• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Abyss Odyssey |OT| A Warlock's Nightmare From Which I Am Trying To Awake

Ozium

Super end game spoilers for Zeno Clash 2 - Check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxsoKEv8YOw#t=556

The landmass you see is Chile

Yeah, OK.. but how does that mean it takes place there? I thought it was just showing the Earth and that
Zenoark isn't some alien land, which is then further explained by it being an experimental colony. I figured they just showed Chile as an easter egg... I don't think it confirms Zeno Clash taking place there)

edit: this game needs trading cards

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Yeah, OK.. but how does that mean it takes place there? I thought it was just showing the Earth and that
Zenoark isn't some alien land, which is then further explained by it being an experimental colony. I figured they just showed Chile as an easter egg... I don't think it confirms Zeno Clash taking place there)

And another sequel.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

There's also this:

Steam User Forums said:
I also just thought of something; in one of the stones, they say that Zenozoik is protected by;
a desert in the north
the ocean to the west
mountains to the east
and frigid temperatures in the south

Isn't that all true of Chile, as well? The atacama desert, the south of chile is close to the south pole, the andes and then the ocean?

I'm a believer for sure :D

It makes sense how absolutely surreal Zeno Clash is considering Jodorowsky is from the same country.

irtWneQHR0nvG.gif

isbrhNmSqg4kq.gif

ibcVu5Ub3Z4Q0o.jpg

iuudmYxjzIetI.jpg

iP6VxqnfFoSdS.jpg

ibbo0LMcwSbdwI.jpg

Oh wow, just found out that Zeno Clash got the Dead End Thrills treatment!!!

Vazra

Sheeeeeit, didn't realise this was going to be available at launch (remember a while back them saying it might be post-release)!

It will be at launch but offline. They will patch it a bit later. I like how varied the cast seems in speed and strength lord.

Edit: I guess console version will get it once they are done implementing the online. If PC Only then ouch for those who wanted Vs Mode.

destx

Mmm, I just bought this, I was going to wait but then I found out it has online coop and a redonk discount right now. The combat and art look super great.

Corpekata

Banned
Not sure where the trader got it that I just got it from but I snagged a prerelease copy for a few keys. So I dunno, they might be being a little liberal with their press copies or something. I'll post some impressions after diving in, though that may not be until tomorrow evening.

Ozium

Mmm, I just bought this, I was going to wait but then I found out it has online coop and a redonk discount right now. The combat and art look super great.

you also get a soundtrack for pre-ordering on Steam, along with the discount... if anyone is at all interested in this game best buy it now...

unless it sucks

which it won't

Vazra

Not sure where the trader got it that I just got it from but I snagged a prerelease copy for a few keys. So I dunno, they might be being a little liberal with their press copies or something. I'll post some impressions after diving in, though that may not be until tomorrow evening.

Boy post already!

Corpekata

Banned
Only played a little past the prologue. Spoilering for the sensitive. I haven't followed what exactly is common knowledge about the game yet so some of this may be known already.

Game is a bit harder than I expected, the whole Super Smash Bros influence is apparent even early on. Combat is fun but I can see it putting some people off until they get more abilities.

May want to die early on (outside of the prologue). I got my second special ability from doing so, not sure if it is randomized or what but it's a good one that I can see using with combos a lot more than the basic one you get.

When I died I spawned as generic soldier. You can play as them in order to get to an altar, where you'll be resurrected. I never reached one though.

Also didn't know you were limited to just the 1 playable character at the start. Guess you have to unlock Ghost Monk and the other woman?

Music is fan flipping tastic.

Altazor

Oh man, there's a moment in the 7 minute gameplay video where a very recognizable chilean landmark appears
it's not the Abyss
and I'm like "oh god, I never thought I'd be able to see that place in a videogame".

It's the Cerro Santa Lucía (Santa Lucía Hill) and, from what I gather, it's one of the entrances to the Abyss in the game. They did a bloody good job of translating the beauty of the place. Feels good man.

Vazra

Only played a little past the prologue. Spoilering for the sensitive. I haven't followed what exactly is common knowledge about the game yet so some of this may be known already.

