some Chilean mythology and it's really quite close to a lot of European mythology (quite interesting too boot). The character in question they have a problem with is Pincoya which have a scout around about her influence there is many parallels with mermaids which you can really see the influence in the character animation and design especially with how the hair flows and the floatyness of movement. Of course this person choose to take issue with the supposed naked nature of the design which isn't the first thing that strikes me about the design at all, let alone the comparisons to another Atlus published title.

I don't know if it's the ESRB splash screen that while it's rated T for Teen it does mention that it contains Violence and Partial Nudity. Funny that you'd choose nudity as the thing to be offended by and not violence, even more so when it's not even close to anything verging on suggestive let alone gratuitous. Cultural differences I suppose.

Right time to step off my soap box before I go off on one. Though after hearing more of the soundtrack now I might pull the trigger on this now.

Saw this on Steam the day the Summer Sale ended and was immediately drawn to it. The art is beautiful and it seemed fun to play from the trailer. And since they were already offering a 33% discount, I bought it then and there.

Considering the Zeno Clash games, I can trust these guys as far as my tastes go.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This game has been on my watch list since reveal but this is pushing it into my cart on Steam! Who's doing the OST?

A Patricio Meneses composed for Zeno Clash 1 and 2 as well as Rock of Ages (aka all the other games ACE Team has developed) so my money is on him.

Edit: Yep, it's their in-house composer: This Video says so right near the end :)

I also like how (Zeno Clash 2 Spoilers)
this game is ALSO set in Chile, wonder if there's continuity with this game and Zeno Clash series, which takes place in distant future Chile

Vazra

A Patricio Meneses composed for Zeno Clash 1 and 2 as well as Rock of Ages (aka all the other games ACE Team has developed) so my money is on him.

Edit: Yep, it's their in-house composer: This Video says so right near the end :)

I also like how (Zeno Clash 2 Spoilers)
this game is ALSO set in Chile, wonder if there's continuity with this game and Zeno Clash series, which takes place in distant future Chile

That would be interesting if that happened. I like that idea.

Thank you based Ghost Monk. You are the only character I will ever play.

Don't think so. Think of 2D Beat em ups mixed with Smash bros like combat and RPG elements. There is some exploration to it so I guess I see where it comes the Metroid part.

This game has a combo counter and actual combos. It's already more of a fighter than any Smash game I've ever played. :lol

Vazra

There might be a connection between Zeno Clash and Abyss Odyssey if the developers feel like it as they are located in Chile. Different timelines but still Chile. Dont think it will happen but it might be something interesting if it did.

Ozium

There might be a connection between Zeno Clash and Abyss Odyssey if the developers feel like it as they are located in Chile. Different timelines but still Chile. Dont think it will happen but it might be something interesting if it did.

I don't remember Zeno Clash 2 taking place in Chile.. I know they revealed that Xenoark (or however it's spelled) was some experimental colony built by the future people, but Chile? whaaaat? Maybe I should play Zeno Clash 2 again before Abyss.

Vazra

I don't remember Zeno Clash 2 taking place in Chile.. I know they revealed that Xenoark (or however it's spelled) was some experimental colony built by the future people, but Chile? whaaaat? Maybe I should play Zeno Clash 2 again before Abyss.

LOL IDK Im just going by what he said.

This game has my full attention. They should release more enemy designs (not too many though) and gameplay to view though.

Oh yay, thanks for making the thread. I'm pretty hyped for this. Nice to see 2D action games trying to have as much depth as fighting games, which also goes for Aztez.

Oh yay, thanks for making the thread. I'm pretty hyped for this. Nice to see 2D action games trying to have as much depth as fighting games, which also goes for Aztez.

OT, but is that game ever coming out? It's been announced for quite sometime now and given a tentative release year of 2014, but nothing since then.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Aw man, I'm gonna be away from my PS3 and PC for three more weeks. I would love this on Vita (which I brought on my trip) but if not happening, I can wait.

Top Bottom