• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Abyss Odyssey |OT| A Warlock's Nightmare From Which I Am Trying To Awake

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
iK6O4Kl7dncCn.jpg
thought she might be a strong female lead character but she's just another male fantasy

Corpekata

Banned
Played some Ghost Monk. Spoilered for the sensitive:

Okay, first thing you should probably do is die on purpose. Both characters get a free extra ability in the limbo area between deaths so you might as well get it out of the way and start with that ability.

Ghost Monk's a bit slower but more powerful. Better juggler, his throw can be comboed into a lot easier than Kat.

It looks like each character gets their own Soldier spawn. GM's soldier is a bit slower too but I think I like his moves better. Both aren't exactly fun compared to other characters.

Figured out what the tiers of Camps mean. The number corresponds to respawns. Bought a 2 token and received two respawns.

You get skill points every three levels, I highly recommend putting them into Skill Cancels before upgrading skills. Being able to cancel 3 times will be more useful than a 14 percent damage buff on a skill, especially early on.

GM seemed to get mana a lot faster than Kat, which means capturing pokemon is easier on him.

Gold is shared between characters but not levelling, so you'll probably want to start in the first area when you unlock a character to get them some experience.

So tempted to read those spoilers but I won't.

Corpekata you lucky SOB, I'll be looking at them after the game hits, and not a moment before.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
So tempted to read those spoilers but I won't.

Corpekata you lucky SOB, I'll be looking at them after the game hits, and not a moment before.

I think those spoilers dont need to be spoilered tagged. It basically talks a bit more about the difference between characters and some mechanics.

Ozium

I love how the combat and art looks but I wish this was a properly "designed" game with a full fledged world like a Metroidvania or Dark Souls and not a coffee break roguelike (although of course a 1 hr playthrough is stretching that definition a bit). I suppose they don't have the budget for that so here's hoping this sells well and gets an expanded sequel.

it would require less of a budget to not do procedural generation so what are you talking about?
it's a game design choice...

do people here get mad at spelunky when they die in the ice caves?

Corpekata

Banned
Yeah I'm just erring on the side of caution. If you're just looking for mechanics and whatnot, you can probably read my spoilers. I just know some people are really annoyed by ANY sort of info so I tagged them just in case.

Ozium

Yeah I'm just erring on the side of caution. If you're just looking for mechanics and whatnot, you can probably read my spoilers. I just know some people are really annoyed by ANY sort of info so I tagged them just in case.

a lot of the fun in roguelite games for many people is the unknown and the fear and discovery that comes with it so props to you

Munin

it would require less of a budget to not do procedural generation so what are you talking about?

Of course more hand crafted content takes more effort and money than procedural generation? Is this even an argument?

Vazra

Of course more hand crafted content takes more effort and money than procedural generation? Is this even an argument?

Depends on the team really. You are still creating all the assets for the procedurally generated games as building blocks but they are organized at random and it might be more work on the programming side of things to make sure the game doesn't create impossible to beat stages.

Vazra

Atlus have a stream and yesterday they streamed nothing but P4AU (almost 12 hours of Persona). It makes sense considering it's EVO but it'd be nice if Abyss Odyssey got a bit of stream time.

How hard could it be to have an alternate channel or give AO 1 hour of streaming and then go back to Persona.

Vazra

Agreed. I really think a lot of FG peeps (both, those watching and attending) would dig this game.

At least they got the game there to hopefully generate some interest but the lack of streaming is not helping the fact the game is not well known. A few minor streams could help the game if they announced them.

Corpekata

Banned
Gonna get going with stream in about 10 minutes. First time really streaming outside of just testing things out like a year ago so bear with me.

Strider

Thanks for the stream Corpekata.

I only watched for a few minutes bc I didn't want to see too much, but it looked pretty damn good from what I saw.

Corpekata

Banned
No problem. Was glad some of the surprises were streamed, have about 5 hours clocked now and still getting surprised by
Odin (achievement calls him Verbum Dei, which translates roughly to Word of God) and the base invasion.

Also it looks like Ace Team confirmed that the way to unlock Ghost Monk is to kill a miniboss, which are those red veiny ghost type things that appear every 4th or so floor. They didn't say how to unlock the third character.

Killing Odin with 60 health left was one of my prouder recent gaming moments so I'm glad I managed to kill him at the tail end of the stream after losing so much.

Gonna archive from now on and look into fixing my mic issues and may try again Sunday or Monday.

Ozium

the closer we get to release the more it taunts me in my steam library (already favorited, waiting to be installed)

This is gonna be one of those games that I go back to over and over again, especially with ACE Team adding new content and the community unlock system...

Vazra

the closer we get to release the more it taunts me in my steam library (already favorited, waiting to be installed)

This is gonna be one of those games that I go back to over and over again, especially with ACE Team adding new content and the community unlock system...

The game being randomly generated and if they update it with more content as they say they will it could be really a beast of replayability if everything is well put together. I hope they do add CPU VS option cause otherwise I wont be able to play the game VS Mode until they patch online -_-

Just found this thread after hearing about the game for the first time in the PS blog "Drop" post. This looks fantastic, I've already devourered everything I could find on it. This is going to be a definite pick-up.

Vazra

Just found this thread after hearing about the game for the first time in the PS blog "Drop" post. This looks fantastic, I've already devourered everything I could find on it. This is going to be a definite pick-up.

By any chance they had new footage? I havent checked PS Blog in ages.

Vazra

No. Just a short little section that says it's available this week. Sony are pushing the Destiny Beta so hard I'm kinda surprised it got any attention at all from them.

Shouldnt surprise me. Not even Atlus streamed the game at EVO. All they streamed was Persona 4 Arena Ultimax which while amazing as it is they could have done a side stream for 1 hour or 2 of Abyss Odyssey VS Mode.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Because of ACE Team's / Atlus fine-ass 33% off for pre-ordering the game, I'm IN.

Also Ghost Monk looks badass.

Edit:

Work as a community to defeat the final boss together. When the collective community of Abyss Odyssey players defeats the final boss enough times, his mask breaks to reveal a new identity. Each time this is achieved, new content will be unlocked in game, including new enemies and other dynamics.

Holy fuck, that's really really cool.

vg260

Because of ACE Team's / Atlus fine-ass 33% off for pre-ordering the game, I'm IN.

Yeah, that's a good initial offer, and the team making the game seem pretty cool, so I'm gonna pre-order now.

If you pre-order a game with pre-order bonus item (soundtrack), but store it as a gift, does the recipient still get it once claimed in their library?

Vazra

Yeah, that's a good initial offer, and the team making the game seem pretty cool, so I'm gonna pre-order now.

If you pre-order a game with pre-order bonus item (soundtrack), but store it as a gift, does the recipient still get it once claimed in their library?

Gotta activate the game before release it seems. I dont have concrete info so I'll look around.

EDIT: Yeah must be activated before release.

Any more impressions and streams? Interested for sure but still want to see more and read some impressions regarding how responsive the controls and combat are. Maybe we'll see some reviews this afternoon?

Ozium

Any more impressions and streams? Interested for sure but still want to see more and read some impressions regarding how responsive the controls and combat are. Maybe we'll see some reviews this afternoon?

Reviews won't hit until release day.

Corpekata said the controls are responsive

Genki

Screw it: pre-ordered. Wasn't going to when I found out Shantae is coming out tomorrow too, but what the hell...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm so fucking excited to see all the enemy designs in this game. Am I crazy for hoping for a midnight release?

Top Bottom