Game is a bit harder than I expected, the whole Super Smash Bros influence is apparent even early on. Combat is fun but I can see it putting some people off until they get more abilities.

May want to die early on (outside of the prologue). I got my second special ability from doing so, not sure if it is randomized or what but it's a good one that I can see using with combos a lot more than the basic one you get.

When I died I spawned as generic soldier. You can play as them in order to get to an altar, where you'll be resurrected. I never reached one though.

Also didn't know you were limited to just the 1 playable character at the start. Guess you have to unlock Ghost Monk and the other woman?

Music is fan flipping tastic.

Hope to see you posting more on what you find. The game difficulty is selected at random but there is a easy route where you will get less hard stages. (this was known thanks to the first 7 minutes of the game and Steam Community talk).
The soldier was known but not mentioned on the thread
The 1 playable character I think it changes on later. Also the power ups and abilities among other things are random.

Oh man, there's a moment in the 7 minute gameplay video where a very recognizable chilean landmark appears
it's not the Abyss
and I'm like "oh god, I never thought I'd be able to see that place in a videogame".

It's the Cerro Santa Lucía (Santa Lucía Hill) and, from what I gather, it's one of the entrances to the Abyss in the game. They did a bloody good job of translating the beauty of the place. Feels good man.

They talked about it in one of their vids. It is nice to see a different place being represented instead of generic US or JP city.

Ozium

it's not the Abyss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y013MdiPuhs

Coreda

Hyped for this game. Does it work well with KB/M? I notice some screenshots and trailers feature controller button graphics for prompts.

Vazra

Hyped for this game. Does it work well with KB/M? I notice some screenshots and trailers feature controller button graphics for prompts.

They say it is compatible with Keyboard but they do recommend a controller. We'll see.

Corpekata

Banned
Getting into the groove. Most runs I could barely make it to the like 4th room which has a miniboss. Last run I made it like 10+ rooms and collected two new abilities. Combat gets quite fun when you've got a full arsenal and you get into the groove. I can still see the combat feeling frustrating to some people but those that give it a chance will probably dig it.

I unlocked the Ghost Monk, but I'm not sure what exactly unlocked him. It was after that long run so it may be distance? Killing the minibosses? Collecting a certain amount of the Warlock pages? Unsure.

There's a yellow room on the map sometimes, worth going to, it's basically a treasure vault room. There's a wishing well that you can desposit gold into. My effect seemed to have been some sort of trial room as the next room I spawned as this creepy see through fire mummy and couldn't switch back until I cleared the room.

Speakling of the mosnters you unlock, you get them by using your mana ability. You'll do a short range blast which will hurt and debuff any enemy it hits. if you kill the enemy you can then pick up their soul. Some are quite useful, some are fairly lame, but it's worth always having at least one because they have their own health bars so you can save your hero's health for when it is really needed.

Encountered the Devil character and he gave me some ability that...I'm not sure what it does? Doesn't appear to do anything on first glance. I didn't want to mess with it too much since I was on a good run but will look into it later.

For some reason I was getting helped out by soldiers randomly at times. I thought maybe at first it was on levels where I'd done something (you can find dying soldiers) but it seemed to be pretty random.

Not a huge fan of the lack of saving, that long run I did seemed to take be about an hour so you'll need to have some time on your hands if you want to make a real run at the game.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Not a huge fan of the lack of saving, that long run I did seemed to take be about an hour so you'll need to have some time on your hands if you want to make a real run at the game.

Ugh, first disappointing thing I've heard about the game. Even roguelikes whose sole point is for you to make it through in one run should at least have temporary saves that delete when you load them.

Istaerion

Is there no saving at all... or is the save functionality something akin to Diablo III where dungeon/story progress is constantly reset but you retain your levels and whatnot?

Corpekata

Banned
It's like Binding of Isaac, complete the run or start over if you quit. You do save in the character progression sense though (gold, abilities, level).

Vazra

Is there no saving at all... or is the save functionality something akin to Diablo III where dungeon/story progress is constantly reset but you retain your levels and whatnot?

It seems you keep levels and abilities but not the stage progress. I shall ask around and see if I can get some info on that.

