• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After Chrono Trigger, what is the SNES' next best RPG?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
With so many people praising FF6 in here, what's the currently best version to play? Just get the SNES version and play it there? The Steam version does not seem convincing, reading some of the reviews. Are there any new versions that actually made improvements?

There is no definitive version unless you start messing with mods and emulation.

SNES version has some bugs and lacks some content and quality of life improvements in the GBA and later versions. GBA version has worse sound quality and the color is off. Translations are different and both are fine, each has its defenders and detractors.

GBA version can be modded to fix the sound and color, which is the closest thing to a definitive version.

Lothar

Banned
Earthbound > Chrono Trigger > Lufia 2 > Final Fantasy 4 > Secret of Mana > Final Fantasy 6 > Illusion of Gaia > Terranigma > Lufia 1 > Soul Blazer > FF:Mystic Quest > Super Mario RPG > Secret of Evermore > Breath of Fire 2 > Tales of Phantasia > Breath of Fire > 7th Saga

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
With so many people praising FF6 in here, what's the currently best version to play? Just get the SNES version and play it there? The Steam version does not seem convincing, reading some of the reviews. Are there any new versions that actually made improvements?
IMO the Steam/iOS/Android version is EASILY the best version if you can get past the high-res sprites. The fast-forward/auto battle is such a huge improvement.

b3b0p

I wish people would actually discuss, intelligently and make the case for their choice.

I have my answer to the OP, but I'm not going to say it because I'm not prepared at the moment to make a case for it and backup such strong a statement (as can be seen in this thread).

FFVI or SMRPG

Earthbound is probably one of the most overrated Nintendo games ever tbh. Sure it's pretty neat that such an old RPG didn't feature a fantasy/medieval setting, the game has its style. However, while it may be full of quirks and funny dialogue, it's still a simple RPG with simple character growth mechanics and combat(critical hits... ugh). On top of that, there is barely any reason to interact with the world. There is almost no sidequests and a bunch of interesting things aren't used more than once, such as using the telephone with characters that aren't your family or Summers not being as fleshed out as the other cities. FFVI has a much more interesting character growth system/story structure and SMRPG has better battle mechanics and level design, both are much more fulfilling games to play

Joei

Earthbound > Chrono Trigger > Lufia 2 > Final Fantasy 4 > Secret of Mana > Final Fantasy 6 > Illusion of Gaia > Terranigma > Lufia 1 > Soul Blazer > FF:Mystic Quest > Super Mario RPG > Secret of Evermore > Breath of Fire 2 > Tales of Phantasia > Breath of Fire > 7th Saga

I beat 7th Saga like 3 times. So much time I wasted in my youth.

Aeana

I wish people would actually discuss, intelligently and make the case for their choice.

I have my answer to the OP, but I'm not going to say it because I'm not prepared at the moment to make a case for it and backup such strong a statement (as can be seen in this thread).

The thread started off poorly by asserting that CT is the best without a case. This entire thread is doomed.

DiscoJer

Ogre Battle if that counts. It's a SRPG (actually strategy, not tactics) and when I played it for the first time, I was amazed at all the little details on the maps and units.

More traditionally, I liked Final Fantasy 2 (or IV, rather) a lot more than III (VI), which I think felt bloated.

FFVI or SMRPG

Earthbound is probably one of the most overrated Nintendo games ever tbh. Sure it's pretty neat that such an old RPG didn't feature a fantasy/medieval setting, the game has its style. However, while it may be full of quirks and funny dialogue, it's still a simple RPG with simple character growth mechanics and combat(critical hits... ugh). On top of that, there is barely any reason to interact with the world. There is almost no sidequests and a bunch of interesting things aren't used more than once, such as using the telephone with characters that aren't your family or Summers not being as fleshed out as the other cities. FFVI has a much more interesting character growth system/story structure and SMRPG has better battle mechanics and level design, both are much more fulfilling games to play

only good thing earthbound had were those ads in the mags. scratch and sniff. Smelled just how I felt about that game, shit.

1upsuper

My top five (not counting ports/remakes, which would drastically change this list):

EarthBound >= Final Fantasy VI = Dragon Quest V >= Final Fantasy V > Chrono Trigger

b3b0p

The thread started off poorly by asserting that CT is the best without a case. This entire thread is doomed.

Good point. Darn. Would be fun topic to actually discuss. I'd like knowing everyones actual legitimate reasoning behind their decisions.

TriAceJP

After? Super Mario RPG.

Before? Earthbound and Final Fantasy V.

Missing Star Ocean and Dragon Quest, fam.

Fou-Lu

The best SNES RPGs in no particular order are:

Terranigma
Earthbound
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI

Followed closely by (and probably missing a few that don't come immediately to mind):

Breath of Fire II
Dragon Quest V
Final Fantasy IV and V
Lufia 2

Chrono Trigger is undoubtly a masterpiece, but I certainly wouldn't call it unarguably better than Earthbound, FF6 or Terranigma. All four of which are whimsical, charming, beautiful, touching and incredibly well crafted.

Call me cliche, but its a tough 3 way tie between ffvi, secret of mana, super mario rpg. Now i like earthbound alot, but i like those games more

FF VI >> CT >>>>> Secret of Mana (SD2 -- I love SD3 but don't think it holds up as well as a total package) >>> all the rest (and a lot of the rest is still super good).

I'm not that sure it's undisputed, Dragon Quest V is damn close. If CT is first, then DQV is the easy second, or vice versa. Has one of the best stories in any video game ever.

Although you'd play the fan-translated PS2 version in 2017 as there was some additional story content which made it even better then it was originally.

Third place is a lot tougher, maybe SMRPG, DQVI, Terranigma, Evermore, Star Ocean, Der Langrisser, Bahamut Lagoon or Phantasia in that position. Probably SMRPG.

I have a soft spot for BOF2, but the encounter rate makes the game a pain at times, so I can't really class it in the same tier.

Phil Fish

Banned
Bahamut Lagoon

coverfrontre0.jpg

This game sucked.

StereoVsn

Did DQV or VI make it to the West on SNES? If so, then I'd take those (after FFVI and CT). Lufia 2 is damn good as well.

- DQV - good story, good characters, fun escapades, good combat system
- DQVI - similar to above, more on characters but less on overall story and I probably liked DQV overall systems more
- Lufia 2 - a truly great game with pretty much almost everything working right from storyline to characters to combat. It's unfortunate that GBA/DS releases were so bad.

I'd also take FFVI before CT.

Edit: Oh yeah, BoF 2 came out on SNES, that was a damn good RPG.

Did DQV or VI make it to the West on SNES? If so, then I'd take those (after FFVI and CT). Lufia 2 is damn good as well.

- DQV - good story, good characters, fun escapades, good combat system
- DQVI - similar to above, more on characters but less on overall story and I probably liked DQV overall systems more
- Lufia 2 - a truly great game with pretty much almost everything working right from storyline to characters to combat. It's unfortunate that GBA/DS releases were so bad.

I'd also take FFVI before CT.

Neither did. DQV has a great snes fan translation, DQVI has a 95% done translation that is slightly buggy but completable.

120v

No question... FFVI

Secret of mana would be a very, very close runner up if it werent such a buggy mess in places

wtd2009

this is a toss up for me. depending on the day it's FFVI, chrono, earthbound, secret of mana or smrpg. Really tough to rank them.

Top Bottom