Also the game can be beaten quickly once you know what you're doing from what it seems. A Hard run is usually shorter and it could take around 1 hour to do once you got good on the game or so the developers said and the easier route would take longer times. I see the game will have leaderboards so I guess I'll see many people doing speed runs on the game.

Istaerion

It's like Binding of Isaac, complete the run or start over if you quit. You do save in the character progression sense though (gold, abilities, level).

It seems you keep levels and abilities but not the stage progress. I shall ask around and see if I can get some info on that.

Alright, that was my main worry. It's still pretty disappointing to hear that stage progress gets completely reset, but I'll reserve my opinion regarding that until I see more of just how they work.

In any event, thank you both for the information/assistance!

Vazra

Alright, that was my main worry. It's still pretty disappointing to hear that stage progress gets completely reset, but I'll reserve my opinion regarding that until I see more of just how they work.

In any event, thank you both for the information/assistance!

I think it would be a big problem if it takes too much time to acquire all the necessary abilities but if it is at a adequate pace to get them and if the player understands the mechanics of the game quickly it might be a big issue. I know Atlus likes publishing hard games and this seems to follow their philosophy but it would be nice if they made some save rooms and if you die that save room would be removed to follow the permadeath aspect of it. (Still keeping the obtained abilities)

Ozium

smh at people mad at no saving.. they've said from the beginning this has rogue(lite) elements...

I welcome it.

Vazra

smh at people mad at no saving.. they've said from the beginning this has rogue(lite) elements...

I welcome it.

People said it was only procedural content and no permadeath before correcting me.
KuGsj.gif

Im ok with it as I got tons of time to play it.

Dr Dogg

I wonder what the chances of this getting a preload are? Might just end up spamming steam://install/255070 into the browser all day Tuesday.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

I welcome it.

Like I said, I only want temp saving. The kind that's tantamount to pausing the game and resuming later, except you can turn your system off. It literally has no affect on the progression or flow of the game at all, and you can't save-scum it.

Vazra

I wonder what the chances of this getting a preload are? Might just end up spamming steam://install/255070 into the browser all day Tuesday.

They wont preload. They already said they will be fine tuning until the final day so I guess the ones playing now might be getting updates as they go at it.

Coreda

I wonder how long the stages are. If they were manageable no checkpoint-like saves would be okay I suppose, but if it's easy enough to die mid-way it could get frustrating.

Given they've made what looks to be a great game this far, I have less concern it will be a major issue. Still, we'll see.

Munin

I love how the combat and art looks but I wish this was a properly "designed" game with a full fledged world like a Metroidvania or Dark Souls and not a coffee break roguelike (although of course a 1 hr playthrough is stretching that definition a bit). I suppose they don't have the budget for that so here's hoping this sells well and gets an expanded sequel.

Vazra

I love how the combat and art looks but I wish this was a properly "designed" game with a full fledged world like a Metroidvania or Dark Souls and not a coffee break roguelike (although of course a 1 hr playthrough is stretching that definition a bit). I suppose they don't have the budget for that so here's hoping this sells well and gets an expanded sequel.

1 hour if you are experienced with the game and playing on the hard route of the game. First run will take some time to do it. We'll see how that goes.

Corpekata

Banned
The altars are checkpoints so you respawn once if you die. The items you need for them are called Camp tokens, they're pretty rare drops but the second base you open has a vendor that sells them (first base sells weapons). There's an NPC that will move you between bases for 10 gold in case you need both weapons and Camp tokens. They don't act as save points. There's multiple tiers of the token, but not sure what they mean. They're supposed to be like "your camp is better protected" but the upper tiers were too expensive for me to find out if that means more respawns or what. There are also random vendors spread throughout but their inventory is random so it can't be counted on.

Vazra

The altars are checkpoints so you respawn once if you die. The items you need for them are called Camp tokens, they're pretty rare drops but the second base you open has a vendor that sells them (first base sells weapons). They don't act as save points. There's multiple tiers of the token, but not sure what they mean. They're supposed to be like "your camp is better protected" but the upper tiers were too expensive for me to find out if that means more respawns or what. There are also random vendors spread throughout but their inventory is random so it can't be counted on.

Dude can you stream the game or record a video and post on youtube showcasing your skills which hopefully are better than the guys on the 7 minute video?

Top Bottom